Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I really miss this game... I played a lot. But I always felt it was hard to catch back up to the curve.

Deleted
    FF14 does everything right what all other mmorpgs do wrong. Quest hubs are optional, campaign quest is engaging and enough to give you experience to level up. The plot is awesome and they come for only doing campaign quest. If you don't want to help gathering carrots, watching trees and rainbows - this is it.

Gameplay is a bit slow first, but you quickly realize the worth of haste as stat etc. and how it will change rotations and gameplay with levels. TBH I love FF14. As level 36.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    FF14 does everything right what all other mmorpgs do wrong. Quest hubs are optional, campaign quest is engaging and enough to give you experience to level up. The plot is awesome and they come for only doing campaign quest. If you don't want to help gathering carrots, watching trees and rainbows - this is it.

Gameplay is a bit slow first, but you quickly realize the worth of haste as stat etc. and how it will change rotations and gameplay with levels. TBH I love FF14. As level 36.
    I will say this they buffed story xp so expect some grinding post 50 and make sure to run random bit you should be good

Deleted
    I would say its no problem to come back to the game and catch up. You just have to have sense that there will be people who will be a lot more geared then you which would happen in any game if you stop and other continue. I've come back after 5 months of and in a week got NIN from 50-60 and got it to 203 and MCH from 183 to 206. I still have some story to finish and not touch the new parts of Alex.

I seen A1s-A4s can be accessed in DF now although I dunno how the goes? :P

15+ Year Old Account
    On one hand, a new player can always enjoy the story and have fun for the experience itself.

But if you start playing FFXIV with the goal of rushing to max level, there isn't a lightning-fast method, and there is a ridiculously long chain (over 100 quests long) that STARTS at level 50 and stands between you and the expansion content.
    Many of the quests are great, but some are almost insulting, as you are an errand boy at least 1 every 5 quests.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2016-05-20 at 01:23 AM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick question coming from a returning player:

I haven't played in 3 years. I was server first Relic+1 and then quit shortly after. That account has been compromised, and SE is pretty terrible as in they won't help me recover it. They said its my responsibility to maintain security yada yada. I am pushing to get that account back, but outside of the Collectors Edition stuff - is there any benefit of having that account for a fresh start?

I tried to wrap my head around the weapon system going from Relic and forward but I wasn't sure how that is in place. I have no issue with starting on a fresh account and re-experiencing everything again (and its probably much better). My only issue was the 'legendary' weapon treadmill and if having my Relic+1 would benefit me in any real way.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

I haven't played in 3 years. I was server first Relic+1 and then quit shortly after. That account has been compromised, and SE is pretty terrible as in they won't help me recover it. They said its my responsibility to maintain security yada yada. I am pushing to get that account back, but outside of the Collectors Edition stuff - is there any benefit of having that account for a fresh start?

I tried to wrap my head around the weapon system going from Relic and forward but I wasn't sure how that is in place. I have no issue with starting on a fresh account and re-experiencing everything again (and its probably much better). My only issue was the 'legendary' weapon treadmill and if having my Relic+1 would benefit me in any real way.
    Relic is entirely optional and you can buy currency gear which is just as good. Atm the relic is 230 and your casual option is 7 weeks of Alexander Midas plus a 1000 current currency grind. So your casual option takes a while to get but is easy enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just reading about the different grinds, and Anima being the new one (?). I'm unsure. Just curious!

I was just reading about the different grinds, and Anima being the new one (?). I'm unsure. Just curious!
    Completely optional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I'm sure you're not forced into it! I just have a problem with always wanting to be the best that I can be :P So if there is an option to attempt to attain something glorious - I'll spend the time to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    First the +1 was renamed zenith so when you read guides know that the Zenith was very low level(you can buy stronger at level 50 and will be given stronger via story quests)

So it is no real loss

As for relics period? They are indeed fully optional and the grind is a choice in fact if you become a hardcore raider you will be using stronger till say 3.5-55 aka past patches. Which by then the relic will be nerfed

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'm sure you're not forced into it! I just have a problem with always wanting to be the best that I can be :P So if there is an option to attempt to attain something glorious - I'll spend the time to do it.
    The original relic is now looks only and would only grant you glamor and pet you skip ONE phase of the new relic the very phase that is being nerfed.

Yoi do not need the ARR relic

The ENTIRE chain for the ARR relic was also nerfed into the ground so you can do it pretty easily now.

