Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    For a trained assassin the waif did a shit job (if it was her!) Should have slit her throat and at least made sure the job was done. Sloppy work!

Who knows they might kill Arya, she didn't wear sword because of Bravosi tradition if you remember when she stepped on Bravos people attacked her, if you wear sword that means you are willing to duel.

George promised his wife to never kill Arya in books, so D&D might kill her for surprise in TV because all book readers think she is safe

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    For a trained assassin the waif did a shit job (if it was her!) Should have slit her throat and at least made sure the job was done. Sloppy work!
    I was thinking the same thing. in the time it took her to stab, what, 5 times? Could have easily just slit the throat and been sure of it.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    The Brotherhood Without Banners seems to have lost their way a bit - gone from defending the countryside from Lannisters to butchering camps of defenceless people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    It’s pretty easy to imagine Jaqen finding Arya, offering her his life, and conveying a warning—the Waif is still after you—just before he dies.
    I have an alternate theory... What if that WAS Arya that got stabbed, she stumbles along and is found by Jaqen who patches her up... Then confronts the Waif AS Arya, to punish her for breaking her word "don't let her suffer".

Stabbed three times in the gut and then drowned... I'd call that suffering.

Then after that Jaqen sends Arya on her first mission, back to Westeros.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    On the topic of Arya and the Waif, pretty sure the person the Waif stabbed was Jaqen.

My theory: This whole thing has been as much a test for the Waif as it was for Arya, and the Waif is failing. The codename that Arya got for her missions in Braavos was Mercy, and the very first time Arya met Jaqen he was locked in a cage with criminals, about to be burned to death. He asked her for mercy. Furthermore, Syrio Forel taught her one thing about the God of Death. "What do we say to the God of Death? Not today." Arya passed her final test when she showed mercy to Lady Crane. The Waif was supposed to show mercy on Arya, but she didn't, she failed. Jaqen even gave her one last clue when he told her not to let Arya suffer.

Everything about the scene where "Arya" books passage on that ship is all wrong. She's suddenly got all this money that we've never seen before, she's doing the rich person's walk that Varys chastised Tyrion for earlier in the season, Arya was way more confident than usual when dealing with the captain and his crew, and she didn't have Needle with her. During this whole scene, it's playing Jaqen's theme. Perhaps the most damning evidence is how "Arya" reacts to a strange old woman approaching her. She's just standing on a bridge, unarmed, out in the open. That doesn't make sense, because at the end of the previous episode, we see that Arya is so paranoid right now, she went to sleep with Needle already drawn, just in case she got attacked in her sleep. Lastly, we see "Arya" walk by someone that looks, at least from behind, exactly like the disguise Arya always uses. That person also had a large basket she was carrying that was full of stuff. It would have been easy to conceal Needle in such a thing.

RIP Sexy Jesus, you will be missed.
    I like this so much. It would also portray the Faceless Men as something higher than they look now.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    The Brotherhood Without Banners seems to have lost their way a bit - gone from defending the countryside from Lannisters to butchering camps of defenceless people
    More like The Brotherhood Without Manners amirite?

Guys how can Jaqen be/become waif, Arya or whatever? I can get the face part but what about the size of a grown man? Really..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    She wanted to make her suffer, which becomes even more evident when she twists the blade. This, is in direct conflict with Jagen's instructions to not make her suffer.

I think many theories are overly complicated and quite impossible. How could Jaqen wear Arya's face, when Arya herself still lives? It doesn't fit into the story's realism.

I think Arya's in fact injured, which will stall her journey to Westeros, but not impede it completely. The waif, on the other hand, will pay the ultimate price for disobeying Jaqen's orders, either by his hand, or Arya's.

Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    Guys how can Jaqen be/become waif, Arya or whatever? I can get the face part but what about the size of a grown man? Really..
    It's magic. Don't question it.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-06-07 at 04:19 PM.

I'm betting on the waif eventually finding Arya to relish in her suffering and to put her out of her misery, only to get owned by a sudden Needle sneak attack or even Jaquen stepping in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The only thing that will bother me about the "Arya = Jaqen" theory and the Waif being punished (which I do think is a highly plausible theory at this point) is that Arya almost constantly was fucking up and they didn't just kill her at the drop of a hat. Even when she stole a face and murdered a dude.

Seems like it'd be a bit of inconsistent application of the rules of the Waif just gets killed for twisting a knife.
    But...but...but...Arya's a Stark and a POV character!

Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    Well, assuming Jaqen = Syrio Forel, let's look at a side by side comparison of the two.

Seems some Braavosi men are really short. With how much Arya has grown since then, they'd be practically the same size. Bonus points. http://imgur.com/a/6egox

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe her intent was to ensure Arya did suffer, since it's been pretty clear that the Waif doesn't like her. This is further supported when the Waif is seen smirking when she was told to kill her. A faceless man is not supposed to get joy in killing people, but the Waif did. She was also told to not let Arya suffer, but it looks like she wanted her to.

I'm curious if this was actually a test for the Waif.
    I was actually thinking the same thing, that it was a test for the waif as well, and Jaquen would end up fixing Arya up and throwing them both out of the Faceless Men.

Was not expecting to see Lovejoy in this episode! Was a pleasant surprise. Then boom, nope. 1 episode. dang.

RIP Lovejoy

Overall good episode for me, loved baby bear <3 girl rocks!

I saw someone mention they thought the whole Arya thing was a ruse, and that she got help from the actress she saved, using props to fool into thinking she was stabbed and bleeding.

Not sure what my thoughts are on that, but 3 episodes to go to tie a lot of storylines up?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I saw someone mention they thought the whole Arya thing was a ruse, and that she got help from the actress she saved, using props to fool into thinking she was stabbed and bleeding.
    That's either a weak theory or weak writing. Arya couldn't have predicted how Waif would decide to go about killing her. She could've just slit her throat or stub her in the eye. Also she had a long dagger and she stabbed her pretty deep in the gut.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Ep8 synopsis :
    Episode #58 (season 6, episode 8): “No One”

Debut: SUNDAY, JUNE 12 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

While Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) weighs his options, Cersei (Lena Headey) answers a request. Tyrion’s (Peter Dinklage) plans bear fruit. Arya (Maisie Williams) faces a new test.

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Mark Mylod.
    http://watchersonthewall.com/hbo-con...veals-synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Well, assuming Jaqen = Syrio Forel
    Wait when did we start assuming that?
    I'm all for weird Jaqen theories but placing him in season1 as a sword-fighter compared to the super-assassin king he seems to be is a bit farfetched..

I think the only support for that theory is because Jaqen was in the Black Cells under King's Landing, a place reserved for the likes of Biter and Rorge. Which means they knew he was a Faceless Man. Which they might know if they fought Syrio and he changed somehow.

I think it doesn't hold water because I don't think Ned could/would hire a Faceless Man to train Arya (as opposed to just a regular Braavosi water dancer), and I don't think the FM would take a non-assassination contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Wait when did we start assuming that?
    I'm all for weird Jaqen theories but placing him in season1 as a sword-fighter compared to the super-assassin king he seems to be is a bit farfetched..
    Dude... Syrio was first sword of Braavos. He's not just some average sword fighter, he's the BEST sword fighter in a town full of sword fighters. Not to mention that if he was actually a faceless man, he was simply pretending to be Arya's sword fighting teacher, while he took her measure, to see if she had what it takes to be a faceless man.

Also: there's a section of the books where it speaks of Rorge and Biter acting differently towards Jaqen after they reappear in harrenal. The theory states that Jaqen actually died in the fire and "Syrio" took his place afterwards.

It's not the most water tight theory, but it has some merit.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30