Poll: Appear Offline Feature for Battle.net App

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Overwatch's rank system, but do you get anything out of it that's worth more than playing with your friends?
    No offence, but that sounds very casual. Would you avoid proper raiding in WoW if a friend of yours was not good enough to make the cut so you are forced to play 5man dungeons and LFR with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    ...You made the claim. So you need to show that it has "strong support" and define exactly what "strong support" means.
    Go to: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/731...enet-9-20-2012
    Click "Latest" for the comments section and go scrolling through.

Also forum posts requesting the feature on multiple forums below (Some older some newer but it is clear that it has a lot of support):
    http://www.diablofans.com/forums/dia...r-offline-mode
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...option_coming/
    http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/12404730411
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...d_this_appear/
    http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...ic/20744364493
    http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...ic/20745044649
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    Some people just need to learn how to say "I'm just messing around by myself, don't really feel like grouping up right now." Anyone who takes offense to that probably shouldn't be on your friends list in the first place.
    However if it is a "Group of Friends" wanting to leave X person out because ALL of them find him/her frustrating to play with it becomes very difficult. But X person is a good friend and when you are messing around you are keen to play with them.
    Last edited by Oracle; 2016-06-05 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Update

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    No offence, but that sounds very casual. Would you avoid proper raiding in WoW if a friend of yours was not good enough to make the cut so you are forced to play 5man dungeons and LFR with them?
    Raiding rewards better gear than 5 mans and LFR. And you normally do it with a guild and/or people with a high enough gear score. If your friends don't meet the requirements then it's not a big deal that they can't come. And I wouldn't think you'd bring your "casual" friends to a Mythic raid anyway.

I'm asking what Overwatch rewards that would make you want to not play with your friends. A higher rank? What does that give you?

That doesn't prove strong support.

- - - Updated - - -

Raiding rewards better gear than 5 mans and LFR. And you normally do it with a guild and/or people with a high enough gear score. If your friends don't meet the requirements then it's not a big deal that they can't come. And I wouldn't think you'd bring your "casual" friends to a Mythic raid anyway.

I'm asking what Overwatch rewards that would make you want to not play with your friends. A higher rank? What does that give you?
    (I like winning more than playing with my bad friends) - OP....

10+ Year Old Account
    However if it is a "Group of Friends" wanting to leave X person out because ALL of them find him/her frustrating to play with it becomes very difficult. But X person is a good friend and when you are messing around you are keen to play with them.
    Well, we're not discussing ditching 1 person from a group. We're discussing you as an individual avoiding having to join a group.

And even then in such a situation, the person who doesn't meet the requirements should also be (made) aware of that and you just a have a talk about it. As friends normally work out their issues. I've done that in the past and worked out nicely without bad blood. Like I said before, if you just (honestly) tell people the 'why' you'll find out people in general can deal quite well with things.

Deleted
    Why is this feature so important to people? If you don't want to talk, either tell your friends/guild mates, if they are somewhat mature that should not be a problem. Very one has a bad day or week. And if that does not help ignore them.

It is not a matter of "meeting the requirements" there are MANY people in WoW that "meet the requirements" of gear score however lack the ability to perform which is a whole other discussion... that problem spans across ALL games and not isolated to a progression based system. A higher rank to me is the equivalent of acquiring new raid gear (not that ranked is implemented yet into Overwatch, however team preparation and practice is in full swing) this entirely comes down to the person and how they find it rewarding.

"And I wouldn't think you'd bring your "casual" friends to a Mythic raid anyway." - but you would find that more enjoyable... abandoning your friends for some minor rewards from Mythic raiding and telling them "You are not good enough, you have the ilvl but you can't perform"?.... The argument goes both ways

That doesn't prove strong support.
    How does 1500+ up votes on a single reddit post, countless forum posts of people requesting the feature be implemented not strong support??
    Last edited by Oracle; 2016-06-05 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Update

How does 1500+ up votes on a single reddit post, countless forum posts of people requesting the feature be implemented not strong support??
    That shows very very very low support, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Sometimes people just wanna play their game and not be disturbed. For Example, yes WoW is an MMO, but sometimes i'd just like to go farm gold without disruption, or level a profession.
    Tell people you are busy? There, not disturbed.

That shows very very very low support, actually.
    Maybe instead of criticizing what level of support is behind the feature based on a VERY small amount of information I could be bothered to link. You should actually google it and look for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    A higher rank to me is the equivalent of acquiring new raid gear (not that ranked is implemented yet into Overwatch, however team preparation and practice is in full swing) this entirely comes down to the person and how they find it rewarding.

If your friends aren't good enough for your play style, then why are you trying to hide from them? Why not just man up and tell them that you are "training" with a group for the big leagues? And if you're not playing to have fun with them then you should come forward and tell them why you're playing Overwatch.

"And I wouldn't think you'd bring your "casual" friends to a Mythic raid anyway." - but you would find that more enjoyable... abandoning your friends for some minor rewards from Mythic raiding and telling them "You are not good enough, you have the ilvl but you can't perform"?.... The argument goes both ways

Not really. If they aren't ready for Mythic then there's no way around it. If they can't follow the ques of the boss and do the mechanics then they shouldn't be there at that difficulty.

