Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    This Turner kid, his father, and the judge are all disgusting human beings.

And OP, you say you aren't implying the victim is responsible, but that is exactly what you are doing. No one should have to prepare for rape. Ever.
    I am not implying the victim is responsible. I am saying you cannot control people who carry out these crimes. You can't change their urges, intentions, attitude, etc. How do you stop men like Brock Turner? How do you know he is the type of person that would rape a woman? You don't. It's a sad thing to happen to this poor girl. But do you think this would of happened if she had a "buddy system" with her sister or didn't drink as much? Maybe, maybe not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Yes, death penalty should be a thing for serious crimes. And lol, "femitard"? I'm not a feminist. I'm someone who hates criminals.
    Look up what death penalty and mandatory minimum sentencing has done for the US, also look up their recitivism rates.

But apparently you are going full sharia. So where do we start the handcutting?

Mods - Infracting shouldn´t remove ½ a post. Despite your puke inducing PC nature.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Look up what death penalty and mandatory minimum sentencing has done for the US, also look up their recitivism rates.

But apparently you are going full sharia. So where do we start the handcutting?

Mods - Infracting shouldn´t remove ½ a post. Despite your puke inducing PC nature.
    Recidivism rates aren't particularly good in Sweden either with people sentenced to prison, you know, despite our lenient sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is just a garbage post in pretty much every way. It doesn't even warrant a response. Next time try participating honestly, rather than with the equivalent of a "when did you stop beating your wife" question. There are no "kangaroo courts", and Clinton never did anything of the sort. You can't just make up bullshit and expect it to fly.

You're trying to derail a thread about a rape conviction into an argument about university administration and the Clintons. I'm not going to entertain this nonsense any further.
    he was accused and only evidence there was was the she said he said and according the universities kangaroo courts that is all that is required the word of the accuser when all other evidence is absent

Rape needs to be punished much more seriously, with better ways for women to come forward immediately.

(But there also need to be some serious punishment for crying wolf when it can be proven.)

Yes, death penalty should be a thing for serious crimes. And lol, "femitard"? I'm not a feminist. I'm someone who hates criminals.
    Rape is not even close to the equivalent of murder, I'd argue I'd rather have rapists around than involuntary manslaughterers. Even the 10 years you pointed out a few posts back seems extreme, could you find an example of another crime you'd advocate 10 years on your first offense for that isn't rape? For most people we're literally talking throwing a hand grenade and blowing someone's arm off without killing them for the 10 years, and even if you did kill them not likely getting the death penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cam5778 View Post
    I am not implying the victim is responsible. I am saying you cannot control people who carry out these crimes. You can't change their urges, intentions, attitude, etc. How do you stop men like Brock Turner? How do you know he is the type of person that would rape a woman? You don't. It's a sad thing to happen to this poor girl. But do you think this would of happened if she had a "buddy system" with her sister or didn't drink as much? Maybe, maybe not.
    It's hard to truly prepare for sexual assaults. Sure you can not drink till you black out or not go to parties alone but rape can happen anywhere and anytime. Most rapes (US) I believe happen in the home with someone close to you like friend/family and not with strangers. But it isn't terrible advise to tell people to be careful before they go out partying. Even as a huge man I still take precautions to not go out alone and if I do I def won't drink until I black out. At least if I black out around my friends all they'll do is draw penises on my face

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not implying the victim is responsible. I am saying you cannot control people who carry out these crimes. You can't change their urges, intentions, attitude, etc. How do you stop men like Brock Turner?
    You put them behind bars and punish them severely enough that they rethink ever doing the same thing ever again.

How do you know he is the type of person that would rape a woman? You don't. It's a sad thing to happen to this poor girl. But do you think this would of happened if she had a "buddy system" with her sister or didn't drink as much? Maybe, maybe not.
    Yeah, you're victim-blaming. A madman could kick down my door and shoot me. That doesn't mean I should be "prepared" for that to happen at any moment. It's an extreme outlier, as is rape.

Vandeburg the boyfriend of the rape victim is going down in flames.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Rape is not even close to the equivalent of murder, I'd argue I'd rather have rapists around than involuntary manslaughterers. Even the 10 years you pointed out a few posts back seems extreme, could you find an example of another crime you'd advocate 10 years on your first offense for that isn't rape? For most people we're literally talking throwing a hand grenade and blowing someone's arm off without killing them for the 10 years, and even if you did kill them not likely getting the death penalty.
    Aggrevated assault, kidnapping, robbery with a knife/gun, causing permanent bodily injury that results in loss of limbs and so forth.

The judge is an idiot. Prison negatively impacts everyone, why is he so special? A laughable sentence for 3 convictions.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2016-06-08 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    I'm wondering what people think the sentence for what seems to be a non violent rape should be, I would hope most would agree that the "Kidnapping a midnight jogger and raping her at gunpoint" probably deserves the MOST severe sentence, this would seem to be as far on the other end of the spectrum as possible. Not defending what appears very clearly to be a rapist here, but we are talking about the punishment, not the crime itself (which derives the punishment). A 1-2 year sentence would seem to be more than enough in this case, we happened upon the one that tests the limit of how short it should be.

