Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    life is an illusion

free choice is a lie

if you save the pet you save yourself

10+ Year Old Account
    ..like he'll catch my cat
    hell I cant catch her, and she possibly likes me

I'm pretty sure they killer would then just torture and kill me after my pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    How did he get past my alarm system and not take a 1oz slug to the chest?

Furthermore, how did he catch my cat? That fucker is fast, and has multiple ways to exit my house on his own.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Still, it's not difficult to restrict yourself
    Why restrict yourself? The only reason for a binary situation like this is to stroke the ego of the person asking the question.

Case in point....

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    So most people are willing to sacrifice other people for their pets but not themselves.

That's pretty funny.

When asking the question "What would you do" and then giving only two possible answers you aren't really asking what someone would do. You are setting up someone to see if they answer in the way you think they should. They either do or they don't.

In this particular scenario, there are only two choices. Either you die and your pet lives or your pet dies and you live.
    In this scenario, events happen that would never likely happen and you are giving two choices that you would not likely chose either way. So why are you upset that people actually use their brains and think of what they would do.

How could you be sure that the serial killer would let the pet go?

You should make the question something more concrete like a train is going to hit your pet and you can either push it out of the way and die or let it die and save yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    How could you be sure that the serial killer would let the pet go?

You should make the question something more concrete like a train is going to hit your pet and you can either push it out of the way and die or let it die and save yourself.
    Doesn't work that way, grab them and keep running and you both are fine... If it's a large dog that cant be picked up you tackle them out of the way, maybe break a couple bones depending on the landing but otherwise are both still alive.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-06-05 at 04:08 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Doesn't work that way, grab them and keep running and you both are fine... If it's a large dog that cant be picked up you tackle them out of the way, maybe break a couple bones but otherwise are both still alive.

Scenario: You are a cheap dumbass who decides to move to a building across the train tracks. Instead of renting a truck you figured you would save money by carrying everything across the tracks yourself.

You have gotten everything over except for your pet and this massive metal crate with spikes all over it formerly used by roadies of a metal band that you had gotten off of craigslist for 3$. Seeing the 11:30pm train coming, and knowing that its so long it takes at least 1 1/2 hours for it to finally clear the track once it comes, and knowing your landlord will charge you another months rent if you leave your pet or crate here past midnight you decide to put the pet in the crate and haul ass across the tracks.

Unfortunately the wheels on the crate are fucked up causing it to move slowly and only in one direction so the train is almost upon you when you get there. Because the landlords property line ends on the other side of the train tracks its now or never in paying the 1200 bucks for another months rent. As you push the cart it jams up on the tracks, you now have only 2 options either let your pet die and get charged the 1200 because part of its entrails and the cart will still be on your landlords property or try to tip the cart over onto yourself, sparing your pet but killing yourself in the process thereby making it so you don't have to pay the 1200 bucks and letting you die with the knowledge that your landlord will treat your pet like a king as they loved the pet but disliked you.

In this scenario I'd prob save my pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are only two possible choices because of the scenario itself.
    That doesn't make the scenario itself any less stupid.

If you're tied up or drugged or both with no way of escaping how are you going to possibly attempt to save your pet?
    Which is a major flaw in this scenario. What is the point in having a choice between your pet and yourself when both of you are likely to die anyway?

Do you not know what a thought experiment is? They're almost always unlikely scenarios and usually used for philosophical discussion or sometimes (in this case) conversation sake.
    I know what a thought experiment is. It is a device to make you think. In which case I will use my mind to determine what answer I am satisfied with. If a question is asked I will answer it to the best of my ability, not with answers that are already laid out for me.

Deleted
    So most people are willing to sacrifice other people for their pets but not themselves.

That's pretty funny.
    Why is that funny?

Ok first, the way the OP put it, its a binary choice and would never happen. Id try to stall for time and wait for either the cops to get here or try to do something myself. Not to mention if that person drugs me, Id be highly motivated to ritualistically murder them due to my religious beliefs.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I would save before myself would be my children, and possibly my wife if she hasn't been a nag that day.
    Last edited by Mars_Trueskills; 2016-06-05 at 05:01 PM.

Not sure who would care for my Dog after I was dead ...but...my pet, kind of the "Deal" I signed on for when I adopted him. I will protect and care for him.....sooo.

