Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 80 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    There's a supply issue and delays that are global according to the people at OCUK vendor. So unless someone has something to say that supply is as normal but demand is too high, I'll take the supply and delay issues as they mentioned as Nvidia just launched way too early as supply will only get better in late July/August.
    Really not sure where you got your supply info from. OCUK have several variants of the 1080 in stock, Scan has them, Amazon has them, local PC world has several 1080s in stock and so do a few more in surrounding areas. There really is zero shortage of 1080s in stock in the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Really not sure where you got your supply info from. OCUK have several variants of the 1080 in stock, Scan has them, Amazon has them, local PC world has several 1080s in stock and so do a few more in surrounding areas. There really is zero shortage of 1080s in stock in the UK.
    You can read the thread if you want. These are staff members. Posted it last page actually too.
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&postcount=103
    Yes visited some other partners this morning, all confirming same delays June 17th is absolute earliest now and stock won't get better until July / August.

We are pushing like crazy to board partners who are pushing nvidia very hard. It's a global delay!
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-06-03 at 09:46 PM.

Deleted
    You can read the thread if you want. These are staff members. Posted it last page actually too.
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&postcount=103
    Didn't realise you were talking about 3rd party ones. I was going to say I could pick up a ref 1080 from pretty much any retailer I looked at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess I should've been more specific, but at least in NA, reference is awol and honestly no one should bother with the reference. All the prices are a bit expected though in terms of inflated price. A reference for 700GBP after VAT is absurd. There's an obvious supply constraint when even EVGA has issues getting the silicon.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...y_controversy/
    So Nvidia's 1080 isn't rendering AotS correctly resulting in a few % performance increase due to that.
    I said someone should check Nvidia's image quality. Took someone long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    But why would you want that terrible Founders' (steel foundry?) Edition cooler? With its lack of cooling performance and that thermal and power throttling, the only reason to buy one of those is because you want to slap a waterblock on it (and that'll set you back another 100-150 quid).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I said someone should check Nvidia's image quality. Took someone long enough.
    I'm worried about it since all that "memory compression" shit started, the fact that no reviewer tests image quality anymore opens this possibility and we all know how Nvidia uses all the shady tactics possible.

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/738505027870990336

This should explain the issue for the conspiracy theorists.
    Last edited by Denpepe; 2016-06-04 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    780 beats the 680ti though, the 690 was a Dual GPU. The 980ti beat the Titan Black and the 780ti too. It's pretty normal for any xy0 to beat the (x-1)(y+1/y+ti)0(I hope that makes sense). Just like a 960 beats the 750ti, the 980 beats the 780ti.

and yeah, until you have has the naming conventions explained to you, it doesn't make much sense.
    No 680Ti was ever made. 680 was the top of the line single chip untill the 700 series. Only the 660 came as a Ti version.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/738505027870990336

This should explain the issue for the conspiracy theorists.
    You have high hopes of people that write stuff like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'm worried about it since all that "memory compression" shit started

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dadev View Post
    I don't understand what the Tweet is addressing?

I don't understand what the Tweet is addressing?
    Ashes of the Singularity was showing what appeared to be artifacting or a similarly corrupted image when run on GTX1080s. People were saying it was Nvidia's fault for cutting corners to get more performance.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm going to just blame the drivers. Much like AMD has had numerous issues with new cards and their drivers running games decently.
    Well, yeah. You could just read the linked tweet.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess we'll wait for Nvidia to fix the bug to retest the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to know what you're trying to be on about.

It can very well be just a bug, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least of it was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'd love to know what you're trying to be on about.
    Block texture compression is used widely for a very long time. There's virtually no (real) product that doesn't use it.
    If anything there's not effort done to bring jpeg block decompressors to the hardware. And you're on about some memory compression conspiracies...

10+ Year Old Account
    Block texture compression is used widely for a very long time. There's virtually no (real) product that doesn't use it.
    If anything there's not effort done to bring jpeg block decompressors to the hardware. And you're on about some memory compression conspiracies...
    Supposedly, the compression done is lossless. Meaning it shouldn't effect image quality. Also, just because it's widely used doesn't mean it's the best solution. For example, PowerVR uses Title Based Rendered as a method to save on memory bandwidth, instead of compression. Something that neither Nvidia or AMD does with their GPUs. It also has no effect on image quality. Guess why Nvidia's Tegra hasn't been able to penetrate the mobile market.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Also I hate when 3rd party AIBs never announce the price of the graphics card. Stop it!

Supposedly, the compression done is lossless. Meaning it shouldn't effect image quality. Also, just because it's widely used doesn't mean it's the best solution. For example, PowerVR uses Title Based Rendered as a method to save on memory bandwidth, instead of compression. Something that neither Nvidia or AMD does with their GPUs. It also has no effect on image quality. Guess why Nvidia's Tegra hasn't been able to penetrate the mobile market.
    Block compression is lossy. It's widely used (there are several variants of block compression, I'm not accounting for each individually, just in general) because it's the only solution which has built-in hardware sampling. If jpeg had that everyone would use it. Of course jpeg has Huffman coding, which makes it impractical for quick sampling, but that single part could've been replaced (or just dropped) by something else and retain the rest of jpeg.

Tile-Based rendering is not needed for desktop/console because of few reasons. First it's not worth the effort (and it's a lot of effort in hardware and drivers) if you have enough execution units for actual shading, second of all and more importantly, its usefulness drops drastically for deferred renderers which do visibility and frustum testing before blindly bombarding the gpu from orbit with obscene amount of geometry (virtually all real desktop/console engines today). Visibility and frustum testing is somewhat cpu intensive, that's why you won't really find it in mobile products, so there's a merit for tiled based rendering there.
    Why nvidia didn't use it in Tegra? No idea. However, the reason for not penetrating the market is probably not that, it usually has to do with licensing and pricing. Now with self driving cars we might see a different picture.
    Last edited by dadev; 2016-06-05 at 09:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Block compression is lossy. It's widely used (there are several variants of block compression, I'm not accounting for each individually, just in general) because it's the only solution which has built-in hardware sampling. If jpeg had that everyone would use it. Of course jpeg has Huffman coding, which makes it impractical for quick sampling, but that single part could've been replaced (or just dropped) by something else and retain the rest of jpeg.
    Nvidia and AMD are using delta compression, not block on the hardware side.
    Why nvidia didn't use it in Tegra? No idea. However, the reason for not penetrating the market is probably not that, it usually has to do with licensing and pricing. Now with self driving cars we might see a different picture.
    It was power hungry and underperforming compared to the competition at the time, and hence booted out of mobile.
    and this
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-06-05 at 10:32 PM.