Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnantinos View Post
    I would duck natural from laughing. In a way it sounds like my mom when she nags at me.
    Thats the reason we used to make them swoop us by running near them (near enough for them to start swooping being within about 100m).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    I fucking hate plovers the bastards nest all over the field at my work place so if you walk outside they start doing their 'fuck off mate' dance with their wings up and barbs out while squawking at you.
    Bahahaha we get them in New Zealand too - noisy little fuckers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by m2geek View Post
    Bahahaha we get them in New Zealand too - noisy little fuckers.
    You guys are lucky over there though, only thing my Mum ever said she had to worry about as a kid was the Wetas.

Quote Originally Posted by Metuere View Post
    Only really get redbacks like that if the toilet is outside. You do have to be careful taking the bins out to the curb though, they like to hide in the hole on the bottom of the handle. And yeah, Huntsmans are bros.
    Well, shit, I'm Australian and I've not been paying attention to the compost bin handles.

Probably because I don't usually see red backs around my house, due to there being at least three blue-tongue lizards wingman-ing it up, eating most of our bugs. /salute

And yeah, magpies here are DICKS. One pecked my dad's neck during a party when I was 8, scared me for life, seeing him bleeding so much. Many years later I was around the same park, looking down a 10 metre cliff to see if the creek had any water, heard a pulsing, looked up and saw a magpie three feet away from my face, barreling straight down on me. SOMEHOW adrenaline kicked in and I managed to duck it, turn and run the hell away, ducking again on instinct just as it swooped over me again, then my brother hit it with a tennis ball and we stayed inside for the rest of the trip.

Also, any fellow Aussies ever heard a koala's night call? Jeez. Somehow I never heard it until last year, 25 years in this country without hearing them, then suddenly I hear this demonic noise just outside the window, like a cross between a lion growling and a donkey braying. Creeped me right out, almost as much as possums, which like to hiss in just the right way that it sounds like they're inside the room with you as opposed to outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f-BiI28YAk

Americans, imagine hearing that outside your window at 2 in the morning!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Well, shit, I'm Australian and I've not been paying attention to the compost bin handles.

Probably because I don't usually see red backs around my house, due to there being at least three blue-tongue lizards wingman-ing it up, eating most of our bugs. /salute

And yeah, magpies here are DICKS. One pecked my dad's neck during a party when I was 8, scared me for life, seeing him bleeding so much. Many years later I was around the same park, looking down a 10 metre cliff to see if the creek had any water, heard a pulsing, looked up and saw a magpie three feet away from my face, barreling straight down on me. SOMEHOW adrenaline kicked in and I managed to duck it, turn and run the hell away, ducking again on instinct just as it swooped over me again, then my brother hit it with a tennis ball and we stayed inside for the rest of the trip.

Also, any fellow Aussies ever heard a koala's night call? Jeez. Somehow I never heard it until last year, 25 years in this country without hearing them, then suddenly I hear this demonic noise just outside the window, like a cross between a lion growling and a donkey braying. Creeped me right out, almost as much as possums, which like to hiss in just the right way that it sounds like they're inside the room with you as opposed to outside.

Like I said before, I've got a few down in my backyard, hear them all the time. As much as I try to explain to foreigners that Koalas are so far from cute, they never listen.

Only really get redbacks like that if the toilet is outside. You do have to be careful taking the bins out to the curb though, they like to hide in the hole on the bottom of the handle. And yeah, Huntsmans are bros.
    Ah, is that their name, I forgot already. Thanks. I should stop by again sometime, Australia is the best place on Earth.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Ah, is that their name, I forgot already. Thanks. I should stop by again sometime, Australia is the best place on Earth.
    Yeah, they're good spiders. People here hate them even, but you can pretty much tell that your house is going to be clear of any other spiders if you've got a Huntsman around. That and Daddy Long Legs spiders are a good indication of no redbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post

It is okay man I would probably get a baseball bat, or wake up from my sleep swinging

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are lucky over there though, only thing my Mum ever said she had to worry about as a kid was the Wetas.
    Weta's are Nothing. Just a GIGANTIC Cricket basically... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_weta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta

I had a pet one as a kid LOL - Mr Pointy, cos of their spikes and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weta's are Nothing. Just a GIGANTIC Cricket basically... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_weta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta

I had a pet one as a kid LOL - Mr Pointy, cos of their spikes and such.
    Yeah, Mum said they're not dangerous or anything, but you'll definitely know if you've been bitten by one.

