Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You stop becoming you at about 24 y.o.

You started to become you at about 6months into your mom's prego-nancy.

7+ Year Old Account
    but the weed, given it is of dank nature, can affect ur self

Deleted
    Such black and white view... pointless discussion tbh.

after about 40, Once you figure ...oh wait..you said exist...not live.

Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    Well yes and no. You don't become you until the building blocks are put together. A couple wooden planks from IKEA aren't a table until you put them together.

There's no need to get this philosophical about it. I mean that the person you are, writing this, is you. And you were created when your dad's sperm met with your mother's egg. And the time between then and now is simply your history. The history of being you. All those experiences you've experienced were you all along, the one's inside your mother's womb and the experiences outside. The difference between my argument and my family's is that they only count for the experiences outside the womb, but they can't properly explain why (in my opinion).

I can agree with this to some degree, though a table still exists if it doesn't think.

Care to elaborate? I'm not in the pro-life camp of the view either in case you missed that
    The entire premise is the age-old argument over what existence actually is. If one is to argue that you begin to exist as conception, then the same argument can be made that you existed before that, as two different cells in two different bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Hahaha, what?

Is that some joke I don't know about, or are you being serious?

Doesn't cover the whole span I cited but everyone should get the jist.
    ________

@OP, there isn't really anything substantive at the core of your "argument" or anyone who believes as you do because it takes a step outside the physical universe into the realm of daisies made of rainbows and magic and flying unicorns.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-07 at 12:04 AM.

Care to elaborate? I'm not in the pro-life camp of the view either in case you missed that
    It just sounded like it.

Actually, you might have to define the term "exist" for those both arguments. Then I'll elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Oh boy.

Let's see here.

'You' begin to exist (from my perspective, this would refer to the situation where your 'soul' begins to exist; when it is created) somewhere between conception and implantation I believe. Though I am not sure exactly where in that process. Implantation is the latest that I believe because that is when the fetus starts to grow, to develop, and growing (ie: developing) is a sign of being human.

Their arguments don't make any sort of sense to me at all which is why I'm making this thread now. I'm just completely blown away by what they're saying. Even as I'm typing their side of arguments now I can't understand what the fuck they're on about.
    Welcome to the pro-life side of the abortion debate. Get used to those kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadur View Post
    Such black and white view... pointless discussion tbh.
    You're right. This discussion needs a lot more confusing gray areas that answer nothing. THEN it would TRULY hold some meaning!
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

15+ Year Old Account
    As the resident Socrates, does it matter?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Yes, and?
    You as a person is dictated by nothing more than your brain.

Feel free to tout your magical, spiritual shit somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    As the resident Socrates, does it matter?
    Does anything in the universe 'matter'?

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    You as a person is dictated by nothing more than your brain.

Feel free to tout your magical spiritual shit somewhere else.
    I thought that 'you' as a 'person' was dictated by nothing more than the law that defined what it meant to be a 'person'.

I mean, this is clearly a discussion of a spiritual non-physical nature. If it wasn't then 'you' as a person would have begun whenever 'you' want to think that you did, because within a purely physical omniverse (that is an omniverse (ie: everything that exists, inside OR outside our own universe) where nothing spiritual or metaphysical exists) nothing would matter and what you are speaking would only be a result of random chance synapses triggering. Don't be so close-minded.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2016-06-07 at 12:10 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    this is clearly a discussion of a spiritual non-physical nature. Don't be so close-minded.
    Then it is a discussion about nothing.

@Bovinity Divinity did you want me to post the sum of my knowledge on the development of the human brain when something simplistic is sufficient for illustrating what I mean?
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-07 at 12:12 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    but the WEED

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Then it is a discussion about nothing.
    Really? Because from my perspective, a universe driven by determinism is what is truly nothing. Every belief, opinion or thought that everyone has is just a product of unguided chance, a result of the massive domino effect that the deterministic universe has on you. What greater meaning is there in the falling of a single domino than there is in the falling of any other single domino?

Once again, don't be so close-minded. It's quite naive to just refuse to even consider the possibility that you might be wrong about something, even if for only the purpose of discussion.

At about 4:35 am eastern time.

i think therefore i am.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i think therefore i am.
    Grade school level determination of existence aside. How does one even know whether or not they exist, or even whether or not they exist in the state that they perceive themselves to exist? What determines whether something exists or not? What does it mean to 'exist'?

Really? Because from my perspective, a universe driven by determinism is what is truly nothing. Every belief, opinion or thought that everyone has is just a product of unguided chance, a result of the massive domino effect that the deterministic universe has on you. What greater meaning is there in the falling of a single domino than there is in the falling of any other single domino?

Once again, don't be so close-minded. It's quite naive to just refuse to even consider the possibility that you might be wrong about something, even if for only the purpose of discussion.
    Well that is a different conversation entirely and not a new one.

1) There is only illusory choice.
    2) Sentience is anomalous, granting choice, but the universe as a whole is still deterministic.

-
    Virtually all of the critical development stages of the brain have occurred by that point, making the person the most sentient they are likely to become.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-07 at 12:19 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Does anything in the universe 'matter'?.
    Why wouldn't it matter?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Your soul has existed for millions of years in the energy of the universehahahahahha, just kidding. You can't abort after 3 months I think, so I guess the government (we) have decided that we exist at that time.
    Mother pus bucket!