Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    In Nighthold, Gul'dan is trying to turn Illidan's body into a new avatar of Sargeras. Him arriving on Azeroth for the first time since the First War likely would've heralded a new burning crusade.

Would be genuinely fun if they made something that directly depends on the players' actions in the game. For instance, the Burning Legion assaults Dalaran and manages to nearly obliterate the entire city because the players died too much/didn't kill enough demons to prevent them destroying parts of the city, so before anything else can be done everyone has to work towards rebuilding the city, reinforcing it and building up defenses around the major capitals, not knowing where the Legion will strike next. It would involve faction-based and universal quests which determine how well you progress through the story.

Another example would be that an event gets announced at random how the Legion is spotted making an assault on Stormwind or Orgrimmar or any other settlement. Players rush and encounter dungeon-grade mobs and enemies that are laying siege on the city with a proper defender casualty count, a demonic casualty assault and the durability of certain structures. After the assault is over, quests open up to help assist with the rebuilding, tending to the wounded, sending out message to other settlements, preventing the demons from obtaining powerful artifacts in ancient sites and cleaning up the demons. If they players fail in the defense of a settlement, a nearby Burning Legion gate is established which requires destroying and much more.

[South Park accent] Long story short - something proactive, that makes the players feel like they are part of World of Warcraft and that being on time somewhere and being present really matters and contributes to something. Would work much better than making everyone a class leader in my opinion.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-06-07 at 12:32 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    That's not entirely true
    In boring tundra we overcome scourge who was preventing us from landing in northrend and in the end destroy their local base there.
    In howling fiord we obliterate their vrykul allies.
    In grizzly we cut short their worgen project.
    In dragonblight we cut off their reinforcements from both AN and Naxx as well as prevent their dragon ressurecting operations.
    In storm peaks we strike at their val'kyr source.
    in zul'drak we cripple drakuru plans and completely destroy local scourge presence.
    In scholazar we stop their advancement into area.
    And Icecrown is just slow march against them where we estabilish foothold after foothold and even start a tournament that they are incapable of destroying.
    Give this man a Cookie

- - - Updated - - -

Can't sargeras just listen to DJ Khaled and make another one ?
    *listing to DJ khaled*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I'm sorry, new big bad evil guys? You realise that the burning legion are probably the biggest staple villain of the warcraft universe and have been around since literally the very beginning, right? Not to mention the two other times they've invaded Azeroth.
    3 times*.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    In Nighthold, Gul'dan is trying to turn Illidan's body into a new avatar of Sargeras. Him arriving on Azeroth for the first time since the First War likely would've heralded a new burning crusade.
    is this confirmed ?!
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Let me preface by saying I understand that the pre-patch event is all about the Burning Legion invading, with them being all over the world as well as the whole Broken Shore scenario taking place. However this is more about the expansion itself.

Looking into the various storylines, dungeons, and raids of the expansion, its seeming like this is another instance of what happened in WoD: Blizzard tries to establish the new big bad evil guys as a legitimate threat at the start, then we spend the remainder either not doing much with them, or flat out steam rolling them flat.

Azsuna has to do with night elf and naga stuff.
    Stormheim is about Legion getting allies with the Vrykul, and failing.
    Val'Sharah is about the Emerald Nightmare
    Highmountain is about Tauren and alliance vs horde conflict.

The dungeons are mostly unrelated to the Legion
    I'll admit Suramar is Burning Legion related. But it just seems a slapshop repeat of the War of the Ancients with the Nightborne queen replacing the Highborne queen. And once more, is just another "Legion fails getting allies" subplot.

It seems we'll be spending the onset of Legion doing little else but stopping the Legion from getting allies and largely not fighting them. Then in the next raid patch we'll be kicking their crap in at the Broken Shore. In other words, the while expansion is based around the Burning Legion being seen as a threat for the first hour of the expansion (Broken Shore), and then them getting established as an entire none-threat as they do nothing else past this point.

