Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    There are certain attitudes that millennials have that prior generations did not:

1. Kids outside of wedlock is not shameful. You were considered trash for having kids outside of marriage until this generation.
    2. Loss of religion.
    3. Living at home with mom and dad in your 20s and 30s is not shameful. You would have been endlessly ridiculed for doing that in prior generations.
    4. Further to the political left than Generation X. Maybe not as far left as baby boomers, but a shift left occurred.
    I am by definition a boomer..

1. Not shameful where I come from, never was... That has stopped around the time of the world wars..
    You know, fathers died in those wars. Single mothers were common ever since.

2. Loss of religion is a thing for over 100 yrs already. It is directly connected to scientific progress. Because science pretty much disproves it.

3. Also false.. The opposite is true. The value of family as a whole is in a slow decline.
    Large families was the rule. Not only did you live with your parents, but also with your grandparents, your spouse etc etc.

4. Hogwash.. Political spectrum always existed, from all the way left, to all the way right.
    Yes, there is a slight move to the left, because during WW2 we've had a dramatic imbalance towards the right. And since people's memory is lackluster (as you display too), the destructive nature of right wing radicalism started to become forgotten. Hence why it's on the rise once again.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Fuck Babyboomers
    Fuck Generation X
    Fuck Generation Y
    Fuck Genertain "Rage"
    and
    Fuck Millennials.
    Why so mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    But millennials didn't invent the internet..
    Baby boomers did. lol

I too dislike these stupid generation labels, because they're false on so many levels.
    That was stupid too. They didn't use the internet. Social media didn't exist back then.
    Having instant access to other people's dumb ideas is unique and a very recent thing in the history of the world.

I am by definition a boomer..

1. Not shameful where I come from, never was... That has stopped around the time of the world wars..
    You know, fathers died in those wars. Single mothers were common ever since.

2. Loss of religion is a thing for over 100 yrs already. It is directly connected to scientific progress. Because science pretty much disproves it.

3. Also false.. The opposite is true. The value of family as a whole is in a slow decline.
    Large families was the rule. Not only did you live with your parents, but also with your grandparents, your spouse etc etc.

4. Hogwash.. Political spectrum always existed, from all the way left, to all the way right.
    Yes, there is a slight move to the left, because during WW2 we've had a dramatic imbalance towards the right. And since people's memory is lackluster (as you display too), the destructive nature of right wing radicalism started to become forgotten. Hence why it's on the rise once again.
    When you mention destructive nature, is that related to war? or stateside?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are certain attitudes that millennials have that prior generations did not:

1. Kids outside of wedlock is not shameful. You were considered trash for having kids outside of marriage until this generation.
    2. Loss of religion.
    3. Living at home with mom and dad in your 20s and 30s is not shameful. You would have been endlessly ridiculed for doing that in prior generations.
    4. Further to the political left than Generation X. Maybe not as far left as baby boomers, but a shift left occurred.
    On 1: Welcome to women being able to hold similar positions and not put up with horrible marriages
    On 2: Such a shame its all about hating others and not good works
    On 3: Welcome to the housing market
    On 4: Oh boo hoo. Maybe make it appeal to people? Focusing on people and joke social issues and not on building up better things makes modern conservatism not appeal to many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing that cracks me up about the past generation complaining about the new generation, is that they caused it.

When smart phones were invented, who created them? They were created in 1992 as the "Simon Personal Communicator". Then later in 1995, they were referred to as the smart phone.

Since the Millennial Generation begins in 1980, I would venture to guess it was not a 12 year old who created the Simon Personal Communicator. And it certainly was not a 15 year old who improved it to be called the Smart Phone.

It is not very wise to market something, then get mad at people for using it.

- - - Updated - - -

But millennials didn't invent the internet..
    Baby boomers did. lol

I too dislike these stupid generation labels, because they're false on so many levels.
    As well this. Much of what we are accused of abusing, was created by the past generation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Millenials do exist, the rise of the internet and the increase in social media allowing stupid ideas to spread to a larger base of stupid people has given rise to things like Tumblr and safe spaces.
    Who are the University Administrators? 30 year olds? Certainly not. These things that Millennials are accused of, such as safe spaces are created and encouraged by the previous generation.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Thing that cracks me up about the past generation complaining about the new generation, is that they caused it.

When smart phones were invented, who created them? They were created in 1992 as the "Simon Personal Communicator". Then later in 1995, they were referred to as the smart phone.

Since the Millennial Generation begins in 1980, I would venture to guess it was not a 12 year old who created the Simon Personal Communicator. And it certainly was not a 15 year old who improved it to be called the Smart Phone.

It is not very wise to market something, then get mad at people for using it.

- - - Updated - - -

As well this. Much of what we are accused of abusing, was created by the past generation.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are the University Administrators? 30 year olds? Certainly not. These things that Millennials are accused of, such as safe spaces are created and encouraged by the previous generation.
    That's a cop out and over simplification on what's going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I'm with this guy. I'm a Gen-Xer. The attitudes and mindsets of my two Mil gen sons are fairly different then my mindset. My Youngest son is pretty much the text book definition of the Mil gen. He's 19 and still can't drive. He's fine with living at home until he is 90. He just assume play video games with all his on-line friends than go outside with his physical friends. etc etc

And of course, my mindset(world outlook) was different than my baby boomer parents, who were really more silent gen minded
    You get out of it, what you put into it.

