Warcraft: The beginning 8/10

Solid movie. My only concern with it was the length. Hope an extended cut will be released.

Deleted
    Big Hero 6 (2014) - 4/10. Started very well, with great animation production. Turned into appallingly patronizing, cliched, inconsistent, plot destroying tripe that is barely suitable for its age-appropriate child audience.

Over the Hedge (2006) - 7.5/10. One of the funnier and interesting Western animations I've seen. It's definitely written more for adults than youngest kids too. Think trash panda + Mission Impossible meets Toy Story-like animal family.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The Nice Guys (2016) - 7/10
    An enjoyable action-comedy in the same vein as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
    hate to be a dick/stickler but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is considered neo noir. as i assume Nice Guys is as well (want to see this one)

OT Captain America: Civil War 9/10
    well rounded action/comic book flick from beginning to end. cant wait for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    hate to be a dick/stickler but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is considered neo noir. as i assume Nice Guys is as well (want to see this one)
    One does not overwrite the others.

Gremlins - 7/10 (Good)

I liked it! Pretty campy, in the good way.

Deleted
    warcraft 4/10.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 5/10

Really enjoyable romp. More cartoon-ish than expected but it is keeping with the spirit of the original animated series. Lots of references to fan-dom things, yet it was still fun for the kids.

I thought the voice casting was pretty bad though. Krang sounded terrible, the Turtles were a little too broad for a live action film (Leo's VO was terrible!) and Splinter was awful!

Fun movie for the kids.

P.S. Bebop and Rocksteady were delightful.

Mississippi Grind: 6.5/10. Good acting all around, and a fairly depressing gambling movie that just seems to rush the ending a bit too much. I'm hard pressed to pinpoint exactly why I didn't rate it higher, but I'd still recommend it.

Deleted
    The Hunger Games Mockinjay part 2: 3/10. just a very poor movie in my opinion, everything was way too predicatable. The characters felt shallow to me, I like the first one where they actually did some character development.

Superman vs. Batman: 7/10. I thought it was quite a good movie, I really liked Ben Affleck as the "evil" Batman. I am deducting marks because his turning point where superman says "Martha" and he just goes from a killing frenzy to an ally, makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Deleted
    X-Men Apocalypse: 6/10

A bit better then I expected, but waaaaay below Days of Future Past. I suggest that if you pick a villain that has tons of powers and is easily stronger than any other mutant ... show something of his powers. Killing a few random humans and shouting every 15 minutes doesn't cut it. Apart from that it was just a build-up off an hour for the final 'fight' and even then so little action. But Superhero movies and people dying just isn't for people these days I reckon, even if shitloads of hero's die in the comics.

I'm hoping the last Wolverine movie is a bit better (and hopefully better than the last Wolverine movie).

Captain America: Civil War - 6/10

Decent direction, okayish story but I disliked the movie feeling like The Avengers featuring Captain America more than the other way around. Each character was generally interesting -- I liked the introduction of Spider Man -- and the story arcs were acceptable enough. Most of the action was pretty awesome but the bad guy was completely forgettable and some of its elements, especially towards the end, felt rushed. Better than Age of Ultron and a good popcorn flick but ultimately fell flat for me in many ways.

The Boxtrolls - 7/10 (Good)

A downright blatant racism allegory, I kept trying to remind myself that it was just a film to enjoy but the aesop was so obvious that I wasn't actually paying attention to what was happening that much. Still, it is a good film with stellar modelling and photography. In some scenes, the stop motion is so fluid I thought I was watching CGI animation (especially notable in the opening sequence with the boxtrolls on the street). A small cast of characters and pretty funny at times. Loved the aesthetic and setting. Watch it now on Netflix instant watch!

Deleted
    X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) - 5/10. Boring and average. Cliched use of powers, except we get to see barely any of the enemy despite yet another monotonous world ending, been-here-done-that superhero movie. Inconsistent origins. No coherent story or follow-through (Four Horsemen of Apocalypse?), formulaic plot and one-liners are the rule not exception. No attempt to even being to realistically portray world-ending destruction, other than some accidentally hilarious Dr Strangelove-style men in the "War Room" banter; just uninteresting CGI after CGI.