Though to advocate from the other side a little bit, rape is one of those crimes with an extremely low rate of charging or conviction because its so hard to prosecute, the evidence rarely exists in any substantial form, and in that way the witnesses to this case are not ordinary. In the Old West, stealing a horse was punishable by death because it was such an easy crime to get away with.
    Per CA state law, PC 289(d) Any person who commits an act of sexual penetration, and the
    victim is at the time unconscious of the nature of the act and this
    is known to the person committing the act or causing the act to be
    committed, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for
    three, six, or eight years.

First offender, clear history, etc should be at least 3 years in the pen.

From what I heard, he carried her behind a dumpster, to conceal her so he could carry out the crime and reduce chances of being caught, etc . Technically, if the DA wanted to argue it, that qualifies as kidnapping in CA. They could have tried charging him under PC 209 (kidnapping to commit a sex assault) and that carries a life imprisonment sentence.

Deleted
    Recidivism rates aren't particularly good in Sweden either with people sentenced to prison, you know, despite our lenient sentences.
    Sweden is not a good example. And you know why.

Deleted
    Sweden is not a good example. And you know why.
    No, I don't know why. There's a 65% recidivism rate despite our lenient sentences and them working towards rehabilitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You put them behind bars and punish them severely enough that they rethink ever doing the same thing ever again.

Yeah, you're victim-blaming. A madman could kick down my door and shoot me. That doesn't mean I should be "prepared" for that to happen at any moment. It's an extreme outlier, as is rape.
    But locking your door makes it much harder for you to be a victim than an unlocked door.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Anyone else been following this case? I think jail time isn't going to matter. This kid's life is over, as it should be. He has lost his scholarship and all his hard work with his success in swim competition. Worse, he is now a registered sex offender, which means he's screwed in the job market and where he can live. I wonder if people consider jail time for this kid is just as bad as his reality outside of jail.

Not to say it's the victim's fault, but it should be hard lesson for girl's these days to be prepared. We can't control the people who carry out these crimes, but this definitely could have been prevented. In this poor girl's case, she was 3 times passed the legal limit. When I was in college (2 years ago), I had a lot of friends that were women. I never cockblocked them, but I could tell when guys were getting too close. I would wrap my arm around one of them and it would be an instant end from there.

To me, college rape cases shouldn't happen if people were smart about going out and partying. Again, I'm not implying the victim is responsible and had it coming, but if she was prepared, it might have not happened. Maybe we need to grow out of the idea "it can't happen to me."
    I'm more disgusted with the father's letter to the court. He should be the one going to jail for condoning the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    "Kidnapping a midnight jogger and raping her at gunpoint" includes several felonies, all of which would impact sentencing. Before you even get to charges of rape and sexual assault, of which there could be several individual charges depending on what the assailant did to the victim, you have (a) aggravated kidnapping, (b) false imprisonment, (c) assault, (d) assault with a deadly weapon, and (e) use or threatening display of a firearm in the commission of a felony. And the assailant can be charged with multiple counts of these felonies depending upon how the events of the crime unfolded.

And again, this is before you even get to sexual assault and/or rape charges. In California, where Stanford University is located, aggravated kidnapping alone carries a minimum sentence of five years. Throw in multiple assault, ADW and rape/sexual assault convictions and a person is looking at decades in prison.

The point of all this is that a person who "kidnaps a midnight jogger and rapes her at gunpoint" isn't just going to jail for the crime of rape. And that, actually, the crime of rape is not going to constitute the bulk of the charges that create his sentence.

Turner was found guilty of three charges: (1) assault with attempt to rape, (2) sexual penetration of an intoxicated person with a foreign object, and (3) sexual penetration of an unconscious person with a foreign object. The question is whether or not six months in the county lockup, three years of probation, and mandatory participation in a sex offender rehabilitation program is an appropriate sentence for those crimes.
    So based on what he was found guilty of, should be 1 + (3, 6 or 8) + (3, 6, 8) so 7 years on the low end, 17 on the high.

Deleted
    No, I don't know why. There's a 65% recidivism rate despite our lenient sentences and them working towards rehabilitation.
    Swedens police hiding crimes
    Swedens cuckold attitude towards immigrants
    Swedish policy being pants on head retarded
    Swedens rape stats are fucking bogus
    Swedish stats are useless

Deleted
    Swedens police hiding crimes
    Swedens cuckold attitude towards immigrants
    Swedish policy being pants on head retarded
    Swedens rape stats are fucking bogus
    Swedish stats are useless
    I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact that criminals sentenced to prison has a recidivism rate of 65%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Give the boy 20 years for 20 minutes, and the father 10 for apologizing and harboring a felon. Problem solved. Should teach them both.
    Then give the girl 5 for public intoxication.