Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    IMO smoking while other people are eating nearby, no matter if outside or not, is rude in general. I am fine with no smoking at restaurants.
    On other places it should be up to the establishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Smoking infuriates me. And very few smokers give a single shit about those they're poisoning.

I smoke and would not care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Nobody ever lost weight or stopped smoking? Damnit, I guess I gotta make myself disappear twice over.
    "huehue im gonna try to be funny instead of acknowledging the comparison."

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    "huehue im gonna try to be funny instead of acknowledging the comparison."
    Your comparison is laughable, so I made a joke of it.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Deleted
    I wish they would impose this ban in Germany. And while there at it they should ban smoking in cars as well if minors are present, every time I see that my blood pressure skyrockets.

Like obesity?
    Sure? You seem to have some weird, almost perverse fetish with obesity. Maybe try staying on topic? If that is possible of course. If not I am sure a google search can help sate that thirst you're feeling for the overweight.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why dont we give non smokers large sticks so they can beat smokers everytime they light up in public, let the persecution come to its natural conclusion, or just ban smokes out right. Then we can move on to liquor, or is fast food next or soda since fat people will be the next drain on healthcare.

Disclaimer , I'm a non smoker and smoke doesnt really bother me, I find peoples perfume and cologne to be more of a bother

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Your comparison is laughable, so I made a joke of it.
    You got lawyered and now your throwing tantrums like a child.
    Which is my que to leave and celebrate my victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    Why dont we give non smokers large sticks so they can beat smokers everytime they light up in public, let the persecution come to its natural conclusion, or just ban smokes out right. Then we can move on to liquor, or is fast food next or soda since fat people will be the next drain on healthcare.

Disclaimer , I'm a non smoker and smoke doesnt really bother me, I find peoples perfume and cologne to be more of a bother
    Can we give everyone sticks? To smash... people on scooters passing you allmost hitting you by an inch? Segway drivers? People who throw away banana peels? People with transferrable diseases in public? Healthcare dangers everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    This has £12bn income, but excludes employee tax contributions, and £14bn outgoing, but including a rather dodgy £2.9bn for smoke breaks - also taxes on tobacco have gone up since then.

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-sm...akes-treasury/

ASH have various facts sheets, but they have £19.4bn income and £13.9bn outgoing, so take their figures with a pinch of salt.

http://ash.org.uk/information/facts-...ts/fact-sheets

The problem is that everyone massages the figures, so ASH make odd claims about what is income from tobacco and anti-smoking groups include smoke breaks that employees would be taking anyway.
    Tough one to nail down. I suppose I am biased living in the US where smoking costs outweigh tax income by multiples. It is hard to say how much income is the truly efficient abatement, but if it is really 19bn vs 14bn I suppose it is more than fair to cover radicals.
    Last edited by Pwellzor; 2016-06-07 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    What do you think about smoking bans in public places?
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Well not going to lie, I really hate cigarette smoke. Outside doesn't make it any better when it is constantly being huffed about the place.

I can see how after the indoor ban this could be seen as a bit of a blow however.
    This, definetly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I love how many people go the "fuck feminism!! ruining society!" Never change, "/r/incels" champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    No more eeeelves!

Deleted
    Like obesity?
    comparing eating habits to smoking? never saw a fat person smearing burger sauce over my body, or forcing me to choke down a bit of bacon.
    I have been smoking for 15 years, but actually embraced when they changed the laws so you couldnt smoke inside anymore. Its pretty nice not to smell like shit evey time you leave a bar or a club.
    People had to deal with that for decades, now it is the turn of the non smoking people. And actually its better for smokers to smoke less. Everyone knows it, every sane person wants to quit at some point. So why not see the positive aspects instead of raging about it all the time.
    I dont care if people smoke in public, but I dont want to be forced to inhale shit of someone smoking because he is visiting the same place like me.

You got lawyered and now your throwing tantrums like a child.
    Which is my que to leave and celebrate my victory.
    Well, you gave up fast. To be honest, with such a weak start, I wasn't expecting much either.