Notable characterization: only good character is Magneto and he ended up used like a toy. Jean Grey in this version had about as much charisma, presence and ability to convince as a wet tissue, which is a disaster for purely psychic powers and for how important she was to the whole movie. The Quicksilver hype here is just that. His powers are mainly mindlessly abused for comic relief (unlike in previous movies where at least it was done expertly with a light touch and even made sense given he had just started to use his powers seriously). If you're a fan or aware of Quicksilver from the comics, especially the originals, you better wipe your mind again before entering! That said, the fact his main scene is pretty much the most memorable speaks volumes about the overall movie.

The entire cast as well as use of characters feel cartoonish and a retcon mess within a retcon, like they planned the movie backwards starting with who to use and how to justify their presence, even throwing in a Wolverine for good measure (Psylocke, why, why?!). This makes the whole thing feel like "X-Men: The Last Stand" done in reverse ...

Not recommended. If starting this reboot series from scratch, only First Class is worth it, even with its flaws, unless you really, really want to get yet another take on time-travel with Days of Future Past or are a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-06-08 at 03:54 PM.

Warcraft (twice, german & english)
    Would give it a biased 7/10.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    warcraft 4/10 movie sucked, CG was good though

Never back down 3 8/10 given the genre and MJ White.

Warcraft, and its about 5/10, nothing more. I could write a big review here but the movie is not really worthy of such an investment of time. Its mildly entertaining in parts, but thats it.

The Conjuring 2: 9/10.

Loved the first Conjuring. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the new one, but it was fantastic. The fact that there are so many 'meh' horror movies nowadays really helps when it comes to appreciating a solid horror movie. Very spooky from start to finish. Creepy atmosphere and some solid jump scares.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

Deleted
    Warcraft (2016) - 7.5/10. Good movie, well above average in production and minimal filler or obvious flaws for fantasy.

I liked the tale of Lothar. I thought Garona's story would be very different given what I remember of the game's lore, but their version in this was enjoyable and the much simpler story probably suited the movie length. I thought Garona would also be physically more intimidating, but the frailer and somewhat more "emo" model is probably more believable here in different contexts in general (probably works better across global audiences too).

I was personally very disappointed that so few of the other races were involved, especially all the types of elves who are critical to both the massive game's lore and attraction. However, it was obvious that given the huge universe of stories, types of enemies and conflicting interests, in-game treasures and memes built up from such a long running franchise, that they could have gone for a smorgasbord approach and almost certainly ruined it.

Instead, they seem to have chosen a simpler central and standalone story that covers much of the original reason for the Warcraft universe, executing that as well as they could and only hinting at the promise of future movies.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-06-11 at 04:42 PM.

Warcraft - 8/10 (Very good)

Duncan Jones affectionately doesn't bullshit the audience with extensive setup or over glorification of the story; in the span of ten minutes he establishes the premise, the key characters and then goes straight to the action, no strings attached. The fast paced tone of the film is consistent throughout the film, as the story does not waste time showing a LotR travel montage just to get place to place; the story simply goes there in when it needs to (it's helped by the fact that fast-travel is canonical in the Warcraft universe, so transitions consists of either a quick five-ten second flying mount scene or an outright teleport). The dialogue is not pretentious and tells the audience exactly as much as required in as few words as possible. While this may deprive the story of depth or background lore, ultimately Jones knows the audience isn't here to smell the roses and digs right in to the meat and potatoes. Considering this is Warcraft - a setting that trades melodrama for spectacle - this is a change for the best. Still, it still feels like important scenes were cut, but fortunately this was just a result of a two hour theatrical release and an extended edition will be available on retail release.

Tonally and aesthetically, the Warcraft movie doesn't even bother with realism and embraces it's cartoonish nature in the form of colorful magic hardly seen elsewhere on the big screen and thick, bold equipment and locations. The story is keen to throw in heartwarming and funny moments here and there without losing sight of urgency, but never takes itself to seriously, another great choice.

As someone who hasn't bought a film on DVD in over four years, I will absolutely buy this film no questions asked, and I eagerly await a sequel.