It is your duty to correct this if you do not believe his vision will provide him a successful life.

- - - Updated - - -

2. Loss of religion.
    While it doesn't carry the same social stigma, it is certainly personally shameful to live at home till you are in your 30's.

If I were single again (currently 35), I would not be interested in a woman who is still living at home. And if I were living at home, I would be carrying horrible self esteem issues while looking for a partner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    That's a cop out and over simplification on what's going on.
    How is it a cop out? Give a personal a tool, but don't be angry when they use that tool to it's fullest extent.

You're a millennial if you're between 50 and 0 years old apparently.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What the crap?! lol.

If it begins in 1980, then you would be 36 at the oldest. Where does the 50 come into play? I thought those would be Gen X?

People just mature much slower now than before. Because there's no reason for people to have to "grow up" at a natural pace anymore.

Convenience is not such a good thing because people don't learn how to value anything.

The blame doesn't fall on the generations in question, whichever generation one happens to speak of at any given time, it falls on the bad values and morals of the parents that raised (or didn't) raise them. Parents used to be teachers. They used to be guides. Lately, parents are too self absorbed and selfish to bother with even disciplining their children.

The internet and much of modern technology has actually caused our species to devolve rather than evolve. With the wealth of information and obtainable knowledge at our fingertips, we have actually become more ignorant. That's not just the so-called "millenials" either, it's a huge majority of our species it has affected.

Deleted
    There will always be a disconnect between generations, it's natural. Even within a generation there can be a disconnect.
    I am a millennial myself from the early 1980's and I absolutely loath the younger generations of millennials, that seem completely different from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just another way to keep the people divided into an Us vs Them mentality. It really is meaningless in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

-Socrates

They do exist but shouldn't.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    That was stupid too. They didn't use the internet. Social media didn't exist back then.
    Having instant access to other people's dumb ideas is unique and a very recent thing in the history of the world.
    No, wasn't stupid..
    Was meant to show that no generation has an exclusive stupidity label.
    The internet is a good example of tech evolution. It evolved with the tech needed to use it.
    It is not because the people are dumber, it is because the tech required became dirt cheap

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    When you mention destructive nature, is that related to war? or stateside?
    Both, apparently..
    Without stateside deterioration there can't be war.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    How is it a cop out? Give a personal a tool, but don't be angry when they use that tool to it's fullest extent.
    Blaming a generation for a previous generations mistakes. It comes down to personal responsibility, and yes it has been on the decline but there are plenty of shit heads raised by good parents. But these losers don't look up to good examples like their parents they look up celebrities, anywhere from gangster wannabes to sports players who beat their wives.

Lets bring up your smartphone example, that's not even a millennial problem it's a problem against all generations, I have seen adults texting and driving. I have seen adults bury their head in their phone at gatherings ignoring other people around them. Not sure how blaming a few people who invented a device on a whole generation it makes no sense.

Every generation is known for it's pros and cons, but as we continue on a downward trend it's just a matter of time before it all implodes.

TLDR I don't see millennials as a problem as a whole, every generation has it's asshats, but what I do see is more of is, less people being leaders and more people being sheep. I see more people wanting to be taken care of who don't want to take any sort of personal responsibility, especially for their own actions

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    24-39 years old.

Millennials are 1977-1992.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Blaming a generation for a previous generations mistakes. It comes down to personal responsibility, and yes it has been on the decline but there are plenty of shit heads raised by good parents. But these losers don't look up to good examples like their parents they look up celebrities, anywhere from gangster wannabes to sports players who beat their wives.

Lets bring up your smartphone example, that's not even a millennial problem it's a problem against all generations, I have seen adults texting and driving. I have seen adults bury their head in their phone at gatherings ignoring other people around them. Not sure how blaming a few people who invented a device on a whole generation it makes no sense.

Every generation is known for it's pros and cons, but as we continue on a downward trend it's just a matter of time before it all implodes.

TLDR I don't see millennials as a problem as a whole, every generation has it's asshats, but what I do see is more of is, less people being leaders and more people being sheep. I see more people wanting to be taken care of who don't want to take any sort of personal responsibility, especially for their own actions
    I agree with that. Which still makes me wonder what was wrong with that I said. The previous generation says we are always on our smart phones. But their generation created it, and to add, also abuse it like you stated.

It is stupid for the previous generation to scoff at the current one when then A: Caused it, and B: Participate just as much in it.

You are absolutely right that we need better role models, and better parenting to steer children to look up to worthy role models.

Of course, there are young people who have it right. They look up to engineers, or inventors, or strong political figures (ie: Not the celebrity politicians we seem to see so much of in the media). Those young people who look up to such role models could grow up to be future role models.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    24-39 years old.

Millennials are 1977-1992.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y, abbreviated to Gen Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000.

I love the idiots that think that people in their 20s want to live at home. We don't. It's the fucking housing market. My wife and I make $125k a year combined and we just bought a house for 300k. It's basically equivalent to what my parents bought for 70k when they were making 40k and they didn't have shit like student loans to worry about. Wage growth hasn't kept up with the increase in cost of living.
    Beta Club Brosquad