Grand Theft Auto: “We have to rest the franchise at some point,” says Take-Two (GTAO)

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/02/gra...says-take-two/

Grand Theft Auto: “We have to rest the franchise at some point,” says Take-Two
    Global hit Grand Theft Auto will need to be rested “at some point” according to publisher Take-Two.

As reported by GameSpot, speaking about the success of GTA Online, CEO Strauss Zelnick said that it was never intended as a permanent game and it won’t be supported forever.

“We do expect GTA Online’s results to moderate because October will be three years since we released it,” said Zelnick at the Cowen and Company Technology, Media & Telecom Conference.

“Not only was it not our intention that GTA Online was permanent, but it’s important that it not be permanent. We have to rest the franchise at some point.”

That’s not to say GTA Online is going anywhere soon. Next week sees the release of the latest DLC – Further Adventures in Finance and Felony.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

this is likely to do with GTA6 coming onto the horizon soon, this isn't Rockstar games (who make GTA) saying the franchise has to end, it's the guys running the GTAonline servers.

i read this notice as when GTA6 comes out, we'll be turning the GTA5 online servers off because barely anyone will be playing it.
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I still believe that GTA Online could had been so much better with proper servers =/
    And proper lobby controls. Good lord, it's horrendous to set something up.

How about we get some new single player shit. Would be nice for rockstar to not forget how they sold so many games, and hint it wasnt cus gta online, Because that was a trash feature at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should focus on single player... I want to see a GTA 6, Red Dead 2... or even a L.A Noire 2 (I know the company that made it went under, but it was a good game. Rockstar published it)

Deleted
    I haven't really been able to enjoy GTAO at all, at release there were a mountain of errors and problems stopping me from enjoying it, and even to this day, setting up a game with my friends is just a headache, filled with errors, glitches and hackers, quite a disappointment to be sure, I do wish they'd focus on some more single player content.

I bought GTA 5 ages ago for the PS4 and I've yet to play it... :B

So by resting I assume they mean taking MP servers down and prarctically shutting the game down on that department?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    So by resting I assume they mean taking MP servers down and prarctically shutting the game down on that department?
    They mean stop actively developing content for it.

The GTAIV and RDR servers are still up, GTAVs servers aren't going anywhere any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The servers will be online probably for a long time anyway. There's cash to be made there so why not :-)

Can me an old fart, but I preferred the single player addons for GTA.
    I tried Online, and didn't like it at all. Sadly in the current gaming climate everything has to be online multiplayer. Thing like Lost & Damned, Ballet of Gay Tony etc, I'd buy addons like that for GTA V. Shame there weren't any.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to suck it up and make an MMO.

I'd love to see a return to red dead again. Hopefully E3 will have a RDR2 reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    The servers will be online probably for a long time anyway. There's cash to be made there so why not :-)

Can me an old fart, but I preferred the single player addons for GTA.
    I tried Online, and didn't like it at all. Sadly in the current gaming climate everything has to be online multiplayer. Thing like Lost & Damned, Ballet of Gay Tony etc, I'd buy addons like that for GTA V. Shame there weren't any.
    Iv pretty much shuned the online. I gave it a try when it was launched but it was trash then. Not a fan of all the online only shit that doesnt get included in singleplayer. Like snow and the new vehicles ect when it would cost them next to nothing to do that. They will keep pushing the online shit as long as idiots keep buying the currency.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume when they turn off GTA Online is when the next GTA game comes but...maybe not who knows. I don't mind the idea of a GTA online but....a big problem of open world games these days is a big world but not much to do in it. GTA certainly is better in that regard but not at to where it's "So much stuff to do."

I'd say the most recent Fallout 4 is very evident of big world but not much is there(Inb4 it's post nuclear fallout world, it's how it is).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi