Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 83 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Review of the MSI 1070 Gaming X. . Which should still be under NDA? So it might be gone any minute. Although it has been up for at least 1-2 hours already.
    So, this is likely to be the high-gaming card, rather than the 1080, which seems to be aimed at 4k usage? That sounds like it, given those results.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    So, this is likely to be the high-gaming card, rather than the 1080, which seems to be aimed at 4k usage? That sounds like it, given those results.
    Neither the 1070 or the 1080 can do maxed out 4k gaming at 60fps min. (not without dropping a few settings) the 1070 feels like a High fps 1080p or entry level 1440p card. Where the 1080 is High fps 1440p or entry level 4k card. The 1080ti or Vega is what you're looking at for 60fps min. 4k gaming, but we'll see i suppose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Neither the 1070 or the 1080 can do maxed out 4k gaming at 60fps min. (not without dropping a few settings) the 1070 feels like a High fps 1080p or entry level 1440p card. Where the 1080 is High fps 1440p or entry level 4k card. The 1080ti or Vega is what you're looking at for 60fps min. 4k gaming, but we'll see i suppose.
    I would not call the 1070 entry level, the 1070 will probably be the sweet spot regarding 1440p gaming or possibly a second hand 980ti or maybe a new one depending on the price.

I mean, I still game pretty good at 1440p with a 290x. The 480 might be entry level 1440p gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I would not call the 1070 entry level, the 1070 will probably be the sweet spot regarding 1440p gaming or possibly a second hand 980ti or maybe a new one depending on the price.

I mean, I still game pretty good at 1440p with a 290x. The 480 might be entry level 1440p gaming
    Well to be honest it will depend on the game, also games over the next year will become more demanding and maintaining 60fps min. at max settings will be increasingly difficult. So for now the 1070 looks like a good high frame rate 1440p card, but that will change in a year or so. When you buy a card like this you have to look at the performance over it's life span and what you want out of it.

Deleted
    TPU found something out, nothing really major but something to take in account.

MSI and ASUS have been sending us review samples for their graphics cards with higher clock speeds out of the box, than what consumers get out of the box. The cards TechPowerUp has been receiving run at a higher software-defined clock speed profile than what consumers get out of the box. Consumers have access to the higher clock speed profile, too, but only if they install a custom app by the companies, and enable that profile. This, we feel, is not 100% representative of retail cards, and is questionable tactics by the two companies. This BIOS tweaking could also open the door to more elaborate changes like a quieter fan profile or different power management.

MSI's factory-overclocked GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X graphics card comes with three software-defined clock-speed profiles, beginning with the "Gaming Mode," which is what the card runs at, out of the box, the faster "OC mode," and the slower "Silent mode," which runs the card at reference clock speeds. To select between the modes, you're expected to install the MSI Gaming software from the driver DVD, and use that software to apply clock speeds of your desired mode. Turns out, that while the retail cards (the cards you find in the stores) run in "Gaming mode" out of the box, the review samples MSI has been sending out, run at "OC mode" out of the box. If the OC mode is how the card is intended to be used, then why make OC mode the default for reviewers only, and not your own customers?

This is rather minor, as long as the consumers can hit these target clocks with software. This is reaching for a story.

This is rather minor, as long as the consumers can hit these target clocks with software. This is reaching for a story.
    Not really. Sites will end up ranking these cards differently than what reality will reflect. Not by much, but enough to differentiate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Controversy and more controversy, Nvidia and their tactics never disappoint.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    This isn't something from Nvidia. MSI started this, they also did it with AMD cards. Asus is doing it now as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    You're funny. Maybe you should learn how things work before you run your mouth.

I believe ASUS and MSI are the ones who sent out the custom cards, not Nvidia in this case, so blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Not really. Sites will end up ranking these cards differently than what reality will reflect. Not by much, but enough to differentiate it.
    Sorry, it's reaching, I'm doubting these auto enabled clocks are going to affect numbers too much if at all. Is it a little underhanded yea sure, but not a big deal. Gotta love the media.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-06-16 at 08:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What MSI and Asus did wasn't to make Nvidia look good, but their cards look good. This is a MSI/Asus issue, not Nvidia. Aim the blame in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, it's reaching, I'm doubting these auto enabled clocks are going to affect numbers too much if at all. Is it a little underhanded yea sure, but not a big deal. Gotta love the media.
    If the benchmark bar is higher for them than their competitors, it makes a difference on benchmark websites, and ultimately a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

If the benchmark bar is higher for them than their competitors, it makes a difference on benchmark websites, and ultimately a sale.
    No, because the clocks are just being auto enabled with out software via a bios change. Anyways most reviewers are manually OCing their cards anyhow and most Nvidia pascal cards aren't breaking the 2.1 ghz barrier so i doubt there's a big change of performance. The media is making a big deal out nothing.
    I'll just leave this as my two cents or opinion.

It's not reaching. And since you don't have a tangible argument why it doesn't I don't see why I should care for you thinking otherwise.

I thought that the 1070s and 1080s used NVIDIA's dynamic overclocking mechanism and would just OC themselves to whatever they could handle on their own and did not need profiles. That's what this review says anyway:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...ming_X/28.html
    The card uses NVIDIA's dynamic overclocking mechanism, GPU Boost 3.0. It will dynamically adjust clock and voltage based on render load, temperature, and other factors.
    But yeah, if only the cards sent to benchmarking sites do that and the consumer cards do not, that is an issue. However, I would suspect, that if you do not install the MSI or ASUS software and only use the drivers direct from NVIDIA, this would be the case. If you do install the third party software, perhaps it does default to gaming mode and not OC mode, though this particular review makes no mention of installing the MSI software at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because the clocks are just being auto enabled with out software via a bios change. Anyways most reviewers are manually OCing their cards anyhow and most Nvidia pascal cards aren't breaking the 2.1 ghz barrier so i doubt there's a big change of performance. The media is making a big deal out nothing.
    I'll just leave this as my two cents or opinion.
    In order to enable the bios change for a consumer you're required to download / install the manufacturer software. The point in terms of review is that even a miniscule amount, if it's let's say 100FPS vs 101FPS even with a minor change, on a benchmark 101 > 100 and shows at the top of the charts and that is still potentially better sale and advertising where as the normal user would not be getting that same clock rate.

The manual OC is not something that should be relied on. Review samples are cherry picked, many times you see review samples overclocking to 1500~ on maxwell despite that's more of the golden sample than the general silicon lottery where the more general consumer should only be expecting 1400-1450~

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    It's not reaching. And since you don't have a tangible argument why it doesn't I don't see why I should care for you thinking otherwise.
    Cool beans then stop arguing. I'm going to say it's reaching all day, while you say it's not. /salute the captain
    I've stated my opinion on this I'm not going further on this topic.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-06-16 at 10:13 PM.

Interesting. I have the msi gaming x 1080 on the way, i'll be checking the factory clocks asap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except this was done with AMD cards as well, so I guess AMD is just as shady then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Except this was done with AMD cards as well, so I guess AMD is just as shady then?
    They're obviously not saints but between the two Nvidia is clearly the tryhard company. AMD having access to the press only driver of the 1080 is suspicious to say the least for example, they're not press.