Yeah, they're good spiders. People here hate them even, but you can pretty much tell that your house is going to be clear of any other spiders if you've got a Huntsman around. That and Daddy Long Legs spiders are a good indication of no redbacks.
    You're giving me new respect for spiders.

I've been told they were a subclass of tarantulas and evolved into being so flat for all their hiding behind closets. I feel that may be a bullshit story I was fed, can you confirm?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in Aussie for most of last year, and I have to say that Red Back spiders are the most Aggressive spider i've ever had the displeasure to ever come across. The first time I saw one I nearly fainted too LOL (Big bugs I can do, but Spiders freak my shit out). The bastard followed me along the wall!

Also, Huntsman spiders are Freakin Huge! Especially when you sorta Surprise one and they're like "OHAI THERE *waves a leg at ya" (almost fainted at that too).

The hermit crabs in Pet Shops tickled me all the right ways, SO fucking cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're giving me new respect for spiders.

I've been told they were a subclass of tarantulas and evolved into being so flat for all their hiding behind closets. I feel that may be a bullshit story I was fed, can you confirm?
    If I confirmed or denied a story a fellow Aussie has told you it'd ruin the fun though.
    They are flat enough to fit pretty much anywhere though.

- - - Updated - - -

I was in Aussie for most of last year, and I have to say that Red Back spiders are the most Aggressive spider i've ever had the displeasure to ever come across. The first time I saw one I nearly fainted too LOL (Big bugs I can do, but Spiders freak my shit out). The bastard followed me along the wall!

Also, Huntsman spiders are Freakin Huge! Especially when you sorta Surprise one and they're like "OHAI THERE *waves a leg at ya" (almost fainted at that too).

The hermit crabs in Pet Shops tickled me all the right ways, SO fucking cool!
    Biggest Huntsman I've ever seen was almost the size of a dinner plate, was when it was all spread out like they do though. Was pretty cool. My mum didn't think it was very cool when I showed her though. haha

10+ Year Old Account
    If I confirmed or denied a story a fellow Aussie has told you it'd ruin the fun though.

- - - Updated - - -

Biggest Huntsman I've ever seen was almost the size of a dinner plate, was when it was all spread out like they do though. Was pretty cool. My mum didn't think it was very cool when I showed her though. haha

Yea this one was at least 15-cm across. I Shrieked as it was on the mesh security door when I opened the Actual door and it was at Face-level.

I MAY have set fire to it with a lighter and hairspray >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea this one was at least 15-cm across. I Shrieked as it was on the mesh security door when I opened the Actual door and it was at Face-level.

I MAY have set fire to it with a lighter and hairspray >.>
    That's generally the reaction people get.

I think this must be the biggest legit conspiracy I've personally encountered.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this must be the biggest legit conspiracy I've personally encountered.
    Only answer I'm obligated to give is a "could be".

Huntsmans are like natural bug control. Rarely aggressive and for the most part you scoop them up and flick them outside into the garden. Let them go hunt down all the nastier spiders and bugs. Similar with the daddy long legs. You usually leave them alone unless they start setting up inside stuff. If the do you many will bump them off. Not because of danger but their webs can get annoying.

As for aggressive spiders, we have worse than red backs - they tend to hang out by themselves unless you encounter one then they'll bite. For example, Sydney funnel-web are more aggressive and will have a stand off with you more than a red back will.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the Red-Backs I've had to deal with have been pretty chill, just... hanging in really unfortunate places, like my shoes.

Only answer I'm obligated to give is a "could be".
    Never change, Australia, you're our last hope of sanity when everything else goes to shits.