Poll: Would you still work if you you were given $2000-$2500/m from the government?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

[Poll] - Basic Income ($2000-2500/m) would you still work?

Alright, let's change the discussion. As soon as all the no-skill workers are without available jobs, what kind of feasable* solutions are out there?

It will start slowly enough, burger flippers, fry tenders, cashiers etc losing their jobs to robots but being $21 trillion in debt, CLEARLY all this new money needs to come from somewhere. I admit, I used to think everyman for themselves when it comes to their abilities (flipping burgers versus computer programming, etc) but the sad reality is that something WILL have to be done as not everyone has the mental capability to learn the skilled jobs.

*Feasable is NOT simply taxing those with skilled jobs even more money to offset the insane amount of money required to give welfare to all those whose jobs are replaced with robots.

Original Post:

So, it seems the forum is torn, and the threads become extremely long to sift through to get any sort of numbers from but the question is simple.

Would you still work if you were paid $2000-$2500/m from the government, for doing nothing? Think of it this way, if you didn't work you'd get the full amount. If you worked you wouldn't get the full amount.

EDIT: Why can't vBulletin have an option to make voting in the poll required before you leave a reply. Oh well, there goes my whole intent on the poll.
    Last edited by alturic; 2016-06-04 at 08:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd still work... if I leave my self to my own thoughts for too long I go CRAZY AS FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    Why wouldn't I get the full amount?
    Because from what I've gathered, any "basic income" threads seem to be people explaning that the amount you get is deducted by (percentage or something similar) how much you make at a job.

A basic income would work the same as minimum wage. That is a guaranteed income your would get whether you work or not.

The thing is, you might get more than that if you work, depending on your wage.

You have tainted this poll by inserting your own opinion into it.

Regardless, I would still work. I make more than that per month. A basic income would be there so people are not on the street or starve, but there is more to life than that.

Deleted
    $2500 per month seems like a lot, but then again, it depends on how much of that would be wasted on simply having a roof over your head.

So get paid 25-30K a year to do nothing but sit around and draw a check. Seeing how my mom retired making 35K, I'd say people in the rural communities would be in hog heaven. I'd imagine folks in NYC and Cali, not so much.

I'd still work, because 2k a month is what my House payment is.

Even a $1,000 I would stop working. Why let the man stick it to me when I can stick it to him? Probably start smoking weed for a hobby, complain about the government, sue people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzou View Post
    A basic income would work the same as minimum wage. That is a guaranteed income your would get whether you work or not.

The thing is, you might get more than that if you work, depending on your wage.

You have tainted this poll by inserting your own opinion into it.
    Not at all? The poll was generated from two of the basic income threads I've read on here. If you are saying some of these "basic income" policies people are trying to back would give you a guaranteed X amount of dollars on top of what you make at any job that is insanely illogical.

I do agree to a point that the poll/"basic income" discussion is a little hard to have because there's a HUGE difference between basic income RIGHT NOW versus when machines are doing all the burger flipping, fry tending, etc.

And where is all this money coming from? Your going to tank your economic system and everyone will be poor and have to rely on the government who has no more money to give. Have you seen Greece? Governments should not be responsible for paying people who dont work or dont make enough money.

In truth those people should be taken care of by other people or they should die off. Thats how nature works. Keep prolonging life and your a vampire to society.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Yes, I have several "jobs"/sources of income. I actually wouldn't want to give up any of them if I had basic income.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    $2500 per month seems like a lot, but then again, it depends on how much of that would be wasted on simply having a roof over your head.
    It's alot more than many people make per month working here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Would you still work if you were paid $2000-$2500/m from the government, for doing nothing? Think of it this way, if you didn't work you'd get the full amount. If you worked you wouldn't get the full amount.

EDIT: Why can't vBulletin have an option to make voting in the poll required before you leave a reply. Oh well, there goes my whole intent on the poll.
    Then it is NOT basic income.

Basic Income is something that EVERYONE GETS, REGARDLESS. So even if you work, you would still get FULL basic income.

What you are describing is welfare, get if you don't work, lose if you work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    And where is all this money coming from? Your going to tank your economic system and everyone will be poor and have to rely on the government who has no more money to give. Have you seen Greece? Governments should not be responsible for paying people who dont work or dont make enough money.

In truth those people should be taken care of by other people or they should die off. Thats how nature works. Keep prolonging life and your a vampire to society.
    Well, you see people who are for basic income seem to think money grows on trees. I admit, I don't know how much surplus is floating around in other governments coffers, but in the US at least, there is literally no way imaginable that the government can give (ultimately) welfare to everyone, let alone even more welfare than what's currently given to the people who are on welfare right now.

Is this $2500 a month take home or no? Regardless I'd still work, my bills alone are over 2k a month right now between rent/car/insurance etc. If that $2500 isn't take home that's pretty low.

Not at all? The poll was generated from two of the basic income threads I've read on here. If you are saying some of these "basic income" policies people are trying to back would give you a guaranteed X amount of dollars on top of what you make at any job that is insanely illogical.

I do agree to a point that the poll/"basic income" discussion is a little hard to have because there's a HUGE difference between basic income RIGHT NOW versus when machines are doing all the burger flipping, fry tending, etc.
    That is not what I am saying at all. I think a basic income should be a minimum income. If your wage falls below it then the "basic income" should make up the difference. That would make it so you would NOT fall below that basic income while working. However it would probably just be easier to tie the minimum wage to basic income + a certain % for incentive to work, even for minimum wage.

Basic income is coming. It is only a matter of time. If we don't have it we will have hordes of homeless on the streets not contributing anything to the economy. With a basic income they will have money to buy things, which adds to the economy.

Deleted
    Well, considering I live in Romania where salaries are about 300-500$ per month usually, if I suddenly got 2000-2500$ and prices would not just become 10x higher no, I would not work.

is that non-taxable? if so 2000$/m is really good

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you see people who are for basic income seem to think money grows on trees. I admit, I don't know how much surplus is floating around in other governments coffers, but in the US at least, there is literally no way imaginable that the government can give (ultimately) welfare to everyone, let alone even more welfare than what's currently given to the people who are on welfare right now.
    That is the biggest issue I have with basic income, until some sort of plan is made on how to fund it, I don't think it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzou View Post
    That is not what I am saying at all. I think a basic income should be a minimum income. If your wage falls below it then the "basic income" should make up the difference. That would make it so you would NOT fall below that basic income while working. However it would probably just be easier to tie the minimum wage to basic income + a certain % for incentive to work, even for minimum wage.

Basic income is coming. It is only a matter of time. If we don't have it we will have hordes of homeless on the streets not contributing anything to the economy. With a basic income they will have money to buy things, which adds to the economy.
    By that logic, why don't we just make the minimum wage whatever number the "basic income" is and don't worry about the government needing to keep subsidizing peoples lives?

When you say BI is coming, are you referring to the future where robots, to start with of course, start replacing the burger flippers and fry tenders? If so, I have no problem shifting the thread to THAT discussion, where robots will be doing the majority of current no skill jobs because I do agree SOMETHING will need to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    Companies would have to work harder to attract employees with BI since we are more readily able to quit bad employers. Woooo competition.
    Would be a nice change of pace when employers could no longer abuse peoples need for food. No longer could they offer horrible/downright illegal terms, knowing that they get 10 others if you don't accept their most "gracious" offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.