Thread: New RTS games

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New RTS games

I was a huge frozen throne player, loved everything about it from custom games and FFAs to 4V4s. My question is, is there any games coming out that are like frozen throne? Or maybe there are games out right now that still have a ton of players playing it. No I dont want to play StarCraft. I've been playing WoW for to long now and even though overwatch is a blast I was hoping to get back into an RTS game.

Any games come to mind.

Thanks
    It's like picking between two block's nacking your wife.- G nev

RTS, popular ones, are:
    WarCraft III
    StarCraft II
    Warhammer 40 000: Dawn of War I and II
    Company of Heroes I and II
    The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II

and I am afraid that's it from the "popular RTS" list.

There were a few new RTS released not so long ago, like:
    Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
    Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
    Grey Goo
    but they are niche and only first 2 of them are good. Grey Goo is not good.

Nowdays, Turn-based Strategy 4X/hybrids are more popular among players of all age, simply because they offer much more options and possibilities, peaceful competition and great complexity. Some examples of veeery popular ones:
    Total War: Warhammer
    Stellaris
    Civilization V (and upcoming VI)
    Endless Legend
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Hearths of Iron IV
    Europa Universalis IV
    Endless Space
    Galactic Civilizations III
    and the market is now focusing on these.

The only good RTS that will be released this/next year is Warhammer 40 000: Dawn of War III.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is like Frozen Throne? I think Dawn of War 1 is your best bet. Summer sale is coming up on steam, you may be able get the whole collection at 75% off.

There aren't very many good RTS games these days. I disagree with Deserts of Kharak being any good, the campaign is about 7-9 hours long and that is about all you get at a $50 price.

Now if you're wanting to try a different style RTS, Homeworld Remastered is on sale for $17 on Steam. It is a space RTS with Z axis. There are no Hero units or any real base building. However you get 2 games about 20-30 hours of fantastic campaign and it has workshop support. My favorite being the Gundam mods, they're really well done. Modders are working on a Star Trek HD as well for it.

I'd say give that a try first on Steam, try it out and if you don't like it refund it before you spend 2 hours in it.

If you're looking for multiplayer, unfortunately Starcraft is your only bet in that regard. RTS is a dying genre.

thanks! ill check out all these. I really wish theyd just make a WC4 but i doubt thatll ever happen.
    It's like picking between two block's nacking your wife.- G nev

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently the RTS market seems to be pretty much abandoned, except for Starcraft 2. Are you sure you don't want to play it? It is somewhat similar to Warcraft 3, just without heroes and with more focus on macro and less on micro. 4v4 games are especially popular, and there are TONS of custom made maps which, in my opinion, put Warcraft 3 custom maps to shame. Have you played Legion TD map in WC3? Squadron TD in SC2 is basically better Legion TD. There is also Aeon of Storms, DotA-clone, very popular. Probes vs Zealot (remake of Trolls vs Elves), Nexus Wars (similar to Castle Fight), Hero Line Wars remake, Hero Siege TD remake, Lordaeron Wars... Plenty to play!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Has someone suggested Starcraft II? It's pretty good and you can play the arcade for free if you want to get a handle of the game first.

Pikmin 3 is kinda old (2013) and you need a Wii U, but it's still a blast.

Use the Wii remote and nunchuck combo to emulate a mouse experience, although you will be reaching for the Gamepad a lot because the features it gives are really helpful.

wolololo! you should try aoe 2, i recommend avoiding the steam hd version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clerigon View Post
    wolololo! you should try aoe 2, i recommend avoiding the steam hd version.
    Is there any online life in AOE 2 nowadays, beside the HD version? HD version lags tremendously, to the point of 4v4 games being absolutely unplayable - and 4v4 is the one I am interested in the most. I've heard people play on Voobly, but some say that the community there is very toxic...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Stellaris is pretty much a RTS title and you will most likely get at least 40h+ fun out of it, if not alot more.

The multiplayer is amazingly well done too. I had 0 disconnects, 0 desyncs and overall it's extremely easy to save/load sessions without any problems whatsoever. That was probably the biggest suprise.

After the 40h/first 2 playthroughs however, you'll notice that you can manipulate things/the AI to defeat them rather easily, even on the hardest difficulties. But hey, it's still alot of fun.

