Poll: ?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Should pirating music/movies/games/etc stay illegal or not?

You know how people post movies on youtube and how to download games and music for free? Should stuff like that stay illegal or not? I think it should for copyright reasons.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Maybe you should start off this thread by stating a reason anyone would use justify it not being illegal?

But illegal or not, it's still going to happen.
    ^This guy gets it.

Well if it ever wasn't illegal grats on your mega hyper super annoying great drm wall on every media that makes everything more annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I think it should stay illegal, and not only that, they need to increase the punishment to deter people from doing so.

If you cannot afford something, you shouldn't get it.

Deleted
    Fiddle diddly dee! Yarr! I'm a pirate, board the cannons mateys! Yarr! Arr!

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    You know how people post movies on youtube and how to download games and music for free? Should stuff like that stay illegal or not? I think it should for copyright reasons.
    piracy is well.................. piracy.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    piracy is well.................. piracy.
    I find it odd that torrenting is considered "piracy" when you don't actually steal anything (you know, take it away from someone).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, absolutely. If people want to create a creative product and invest time, money and original ideas in doing so, they should be allowed to charge money for their own property and work. Property should be protected by law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I find it odd that torrenting is considered "piracy" when you don't actually steal anything (you know, take it away from someone).
    Simple Definition of steal
    : to take (something that does not belong to you) in a way that is wrong or illegal
    : to take (something that you are not supposed to have) without asking for permission
    : to wrongly take and use (another person's idea, words, etc.)
    You don't remove it from their possession, but you do steal it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because "piracy" was not about taking it away from the original own either?

"Priacy" was always about obtaining the data without paying for it.

someone stores it for your use. that someone is not the person with the intellectual rights to it. then you get it and provide no profit to the person who developed it in order to make money. sounds like theft to me.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

The confusion is that "pirating" is too closely related to "theft." And then the argument that "you aren't actually taking something!" arises.

I've always felt that you shouldn't profit from someone else's work, but trying it before buying it or getting a sneak peek of a movie/ 1 song from an album seems fair. I mean what if you spend your money on shit. Sampling helps end that crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's this game, it looks kinda interesting, there's 3 options..

Option 1: It's in a genre i like, so i chance it and buy it.

Option 2: There's absolutely no way for me to trial it, so i dont buy it, company gets 0 moneys.

Option 3: I download it and like it, so maybe i buy it - company might get some moneys. If it's good i might tell my friends / do a review on metacritic - company potentially earns even more moneys.

By being able to download a game, the company potentially makes more money than not, and lose none.

Of course pirating should be illegal, but they definitely shouldnt make punishments harder. As long as the gaming industry is how it is - triple A titles getting released with a plethora of bugs, unplayable for a month before patching etc without giving the customer the option to test it out, i think that companies reap what they sow.
    "I like big pulls and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny, when a mob walks in, or maybe 10, all lined up for a spell, you press 2!"..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I've always felt that you shouldn't profit from someone else's work, but trying it before buying it or getting a sneak peek of a movie/ 1 song from an album seems fair. I mean what if you spend your money on shit. Sampling helps end that crap.
    1 song from an album is too much because you still got one full song.

Maybe 30sec or even 1min of a song, so you should have experienced the intro, chorus, to decide if you like it or not, then you can decide whether or not to buy it. You can already do that on iTunes by the way.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only pay for shit that is good, which I don't see is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    Of course pirating should be illegal, but they definitely shouldnt make punishments harder. As long as the gaming industry is how it is - triple A titles getting released with a plethora of bugs, unplayable for a month before patching etc without giving the customer the option to test it out, i think that companies reap what they sow.
    I'd think that companies would be better off making demos or something. Or hell, having limited access on steam... being allowed to play for 24 hours to try it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    1 song from an album is too much because you still got one full song.

Maybe 30sec or even 1min of a song, so you should have experienced the intro, chorus, to decide if you like it or not, then you can decide whether or not to buy it. You can already do that on iTunes by the way.
    Its a stupid point anyway, you can normally just go to youtube and listen to some for free....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    There's this game, it looks kinda interesting, there's 3 options..

Option 1: It's in a genre i like, so i chance it and buy it.

Option 2: There's absolutely no way for me to trial it, so i dont buy it, company gets 0 moneys.

Option 3: I download it and like it, so maybe i buy it - company might get some moneys. If it's good i might tell my friends / do a review on metacritic - company potentially earns even more moneys.

By being able to download a game, the company potentially makes more money than not, and lose none.
    But if piracy law is being cracked down hard, you now again have few choices:

1) since you cannot trial any game before you buy it, don't buy any games ever.
    2) chance it with some of them after reviews and such.

The company again can either make money of you (because you chance that one), or not (because you didn't chance it), or again, not (because if you had trial'd it you wouldn't have buy it anyway).

It works both ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its a stupid point anyway, you can normally just go to youtube and listen to some for free....
    And they do try to crack down on that too, they just need to try harder.

Yes, it should, but fair use needs to be broadened a bit.

I support the bits that make profiting of the copy to be an exclusive right.
    Copying without profit is not illegal here though. Not yet anyway. And I would not support changing that.

Deleted
    people are gonna do it anyway even if they increased he punishment behind it, u cant stop piracy as you can get windows for free without paying for it and i dnt mean windows 10, theres a reason people pirate stuff for example PAID anti-viruses there anti viruses are average at best and they are filled with shit you can get for free example

malware scanners in av's = get malwarebytes free
    built in sandbox = get sandboxie its free

everything paid antiviruses have there is a free alternative usually better, i wont ever pay for protection of a pc on a yearly basis as i think this protection should be free which is why i use free antivirus, cos bitdefender and norton fucking suck the only good paid ones are prolly AVAST,ESET and kaspersky