Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you avoid science-fiction movies?

Recently I’ve met a few people who avoid science-fiction movies/shows because they are fearful of that becoming a reality. Like they don’t want to even imagine what could possibly be out there in space. Personally, I love science-fiction and can’t get enough of it and I think as a human, we should all have some sort of curiosity as to what is beyond the stars. I just find it strange when people say they try to avoid it and stick to realistic things.

So I’m asking if any of you have the same thoughts as the people I’ve met?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love sci-fi movies. I think you'll probably find a lot more people on forums like this who skew towards the sci-fi/fantasy demographic for obvious reasons. I have some friends who don't like sci-fi movies, but I've never heard anyone say the reason for it is because they are afraid of sci-fi concepts becoming reality. Its just not their cup of tea.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphalitz View Post
    Recently I’ve met a few people who avoid science-fiction movies/shows because they are fearful of that becoming a reality. Like they don’t want to even imagine what could possibly be out there in space.
    Those people watch reality TV. Not my kind of people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    Those people watch reality TV. Not my kind of people
    I think I am even more scared of reality becoming like reality TV than I am of reality becoming like sci-fi flicks.

Hell no. I avoid "reality TV" though. My mom can't be arsed with sci-fi or fantasy movies however, she's simply not into it if it's too "far fetched". She prefers thrillers, movies based on true events and such.

I could actually see that being a thing. Like, it wouldn't take a lot for the earth to be completely annihilated by things like black holes or giant meteorites. In reality we're very defenseless and vulnerable against threats such as that, and maybe it's comforting to just not think about it.

I enjoy sci-fi quite a bit, shows me what to expect the day when machines try to take over, aliens arrive to mess us up or the SDF crashes into the Pacific.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I think I am even more scared of reality becoming like reality TV than I am of reality becoming like sci-fi flicks.
    Get the best of both worlds and watch Running Man

If sci-fi movies are becoming reality, all I can say is where is my lightsaber, already?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Recently I’ve met a few people who avoid science-fiction movies/shows because they are fearful of that becoming a reality.
    Are you actually being serious? I mean, is that REALLY something you've encountered, honestly? I only ask cause I've met tons of people who avoid sci-fi because they think it's dumb, they think it's "childish" and "for kids", they think you can't do a good story with something so "unrealistic"(or they can't suspend their disbelief enough to enjoy it), or other reasons along those lines, but in 35 years I've never heard even ONE person saying they avoid sci-fi because they are "fearful" of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Are you actually being serious? I mean, is that REALLY something you've encountered, honestly? I only ask cause I've met tons of people who avoid sci-fi because they think it's dumb, they think it's "childish" and "for kids", they think you can't do a good story with something so "unrealistic"(or they can't suspend their disbelief enough to enjoy it), or other reasons along those lines, but in 35 years I've never heard even ONE person saying they avoid sci-fi because they are "fearful" of it.
    I have to agree, I've never heard the fearful aspect, its usually that they think its dumb or childish. Although I have run into a person or two who didn't like it because of the science aspect, they couldn't comprehend what it was they were watching.

I'm not a fan of them no. Avoid them out of fear though? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If sci-fi movies are becoming reality, all I can say is where is my lightsaber, already?!
    They would be bad weapons, inefficient, hard to make, expensive as fuck, and utterly useless outside of looking cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    They would be bad weapons, inefficient, hard to make, expensive as fuck, and utterly useless outside of looking cool.
    I'm picturing all the accidental light saber self amputations, lol

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't avoid the genre, but I think I tend to be more critical of sci-fi plot devices and science jargon than I would of similar explanations in a fantasy or action movie. Like "why don't they just fly into Mordor" bothered me less than "why can't the engineers have found a way too recycle co2 on their respirators on the year long flight to mars" from Prometheus. I have an issue with suspension of belief basically.

The one thing I do avoid are fringe "documentaries". I'm talking ancient aliens, UFO files, things like that. I actually find the first example offensive for a multitude of reasons that aren't exactly relevant to the OT.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    When I say fearful, it’s more in the sense that they don’t want to imagine these things could possibly exist in space somewhere or could exist. Just thinking about sci-fi troubles them and as a result, avoid these type of movies all together.

I’m serious though. I’ve heard of people being scared to even go into space if they had the chance but never like afraid of imagining.
    Last edited by mmoc1647d17dd8; 2016-06-07 at 04:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    They could cut AND toast bread at the same time. That's literally the opposite of useless. Just ask Alton Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    They could cut AND toast bread at the same time. That's literally the opposite of useless. Just ask Alton Brown.
    Are you sure you need a saber for that, and not just you know... a knife?

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure you need a saber for that, and not just you know... a knife?
    Technique has always been more important than size. A Saber is a big knife, but if anybody ever calied their sword useless, they're doing something wrong with it.

Jokes aside, aren't lightsabers supposed to have an adjustment knob to control the length of the blade? It may not exactly be the best weapon in the world, but in a place where laser bolts travel about as fast as paintballs and diplomats have a tendency to get trapped behind 18" think steel doors, a tool that can cut through anything including breakfast preparation sounds pretty handy.

I’m serious though. I’ve heard of people being scared to even go into space if they had the chance but never like afraid of imagining.
    Well, shit, it makes a lot of fucking sense to be scared to go into space. If something goes very wrong, you're dead, no save, no reset, game over man.