Have fun in your celebration though!
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einst3in View Post
    comparing eating habits to smoking? never saw a fat person smearing burger sauce over my body, or forcing me to choke down a bit of bacon.
    I have been smoking for 15 years, but actually embraced when they changed the laws so you couldnt smoke inside anymore. Its pretty nice not to smell like shit evey time you leave a bar or a club.
    People had to deal with that for decades, now it is the turn of the non smoking people. And actually its better for smokers to smoke less. Everyone knows it, every sane person wants to quit at some point. So why not see the positive aspects instead of raging about it all the time.
    I dont care if people smoke in public, but I dont want to be forced to inhale shit of someone smoking because he is visiting the same place like me.
    Were talking outdoors. Smoke goes up. It doesnt even reach the person next to you. It doesnt keep on lingering in the area.
    Alot of places here already have designated area's to smoke in. Like fucking pens for animals. Its ludicrous.

I bet you enjoy smelling like dried up beer and sweat more.

Were talking outdoors. Smoke goes up. It doesnt even reach the person next to you.
    Alot of places here already have designated area's to smoke in. Like fucking pens for animals. Its ludicrous.

I bet you enjoy smelling like dried up beer and sweat more.
    I don't know what cigarettes you're used to where the scent doesn't linger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Tough one to nail down. I suppose I am biased living in the US where smoking costs outweigh tax income by multiples. It is hard to say how much income is the truly efficient abatement, but if it is really 19bn vs 14bn I suppose it is more than fair to cover radicals.
    The US is different, you have to remember our healthcare costs in the UK (as they would be in Sweden) are based on a national healthcare system, even taking into account population size differences the costs in the UK are significantly lower for the same treatment you would receive in the US.

Using the figures you provided earlier and adjusting for population, the US would be paying less than half what it currently is if it had a UK-style system - on my rough estimate about $75bn vs the $170bn you quoted.

Edit: Even including loss of productivity in the UK, if your figure included it, that would be about a cost of $100bn with a UK-style system.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2016-06-07 at 10:23 PM.

Being able to breath anything but smoke in pubs was nice for a while. Now I'm kinda sick of how people actually smell when partying.
    I don't fancy people smoking while I'm eating. But, call me crazy, I like it when having a coffee so i don't skip a bit of a whiff from someone else's smoking.
    Since those two things happen sequentially in the same place in our culture here, I kind if put up with smoking while eating outside.
    I guess I would support it if it was up to the establishment. Maybe even require every establishment that permits smoking to designate a smoke free zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The US is different, you have to remember our healthcare costs in the UK (as they would be in Sweden) are based on a national healthcare system, even taking into account population size differences the costs in the UK are significantly lower for the same treatment you would receive in the US.

Using the figures you provided earlier and adjusting for population, the US would be paying less than half what it currently is if it had a UK-style system - on my rough estimate about $75bn vs the $170bn you quoted.
    Oh absolutely, but I don't expect the healthcare system to change dramatically in the US, even if say Bernie were to be elected.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've appreciated the smoking ban in the US.

Years ago, when they banned smoking inside businesses in America, a funny thing happened to me. I was in a band and frequently played a small club. We knew the staff well and often stopped in when we weren't playing shows too. I was loading in one night about 2 weeks after the ban went into effect. I looked around and said, "hey the stage looks great with the new paint." The bartender said they hadn't repainted recently. I realized it was my first time seeing the club without the wall of cigarette smoke. I felt like an idiot, but amazed by just how different it looked at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I've appreciated the smoking ban in the US.

Years ago, when they banned smoking inside businesses in America, a funny thing happened to me. I was in a band and frequently played a small club. We knew the staff well and often stopped in when we weren't playing shows too. I was loading in one night about 2 weeks after the ban went into effect. I looked around and said, "hey the stage looks great with the new paint." The bartender said they hadn't repainted recently. I realized it was my first time seeing the club without the wall of cigarette smoke. I felt like an idiot, but amazed by just how different it looked at the same time.
    Yeah honestly the indoor smoking ban is probably one of the best things I have seen in my lifetime. I can barely remember what my clothes used to smell like after a night out and I don't want to
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.