Poll: Is your family pet's life worth more to you then a strangers?

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    No, animals are animals, humans are humans. If the human was a murderer or rapist then the animal is worth more.
    humans are animals.

so that kinda cuts your argument a little short.

Not all animals are humans but all humans are animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Without a doubt, my pets lives are worth more than a strangers'.
    They are our babies. We love them.

Cry all you like about "the value of human life". I value my cat and my dog more than any of you.
    I would expect the same in return, too.

Basically on the same page as this guy.

I would save my pet before a random stranger, my pet has affected my life much more than a random stranger and my pet is a part of my family. I value my family more than strangers, I value my friends more than strangers, I value acquaintances more than strangers.

I would risk my life to try and save a person and I would save a person over a random pet, however I value my pet over complete strangers. There are some exceptions such as child, however excluding them tough luck older people.
    Last edited by Forgottenone; 2016-06-04 at 05:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    humans are animals.

so that kinda cuts your argument a little short.

Not all animals are humans but all humans are animals.
    It's a figurative distinction, not a literal one.

Jesus, sometimes MMO-C feels like it's just a gathering of people who can't grasp social cues.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Indeed, these laws seem to be focused around more traditionalist states. For example, in Indiana, where I'm residing, you can apply a "reasonable" amount of force to people trespassing on your property, but you can't apply deadly force to them if they aren't threatening your life.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/35/41/3/35-41-3-2
    Most places in North America if someone breaks into your house with a deadly weapon you can strait up kill them and you won't see a day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Damn right I am. To protect my family. I don't care if you consider them 'just animals' or not, you come at them with the intent to injure and I'll put you in the ground so fast it'll wipe out your entire lineage.

Whoa. Back off guys. We have an internet tough guy over here. Someone get the meme. I cannot be bothered to.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    and then make your life even worse by killing me and getting put in a nice cozy prison cell and rot there for the next years
    I'd go to jail for murder, yes, but this:

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Her life's already been ruined by some misanthropic troglodyte letting her child die to save his ferret, where she spends the rest of that ruined life is irrelevant.
    It wouldn't matter to me anymore what happens to me.

Bottom line: don't kill my child
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Nah, not at all. People like you that are this wildly misinformed is what scares me when you decide to buy a gun.
    I say it again for you:
    >>>appropiate<<<

You are not damned to watch as someone kills your dog.
    If in doubt just put yourself between the would be attacker and the dog since then they have to deal with you first and if you fight back at that point it's absolutely self defense.
    I don't live in 'Murica, we don't hand out guns to everyone who asks.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Nah, not at all. People like you that are this wildly misinformed is what scares me when you decide to buy a gun.
    I already own guns, but if someone hurt one of my cats, shooting them wouldn't provide anywhere near sufficient satisfaction.

For that I'd need to use my Louieville Slugger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Most places in North America if someone breaks into your house with a deadly weapon you can strait up kill them and you won't see a day in court.
    We have "Castle Law" in Illinois, meaning my home is my castle and if anyone breaks in to my castle, I have no duty to retreat, and every right to use deadly force, regardless of whether or not they are carrying any type of weapon.

Under Castle law doctrine, I have the right to use deadly force to prevent an intruder from committing a felony--meaning to prevent them from stealing my property as well as defending my household from harm.
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-06-04 at 09:18 AM.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While violence isn't always pretty nor is it a one and done solution to every problem. I would like to give some contextual examples.

Say John A. is walking his Siberian husky down the street and someone one walks by asks to pet the dog and they pet the dog. Of course I wouldn't harm a person just wishing to pet the dog.

Say Joe B. is also walking a chocolate lab mix and someone comes along and tries to kick the dog. My first instinct would be to pull my dog away and put myself in between said aggressor and myself to also prevent my dog from trying to bite or otherwise defend itself, Then I would give a clear and concise warning that I wouldn't tolerate repeat offenses and then put distance between myself and said aggressor.

