Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    X-2's battle and leveling system was PHENOMENAL.

Also the story wasn't that bad. It was just based around the magical girl trope. It's not hard to get past that. I'm not saying it was on the level of FFX's story, but it's certainly not the worst thing ever that people seem to pretend it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Except they're not using the original source code. Some of the code has changed as parts of the game no longer behave as they did on release. Thus, it's more than a remaster.
    LUL, do you know what source code means? Adding things to source code does not change the source code.

It's a remaster. Learn the definition. A remake would be completely rebuilding the game from the ground up with a new source code. A remaster is taking the original work(in the case of games the source code) and touching it up to modern standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    But recently I found a rom version of the Zodiac version patched to english, and it makes 12 SO much better.
    I've heard very similar sentiments from many other people about the Zodiac version. It's the main reason I'm hyped for this remaster.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Yes, I know what source code means. I'm employed as a software engineer. The source code would necessarily be modified by any changes to the game systems before it gets compiled. You don't buy a disc with the source code on it... A remaster means NONE of the source code is changed and it's simply the visuals/audio that is improved.
    It's like arguing with that guy who insists he's right when he's not. Oh wait, nevermind that is what this is.

Just like this game is a remaster.

A remaster means a new master version of the product has been made. IE took original work and improved it. It's a term that go's far beyond gaming and was around long before it was ever used in gaming. You can't just magically make up your own definition of the word.

Original product being touched up and made better = remaster.

Square adds some gauntlet type feature and it's not a remaster... lmao. I guess TPHD wasn't a remaster because Nintendo added that useless dungeon to it

Guy thinking one added feature to the game is vastly changing the source code LMAO. Software engineer In fact, if it's just pooling assets which is what it sounds like it's not changing the source code at all. But you should know this right software engineer?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-06-06 at 04:56 PM.

Eyyy, maybe I'll get around to beating it! Still have the PS2 copy sitting on my shelf, never got around to finishing it. Even if I loathe the main character in the extreme (worst character, they should have gone with the pirate dude that they apparently originally wanted to use as the main character) I still enjoyed what I played of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my favorite FFs. Loved the setting and actually liked messing around with the combat system to make my team roaming badasses.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Remaster - to make a new copy of (a recording or film) with the sound or image improved

Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to enhancing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created recordings, either audiophonic, cinematic, or videographic.

Since this isn't an exact copy of FFXII that's not what this is. Please refer to the previous page noting the changes to certain parts of the game. This is a new version of the game that has remastered visuals and audio. The game itself isn't a straight remaster though as it has been altered in more than audio and video.
    Oh I get it.

You're ignorant to the fact that this version of the game already existed right?

The only thing square added to this version is a new gauntlet challenge feature which is just pooling assets already in the game. Nothing specifically made for it.

Where you really tricked into thinking international version content was somehow "new"?

This is all besides the point that even if the content WAS new it would still be a REMASTER.

The game is a remaster. TPHD was a remaster. It having some dungeon using already made assets didn't change this. There is not such thing as "more then a remaster". Either a game is a new project built from ground up, a port or a remaster. You're literally trying to grasp to a 1 cm straw.

Some remasters do more then others with the base game. Again, doesn't change the fact they're remaster. Just because a new remaster of a movie came out with some new deleted scenes would not make it "more then a remaster". Time to give it up...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-06-06 at 05:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PingPong View Post
    didn't play this one back in the ps2 day,i'll just wait for the inevitable pc port and try it out.
    This was one of my favorite FF games for a while, though I was not a huge fan AT ALL of the main characters. But yeah, I'm gonna be eagerly awaiting the PC port...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Pretty disappointed it was just a remake; I was hoping this would be another main series game set in the Ivalice universe. XII is among FF's best universes case closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Eyyy, maybe I'll get around to beating it! Still have the PS2 copy sitting on my shelf, never got around to finishing it. Even if I loathe the main character in the extreme (worst character, they should have gone with the pirate dude that they apparently originally wanted to use as the main character) I still enjoyed what I played of it.
    Vaan was indeed a poor protagonist, but fortunately he was not the main protagonist; he was developed last minute as an audience surrogate and he observes the story of Ashe, Basch and Baltheir as a sidekick. He gets character development in the sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Vaan was indeed a poor protagonist, but fortunately he was not the main protagonist; he was developed last minute as an audience surrogate and he observes the story of Ashe, Basch and Baltheir as a sidekick. He gets character development in the sequels.
    Sequels? I thought it was just XII, they never did any spinoffs or anything.

Either way, having to listen to him moan and complain and be a general annoyance still sucks.

Remaster - to make a new copy of (a recording or film) with the sound or image improved

Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to enhancing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created recordings, either audiophonic, cinematic, or videographic.

Since this isn't an exact copy of FFXII that's not what this is. Please refer to the previous page noting the changes to certain parts of the game. This is a new version of the game that has remastered visuals and audio. The game itself isn't a straight remaster though as it has been altered in more than audio and video.
    I wouldn't say Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii U is a remake because they added a dungeon, thus making it no longer an exact copy.

From what I've read it's a remaster of the International Version. I wouldn't call the International Version a remake of XII either.

- - - Updated - - -

Either way, having to listen to him moan and complain and be a general annoyance still sucks.
    FFXII: Revenant Wings on Nintendo DS

Also, Edge, can you fix the title of the thread? The capitalization typo is driving me crazy. Don't torture me, Edge!

