*smacks Advent with her Majestas*

Hands OFF!

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, you're first!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Don't trust the Lalafell, It's a trap!
    Now that you said it, she looks like the shadiest Lalafell.

10+ Year Old Account
    And further seperating the dream of new players joining the wonderful world of FF14. Just to think, before I read this I was just about ready to make the plunge. Maybe FF17 will be newbie friendly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantombeard View Post
    And further seperating the dream of new players joining the wonderful world of FF14. Just to think, before I read this I was just about ready to make the plunge. Maybe FF17 will be newbie friendly.
    Hmmm? What do you mean? This Gane is insanely new player friendly and they are even upgrading start gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Erm.. this game is as new player friendly as they come.
    Don't worry and enjoy the ride.

Uhm game is super newbie friendly. The grind for the relic is entirely optional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The grind for the relic is entirely optional.
    Yep, gear treadmill speed and falling behind problematic isn't even half as noticeable as it is in WoW.

As a matter of fact: I don't think they will introduce a new Tier of combat gear in 3.3. Merely upgrading the current one via weekly gated item.
    So plenty of time for those of us that want to gear up alt specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, gear treadmill speed and falling behind problematic isn't even half as noticeable as it is in WoW.

As a matter of fact: I don't think they will introduce a new Tier of combat gear in 3.3. Merely upgrading the current one via weekly gated item.
    So plenty of time for those of us that want to gear up alt specs.
    Bingo 3.4 will be the next tier sooooooo about 3 months until lol

Its interesting to see almost straight across the board medicine and potions effect buffs/cooldown reductions. They must really want deep dungeon players to rely on going in with a bag of tools to use if they solo or simply go without a healer.

Which honestly i can get behind. Alchemist can make some useful stuff in this regard that otherwise is useless in a trinity mandatory scenario, its a huge problem with lots of mmorpgs.

and maybe its the monster hunter player in me but as a wee babby pally in vanilla wow i loved mixing up a stack of potions to hang on to for emergencies, i like having consumables matter like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well pots always were a little ... ridiculous.

They still are, but oh well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I'm grateful that they are nerfing the crystal anima stage. 3 months with no drop in Sea of Clouds is maddening! On another positive note, we're on page 1337. You know what this means, men! Panty raid!
    There is no way that is possible unless you re doing like 1-2 fates a day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    There is no way that is possible unless you re doing like 1-2 fates a day
    Please learn about Mathematics, esp probability and statistics.

It IS possible (albeit extremely unlikely).

15+ Year Old Account
    *chuckles*
    Hold on to your pants when you see step three.
    Suffice it to say: it isn't really bruteforce-able w/o going insane and hating the game.
    Take your time.
    There are other options if you need a weapon of similar item level quickly.
    You can brute force the unidentifiables actually, and I'd say it takes money, but I even managed to make money in the process, but that's with crafting.

Wyvernskin maps: unidentifiable shells, sell everything, make expeditioner gear if you can, sells for a lot.

Dragonskin maps: This may not work with dragonskins sky rocketing in price now, but get a friend that will help you out and pass on the ore. Thavnarian stuff is easily craftable even with moderately melded basic crafting set.

- - - Updated - - -

Please learn about Mathematics, esp probability and statistics.

It IS possible (albeit extremely unlikely).
    The worst RNG I ever got with crystals was 3 days of azys lla 6-7 hours a day with no crystals, and I have 8 weapons at the 200 step. All the rest took a couple of hours average per zone, and some were less than 30 minutes. I don't see someone doing FATEs in sea of clouds every day for 3 months for many hours a day... much less not getting any crystals from it.

One of my weapons took 2 months... but that's because I only did FATEs once every few days for an hour or so a day.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter what you think or what anecdotal evidence you have.
    RNG w/o a safety net always has the possibility of "putting in endless effort and never getting a desired outcome".

Not trying to be mean towards you or anything Batman. It's just the math leaving that option open.
    When you have millions of players, you will find the extreme cases on both ends of the RNG spectrum represented eventually, which is why any gamedev that cares about player experiences never relies on pure, unmitigated RNG.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-06-04 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    RNG w/o a safety net always has the possibility of "putting in endless effort and never getting a desired outcome".