Stellaris is pretty much a RTS title and you will most likely get at least 40h+ fun out of it, if not alot more.
    Stellaris has nothing in common with the classic RTS gameplay of WC3. It's a SciFi 4X game, with the ability to change the speed of the game / pausing it while you're playing it, which basically makes it turnbased. The only thing that's lacking is the actual "next turn" button.

It's an awesome game though, I have 100 hours clocked so far, and I stopped playing it 2 weeks ago when Warhammer Total War was released (some of that is probably me just keeping the game minimized over night, but I still played the game a lot). Will obviously return to it once some of the performance issues and bugs have been fixed, and the DLCs start rolling.

As for actual RTS games, Ashes Of The Singularity was released some months ago. It's much slower and large-scale than WC3, but it's pretty fun. I can't think of any good "old school" RTS games coming out recently, but you could always go back to the classics like Age of Empires 2/3, Empire Earth 1/2, Cossacks series, Rise of Nations, Command and Conquer series, or the already mentioned Dawn of War or Battle For Middle Earth series.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2016-06-08 at 02:24 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    1 of the new things that is coming out soon is this: http://mentalomega.com/

Its a mod for red alert 2- yuris revenge.
    A lot of ppl still play the older version.

Ai vs Ai:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Stellaris has nothing in common with the classic RTS gameplay of WC3. It's a SciFi 4X game, with the ability to change the speed of the game / pausing it while you're playing it, which basically makes it turnbased. The only thing that's lacking is the actual "next turn" button.

It's an awesome game though, I have 100 hours clocked so far, and I stopped playing it 2 weeks ago when Warhammer Total War was released (some of that is probably me just keeping the game minimized over night, but I still played the game a lot). Will obviously return to it once some of the performance issues and bugs have been fixed, and the DLCs start rolling.

As for actual RTS games, Ashes Of The Singularity was released some months ago. It's much slower and large-scale than WC3, but it's pretty fun. I can't think of any good "old school" RTS games coming out recently, but you could always go back to the classics like Age of Empires 2/3, Empire Earth 1/2, Cossacks series, Rise of Nations, Command and Conquer series, or the already mentioned Dawn of War or Battle For Middle Earth series.

It's totally a RTS game, you can play starcraft on fast/slow too, where's the difference.
    Especially in multiplayer pausing is not really a thing in Stellaris. The game is very similiar to Sins of a Solar empire, which is an RTS title.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-06-08 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    That is like Frozen Throne? I think Dawn of War 1 is your best bet. Summer sale is coming up on steam, you may be able get the whole collection at 75% off.
    I'd second Dawn of War I if you're looking for something with WC3-esque multiplayer, definitely the closest I can think of anyway. No idea how healthy the playerbase is though. All the Dawn of War content is pretty good either way.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Personally preferred Total Annihilation over all of those mentioned. It's rather dated now though.

Not sure if you would include this in there but my all time favorite strategy series was Myth (technically called Real Time Tactic games)

Dawn of War 3 will be sick so that's the one im most looking forward to and we will see more on E3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Dawn of War 3 will be sick so that's the one im most looking forward to and we will see more on E3.
    As long as it takes more from Dawn of War 1 I'll be happy. The only thing I want them to take from DoW2 is the RPG elements. If it is like DoW1, day 1 buy, if its like DoW2, I'll wait for bargain bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    As long as it takes more from Dawn of War 1 I'll be happy. The only thing I want them to take from DoW2 is the RPG elements. If it is like DoW1, day 1 buy, if its like DoW2, I'll wait for bargain bin.
    They said they are going back to base building and bigger armys so there is hope i just want coop campaign to like dawn of war 2.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Is there any online life in AOE 2 nowadays, beside the HD version? HD version lags tremendously, to the point of 4v4 games being absolutely unplayable - and 4v4 is the one I am interested in the most. I've heard people play on Voobly, but some say that the community there is very toxic...

Is there any online game where some of the comunnity isnt toxic?

Deleted
    Supreme Commander:FA probably... but who knows. At least the higher ranked games seem to be rather quiet and I don't see alot of "muh, bomber rush noob" (whatever) stuff. Could be wrong though