Am I missing something here, or is this really just blizzard repeating all the same mistakes of WoD storytelling wise? Its following the same exact format of villains coming, villains failing, villains getting ass kicked during expansion and in later raid patch in a place we already visited at the start (Tanaan/Broken Shore).
    The Legion is using their typical strategy in part of the Broken Isles: corrupt a leader so his race serves you as well. They're also doing a standard invasion in some places there (Suramar, Val'sharah, Aszuna...).
    Besides, they're launching a MASSIVE invasion to basically the whole world. The monk base in Kun Lai is destroyed, they've attacked the Valley of Eternal Blossoms, Nordrassil almost got destroyed too, the Wildhammer dwarves are all but hopeless, Varian, Tirion and Vol'jin are dead, Dalaran, Stormwind and Orgrimmar are attacked during the pre-patch, Scholomance and Tol'barad have been taken, everyone in Darkshire is either dead or a cultist, the Earthen Ring is attacked, there's a "Fel Hodir" model (meaning they'll do stuff at Ulduar), Stormwind is attacked ONCE AGAIN after launch (seriously, can't that city be safe for a single expansion?). Oh, and there is the regular invasion event in the pre-patch.

This post baffles me. Would you rather it be an all out engagement right off from the beginning where the first raid has us toppling their forces? War takes time. And the primary forces themselves are not always present in every area. Each zone has us facing off different sects or would-be threats that may or may not have pledged their service to the Legion. Each area culminates in a dungeon where the main goal is securing an important artifact (not to be confused with the new weapons) which can be used by or against us in various ways. There's obviously more going on than simply the Legion invading Azeroth. What all that is, I'm not sure. I do expect it'll be shown in due time.

That's not entirely true
    In boring tundra we overcome scourge who was preventing us from landing in northrend and in the end destroy their local base there.
    In howling fiord we obliterate their vrykul allies.
    In grizzly we cut short their worgen project.
    In dragonblight we cut off their reinforcements from both AN and Naxx as well as prevent their dragon ressurecting operations.
    In storm peaks we strike at their val'kyr source.
    in zul'drak we cripple drakuru plans and completely destroy local scourge presence.
    In scholazar we stop their advancement into area.
    And Icecrown is just slow march against them where we estabilish foothold after foothold and even start a tournament that they are incapable of destroying.

I like how toppy just ignores this fact

Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    is this confirmed ?!
    There's audio from Khadgar that outright confirms it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning clearly, it's stated in their name, no?

What they are doing is attempting to get more forces but we the champions shut them down. In Stormheim they are corrupting the storm drakes and Vrykul. In High Mountain they corrupt a tribe of tauren. In Valsharah they are the ones responsible for the dream spreading since Xavius is a member of the Burning Legion and are trying to turn the ghosts in the castle I'm blanking on the name of against us. Then in Azsuna they are assaulting the tomb of the Wardens to get reinforcements there and create a foot hold on one of the islands. Just because we then show up and sort it out doesn't mean they aren't doing anything.

Hell in the warrior campaign they assault Ulduar almost taking it over again only getting pushed back because one of the world's greatest champions shows up and in the process they steal Hodir away and fel corrupt him. Eventually we follow and retrieve him. You are acting like these things are nothing because in the end we win. Well that's just how it is. They do however present a constant threat to us at least in the story up through the raid in Suramar.

As far as the idea that them getting allies is somehow backwards that would be true if they had a strong presence on Azeroth before the invasion and they could get those allies before they attack. They however pushed their advantage as far as they could before the forces against them rallied. Once their enemies were rallied they needed more than they had so they went looking for allies.
    Last edited by Drattz; 2016-06-07 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Let me preface by saying I understand that the pre-patch event is all about the Burning Legion invading, with them being all over the world as well as the whole Broken Shore scenario taking place. However this is more about the expansion itself.