Not trying to be mean towards you or anything Batman. It's just the math leaving that option open.
    When you have millions of players, you will find the extreme cases on both ends of the RNG spectrum represented eventually, which is why any gamedev that cares about player experiences never relies on pure, unmitigated RNG.
    This is also why i am not a fan of it personally and wish they wouldn't rely on it so much even uipping drop rates can still have this.
    I like the idea during the old anime? stage where you mioght get syaa buff and at say 12-20 maybe even 50 fates it is a GURANTEED drop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You will get an Ilvl 90 belt in your 50 quest. Along with a set of Ilvl 90 left side gear excluding weapon. It's to help players get through the ARR stuff now and 2.1-2.5 story will award pieces up to 110
    Dinged 50 today and got the complete set. Looking great while on the side... is a incredible power boost.

Well I guess I am still getting into the game but there is something I wonder about: Is there any meaning in having more than 1 alt? Like I feel my current Dragoon would fit in some other roles but some do not really fit her. At least I had her differently in my mind when I created her. So I would love to create at least 1-2 more alts.. like one main crafter with this whole tech atmosphere around - wedge/biggs feeling. And also another alt for caster roles - there are these different sub-races who kinda hint that their background prefers warrior vs mage etc.

From what I see is that the big thing with 1 alt for everything is that you will have lots of gear when you switch classes. But I wonder is there more? Like exp boosts or any other advantages / disadvantages?

15+ Year Old Account

The fact that it's technically possible doesn't mean anyone is going to go 3 months doing FATEs for hours a day without a single crystal.

I know people get frustrated with the RNG step because RNG can screw you over sometimes, and take breaks for awhile on it. It's most definitely why they're nerfing the RNG step and not the farmable step.

And I honestly haven't found the relic to be bad at all, which is why I have 4 now, yes 4 hyperconductive. I manage to farm all the shells and ore I need from treasure maps within 2-3 weeks of casually doing several maps a day. I could do more and go faster, but the bones/seeds/oil are the limiting factors time wise. If those were farmable from maps, I'd probably manage even more frequently than one relic a month.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The fact that it's technically possible doesn't mean anyone is going to go 3 months doing FATEs for hours a day without a single crystal.
    Well the drop % is what? 3%?
    Depending on zone population you can do ~ 20 to 25 FATEs per hour (much less if you have to solo them).

0.97^25 = 0.467 (probability to NOT get a crystal) -> 1-p = 53.3% chance of getting a crystal per hour.

Just for kicks: an hour per day for 90 days would be 25*90 FATEs = 2250 FATEs (a lot)

0.97^2250 = 1.723 * 10^-30 (probability of not getting a crystal).
    1 -p = .. well my calculator says 1, because subtracting 0.0 ...(28 more 0s)...1723 from 1 is rather ... umm senseless.
    A probability of 1 = 100% drop chance.

I agree with you: he definitely did NOT farm for hour(s) each day.
    Even if our entire population of 9 * 10^9 people would play the game, it's extremely unlikely (yet still within the realm of possibility) to encounter a person that does 2250 FATEs w/o getting a crystal.

So um .. yeah. Math says that his claim is BS.
    At least with a probability of 1 - 1.7*10 ^-30.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    And I honestly haven't found the relic to be bad at all, which is why I have 4 now, yes 4 hyperconductive.
    Step 1, 2 and 4 are a piece of cake. (I did step 1 for my Dork Relic, it's not nearly as bad as Atma was)

Buffing step 1 is okay, because FATE participation did diminish now that most folks are through leveling their alt specs. Esp Azys lla can be a pain.

Step 3 is imho a little overcooked. Cut the #items needed in half (leave crafting items as they are) to make it appropriate.
    Considering that 210 has been outdated for months now, the reward doesn't reflect the effort.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-06-04 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Dinged 50 today and got the complete set. Looking great while on the side... is a incredible power boost.

Well I guess I am still getting into the game but there is something I wonder about: Is there any meaning in having more than 1 alt? Like I feel my current Dragoon would fit in some other roles but some do not really fit her. At least I had her differently in my mind when I created her. So I would love to create at least 1-2 more alts.. like one main crafter with this whole tech atmosphere around - wedge/biggs feeling. And also another alt for caster roles - there are these different sub-races who kinda hint that their background prefers warrior vs mage etc.

From what I see is that the big thing with 1 alt for everything is that you will have lots of gear when you switch classes. But I wonder is there more? Like exp boosts or any other advantages / disadvantages?
    Several disadvantages

First while you will be able to cap lore(think Valor in wrath if you played wow then) it also means lower xp for alt classes.

You get a bonus for lower level classes in case you didn't know

You WILL have to do every story quest again and yes you can skip cutscenes but yeah

The stats from subraces are INSANELY minimal

Most who go alt do it for rp/feels right or wrong reasons like you are talking about tbh