Scenario: You are a cheap dumbass who decides to move to a building across the train tracks. Instead of renting a truck you figured you would save money by carrying everything across the tracks yourself.

You have gotten everything over except for your pet and this massive metal crate with spikes all over it formerly used by roadies of a metal band that you had gotten off of craigslist for 3$. Seeing the 11:30pm train coming, and knowing that its so long it takes at least 1 1/2 hours for it to finally clear the track once it comes, and knowing your landlord will charge you another months rent if you leave your pet or crate here past midnight you decide to put the pet in the crate and haul ass across the tracks.

Unfortunately the wheels on the crate are fucked up causing it to move slowly and only in one direction so the train is almost upon you when you get there. Because the landlords property line ends on the other side of the train tracks its now or never in paying the 1200 bucks for another months rent. As you push the cart it jams up on the tracks, you now have only 2 options either let your pet die and get charged the 1200 because part of its entrails and the cart will still be on your landlords property or try to tip the cart over onto yourself, sparing your pet but killing yourself in the process thereby making it so you don't have to pay the 1200 bucks and letting you die with the knowledge that your landlord will treat your pet like a king as they loved the pet but disliked you.

This is way funnier than it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Why restrict yourself? The only reason for a binary situation like this is to stroke the ego of the person asking the question.

Case in point....

Not really.. its a thought experiment. If you don't get the premise, don't answer. Its derailing. Its to answer the question "who is more important to you, you, or your pet?

But then we get answers like "but my dog is big!" .... he used a tranq dart and waited for your pet to fall asleep, then caged him....

or "I'll just flex and break my ropes and karate chop the killer!" ... what?

How is the OPs ego in this? Its a simple question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I know what a thought experiment is. It is a device to make you think. In which case I will use my mind to determine what answer I am satisfied with. If a question is asked I will answer it to the best of my ability, not with answers that are already laid out for me.
    Obviously you don't understand the point of a thought experiment then...

- - - Updated - - -

This is how specific you'd have to be for some people in a few philosophy classes I took. Otherwise, they'd just keep asking why would you ever be in that situation.
    Ironically those types of people think they are being clever, but they are really just being dense buzzkills.

All of my electives have been ethics/philosophy type classes.. you get 2-3 of those type of kids every single time.

This reminds of that old article from cracked about monkeysphere's. An interesting read if you haven't already. http://www.cracked.com/article_14990...keysphere.html

OT: Surely noone in their right mind would sacrifice themselves for any animal.

10+ Year Old Account

Simple, I don't answer questions involving scenarios that would quite literally never happen.

This is how specific you'd have to be for some people in a few philosophy classes I took. Otherwise, they'd just keep asking why would you ever be in that situation.
    Or you could make the scenario logical, and not something that couldn't possibly happen so they can just answer without questioning your beyond messed up logic.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-06-05 at 05:36 PM.

What if I am my own pet?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What if I am my own pet?!?
    Petception.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not both likely to die anyway. You're ASSUMING that whoever you choose to live will definitely live. It doesn't matter what is likely to happen in the real world.
    Why would you make a choice without thinking about what might happen afterwards? That very well may affect your answer either way. If you thought that the psycho kill was going to kill you both anyway, and he very well might, what's the point in asking if you'd save your pet by dying? The scenario in the OP doesn't mention how you dying will save your pet so why should I entertain the idea that this outcome would happen?

A thought experiment isn't simply a device to make you think, there are restrictions which are stated. Restrictions are a huge part of any thought experiment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment

Not seeing that anywhere in here. >.>

The entire point is asking if you would choose you or your pet.
    Then ask the question instead of giving a BS scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Not really.. its a thought experiment. If you don't get the premise, don't answer. Its derailing. Its to answer the question "who is more important to you, you, or your pet?
    Again, just ask the question.

How is the OPs ego in this? Its a simple question.

The question of whether to ‘save your pet or a stranger’ has been asked on here many times and most people choose to save their pet every time.

That's pretty funny.

Obviously you don't understand the point of a thought experiment then...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment

A thought experiment considers some hypothesis, theory,[1] or principle for the purpose of thinking through its consequences.

Obviously I do.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I would likely try to save my pet over myself.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!