Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

A Message to the US Warcraft fans

Hi everyone i am George from Greece(currently doing my Master in UK).

I am writing this open letter to every Warcraft fan in the US. Many things have been said about the upcoming movie, mostly negative things coming from critics.
    I am 15 years in this beautifull world/lore called Warcraft so many memories, i was so hyped to watch this movie, personally i would watch it even if it was bad because i have spent a HUGE portion on my life on this world and i also have invested a lot of money through game cards etc.

After having watched the movie yesterday i can clearly and genuinely tell u that this is a very solid movie, and for Warcraft fans its a GREAT movie, it has some character development issues(mainly because of screen cut time) but the movie overall is VERY GOOD. Fantastic CGI-fantastic music-decent overall performances except Cooper fantastic action, and Drama that it even made my gf cry.Moreover u can see the love and care DUncan Jones has put in this film, it feels it smells IT IS warcraft!

I dont want to disregard any reviewer but the average critics scores in Denmark/germany/Sweden-France-Russia are all relatevly between 6 and 8 this cant be a coincidense.THere are also many people who knew nothing about the lore and enjoyed it very much!.

I will be completely honest with u, i am writing this because Warcraft currently has a very decent openning (mainly EU and some small asian markets) of 70 million. It projects to do 200-250 mill in CHina and not 300-350 as first predictions said(still a huge number).Also 70-90 milion to the rest of the world.

So in order for this movie to have a chanse for a sequel it needs to do at least 70-80 mil in US and with the recent very bad predictions of 17-22 mill opening it doesnt seem like it.
    If the movie was BAD i would still watch 1 time just because its Warcraft but i promise i would NEVER write this letter to try to convince u to watch this, and that comes from someone who has been very vocal against some Blizzard decisions, i have a recent post with 100.00o hits in MMO champ me whining about Blizzard bringing vanilla servers.Blizzard -Legendary have done a fantastic job on the film.

Some friends in Florida told me that they booked tickets for the premier and the IMAX theatre was almost empty they were shocked,this means that some players fans of Warcraft are still sceptical about watching the film.

I know that the USA has the fanbase and the POWER to carry this film if they want if they show up, even with the low RT scores, even with the latest super hero hype..even with this ''trend of bad movie adaptations'' being around. I Genuinely beileve that if the US crowd and fanbase decides to show up we will..no you will make a VERY strong late push for the film to help it boost.I Know you have that POWER and u can surprise everyone in the box office

I wont lie, i am trying to convince u to see the film, because it is a good film and it would be a shame if we dont see the universe we all love continue the trip that just started convisingly in my opinion!Take a friend, take your family and watch the film if u have of course the money to do it!

I will personally try to watch this film once again when it will get released in Greece June 10th, if my financial situation allows me to(Greek crisis-feelsbadman).

THank you for reading this and sorry for my many spelling mistakes(Hopefully mods wont delete my post...)

With Respect George

Oh, c'mon Mr Metzen you're not fooling anyone we know it's you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Hahahhaa.In a serious note Metzen would be incredibly pissed on me from my ex post here concerning*bring back vanilla servers*.I still remember the'' u think u are but u dont'' xD

10+ Year Old Account
    it is indeed a very enjoyable movie. even my sisters who know nothing about warcraft and don't play any games liked it.

the animations and the cgi is fantastic. it has probably the best 3d effects i have seen in a movie yet. the orcs look more real than the humans somehow. especially gul'dan rocks.

it feels whimsical and colorful and "warcrafty" in a time where there is to much grit, moodiness and gray rain.

also the combat has much more "impact" than i hoped due to the pg13 rating (12 here). the sound of the doomhammer against skulls doesn't get old.

i only had one issue with the movie which was the alteration of some lore. but they said it up front that blizzard wants to retell the story of the first warcraft as it is old and dated. how good the movie is depends probably on your ability to deal with that and just take what you get. because everything else is awesome.

to reign in some expectations in a non spoilery way: the movie contains perhaps 75% of the original warcraft 1 lore. i am sure that there will be a part of what is missing in the next movie.

it feels a bit more like a prologue than the real first war.

so if they don't rectify some lore issues in the next movie i would be surprised and disappointed.

basically if you get in with very low expectations you will probably positively surprised. if you want a retelling of warcraft 1 in all its details ... not so much.

i looked at the movie as a "standard" fantasy action movie with some shoutouts to the fans and was greatly entertained.