Looking into the various storylines, dungeons, and raids of the expansion, its seeming like this is another instance of what happened in WoD: Blizzard tries to establish the new big bad evil guys as a legitimate threat at the start, then we spend the remainder either not doing much with them, or flat out steam rolling them flat.

Azsuna has to do with night elf and naga stuff.
    Stormheim is about Legion getting allies with the Vrykul, and failing.
    Val'Sharah is about the Emerald Nightmare
    Highmountain is about Tauren and alliance vs horde conflict.

The dungeons are mostly unrelated to the Legion
    I'll admit Suramar is Burning Legion related. But it just seems a slapshop repeat of the War of the Ancients with the Nightborne queen replacing the Highborne queen. And once more, is just another "Legion fails getting allies" subplot.

It seems we'll be spending the onset of Legion doing little else but stopping the Legion from getting allies and largely not fighting them. Then in the next raid patch we'll be kicking their crap in at the Broken Shore. In other words, the while expansion is based around the Burning Legion being seen as a threat for the first hour of the expansion (Broken Shore), and then them getting established as an entire none-threat as they do nothing else past this point.

Am I missing something here, or is this really just blizzard repeating all the same mistakes of WoD storytelling wise? Its following the same exact format of villains coming, villains failing, villains getting ass kicked during expansion and in later raid patch in a place we already visited at the start (Tanaan/Broken Shore).
    Don't forget the expansion will have more than one patch. In WoLK, we took a few detour before finally facing the Lich King. I expect it will be the same way in Legion.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

There's audio from Khadgar that outright confirms it.
    Do you have a link to that? I thought it wasn't confirmed yet.

It was also quite a ways into Cataclysm before we faced Deathwing.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forde View Post
    https://youtu.be/fcdYHU9hS0A

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the link, hadn't seen it. Definitely interesting now that its confirmed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Aren't they trying to resurrect the avatar of sarg?
    No, there's been nothing stated related to that short of headcanon and fanfiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forde View Post
    Unless they pull a mythic Imperator, it doesn't happen so it's not like we even fight Illidageras since we beat Guldan before anything happens

- - - Updated - - -

It's not an avatar, it's a host as explicitly stated by the Khadgar quotes. Host=spirit of something inhabiting Avatar=sacrifice a portion of your being to create a copy of yourself on a much smaller scale.

They already said Sargeras doesn't apply to the demon rules of the TN. However apparently, as seen with Medivh, his spirit can move about between bodies. If you're calling Illidan an avatar, then so was Medivh.

You forgot Suramar too - where the nightborne are on a precipice. Gul'dan securing that place and utilising the nightwell will be disastrous.

It seems the zone activities are happening within the day of Elisande's betrayal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laying carpet for Big Daddy Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    No, there's been nothing stated related to that short of headcanon and fanfiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless they pull a mythic Imperator, it doesn't happen so it's not like we even fight Illidageras since we beat Guldan before anything happens

- - - Updated - - -

It's not an avatar, it's a host as explicitly stated by the Khadgar quotes. Host=spirit of something inhabiting Avatar=sacrifice a portion of your being to create a copy of yourself on a much smaller scale.

They already said Sargeras doesn't apply to the demon rules of the TN. However apparently, as seen with Medivh, his spirit can move about between bodies. If you're calling Illidan an avatar, then so was Medivh.
    Wasn't it the spirit of the avatar of sargeras inside Medivh, put there when Aegwyn killed its body, and the corpse put in the tomb?

You forgot Suramar too - where the nightborne are on a precipice. Gul'dan securing that place and utilising the nightwell will be disastrous.

It seems the zone activities are happening within the first few weeks of Elisande's surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Wasn't it the spirit of the avatar of sargeras inside Medivh, put there when Aegwyn killed its body, and the corpse put in the tomb?
    No it was his literal spirit which was weird. An avatar by nature is like you make a weaker twin of yourself or something you physically created imbued with your lifeforce to act on your behalf. It was literally Sargeras's spirit in both of them.