Overwatch on the other hand is just 3 game types and learning how to use the character.

Maybe instead of criticizing what level of support is behind the feature based on a VERY small amount of information I could be bothered to link. You should actually google it and look for yourself.
    Well, you made the claim. Its not my job to do your research.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Sometimes people just wanna play their game and not be disturbed. For Example, yes WoW is an MMO, but sometimes i'd just like to go farm gold without disruption, or level a profession.
    I was not trying to bash anyone just curious. I just think if you don't want to be disturbed...well don't let yourself be disturbed by anyone. But people are different and I do not think it is an unreasonable request. Even though I think it is highly unlikely for Blizzard to implement such a system.

The answer is clearly to be autistic and go "LEAVE ME ALONE I WANNA BE ALONE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

/s

If they aren't ready for Mythic then there's no way around it. If they can't follow the ques of the boss and do the mechanics then they shouldn't be there at that difficulty.
    Exactly my point, so you would alienate the individual and say "You will never be good enough to play at Mythic level."...Quick way to end the friendship because of a single game that just isn't their cup of tea.

Overwatch on the other hand is just 3 game types and learning how to use the character.
    WoW is 3 class types and learning to mimic a strategy posted by Joe Blow

Deleted
    Block all connections to various battle.net IP's using your OS firewall anu you'll get the "You've been disconnected from Battle.net" -message.

So in essence you'll emulate their usual level of quality, that being a piece of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly my point, so you would alienate the individual and say "You will never be good enough to play at Mythic level."...Quick way to end the friendship because of a single game that just isn't their cup of tea.
    I don't think you understood what I was saying. If they aren't good enough to play Mythic then you don't bring them, not that they will never be able to. Mythic is the hardest difficulty in WoW so you'd only bring in people who are capable of doing it.

Overwatch on the other hand doesn't have skill based boss fights or gear checks. It's basically jump in and shoot each other while capturing a point.

WoW is 3 class types and learning to mimic a strategy posted by Joe Blow
    Have you played WoW before?

I don't think you understood what I was saying. If they aren't good enough to play Mythic then you don't bring them, not that they will never be able to. Mythic is the hardest difficulty in WoW so you'd only bring in people who are capable of doing it.

Overwatch on the other hand doesn't have skill based boss fights or gear checks. It's basically jump in and shoot each other while capturing a point.
    That is a very simplistic view of a game that has the holy trinity, many character types and strategies, strategies that change on team by team basis... much the same as WoW Arenas only with objective based maps. Which is why I said "WoW is 3 class types and learning to mimic a strategy posted by Joe Blow"... you can make anything look simplistic on paper.

At the end of the day a person is either capable or not capable and if you want to burden them with basically telling them they suck or not then it should be up to the individual. It is not a matter of manning up and insulting your friends to their face and making them look & feel bad purely because you want to play in a top tier portion of the game.

Some game types are just not suited for some people but that isn't to say you dislike the person, maybe I am bad a RTS games... I am fine with that but a lot of people having been brought up in a society that wraps them in a bubble cant take any criticism.

Have you played WoW before?
    Hardcore Raider since Vanilla, Cleared everything to date on Heroic/Mythic except HFC and half of ICC due to taking a break from the game. Also played all roles over the years of prot paladin, ret paladin, holy paladin, lock & resto druid

I really just think some things have a great short term benefit, but has horrible long term implications. Even if Blizzard COULD do this (I believe they stated they couldn't, according to a blue post from the last thread I saw on this subject)... its not a simple QoL change like, saving action bars or increasing the quest log limit.

I really just think some things have a great short term benefit, but has horrible long term implications. Even if Blizzard COULD do this (I believe they stated they couldn't, according to a blue post from the last thread I saw on this subject)... its not a simple QoL change like, saving action bars or increasing the quest log limit.
    I have a bachelors in software and I can safely say that Blizzard could implement this with ease. People are able to use port blockers to achieve appearing offline so yes.... it is a simple QoL change.

The blue post in question actually a twitter post by @CM_Lore which I referenced in the OP, this was an issue from my understanding because they were taking the Appear Offline feature to the next level and making characters in WoW for example entirely hidden. Blizzard also said "put on the back burner for now." not that it was not possible to do.

horrible long term implications? Please list some "horrible implications"

Steam for example has had appear offline mode for a very long time and as far as I can see the only "horrible implication" is that you get butt hurt because your friend is appearing offline.

How do I take my vote back? I MEANT TO VOTE HELL NO! All those fucking systems give the manipulative shits more power and you want to give them even more power? The only price they pay for running around raping everyone is that they have to keep looking them in the eye with the btag, if you take that away those little promiscuous shits are going to be able to keep fucking everyone and getting away with it!

HELL NO TO APPEAR OFFLINE DAMNIT

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the problem... If you don't want to play with someone, then don't play with them? Why would you need to appear offline?

But yeah, I think anonymous play should be a thing in Battle.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.