Square themselves have done the same with FFX and called it a remaster, it's silly to use audio/video industry comparisons because there are more aspects to a game than audio and visuals and it's common to consider updated versions of games as remasters if they are not remade. The game isn't remade, it's just touched up in lots of aspects.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

They've done a ton of spinoffs in the Ivalice universe. In fact, FFXII is actually a spin off of the Tactics series (which started the Ivalice series of games).

Games set in the Ivalice universe:
    Tactics
    Tactics Advance
    Vagrant Story
    XII
    Tactics Advance 2 (ties extensively into XII and it's sequel)
    Reverent Wings (Direct sequel to XII and ties extensively intoTactics A2)
    Crystal defenders
    War of the Lions (ties into XII and A2)

There is also the cancelled FF game "Fortress" that was supposed to be a direct prequel to FFXII as well, detailing the war between Nalbina and the Empire. That was the last time Square worked on anything Ivalice related.

Nope, that mew mode itself makes it more than a simple remaster, you are just trying to force this into being called FF12:Remaster. And this version never came out in the US so for us it isn't a remaster, it's simply this version of the game. Regardless, it is more than a remaster as you yourself admitted but refuse to accept. Moving on now, you have a good one.
    More then a remaster admitted by me?

You mean the part where I told you there is no such thing as "more then a remaster"? It's either a remaster or it's not. You can't just use nonsensical terms to play mental gymnastics and think you can win an argument.

What's next, you going to describe ports as "more then just a port" when they add features to late ports?

Best part of this post though was... If it didn't come out in the US it doesn't count LMAO. I guess FFXHD was "more then a remaster" then as it to had international content not previously released in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Games set in the Ivalice universe:
    Tactics
    Tactics Advance
    Vagrant Story
    XII
    Tactics Advance 2 (ties extensively into XII and it's sequel)
    Reverent Wings (Direct sequel to XII and ties extensively intoTactics A2)
    Crystal defenders
    War of the Lions (ties into XII and A2)
    See, this is way over my head. I'm super casual and honestly couldn't tell you the name of a single FF "universe", much less any other games that take place in it (beyond the obvious sequels like X-2/XIII-2 etc.) I just play them as I get around to it, all the rest requires too much brain space for me.

edit: HAPPY FAROTH?! GOSH.

See, this is way over my head. I'm super casual and honestly couldn't tell you the name of a single FF "universe", much less any other games that take place in it (beyond the obvious sequels like X-2/XIII-2 etc.) I just play them as I get around to it, all the rest requires too much brain space for me.

edit: HAPPY FAROTH?! GOSH.
    Very few actually share a universe outside of the obvious you already mentioned. Ivalice is one and Fabula Nova Crystallis. The latter containing XIII and it's sequels + Type 0, Agito, Type 0 online and XV.

I've been looking forwards to this for quite a while now, ever since they updated FFX and X-2. XII is by far my favorite main series FF game so far. Lots of good changes made in the Zodiac Version of the game too, no more getting rediculously powerful weapons early on, being able to adjust your Guests Gambits and equipment and so on. I especially liked being able to use a quickening without blowing all my MP too, fantastic! Lots of other nice extras in it too, like being able to speed up the combat (hello, Yiazmat!), and the job system.

It had a good enough plot, even if it was mostly just fantasy Star Wars with nuclear weapons, huge amounts of challenging side content and developed most of the characters well enough with their limited screen time. Its just a shame they're not going to rewrite the script to edit out Vaan and Penello though, Basch or Balthier would make an infinately better main character than Vaan. I get why they did it originally, but I don't agree with it.

Still not sure why everyone gets so bent out of shape about the combat though, its by far the most interesting in any Final Fantasy game. The fact that the combat takes place in real time means buffing is incrediably powerful, and having a full 3d world allows you to really take advantage of your position. You can fight in narrow doorways to keep the numbers you fight at once low, face that big dragon away so it didn't breathe fire on all your Mages, put ranged characters on high ground so they were safe and even kite if things were going badly. Its also the only FF game where debuffs have actually been consistently useful, blindga and immobilisega do some serious work.

When you really get into the nuts and bolts, the combat system is so incrediably deep that it dwarfs that found in other FF titles. I've personally killed Ultima in under 15 seconds with the right kind of stratergy (and a little good luck, and help from our good buddy Reddas). Just hoping they don't mess around with it too much, its already as good as its going to get imo!

It says it remade the combat system? How. Looks like the same garbage from the original
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Can't wait for this. Probably my second or third favorite FF game.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It says it remade the combat system? How. Looks like the same garbage from the original
    They didn't remake shit. It's just the international version with the zodiac job systems which did vastly change the combat, but only in strategy. Mechanically it's exactly the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    When you really get into the nuts and bolts, the combat system is so incrediably deep that it dwarfs that found in other FF titles. I've personally killed Ultima in under 15 seconds with the right kind of stratergy (and a little good luck, and help from our good buddy Reddas). Just hoping they don't mess around with it too much, its already as good as its going to get imo!
    The combat in XII is a joke, and using time of fight as a measure of how hard a fight is is equally a joke.

Yiazmat is not hard to fight mechanically. The hard part is not being bored to tears after fighting a boring ass fight for hours(thankfully while still long you can kill him much faster in the international version so that trophy won't be as brutally boring to grind).

If we're talking in terms of deep combat system with a high skill cap, sounds like XIII to me not XII.

For the record outside of the XIII series(LR and XIII mainly, XIII-2 is easy as pie to 100%) I find all FF games to be rather easy. Just find it hilarious you're saying XII is somehow a deep or difficulty combat system when it's basically MMO combat on training wheels.