Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Dude movie isn't even out in America yet and people acting like they know the plot.
    Dude it's 2016. Right now, there are 8 cams of the movie on a torrenting site I have used in the past, that's one of the bigger ones. You know there's a shit ton more out there. I know several people that have seen the movie in the US from downloading the cams. (I haven't, with my ISP I stay as far away from torrents as possible)

See, they invented this thing called "The Internet"...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Reading these reviews further enforces the general opinion that critics are a worthless addition to society, a swath of people who have no creative or intelligent background in the field they critique. Rather ironic really.

The overwhelmingly negative response just strikes me as nothing more than a way for them to gain views on the various pages they write for.
    Depends on the critics, really. Some, like Siskel and Ebert, were so far gone in smelling their own farts and looking at movies from perspectives the average movie goer would never have, I never really paid attention to them, as far as picking movies to watch - they were more the act, than the review, people watched that show to either watch them pick each other apart verbally, or to watch them tear a movie or actor or director apart. I've always gone to people I know and who's tastes I trust, or I just take a chance on my own.

It's like Rolling Stone. They set themselves up as the final opinion on music - and then disregarded and sneered at generations of music, for not fitting their impossible and smug expectations. I stopped listening to them a long, long time ago. Movie sites set themselves up the same way. Some have fun with it - Honest Trailers is hilarious, and embarrassingly true very often - but I still enjoyed the hell out of a lot of the movies they rake across the coals. It's how the media *is*. It's called "pandering", it's nothing new, and it's never going away. A lot of sites pander to whatever the current meme or trend is - and online these days, negative sells.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Judging a movie based on shitty CAM versions is idiotic (at least in terms of how it looks)
    Not the point I was addressing. He made an idiotic claim that nobody in the US could know what the plot is, because the movie isn't out yet. Which is patently false.

Deleted
    I think a massive issue is the story is shite.

Yes I know wow fans love it, and with good reason, but its generic fantasy orc v human stuff, and thats just not good enough in a film anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post

Yes I know wow fans love it, and with good reason, but its generic fantasy orc v human stuff, and thats just not good enough in a film anymore.
    Have any of those movies had orcs that just wanted a place to live? Go look at LotR. They were nothing more than errend boys for Sauron. They have no voice in the story. This movie is completly different and ive heard that one of the best characters in the film is Durotan. What other Fantasy movie has good orc characters that people actually rave about?

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post

I think you're more than a little biased than to speak for the general public. Most of the posters here have immersed themselves in WoW Lore and fantasy memes and tropes for a long time - but the general public hasn't. "Good enough" for a film for the general public is something that's virtually impossible for you - and me, as well - to determine.

Case in point - the DaVinci code. Any fan of thrillers and conspiracy theory and history know the book is a piece of shit, and the movie barely watchable - but the general public *raved* about it. Because they have no exposure to the good stuff - and more important - don't care.

It's summer. People want a movie to get into the air conditioning, grab some popcorn, and be entertained with some mindless entertainment. That segement of the audience? They will make or break this movie - and going by the European reviews? It's going to do just fine.

7+ Year Old Account
    So I watched it yesterday, and really enjoyed!
    Its not a perfect movie, but I would give it a 6,5/10 or 7/10.
    I went with a friend who knew nothing about the game, and she liked it very much too.
    The biggest problem I saw with the movie its that it runs short of time.
    There's no bad acting, but a lack of backstory for some characters. Especially in Garona and the human kingdom.
    That's why the orcs are better rounded. You get their motivation straight and early.
    Gul'dan, Khadgar and Medivh, the best for me.
    If the movie was to last 3 hours, we would've plenty of time develop a much deeper understanding for all the characters objectives.
    That's the only complain I have with the movie: that it needs a part 2 to be complete.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

Rotten Tomatoes is always a joke tho, never ever took them seriously since the opinions never attune to mine. LOVED the movie, need a 2nd one!

Quote Originally Posted by Xrxes View Post
    Budget was 160 mil for this Movie, if it does 400-500 worldwide, even if not a massive success, it will be profitable and will warrant a sequel. It does not need to go over 1 billion to be profitable and receive a sequel.
    = Worldwide: $53,900,000
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm

54 million so far without having opened in many countries

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peroxidex View Post
    I never knew Lovecraft wrote Lord of the Rings!
    Warcraft is actually closer to Lovecraft's work. While there are references and easter eggs relating to Lord of the Rings, it wasn't nearly as influential. A few of Lovecraft's monsters included Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth, who share quite similar names with a boss and location in Warcraft. The story of Dagon is likely the inspiration for the Naga. There are more, but I'll leave you to search them out if interested!
    Do you silly REALLY wanna start Nitpicking that the Blizzard lore is stolen from more then the one I mentioned cause that one is known by FAR more people like all the lovecraft and elric lore in WoW? .....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Warcraft =/= Wow.
    Warcraft 1 and 2 were much darker than subsequent games.
    No they werent...but I gues you never clicked anyone more then once did you? Warcraft was ALLWAYS cartonish....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    I actually watched the film with 4 other persons (only 1 Person and I knew the warcraft lore) and 1.) they really liked it and 2.) no one said anything about Lotr. The Fantasy is somewhat similar to Lotr (you have orcs wow; lotr didnt invent them), but still it's a completely different concept and has a totally different Story than Lotr.
    Sorry but I call you a liar on this. Ask your "friends" who dont know wow/warcraft and ask them who the "blue people" at the start are....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Incorrect. I saw the entire movie theater come out scratching their heads about wtf was going on.
    yep the "story" is a mess and it should have been split into more then one movie....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Judging a movie based on shitty CAM versions is idiotic (at least in terms of how it looks)
    No matter the quality you can still see how silly the plot is every shit manga crap has better plots

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    People processed it, it shows us that RT is a shitty website to use.

