Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    No I told you that if you say "we don't have that" you stop argumentation over a definition. I kindly assumed you care for correct terms and meant to tell you "it's not important here, just be a bit more loose with it".
    Well, then every city above a million is pretty much a Ghetto. I mean how loose do you want it to be? What kind of "loose definition" fits your narrative? See, when you use terms like Ghetto, you use them for dramatic effect, not because of their descriptive nature. I can live with that, I'm immune to the hyperbole by now. But don't be surprised when I tell you, no, there is no such thing outside half a dozen places in Germany. In the entire nation. As far as "Ghettos" go, Germany has a pretty fucking low ratio Ghetto vs. something opposite. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    This smells like bullshit. For a matter of fact I know it's bullshit.

They (if "they" exist at all) are going to Croatia for summer holidays not because suddenly Berlin became Mogadishu.
    I do not believe that part either, Croatia isn't a third world country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    What problem?
    The one you imply there is does not exist.
    I agree there are no problems.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    No, you can't expect them to integrate or change their culture to better suit their new country. That's unreasonable.
    That's just how i feel and an observation i have made around these parts. It's no doubt better in some places and worse in others. I guess all we do is just hear about the bad parts really

Quote Originally Posted by thealmightymoo View Post
    That's just how i feel and an observation i have made around these parts. It's no doubt better in some places and worse in others. I guess all we do is just hear about the bad parts really
    I agree they need to integrate and adapt to the new culture, but a lot of people on this forum will yell at you for that idea.

Deleted
    Ok then waste your time finding the correct term. When you are ready and set to discuss the problem call back.
    What problem are you talking about ?

We were talking about ghettos or not ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Well, then every city above a million is pretty much a Ghetto. I mean how loose do you want it to be? What kind of "loose definition" fits your narrative? See, when you use terms like Ghetto, you use them for dramatic effect, not because of their descriptive nature. I can live with that, I'm immune to the hyperbole by now. But don't be surprised when I tell you, no, there is no such thing outside half a dozen places in Germany. In the entire nation. As far as "Ghettos" go, Germany has a pretty fucking low ratio Ghetto vs. something opposite. :P
    When someone says his neighborhood became a ghetto because 5 immigrant families live now there - the problem lies not in the word ghetto but with his view and impression. That's what should be discussed not how he uses a word. That just undermines his very aggressive and wrong feeling towards strangers. Don't offer them a way out by telling him "call it immigrant-households when you hate in public".

How many big cities (above 1 million) does germany have?

I would say half a dozen ghettos is more than enough for a country that only has 4 cities with more than a million people .

Half a dozen places meet the high criteria of the term "Ghetto" so imagine how many are bad places but dont meet the full critierias to be called a ghetto.

Sure if you dont live near them they wont affect you in the slightest but they exist and hurt people.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-06-07 at 08:47 AM.

When someone says his neighborhood became a ghetto because 5 immigrant families live now there - the problem lies not in the word ghetto but with his view and impression. That's what should be discussed not how he uses a word. That just undermines his very aggressive and wrong feeling towards strangers. Don't offer them a way out by telling him "call it immigrant-households when you hate in public".
    I'm not talking about people using the word Ghetto, I say Ghetto myself more than enough.. I talk about the media using it and you using it in a descriptive manner that suggests something in the context. So no, here I'll not say it's okay to say Ghetto, because it's oddly unspecific and not really helpful to any kind of meaningful discussion.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post

I would say half a dozen ghettos is more than enough for a country that only has 4 cities with more than a million people .

Largest is Berlin, second largest Hamburg and third largest is Munich.

Yeah, this is why it's probably best not to speak about Ghettos anymore but rather social problem districts. There's a reason people choose to use more specific words, Ghetto being an alround talent with less and less actual descriptive power but more and more judgmental bullshit hiding in it makes the word really silly by now.

Quote Originally Posted by iQ Superi0r View Post

Largest is Berlin, second largest Hamburg and third largest is Munich.
    Cologne is above 1 million too.

Cologne is above 1 million too.
    Fucking surprised me, too. They really snuck up on us like that, didn't they?

Fucking surprised me, too. They really snuck up on us like that, didn't they?
    2010: 1.007.119
    2014: 1.046.680

Frankfurt is next! (sitting at 717.624)

2010: 1.007.119
    2014: 1.046.680

Frankfurt is next! (sitting at 717.624)
    I swear, if you had made a bet with me about who was bigger, Dortmund or Cologne, I'd have put my money on Dortmund. I'm really astonished. Way to go, Cologne!

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I am aware of that. Richer places tend to attract crime somewhat. However, a true third world country (not Croatia, of course, but, say, Bosnia and Herzegovina) is VERY unlikely to be anywhere near the safety level of capitals of developed countries.

Things I've heard about Chicago... Spent 2 weeks there, been all around the city - nope, didn't look dangerous in the slightest.

Then, again, I saw slums far away while being on the train. THERE I wouldn't go.
    Bosnia is a true 3rd world Country, but Croatia totally not? In which universe? Not this one, right?

"car got reked"
    yep
    Be feared, or be fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Watain View Post
    So its offical, my german family from Berlin are coming to live with us in Croatia. They will probably stay with me, since my parents are leaving for a summer holiday. The reason? lol and behold, the immigrants have litteraly turned their lifes into hell. Their brand new VW got rekt and they have already been robed and assaulted couple of times. They say that they litteraly fear going through the streets at night. The police is of no use there, they say that they felt safer crossing the west/east Berlin border in the 80s (my uncle worked in the Berlin sewers, so he opereted in both west and east Germany).

So I ask all of you- is it worth it? Does my family have to be "refugees" from their own country, just b/c the state and the police refuse to take control?
    Croatia is pretty much a 3rd world country now, but they choose safety over welth due to Merkels policy...

inb4 ban
    Cool Story, bro XD

It's crazy how many people really think this is true (well, it actually Looks like as they just want to believe it)

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Bosnia is a true 3rd world Country, but Croatia totally not? In which universe? Not this one, right?
    I've only heard good things about Croatia. Corruption is a common problem in the balcan area, but aside from that, Croatia is as cool as you can get down there.

I've only heard good things about Croatia. Corruption is a common problem in the balcan area, but aside from that, Croatia is as cool as you can get down there.
    Yeah, but considering Bosnia a true 3rd world country and Croatia not is still stupid though (they are both 2nd world)