Say Mark C. is tending to his to his yard and his cat is just being a cat and someone asshole tries to start stabbing the cat because "it got to close to his mailbox." and also tries to chase your cat into your own yard to kill the cat. At this stage my only concern is going to be Me, My own family and my pets. You brazenly try to kill an animal because you don't like it next to your mailbox, then chase said cat into another persons yard still attempting to kill it. I find it almost if not impossible to see any route to sympathy to you and what happens to you when you act this way. Perhaps you have had a bad day. Perhaps you have mental issues. Perhaps you are just a spiteful and bitter person who hates seeing other people happy. None of your reasons will stand in my way of making sure not only are your thumbs severely damaged I will also for good measure make sure your wrists will also be severely hampered. If that reaction to another persons animal is so easily provoked I have every right to deem your behavior deadly and therefore have equal right to assume you could also harm me that easily.

Again those are just examples but every situation is different and always use your best judgement. But be warned, I hold my animals lives in the same esteem for my own children or adopted children or my family. Harm them and you unleash swift and hellish fury with no mercy in return and do not come to claim such innocence when you pay for it.

Deleted
    I must admit I couldn't care less for human life. Sure there's a few people in my life I care about but in all honesty I care way more about my pets than 99.999999.....% of the people on this earth. I would've felt no pity if they let the gorilla play away with the kid whatever the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lopus View Post
    Texas Penal Code § 9.42. Deadly Force to Protect Property

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41;  and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;  or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property;  and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means;  or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

section 3 A may help in that situation.
    The bolded part is pretty fucked up tbh. You can just shoot someone in the back if they're running away with your stuff and pose no threat to you anymore....why don't they give the death sentence for a robbery then?

I will choose my 2 cats over any random stranger any day. No doubt about it in my mind i value my pets more then a random stranger, hell i value most animals more then people. Seeing this sick things that are being done in this world i rather try to safe an entire endangered species than a human

Is the stranger White? White lives are worth more to me than my pet's life. Non-Whites... not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a huge dog lover. Yes.

Even when i see a movie, the only times I would cry is if an animal dies or a character you feel for over the course of the movie or show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So you're a potential murderer.
    As are you with the right motivation, there is no human in this earth who is NOT a potential murderer.

Well, a pet is just a pet, if it dies you just buy a new one, no big deal. Though I would be lying if I said a gave a crap about a stranger's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    In a US court of law, most often a pet is considered a part of the family.
    really?
    in europe morally pets are family and to yourself > other people i suspect but in the eyes of the law they are posessions so < people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Unless your husband was already being assaulted then the dog deserved to get kicked for biting. If the scuffle had already started then the dog was just behaving as it should have.

If I was arguing with someone, verbally, and their dog bit me, I would retaliate as well.
    Yes my husband was being assaulted, that's why she jumped in. You think she just runs around biting people for the hell of it? Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    really?
    in europe morally pets are family and to yourself > other people i suspect but in the eyes of the law they are posessions so < people
    The idea has been growing (four) legs in the US for a long time now...

Pets Are Becoming People, Legally Speaking

We love our pets. About 90 percent of owners consider their pets part of the family. More than 80 percent of us would likely risk our lives for them. Last year, we spent $55 billion on the animals that share our lives.

This is all fairly new. Dog and cat ownership has quadrupled since the 1960s, and our pet expenditures have more than doubled since 2000. As more and more cats and dogs (150 million in the United States) have licked and purred their way into our lives, they've also worked their way into the legal system. Pets have become the subject of legislation and court battles, and in some cases even have their own legal representation.

"As pets have become family in our homes," writes David Grimm in his eye-opening new book, Citizen Canine: Our Evolving Relationship with Cats and Dogs, "they've also become family in the eyes of the law."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The idea has been growing (four) legs in the US for a long time now...

Pets Are Becoming People, Legally Speaking
    If the pets gain the rights of people, they must now pay taxes too, just like human would. Since they can't, the owner should have to pay taxes for that person. Also, atleast here the first 9 years of school is also mandatory for a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.