EDIT: i watched the movie over a week after the release and the theater was half full. the only time i ever saw so much people in a movie was for star wars last christmas. so is would say it does surprisingly well for such a dorky movie.
    Last edited by Sharde; 2016-06-06 at 02:15 PM.

I think ppl need to get off critics ass. Everyone has different opinions and different lives that inform those opinions. If you are a Warcraft or a Fantasy fan. Your going to like this movie. That is not a movie critics job tho. Their job is to critique the movie so that their audience who reads the reviews (hopefully they read the review and dont just look at scores or RT scores) and those people can decide whether or not they want to see the movie.

Deleted
    idk whats so hard to understand...

If ur a blizz/wow fanboy, the movie is amazing.
    If ur not, and dont care about blizz/wow, then the movie is trash.

THE END

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post

THE END
    Not trash, just harder to follow. Warcraft fans were worried it would be dumbed down too much. It actually suffers from the opposite, it's probably not filtered down enough for the average movie goer. But the Warcraft fan in me is happy it isn't.
    Butts.

I am watching it twice, 2d and 3d!

- - - Updated - - -

THE END
    I wonder where you stand? A MMOC troll who is too cheap to pay for movie but too bitter to troll anything and everything Blizzard including MMOC?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    I am watching it twice, 2d and 3d!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder where you stand? A MMOC troll who is too cheap to pay for movie but too bitter to troll anything and everything Blizzard including MMOC?
    "too cheap to pay for movie" - the stupidity in this quote made my day, i thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by subxaero View Post
    Hi everyone i am George from Greece(currently doing my Master in UK).

I am writing this open letter to every Warcraft fan in the US. Many things have been said about the upcoming movie, mostly negative things coming from critics.
    I am 15 years in this beautifull world/lore called Warcraft so many memories, i was so hyped to watch this movie, personally i would watch it even if it was bad because i have spent a HUGE portion on my life on this world and i also have invested a lot of money through game cards etc.

After having watched the movie yesterday i can clearly and genuinely tell u that this is a very solid movie, and for Warcraft fans its a GREAT movie, it has some character development issues(mainly because of screen cut time) but the movie overall is VERY GOOD. Fantastic CGI-fantastic music-decent overall performances except Cooper fantastic action, and Drama that it even made my gf cry.Moreover u can see the love and care DUncan Jones has put in this film, it feels it smells IT IS warcraft!

I dont want to disregard any reviewer but the average critics scores in Denmark/germany/Sweden-France-Russia are all relatevly between 6 and 8 this cant be a coincidense.THere are also many people who knew nothing about the lore and enjoyed it very much!.

I will be completely honest with u, i am writing this because Warcraft currently has a very decent openning (mainly EU and some small asian markets) of 70 million. It projects to do 200-250 mill in CHina and not 300-350 as first predictions said(still a huge number).Also 70-90 milion to the rest of the world.

So in order for this movie to have a chanse for a sequel it needs to do at least 70-80 mil in US and with the recent very bad predictions of 17-22 mill opening it doesnt seem like it.
    If the movie was BAD i would still watch 1 time just because its Warcraft but i promise i would NEVER write this letter to try to convince u to watch this, and that comes from someone who has been very vocal against some Blizzard decisions, i have a recent post with 100.00o hits in MMO champ me whining about Blizzard bringing vanilla servers.Blizzard -Legendary have done a fantastic job on the film.

Some friends in Florida told me that they booked tickets for the premier and the IMAX theatre was almost empty they were shocked,this means that some players fans of Warcraft are still sceptical about watching the film.

I know that the USA has the fanbase and the POWER to carry this film if they want if they show up, even with the low RT scores, even with the latest super hero hype..even with this ''trend of bad movie adaptations'' being around. I Genuinely beileve that if the US crowd and fanbase decides to show up we will..no you will make a VERY strong late push for the film to help it boost.I Know you have that POWER and u can surprise everyone in the box office

I wont lie, i am trying to convince u to see the film, because it is a good film and it would be a shame if we dont see the universe we all love continue the trip that just started convisingly in my opinion!Take a friend, take your family and watch the film if u have of course the money to do it!

