Poll: If Diablo 3 had a subscription fee, how many subscribers do you think it would have?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablah View Post
    That is exactly what im trying to get at, Diablo 3 would never hit the same amount of subscribers because that game is made for logging in 2 weeks every season and that is what WoW is more and more becomming. Seasons in WoW of course meaning patches or like Asmongold says in his videos "you no longer play the expansion, you play the patch".
    It's been like that since Cataclysm for me, if I wasn't raiding during WotLK it would have been the same.

WoW is truely the last bastion of the former juggernaut that used to be sub-based games. Microtransactions and in-store purchases in a "free to play" environment is the new normal development plan

If Blizzard charged a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 ...

I stopped reading your shit post after this because that is an absolutely retarded idea. That would kill Diablo 3 because even idiotic fanboys would think twice about spending $15/month for broken, shitty seasons.

I didn't pick a poll answer because you left out (as most people with polls do) the "outsider option" --- you know the option that doesn't agree with any of the other poll choices which in this case should be "Blizzard won't charge a sub for Diablo 3 so what's your point?"

That is exactly what im trying to get at, Diablo 3 would never hit the same amount of subscribers because that game is made for logging in 2 weeks every season and that is what WoW is more and more becomming. Seasons in WoW of course meaning patches or like Asmongold says in his videos "you no longer play the expansion, you play the patch".
    And very few of those players have actually experienced or achieved everything at that point.
    Completing what is interesting to you, and having completed what the game is offering at that point are not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

What is this I don't even... my brain. Wha...why... why is this a thing? Send help.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    The difference between WoW and Diablo 3 is that Diablo 3 doesn't receive regular content updates. They are literally incomparable.
    To be fair, neither does WoW in this expansion :P

D3 is maintaining players because it is basically f2p at the moment. The instant they slap monthly fee the number of users will plummet
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

First time I've seen a MMO-C poll with over 90% saying one way. Does D3 have more concurrent than WoW right now? If not the questions already answered since it's free atm

Expected to see 0 in the poll options.

seeing how the game is almost as bad and dead as the wow movie, the moment they start charging for diablo, they better start giving away all their other games for free

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And very few of those players have actually experienced or achieved everything at that point.
    Completing what is interesting to you, and having completed what the game is offering at that point are not the same.
    Diablo 3 CANNOT be completed, infinite Rift Levels are kinda the thing that says: You CAN play forever.
    If you got decent gear, the loot hunt is lost because upgrades are really rare... so you can climb the ladder which is dominated by streamers because they get paid to play. So you don't have a chance of getting anywhere near the top.
    So what's left? Doing the Challenge for cosmetics which can be done in 2 weeks. So yes Diablo has so little content that they depend on the seasons otherwise there would be like 50k players left, if they even have that many.

If Blizzard charged a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 how many people do you think would play the game?

If less than the current WoW subscriber number then why does Blizzard insist on turning WoW into Diablo 3 with all the RNG stats, RNG legendaries, ability pruning and so on?
    Honest to god this site needs to start perm banning people like you who spam this site with absolutely stupid bullshit. RNG has been a part of rpgs for as long as there have been rpgs. Give it a fucking rest already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    They're not that good at thinking far ahead.
    Blizzard has been around longer than most of you people have been alive and guess what? Blizzard was a profitable company before Wow and will continue to be a profitable company AFTER Wow. They didnt get to where they are by not thinking ahead. Not doing what you want doesn't mean they don't have a plan.

In short: get the fuck over yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Because it's what Blizzard believes their customers want. I mean, every time there's a prune, for example, the reception is mostly positive across the board for whatever reason.

RNG is needed because of the playerbase Blizzard is trying to hold the interest of.
    Because RNG totally isn't involved in games not Wow or D3. What the fuck ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    The problem with a subscription model for D3 is new seasons get a massive influx of people. About 2-4 weeks after that that huge influx stops playing as most players will have already completed their journey and are "done".
    Are you fucking kidding me right now? This is a blatant troll thread. Seriously? Not to mention the fact its off topic for the forum it is posted in. Perhaps instead of posting nonsense in threads you mods could actually start shutting down this kind of shit but then again you lose all that clickbait advertising money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Subscription fees will never be a thing again, in any game. The only reason WoW can still get away with it is because the game is 12 years old and "it's kind of always been there."
    And yet there are other subscription mmos and other types of games. We have subscriptions for streaming sites now and even subscriptions to delivery of physical products through companies like Amazon. Subscriptions aren't going anywhere. Period. End of story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    It's not a matter of turning the game into D3. It's about keeping players on the gearing treadmill to keep them chasing after bigger upgrades while waiting on new content instead of unsubscribing right after they're done and waiting.
    For some people gearing up is content. Might not be "your" content but for an mmo its content all the same.

- - - Updated - - -

What if Diablo 3 had a new expansion every 2 years similar to WoW? The only reason why it requires less resources than WoW is because less people play the game and they release expansions slower.
    It doesn't get regular content updates like mmos do because guess what? D3 isn't an mmo. It has nothing to do with number of people playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    That would be an increadably dumb decision, Diablo 3 is free for a reason, Blizzard would be shooting themselves hard, in the foot.

As to why... because its an effort to artifically lengthen the games existance by adding random chances of getting Warforged, which nearly everyone needs to be effective.
    So we never had RNG in Wow before Wod? Really? Have you even played Wow? Like ever?