Yeah, RT is basically a website that takes the average of every review they get.
    So it's a "shitty website" and it "takes the average of every review". You do understand that those two comments don't make a great deal of sense together, don't you? It's a site that amalgamates reviews from all over the place. A whole bunch of different reviewers, in different countries, with different backgrounds. It pulls all of them together, then figures out from that whether the consensus is that it is a good movie or not.

So to any sane person, the view has to be that most people that review films don't think this is a very good film.

That doesn't mean that WoW fans won't like it; far from it. I think we all know that people on this site (for example) would love this film regardless of how good or bad it is. But that isn't what these people are reviewing; they are looking at it as a stand-alone piece of art, and judging it on that basis. And most of them think it fails on that basis.

Or it's a giant conspiracy against Blizzard by a conglomerate of movie reviewers all over the world. Determined to bring them down despite them having made the best damn film in the whole wide world ever. Which if you read the comments on some of these reviews, seems to be a common view amongst the fans.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I went with a non-player as well and she had no problem understanding it.
    right so belivable....

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    right so belivable....
    Female humans exist, even if you haven't ever seen one.

Deleted
    right so belivable....
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Female humans exist, even if you haven't ever seen one.
    Loooool... Someone got "rekt".

No they werent...but I gues you never clicked anyone more then once did you? Warcraft was ALLWAYS cartonish....
    I guess you never looked at the environments (dismembered corpses in Medivh's tower for example), or read any of the story.

I think the movie has a fighting chance to make enough to justify greenlighting a sequel. They might even decide to rerelease an extended version of this movie, if interest is high enough (and if they decide there's a rabid enough core fanbase that would be willing to see it again in theaters with extra footage added.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I guess you never looked at the environments (dismembered corpses in Medivh's tower for example), or read any of the story.
    So are you discussing content or style? Because Warcraft has pretty much always been the contrast of goofy looking characters doing overly heroic stuff with some darker undertones. The Scourge and the Old Gods are a great example of cartoony designs of dark concepts.

The movie is full of violence and the characters have realistic emotional reactions to war. If anything, it's a lot more grounded than most Warcraft stories. The design of the armor, CG characters, magic and backgrounds matches that of the franchise.

Sorry but I call you a liar on this. Ask your "friends" who dont know wow/warcraft and ask them who the "blue people" at the start are....
    That's bullshit.
    In Lord of the Rings you also don't know more than half of the things. Try asking your mom who Gandalf is, what the Nazghul are, why Gandalf was called the Grey and later the White etc etc.
    The important Thing is that you get the Overall Story and not every Detail, one big plus of LotR was always that it had an even bigger Story behind it.
    Seriously, People who didn't understand the plot at all are either Retards or far more likely (like 99%): they didn't watch the movie at all.

Also your Response doesn't make any sense. How do "ask them about the Draenei" and "My friends liked the movie"/"It's no like LotR" compare??

But then again, seemingly all of your last Posts are lies/trolls and somehow it's hard for you to believe that people have actual friends, with whom they go out and watch movies and enjoy their time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    So it's a "shitty website" and it "takes the average of every review". You do understand that those two comments don't make a great deal of sense together, don't you? It's a site that amalgamates reviews from all over the place. A whole bunch of different reviewers, in different countries, with different backgrounds. It pulls all of them together, then figures out from that whether the consensus is that it is a good movie or not.

So to any sane person, the view has to be that most people that review films don't think this is a very good film.

That doesn't mean that WoW fans won't like it; far from it. I think we all know that people on this site (for example) would love this film regardless of how good or bad it is. But that isn't what these people are reviewing; they are looking at it as a stand-alone piece of art, and judging it on that basis. And most of them think it fails on that basis.

Or it's a giant conspiracy against Blizzard by a conglomerate of movie reviewers all over the world. Determined to bring them down despite them having made the best damn film in the whole wide world ever. Which if you read the comments on some of these reviews, seems to be a common view amongst the fans.
    RT and Metacritic have their Up and downs. Sometimes shitty movies like "Rogue" or "The Witch" get praised, eventhough they have very low scores on IMDB and flop hard.

You can rarely rely on reviews tbh, basically if you have interest in some movie, just watch it, the few bucks won't hurt that much if the movie sucks
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2016-06-04 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I think the movie has a fighting chance to make enough to justify greenlighting a sequel. They might even decide to rerelease an extended version of this movie, if interest is high enough (and if they decide there's a rabid enough core fanbase that would be willing to see it again in theaters with extra footage added.)
    I have my high hope for the directors cut. The film was great but felt shortened too much at some points.
    It is in my eyes the best high fantasy film as of today, would really recommend to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    I have my high hope for the directors cut. The film was great but felt shortened too much at some points.
    It is in my eyes the best high fantasy film as of today, would really recommend to see it.
    I think it's a near certainty that a director's cut will be released to video. The cost of doing so is likely small.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"