Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Of course, and those found guilty of a crime will face severe consequences.
    And since the US soldiers represent the military, and the US government as a whole, there will also be some changes, because this is not the only incident and there are standards when you represent something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes me glad I have my DD-214 from the Marine Corps. Honorable of course.

Japan was a blast but mostly because of the drinking.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I dont think its hate, more confusion as to why you'd want to gimp your future generations. You guys can do what you want but its not any less confusing for people whose countries run differently.
    Because we can afford to do both.

When you have 320 million people and 128 million tax payers, and a combined total of $6.7 trillion in government spending per year, we can afford to do lots of things.

And frankly, I'd never want to be Sweden. I've been there. Nice people. Beautiful country. I have a strong affinity for the place. But I am philosophically opposed to cradle to the grave government benefits.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Security for both Japan and the US. Japan has a small military and the US protects Japan from any possible invasion.

Same reason why there are bases in Europe...
    Europe, specifically the EU, is more than capable of protecting itself. The US is there solely for US interests, not to protect it from some invasion.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I don't think it's too much to expect of ANYONE, military or not, that they don't go around raping or drunk-drive killing people. However, I do think that members of the armed services can absolutely be held to a higher standard than most other random persons. Doubly so when in a foreign country.

While it's absolutely true that with larger numbers you also get more deviants, that's only an explanation and not an excuse. "It's just numbers" doesn't mean you don't need to do something about it. And things are in fact being done. Harsh measures maybe, but they've had literal decades of such issues persisting. Harsh measures may simply be warranted at this point.
    The statistics don't really exist to accurately depict military personnel vs civilian for who does more drunk driving, sexual assault, etc... The biggest issues are simply the focus of the groups. I believe (haven't looked it up recently) but being in the military leaves you far under the national average for getting a dui, disorderly, etc... But those statistics don't really take into account the age ranges of military personnel vs civilians, where the civilian world includes all ages. Ironically when it comes to sexual assault the military comes out looking awful, the study they performed showed that 4% of women in the military were the victim of sexual assault/harassment at some point. That's way above national average, but the problem is the age group, the military age group is far more likely to be a victim of sexual assault. A university study showed that women in college had a 1 in 4 chance of being a victim of sexual assault. That is simply people in college which means they could have been there for a year or 4 years at the time of the survey. 20-25% is way above the military average.

I honestly think being in the military, statistically, puts you at a far lower risk of being charged with a crime. Just from the sheer stand point of constant supervision, less free time, more responsibilities expected of you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get bored enough and out of control to do anything.

But until a proper study is released or performed, it's hard to call.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    And since the US soldiers represent the military, and the US government as a whole, there will also be some changes, because this is not the only incident and there are standards when you represent something.
    I'm not against reasonable changes, although I REALLY REALLY hate the "mass punishment" aspect of being in the military. I remember having to work weekends because someone I didn't even know would get a DUI.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Makes me glad I have my DD-214 from the Marine Corps. Honorable of course.

Japan was a blast but mostly because of the drinking.
    Mmmm, I bask in the glory of my DD-214. I have it on my wall next to my degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not against reasonable changes, although I REALLY REALLY hate the "mass punishment" aspect of being in the military. I remember having to work weekends because someone I didn't even know would get a DUI.

- - - Updated - - -

Mmmm, I bask in the glory of my DD-214. I have it on my wall next to my degree.
    Once my new house closes that's one of the first things I'm doing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Once my new house closes that's one of the first things I'm doing.
    Grats on the new house!!!

I just bought my first house last month. Having to learn how to be a handyman pretty damned quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grats on the new house!!!

I just bought my first house last month. Having to learn how to be a handyman pretty damned quick.
    Haha yep! I was like that with my first house. This one should be better but it's gas heating so I gotta learn about that shit now too. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you!

Haha yep! I was like that with my first house. This one should be better but it's gas heating so I gotta learn about that shit now too. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you!
    I'm already spotting things around the house that I need to repair.

rubber insulation coming off the bottom of the front door, and some doors that are slightly misaligned off the door frame. Stupid stuff.

OT...The ban will probably last a year and be lifted, even officers like to drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm already spotting things around the house that I need to repair.

rubber insulation coming off the bottom of the front door, and some doors that are slightly misaligned off the door frame. Stupid stuff.

OT...The ban will probably last a year and be lifted, even officers like to drink.
    Oh yeah. It'll always be that way. The wife always finds stuff for me to do.

And yeah it's dumb to punish 18,000 people for the actions of a few.

Deleted
    They getting weady fo woaw.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    The statistics don't really exist to accurately depict military personnel vs civilian for who does more drunk driving, sexual assault, etc... The biggest issues are simply the focus of the groups. I believe (haven't looked it up recently) but being in the military leaves you far under the national average for getting a dui, disorderly, etc... But those statistics don't really take into account the age ranges of military personnel vs civilians, where the civilian world includes all ages. Ironically when it comes to sexual assault the military comes out looking awful, the study they performed showed that 4% of women in the military were the victim of sexual assault/harassment at some point. That's way above national average, but the problem is the age group, the military age group is far more likely to be a victim of sexual assault. A university study showed that women in college had a 1 in 4 chance of being a victim of sexual assault. That is simply people in college which means they could have been there for a year or 4 years at the time of the survey. 20-25% is way above the military average.

I honestly think being in the military, statistically, puts you at a far lower risk of being charged with a crime. Just from the sheer stand point of constant supervision, less free time, more responsibilities expected of you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get bored enough and out of control to do anything.

But until a proper study is released or performed, it's hard to call.
    That's numbers for the US, I assume. We're talking about a foreign country here, and one with historically extremely low rates of (personal) crime at that. Some numbers to compare: 2010 Japan hat a rate of recorded rape offenses of 1.0 per 100,000 citizens, while the US had a rate of 27.3 (source). That gives you an idea of why these incidents are perceived as such a big problem, and why, consequently, there is also a correspondingly more severe response. Just imagine if some nation with more than 25 times the incident rate showed increased deviant behavior while stationed in the US - would anyone just brush it off saying "oh it's just the national average there"? Of course not, and rightly so. People wouldn't be surprised at harsh measures, heck, they'd probably DEMAND them.

10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of thing promotes teamwork and unity. As a Navy vet, I really don't have a problem with this. Shipmates can drink when they get home.

yep thats the military for you. they probably got fed up because that base has historically had a lot of problems.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much.

I when it comes to many of the anti-us military folks on mmocot I chalk it up to one sentence.

Haters gonna hate.
    I imagine a lot of them are just jelly because of the tail military dudes pull at college town bars.

But no seriously, they do.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-06-07 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    I imagine a lot of them are just jelly because of the tail military dudes pull at college town bars.

But no seriously, they do.
    Used to get in fights with college kids at KSU, and UoA Fairbanks. I've always found it amusing that theres so many military bases close to major universities.

Used to get in fights with college kids at KSU, and UoA Fairbanks. I've always found it amusing that theres so many military bases close to major universities.
    when girls tell college guys that they are in the military, the guys run very fast in the other direction...

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    when girls tell college guys that they are in the military, the guys run very fast in the other direction...
    Which literally makes no sense.

A ton of women, in the national guard partictularly, are promiscuous as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    Theres not many good looking girls in the military in general. there are a few exceptions to the rule, and I've seen some officers that are model quality, but its fucking rare.

Army girls tend to be pretty easy. I'm not saying it as a insult, but a truth. If I was a 20 year old man, single, and surrounded by 20-25 year old females who are ins shape and willing to fuck at any time any place, I'd be balls deep right now.

If the college guys are running away, more than likely its because they know the girl probably is more manly than they are.