- - - Updated - - -

My issue with that is I will quit as soon as I have finished heroic raids, I am not going to stick around for the 1/1.000.000.000.000 (that is 1 in 1 trillion) chance that I get full +50 titanforged with socket and tertiary stats gear. Or the 1/10.000.000 chance that I get the exact 3 legendaries I need to make my class overpowered.
    Your issue is you think everyone that plays Wow is like you. In fact this is the issue of most of the pompous assholes like you on this site who think any of you can speak for others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    The current edition of Diablo 3 is a pretty good game. Not because of the foundation, but because of all the added features, which came with RoS and its current patches. Many of these features are pretty great, and the team at WoW is trying to copy some of these features, because they were so well recieved. I don't know if they will be that well received in WoW, but atleast they are trying to improve the mediocre game, which is WoW right now. If they just added new content and not any new features or reworks, i would take that as a sign, that Blizzard have given up on WoW.

So, just because WoW is adopting some of the features from D3, does not mean, that they are turning the game into D3. They are just trying to take the good things and add it to the game. That is why, there is no reason to talk about monthly sub for D3, since WoW is a completly different game, with a completly different game structure and set-up.
    Do I really need to dredge up all the threads not only from this site but the official forums of people complaining about RNG many years before D3 even came out? RNG in Wow doesn't make Wow like D3. It makes it an rpg with rpg type elements that other rpg type games share.

- - - Updated - - -

I love how Diablo 3 fans think that a patch that alters a handful of abilities is a major patch. Oh, new season? MAJOR PATCH! ... no.

The majority of D3's patches aren't content patches, they're balancing patches. A new season and a bunch of abilities getting slightly altered is not a major patch. It's a glorified ladder reset and a way to convince players that the same game they've been playing for years now is worth playing again.

Yes, facts are fun. Here's a fun fact: It's not hard to release patches when the majority of what you're doing is adjusting abilities and adding new achievements for old content.

The Hellfire Citadel raid was more content than Diablo 3 has ever seen in all of their content patches combined.
    Don't think I have ever seen a D3 patch that simply starts a new season called a "major" patch like ever. At all. Kind of like how Blizzard never called 6.1 a major patch yet all of you idiots claim otherwise.

If Blizzard charged a monthly fee to play Diablo 3 how many people do you think would play the game?
    What a stupid comparison Blizz won't ever try to do tha...

If less than the current WoW subscriber number then why does Blizzard insist on turning WoW into Diablo 3 with all the RNG stats, RNG legendaries, ability pruning and so on?
    Oh... You've got a point.

I hate that RNG all over in the Legion.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but Blizzard uses metrics to make business decisions. Things like RNG loot, RNG legendaries, and shared Tmog are things that have proved successful in Diablo 3. Based on D3 Metrics, Blizzard has decided to shift some of the problematic systems in Wow to the D3 design in hopes of improving success.

They won't add a sub fee to D3 because it's an action RPG game and the genre has never had a sub fee (afaik). Seeing as how D3 is an always online DRM protected game (unlike most other ARPGs), they would be much more likely to add an offline mode and move the online portion to the client side, in the even that server costs were too great to continue without a sub fee.

And Wow is already poised to go without a sub fee, it's dropped so many subs I give it maybe 6 months after Legion before they announce they're dropping the sub fee. The only thing holding them back at this point is the potential for an expansion to ramp up the subscriber numbers to a point where going F2P is suicide. That, and the perception going F2P creates in the MMO industry. It's usually a sign of an MMO being DoA compared to the projected numbers they hoped for when they decided on their payment model.

7+ Year Old Account
    No but neither would Overwatch, League of Legends, Hearthstone or DotA 2. Hell if WoW was released today without the global omnipresence it now enjoys it wouldn't have a tenth WoW has now. If your metric is whether or not an idea is a good one to borrow from another game is whether or not the game as a whole would function as a sub model game, you'll end up borrowing no features. Subscription models are well and truly awful, and it's only a matter of time until even WoW retires it's sub model.

What you're effectively doing is saying that taking components off something is valueless unless it's better at being what your current project than your current project. And that's ridiculous, because that's not how things work, if I design a new type of tire for bus usage you shouldn't ignore it's applicability for airplanes just because buses are really awful at flying.

A better question is whether or not you think that either Diablo 3 is a better game than WoW or if you think that those things make for a better game. And for me I do think that Diablo 3 is a better game than WoW (not really hard as I'd rate WoW very lowly right now) and I have mixed feelings towards the changes. I've always hated RNG in raid loot because ultimately I'm not a loot focused player, but random legendarys are something I'm cautiously optimistic about. And while I don't like a lot of the selected pruned abilities I acknowledge it's a necessary evil, WoW classes are entirely too bloated and my opinions on legion classes so far are generally positive.
    Last edited by Notshauna; 2016-06-04 at 07:19 AM.

WoW is nothing like Diablo. I don't know why people lose their shit over WoW borrowing a few ideas from Diablo, that doesn't fundamentally change the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how Diablo 3 fans think that a patch that alters a handful of abilities is a major patch. Oh, new season? MAJOR PATCH! ... no.

The majority of D3's patches aren't content patches, they're balancing patches. A new season and a bunch of abilities getting slightly altered is not a major patch. It's a glorified ladder reset and a way to convince players that the same game they've been playing for years now is worth playing again.

Yes, facts are fun. Here's a fun fact: It's not hard to release patches when the majority of what you're doing is adjusting abilities and adding new achievements for old content.

The Hellfire Citadel raid was more content than Diablo 3 has ever seen in all of their content patches combined.
    Oh look, someone who hasn't read the patch notes on the major patches for D3 RoS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    I think Diablo 3 is already losing players since lack of content, so subscription fee every month would lead to a big amount of players leaving the game.

I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee to play diablo. That would mean we would get a lot new content on a regular basis. Last patch in diablo was horrible. Just some frikking wings and nothing new. Tiny changes to the class meta and thats it. And i have no hope for the next patch to be anything different either.

We need new sets, new features and most of all. A new class.