Thread: VR in WoW

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

VR in WoW

Think we will ever see a legit first person implementation with VR support in the next few years for wow? I could almost see them adding it as a side feature ( not something youd raid with or pvp with ) But can you imagine riding around your favorite mount in virtual reality? Being able to look around and walk through the places you've played in for years?

I doubt it would ever happen but man it would be a cool experience.7

Deleted
    Jep vomiting while playing WoW is excatly what I want... VR motion only works if you move with it...

I don't know about you, but do you own a machine that would simulate the movement of every mount in the game? If not, well you most likely feel sick after a few seconds... so you are stuck with walking and since the open world is quite large you would need an omni-directional-treadmill, do you have that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Jep vomiting while playing WoW is excatly what I want... VR motion only works if you move with it...

I don't know about you, but do you own a machine that would simulate the movement of every mount in the game? If not, well you most likely feel sick after a few seconds... so you are stuck with walking and since the open world is quite large you would need an omni-directional-treadmill, do you have that?
    I sit in full wrap around flight simulators twice a year and never get motion sick. Some people might, which is unfortunate for them! I'm sure many others would be the same.

Deleted
    In flight simulators you sit in a cockpit, you don't move around.
    Racing games are high motion games where you sit mostly still so VR works. Riding a horse is a lot of motion your body needs to feel or most will get sick. So no it will not happen too much work for zero added value.

its literally the exact same thing. It's the perception of motion. Some people can handle it, some can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhiosis View Post
    its literally the exact same thing. It's the perception of motion. Some people can handle it, some can't.
    No there is a difference between a moving room in which you are in a static position (airplane, race car) and you moving around (walking,riding)

/edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness
    "Sensory conflict theory posits that sickness will occur when a user's perception of self-motion is based on incongruent sensory inputs from the visual system, vestibular system, and non-vestibular proprioceptors, and particularly so when these inputs are at odds with the user's expectation based on prior experience."
    So if you move around in VR but your body stays still, our brain gets into trouble and most people get sick. So it's a no go until you can move your body the same way you would in the game... aka omi-directional-treadmills
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e02b9df; 2016-06-04 at 01:19 PM.

"The users expectation based on prior experience"

I guess it isn't fair for me to argue this then. I'm just used to it from being a sim instructor years back. Either way thanks for linking the article! I still think it would be a neat idea

Deleted
    I think they refer to experience like riding a horse, walking in general. Because in VR you see yourself move, but your body doesn't which is a problem for most people.

And someone will make it possible as a "Mod" to the game. But I highly doubt that Blizzard will put the time and effort in to make WoW work with VR if most people cannot use it.

It still totally depends on the person. I just wrapped up a game of windlands and if you can play that than some minor horse riding isn't making you sick. I doubt blizz would ever bother to add it but it'd be cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    you would need an omni-directional-treadmill, do you have that?
    Wouldn't something like the Virtuix Omni fit that bill?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about... (http://www.virtuix.com/)
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light. Hunters do it with the help of animal companions.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWaltzEOSK View Post
    Wouldn't something like the Virtuix Omni fit that bill?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about... (http://www.virtuix.com/)
    Yes it would be, but would you spend 700$ on it just to play WoW in VR?

Would be so cool if this happened but you would still need a keyboard i think. Would be cool to hook it up with kenect also and have different hand movements for different spells. Trouble is that would be really damn slow compared to a button press. Also things like looking around a corner would be odd.

Lol people with really expensive computers can barely maintain 60 fps and you think it's possible to achieve a smooth 90 fps?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Lol people with really expensive computers can barely maintain 60 fps and you think it's possible to achieve a smooth 90 fps?
    Not sure what you mean? I have a gaming laptop with a 980m and have to cap my FPS at 75, otherwise they hit 200+ in some areas ( ultra settings )

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Does it remain over 60 when you raid on ultra? That is usually the benchmark for maintaining fps.
    I have a 750ti and i manage 60fps during raid while streaming/recording sometimes drops to 50 at lowest. You dont need an expensive PC just a good CPU and modest graphics card. In a few years this should be achievable for the majority as old stuff is replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Does it remain over 60 when you raid on ultra? That is usually the benchmark for maintaining fps.
    I don't really raid, but it never goes lower than 60 during ashran or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Nhiosis View Post
    I don't really raid, but it never goes lower than 60 during ashran or similar
    You are still short 30 frames. Have fun vomiting and being sick.

The camera doesnt bob up and down with your mount movements. Try zoom in ingame and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    I have a 750ti and i manage 60fps during raid while streaming/recording sometimes drops to 50 at lowest. You dont need an expensive PC just a good CPU and modest graphics card. In a few years this should be achievable for the majority as old stuff is replaced.
    You'd probably have to lower settings again in legion with the draw distance changes.

7+ Year Old Account

Not everyone is susceptible to motion sickness. If you are that sucks, but not everyone is affected by it.