In short new expansion new relic

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to hear! Thanks for the heads up. That is relieving. After going back to WoW on another character and doing that legendary ring grind... I suddenly had flashbacks when thinking I had to do the same grind I did 3 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is option as you have multiple ways to get gear at the same ilvl.

Current latest stage relic weapon - i230
    7 weeks of Alex plus 1000 tome weapon - i230

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to hear! Thanks for the heads up. That is relieving. After going back to WoW on another character and doing that legendary ring grind... I suddenly had flashbacks when thinking I had to do the same grind I did 3 years ago.
    LOL THAT relic is near useless and the grind is soooo mcuh easier even FOR that relic now i mean hell we can SOLO mnost of the stuff at 60 now if not solo then duo titan HM is a fucking joke now sooo yeah trust me MUCH MUCH easier even if you DID do it.

Played off an one over the last couple of years. The only bad experience I had was with a story line dungeon where after beating a boss the group teleported away. I wasn't sure what happened and after a few seconds of trying to figure out what to do I get the messages of "you coming?". I took a chance and used my recall spell which sends you to the beginning of the dungeon. A few in the group were impatient and not very understanding. I explained that this was my first time in this dungeon and didn't know the recall spell sent you to the start of dungeons. They replied that it only happens in that dungeon. Felt a little lost since nothing ever tells you this.

3 years ago...was this before 2.0/ARR? Legacy accounts get some pretty neat perks, as far as I know.

Regarding the relic weapon, the only perk it grants regarding the new one is if you had the old one upgraded to max (zeta weapon); it can be turned in to complete/skip the first quest for the new relic weapon (more often referred to as anima weapon).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    3 years ago...was this before 2.0/ARR? Legacy accounts get some pretty neat perks, as far as I know.

Regarding the relic weapon, the only perk it grants regarding the new one is if you had the old one upgraded to max (zeta weapon); it can be turned in to complete/skip the first quest for the new relic weapon (more often referred to as anima weapon).
    It probably was ALMOST 3 years ago, but not quite. I'd have to look at the purchase date but it was 100% ARR. It was not a legacy account at all as I purchased (pre-purchased) the game before ARR launched but after they closed FF14 servers.

So really, I just skip the first quest of the Anima weapon if I get the account with my now zeta weapon? I guess that's not a huge deal. I don't necessarily care then.

It probably was ALMOST 3 years ago, but not quite. I'd have to look at the purchase date but it was 100% ARR. It was not a legacy account at all as I purchased (pre-purchased) the game before ARR launched but after they closed FF14 servers.

So really, I just skip the first quest of the Anima weapon if I get the account with my now zeta weapon? I guess that's not a huge deal. I don't necessarily care then.
    Unless you're already on the very last step for the Zeta, it's much faster just to do the crystal grind for the first step of the anima. So no, you're not really missing out. I (along with a lot of other folks) are already on the ilvl 230 anima but didn't turn in a zeta.

Starting now with a new account, though? You'll have a least a month or two of stuff to do before you can even start on the anima, so it would a lot of grind, but the beauty of the design of this anima quest line is you can work on multiple parts of the quest line all at the same time. Example: While I was on the second part of the quest line, which requires you to run certain dungeons, I also farmed up the mats/tomes for the third quest (which is by far the most grindy) as well as the aether oils for the fourth quest (by doing the weekly quest for the Crystal Tower raids). Even parts of the newest step, added today, could be worked on from the start.

It'll be a grind, but being it'll end up a BiS weapon (and most likely look cool as fuck), it's worth it.

Well since this thread already exist I will ask my questions here. I am thinking of getting into ff because I love ff games and am rather tired of WoW, even with the new expansion I don't feel the love I used to have for the game. So I know I would be VERY late to the party so my questions would be. 1. What server should I start on, I would want an active server and one thats friendly, within reason for online, and that would be helpful if I have questions. 2. How does progression of the character work? Coming from wow I know there is leveling and then gearing but how does that work exactly? 3. would be, what is the pace of the game? Like what is the leveling speed? Gearing speed for like raids or whatever. Thanks in advance.

1:Gilgamesh is a pretty popular server. 2:In FFXIV everything is leveled on 1 Character so you only make one then you can level multiple Jobs if you so desire to do so. 3: As for the pace of the game and leveling the first Class/Job is pretty quick due to having Main Story Quest to do but you only have about enough (MSQ) to reach max level with 1 Job. Now you can also do the Side quest but again limit amount of those as well after all quest are done if you want to Max out a lot of jobs you have to Fate Grind which is kinda like World events which happen all the time respawning all over the map. As for Raids i feel like they could do better but thats just my opinion