I will personally try to watch this film once again when it will get released in Greece June 10th, if my financial situation allows me to(Greek crisis-feelsbadman).

THank you for reading this and sorry for my many spelling mistakes(Hopefully mods wont delete my post...)

With Respect George
    Batman Vs Superman got bad reviews as well. But most fans loved it. It also made $862 million.
    http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-box-office/

Granted Warcraft is getting worse reviews, but neither one of these movies is/was made to receive an award. They are made to be fun, adventurous... etc.

Warcraft fans tend to be some of the most negative and jaded people I know. It begs the question why some of them continue to even play despite vehemently hating it. I tend to believe its because they are addicted, but one mans cocaine, is another soda... we're all addicted to something.

But even here on MMOC which is primarily a Warcraft fan site. Spend any length of time here and you will start to get the sense that the majority 51%+ don't even like the game anymore... its odd psychotic behavior but... wutevs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    lol. i love your response.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account

THE END
    Not true. some that are blizz/wow fan hate it and some who is not enjoy it.
    THen again I do no think the movie was amazing, but it was just good, 2h fun, entertaining.

Here is the problem man, we should not be carrying the movie. We watch the trailer, we also read some reviews, if it is not appealing there is no reason whatsoever to spend money and time watching it.

I think it is a terrible movie for non warcraft fans, right there you lose a lot of money, you cannot release a movie this caliber for a niche market. Rather let it die right there honestly, anyways blizzard will do as they want, even if they just manage to get their money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnoressa View Post
    Not trash, just harder to follow. Warcraft fans were worried it would be dumbed down too much. It actually suffers from the opposite, it's probably not filtered down enough for the average movie goer. But the Warcraft fan in me is happy it isn't.
    The only real case of "dumbing down" is the ending.
    The Orcs win in Warcraft 1 (which this is mostly the story off) but I guess that is not acceptable in movies
    Movie should have ended with the sacking of Stormwind and Lothar leading the survivors towards Lorderon.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

THE END
    IDK whats so hard to understand

true fans are harder on their fan based movies than non-fans.

THE END

You seem to be assuming that critics represent the public.
    And it is going to be a very popular thing to highlight the critical views instead of the positive.
    Those happy with something do not need to yell about it, nor "prove" their point through gathering of supporting voices.
    Those with a negative view have in many cases felt the need to legitimise their view, though they do it with high visibility to inflate the apparent representation instead of coming up with a better argument in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

lol, what is this?

players actually begging other players to go watch the movie? seriously?

is that movie THAT BAD that people have to resort to this?

"CARRY the movie"? Hilarious.

THE END
    But you wouldn't know that, now would you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Batman Vs Superman got bad reviews as well. But most fans loved it. It also made $862 million.
    http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-box-office/

Granted Warcraft is getting worse reviews, but neither one of these movies is/was made to receive an award. They are made to be fun, adventurous... etc.

Warcraft fans tend to be some of the most negative and jaded people I know. It begs the question why some of them continue to even play despite vehemently hating it. I tend to believe its because they are addicted, but one mans cocaine, is another soda... we're all addicted to something.

But even here on MMOC which is primarily a Warcraft fan site. Spend any length of time here and you will start to get the sense that the majority 51%+ don't even like the game anymore... its odd psychotic behavior but... wutevs.
    Obviously theyre not playing it anymore, subs went from 12 mill+ to probably well under 5 mill right now.

But i agree with you, i saw Bat vs Supes, i enjoyed it in the cinema, but i also agree with most critics and i understand why it had bad scores.
    Warcraft is pure fanservice, fans are gonna go and enjoy it, everyone else probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't think the movie needs to be carried by anyone.

i liked it, my friends liked it, others from my friendlist liked it, the other people in the cinema liked it (according to the talk afterwards).

it will do just fine. a movie doesn't have to crush every competition on release day to be considered profitable. making enough money to recuperate the costs is good enough for such a project financed by blizzard.

as long as it doesn't flops significantly they will make more. and as far as i can see it they are on a good way to make more than just ends meet.