Poll: If Diablo 3 had a subscription fee, how many subscribers do you think it would have?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Diablo 3 monthly fee? (WoW related)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam purus felis, gravida vel tortor ac, maximus dictum nibh. Proin commodo nisl sit amet velit lobortis dapibus. Donec vel consequat tellus. Sed varius nunc ante, eget cursus felis maximus in. Vestibulum orci nisi, volutpat ut luctus at, sodales ut est. Morbi blandit, turpis sed elementum condimentum, nunc nulla aliquam ligula, sed posuere turpis dui imperdiet magna. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nunc auctor ultricies erat non mattis. Praesent et leo placerat, luctus quam eget, auctor tortor. Sed quis justo in ex molestie tristique.
    Last edited by mmoc531689d327; 2017-06-05 at 07:26 PM.

Because it's what Blizzard believes their customers want. I mean, every time there's a prune, for example, the reception is mostly positive across the board for whatever reason.

RNG is needed because of the playerbase Blizzard is trying to hold the interest of.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea. How many copies of Diablo 3 has been sold again? Considering most people that have a copy probably isn't playing it anymore it would be a lot less then that. Then if they want money every month to .. even fewer.

That said WOW sold a lot of copies but of all the copies sold most players probably don't play anymore. But still I think there would be more WOW players then D3 players if the numbers got compared.

The problem with a subscription model for D3 is new seasons get a massive influx of people. About 2-4 weeks after that that huge influx stops playing as most players will have already completed their journey and are "done".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, how would we ever know and I can't even imagine why we would care. They aren't going to do that for D3 anyway. I doubt if any of their games going forward from now will ever have subscriptions. Pointless poll.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I like it but hardly play it now. If they added subscriptions I would never buy expansions. Based on how quickly people stop playing after new seasons start I am pretty sure I am not alone.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Diablo 3 requires far fewer resources to maintain than WoW. It's unnecessary. It also has a much smaller team. There would be no point. Diablo relies on expansion sales.

Diablo 3 is more of a classical game, which can be finished + it has some extras (+ they also release occasional Patches and seasons)

WoW was designed to be a game, that can be played virtually forever, as it doesn't have an ending or a real goal

Quote Originally Posted by Hablah View Post
    If Blizzard charged a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 how many people would do you think would play the game?

If less than the current WoW subscriber number then why does Blizzard insist on turning WoW into Diablo 3 with all the RNG stats, RNG legendaries, ability pruning and so on?
    The difference between WoW and Diablo 3 is that Diablo 3 doesn't receive regular content updates. They are literally incomparable.

RNG stats and such have nothing to do with it.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Subscription fees will never be a thing again, in any game. The only reason WoW can still get away with it is because the game is 12 years old and "it's kind of always been there."

It's not a matter of turning the game into D3. It's about keeping players on the gearing treadmill to keep them chasing after bigger upgrades while waiting on new content instead of unsubscribing right after they're done and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    The difference between WoW and Diablo 3 is that Diablo 3 isn't supposed to receive regular content updates.
    There, fixed it for you.

Nobody would play it, lol!
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

If Blizzard charged a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 how many people would do you think would play the game?

If less than the current WoW subscriber number then why does Blizzard insist on turning WoW into Diablo 3 with all the RNG stats, RNG legendaries, ability pruning and so on?
    That would be an increadably dumb decision, Diablo 3 is free for a reason, Blizzard would be shooting themselves hard, in the foot.

As to why... because its an effort to artifically lengthen the games existance by adding random chances of getting Warforged, which nearly everyone needs to be effective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    The difference between WoW and Diablo 3 is that Diablo 3 doesn't receive regular content updates. They are literally incomparable.

RNG stats and such have nothing to do with it.
    Yeah, except D3 has had more major patches over the course of WoD than WoW has. Aren't facts fun?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    The current edition of Diablo 3 is a pretty good game. Not because of the foundation, but because of all the added features, which came with RoS and its current patches. Many of these features are pretty great, and the team at WoW is trying to copy some of these features, because they were so well recieved. I don't know if they will be that well received in WoW, but atleast they are trying to improve the mediocre game, which is WoW right now. If they just added new content and not any new features or reworks, i would take that as a sign, that Blizzard have given up on WoW.

So, just because WoW is adopting some of the features from D3, does not mean, that they are turning the game into D3. They are just trying to take the good things and add it to the game. That is why, there is no reason to talk about monthly sub for D3, since WoW is a completly different game, with a completly different game structure and set-up.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

What if Diablo 3 had a new expansion every 2 years similar to WoW? The only reason why it requires less resources than WoW is because less people play the game and they release expansions slower.
    No, the reason is because WoW is an MMO catering to millions of players running on a very old engine with an enormous codebase and far more art, music, and animation assets. WoW has many, many more servers than Diablo and requires technicians to maintain all of them, as well as update and replace them, as they did for coalesced realms, xrealms, garrisons, etc.

Diablo 3 as it is is a very good game, better than launch. But we consume content differently and more quickly now. The team has been very creative with how they cater to that and I think Diablo 3 has mostly served as a lab for new features in other games.

However, the franchise needs new expansions faster--most take a break after the season rush. I have since the D2 days.

I think I remember a job listing hiring for position(s) for the Diablo team on a new type of game, not a repeat of the last three. I may be remembering incorrectly. I think it was on MMOC a while ago.
    Last edited by Magistrate; 2016-06-03 at 06:33 PM.

I know how much I'd pay: nothing. I already paid for the game once, and I pay for their expansions. They don't add content like WoW gets, so why would I pay a monthly fee?

Deleted
    It would loose 90% of it's playerbase. Nobody wants to pay to have an near endless hunt for ever tinier upgrades.
    Diablo Seaons are fun for about 24 hours playtime... after that it's running for the tiny chance of a tiny upgrade that let's you push the next rift tier. And if you don't care about rift tiers you are done after 24 hours, maybe double that for all the season challenges...

If they charge me for that, I say fuck it and go to another f2p loot-hunter game... Diablo ain't good enough to charge and WoW slowly looses that status too, hence the Tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yeah, except D3 has had more major patches over the course of WoD than WoW has. Aren't facts fun?!
    I love how Diablo 3 fans think that a patch that alters a handful of abilities is a major patch. Oh, new season? MAJOR PATCH! ... no.

The majority of D3's patches aren't content patches, they're balancing patches. A new season and a bunch of abilities getting slightly altered is not a major patch. It's a glorified ladder reset and a way to convince players that the same game they've been playing for years now is worth playing again.

Yes, facts are fun. Here's a fun fact: It's not hard to release patches when the majority of what you're doing is adjusting abilities and adding new achievements for old content.

The Hellfire Citadel raid was more content than Diablo 3 has ever seen in all of their content patches combined.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2016-06-03 at 07:11 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu