Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    Whos gives a shit. As long ppl pay and go watch it doesnt matter a bit. As a reference in premiere night in my cinemas was played in 5 halls (2 normals, one 3d, and 2 dolby atmos halls) and it was fully packed sold out. Thats aproxx 3k ppl.
    Why do you care how much money it makes?
    I want a good movie.
    Unless you're a share holder, you shouldn't care how well it does financially.

Fucking drone.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Why are people criticizing the number of 10/10 ratings but not 1/10?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it is equally asinine to think this is "the worst movie ever made" as it would be to say it is the best...

If you're going to leave out the 9 and 10 ratings, you would also have to leave out the 1 and 2 ratings, right? That is, unless you have an agenda.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by talmar View Post
    Does anybody really care what reviews say or how many tomatoes it has. Will those sites really sway anyone from seeing the movie? If someone wants to see it they'll see it.
    well, the movie didn't help to get rid of the bad rep video game movies have. it made it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Why are people criticizing the number of 10/10 ratings but not 1/10?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it is equally asinine to think this is "the worst movie ever made" as it would be to say it is the best...

If you're going to leave out the 9 and 10 ratings, you would also have to leave out the 1 and 2 ratings, right? That is, unless you have an agenda.
    While both scores are equally as absurd, let's take a look at the breakdown on a site like Imdb as an example.

12066 (44,1%) gave it a score of 10.
    657 (2,4%) gave it a score of 1.

That is why. The sheer amount of people who gave it a 10/10 just because it's Warcraft heavily outweighs the amount of people who gave it a 1/10, just because it's Warcraft.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    I want a good movie.

Fucking drone.
    The movie's financial success does mean something for fans interested in seeing Warcraft's brand strengthening, potentially drawing in new players to WoW and / or spawning sequels of a movie they enjoyed.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2016-06-05 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    I want a good movie.

Fucking drone.
    potential for sequels and other merchandising. Look at how Marvel's successes spawned numerous different avenues of projects. They've trickled into TV, Netflix exclusives, numerous games, figures, loot crates and all sorts of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

7+ Year Old Account
    So. Is the movie a failure or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    Neither, well, it's what you think it is. Some thought it was just ok, others excellents, others meh, others bad and others terrible.

We cannot say until the next Tuesday.

So far it's very average.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    The box office $'s will determine that.

All preliminary signs point to a major bomb though.

Saw the movie today...or yesterday...its 1:00Am.

Its a good movie,its not a 10/10 but i would give a 8/10.There is just some Lore changes that i don't like and i think would make the movie better,wich i can't tell because...spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    The box office $'s will determine that.

All preliminary signs point to a major bomb though.
    Well, the reviews might point that way, but the foreign box office so far isn't THAT bad.

It will be interesting to see how much the weekend take declines from the previous weekend.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Saw the movie last Wednesday, thought it was brilliant. My Dad, who has no Warcraft lore knowledge whatsoever, tagged along and liked it too.

Just wanna say that the reviews are one person's opinion and you should go see it for yourself and form your own opinion.

I'm looking forward to the sequels and this is a movie I'll be adding to my home collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Doesn't matter the Harry Potter fanbase beats both of them combined. Either way SW and Warcraft aren't that far apart in size, just the Star Wars one is more devoted in cinemas, whereas the Warcraft one is more devoted behind the PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because other movies on IMDB don't have this exact same problem.

/sarcasm
    I got no problem with it. WC is entering new territory that is cinema.

I really understand those guys that vote 10s or 9s before watching the movie , really do, because word of mouth is important.

They want the film to do well at the box office, thus securing a sequel.

BTW it has made 70 million so far in 28 countries, and it is about to open in 37 more countries.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft...ou-1201767383/

7+ Year Old Account
    what i also find weird is the average for critics is 4.4/10, but its labled as 21% by rotten tomato?

and the audience reveiws average out at 3 1/3 outter 5 stars, so as i said before

it will be a good movie, not a great one, but a good one
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    what i also find weird is the average for critics is 4.4/10, but its labled as 21% by rotten tomato?
    The way those are measured you wouldn't expect them to be equal. It's not really odd.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

People also tend not to understand how box office $ works.

A film will cost like $200 million to make, and make $250 million at the box office and people will be like "Oh well it still made $50 million" which isn't true at all.

The reported budget for a movie does not take into consideration marketing costs.

Also, studios do not get 100% of box office receipts, theaters and various middle men get a cut.

You also have to factor in taxes, all that jazz, and then opportunity cost. You could have just stuck that $200 million dollars in something else.

The industry rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make about twice it's production budget before it can be considered an actual success. It's not a perfect formula but it's far more accurate than just looking at the box office receipts - production cost.

Another thing people often don't understand is why domestic box office is seen as more important than foreign. the main reason is because studios get a smaller % of foreign receipts than domestic. There are more middlemen taking cuts for oversees distribution.

With a pretty high ~$160 million production budget, the Warcraft movie will need at least $250 million domestic to be considered financially breakeven (or slightly less if it does very good oversees).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

and the audience reveiws average out at 3 1/3 outter 5 stars, so as i said before

it will be a good movie, not a great one, but a good one
    One thing this thread has taught me is how woefully misunderstood Rotten Tomatoes is.

The % is simply what % of critics gave it a favorable review overall, that's it.

So a mild thumbs down is counted the same as a huge thumbs down, likewise a mild thumbs up would be counted as a big thumbs up.

That's one reason WarCraft's score is lower than people think is fair, most critics are giving it a negative review, but only mildly negative.
    Last edited by Zaqwert; 2016-06-05 at 05:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Dude it's 2016. Right now, there are 8 cams of the movie on a torrenting site I have used in the past, that's one of the bigger ones. You know there's a shit ton more out there. I know several people that have seen the movie in the US from downloading the cams. (I haven't, with my ISP I stay as far away from torrents as possible)

See, they invented this thing called "The Internet"...
    Oh dude, right, cause you can really tell the quality of the CGI from a shitty camera. lol
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself. But, it's in a whole line of movies the family wants to see. X-Men, TMNT 2, Warcraft, and others. Going to be a busy summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    People also tend not to understand how box office $ works.

A film will cost like $200 million to make, and make $250 million at the box office and people will be like "Oh well it still made $50 million" which isn't true at all. (BvS and Civil War hovering around $320 domestic in comparison)

The reported budget for a movie does not take into consideration marketing costs.

Also, studios do not get 100% of box office receipts, theaters and various middle men get a cut.

You also have to factor in taxes, all that jazz, and then opportunity cost. You could have just stuck that $200 million dollars in something else.

The industry rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make about twice it's production budget before it can be considered an actual success. It's not a perfect formula but it's far more accurate than just looking at the box office receipts - production cost.

Another thing people often don't understand is why domestic box office is seen as more important than foreign. the main reason is because studios get a smaller % of foreign receipts than domestic. There are more middlemen taking cuts for oversees distribution.

With a pretty high ~$160 million production budget, the Warcraft movie will need at least $250 million domestic to be considered financially breakeven (or slightly less if it does very good oversees).

- - - Updated - - -

One thing this thread has taught me is how woefully misunderstood Rotten Tomatoes is.

The % is simply what % of critics gave it a favorable review overall, that's it.

So a mild thumbs down is counted the same as a huge thumbs down, likewise a mild thumbs up would be counted as a big thumbs up.

That's one reason WarCraft's score is lower than people think is fair, most critics are giving it a negative review, but only mildly negative.
    Nope. Your formula completely ignores International audience. If Universal went into this movie knowing it has to be $250 mil domestically to only break even, the movie would not be made.

In my opinion, and I stress again, my opinion, NDA for US reviews was put there for a reason - they anticipated US critics won't really embrace this movie, and US audience generally being susceptible to critics opinion a bit more than EU/Asia, they expected to make less money in the domestic market. They are banking heavily on China/International. So far they made $70mil in 28 markets in a week, with 37 more markets (including US and China) coming into play in the next two months, so Warcraft is actually doing quite well. I still think $25mil domestic opening is a bit pessimistic, but time will tell.