Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, just someone who respects firearms for the weapons that they are, and knows that a toddler has no business handling them.
    Just curious, not that I disagree, what you personally feel is the appropriate age?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Spoken like a person who is afraid of firearms and wanting everyone else to be as well.
    Look at his location. We have different laws in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Just curious, not that I disagree, what you personally feel is the appropriate age?
    Depends on the type of weapon we're talking; lower-grade BB guns are probably fine by age 10 or so. Actual firearms, they can get a minor's license as early as 12, with completion of mandatory safety courses.

Depends on the type of weapon we're talking; lower-grade BB guns are probably fine by age 10 or so. Actual firearms, they can get a minor's license as early as 12, with completion of mandatory safety courses.
    So in Canada someone under 12 cannot handle a firearm even under the supervision of an adult?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not Endus, but I think our current federal regulations on age is pretty appropriate.

A minor aged 12 - 17 can apply for a Minors' License which has more limitations than a license granted to people 18+. Exceptions are made for people under 12 if they can prove that they need it to sustain their lives. (e.g., inuit family living in the tundra might have kids 12 or under helping to hunt)

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i...ic-per-eng.htm
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

No, just someone who respects firearms for the weapons that they are, and knows that a toddler has no business handling them.
    Thankfully we're talking about a BB gun, which isn't anything a self-respecting person would call a "firearm" even if it wasn't broken AF like the one in the photo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Letting your toddler handle a loaded BB gun would be negligent. Same if it was a kitchen knife. Doesn't matter if it's not meant to be a fatal weapon.

I didn't make a blanket statement. I said "if it was functional". That's clearly a condition.

I'll grant that IF they can demonstrate that they checked to make sure it was unloaded first, then that would be fine as well, but that's hardly something I excluded.
    I would disagree. But I don't want to squabble over details.

I've got no issues if the weapon is in working order as long as it's unloaded. My boys have held my rifles whilst they are unloaded. I personally see nothing wrong with it. I want them familiar with the weapons. It's when they are a mystery that kids seem more infatuated with playing with them.

I'm sure I'm in the minority with my mindset on this. Oh well.

I hope your day is good so far!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I would disagree. But I don't want to squabble over details.

I've got no issues if the weapon is in working order as long as it's unloaded. My boys have held my rifles whilst they are unloaded. I personally see nothing wrong with it. I want them familiar with the weapons. It's when they are a mystery that kids seem more infatuated with playing with them.

I'm sure I'm in the minority with my mindset on this. Oh well.

I hope your day is good so far!
    Different countries though. Firearms aren't a right in Canada. It's much more likely for a kid to come across a firearm in the US than it is in Canada where the possession, operation, and storage is highly regulated.

So in Canada someone under 12 cannot handle a firearm even under the supervision of an adult?
    Yup. And with the rather low bar of 4.2 ft-lbs to be considered a firearm, LOTS of things some people a consider toy are very much not for children to touch in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Thankfully we're talking about a BB gun, which isn't anything a self-respecting person would call a "firearm" even if it wasn't broken AF like the one in the photo.
    The pictures aren't that good, there's nothing about it that looks immediately nonfunctional, just fairly old.
    Last edited by Cayse; 2016-06-08 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the RCMP's page on it; http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...mineur-eng.htm

To get a minor's license, you need to be at least 12, pass mandatory safety training courses, and it's only valid for certain uses. If you're under 12, you additionally need the CFO's express permission, and that will ONLY be granted if you need to hunt to sustain your family; in practice, that's only granted for people living deep in the wilderness or the like. It's not "want to hunt to supplement your family's food", or whatever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Spoken like a person who is afraid of firearms and wanting everyone else to be as well.
    you don't need to be afraid of firearms to be worried when a 2 year old is handling one. like you don't need to be afraid of kitchen knife to be worried when a 2 year old has one in their hands

You can't drive a car without a license, insurance, registration, or training (driving courses), and there's a 3 year waiting period before you can graduate from a learners license, to a probationary licence, to a drivers license ... and that's just for a vehicle. Minimum age is 16.

I don't think its unreasonable to have sufficient waiting periods, insurance, registration, and training for firearms. I feel like an appropriate age would be 18 with a 2 year training period starting at 16.

That's just my opinion.

Here's the RCMP's page on it; http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...mineur-eng.htm

To get a minor's license, you need to be at least 12, pass mandatory safety training courses, and it's only valid for certain uses. If you're under 12, you additionally need the CFO's express permission, and that will ONLY be granted if you need to hunt to sustain your family; in practice, that's only granted for people living deep in the wilderness or the like. It's not "want to hunt to supplement your family's food", or whatever.
    Well that sucks. But whatever, different country, different rules.

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    You can't drive a car without a license, insurance, registration, or training (driving courses), and there's a 3 year waiting period before you can graduate from a learners license, to a probationary licence, to a drivers license ... and that's just for a vehicle. Minimum age is 16.

I don't think its unreasonable to have sufficient waiting periods, insurance, registration, and training for firearms. I feel like an appropriate age would be 18 with a 2 year training period starting at 16.

That's just my opinion.
    Not true for our country. On private property you can drive a vehicle under 16 in the USA. It is actually quite common on farms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    There is evidence that there is a toddler handling a potentially deadly weapon. That is more than enough evidence to warrant an investigation.
    Totally disagree as there is evidence he was supervised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different countries though. Firearms aren't a right in Canada. It's much more likely for a kid to come across a firearm in the US than it is in Canada where the possession, operation, and storage is highly regulated.
    Sure I fully understand that. I was referring more to the American folk we have here.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

That's just my opinion.
    Where are you in Canada where it's 3 years to get your full driving license?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you are incapable of properly supervising a toddler does not mean others are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you are incapable of properly supervising a toddler does not mean others are not.
    Part of "properly supervising a toddler" includes "not letting them play with items they could hurt themselves or others with". I wouldn't let a toddler play with a kitchen knife or a chainsaw, either. That doesn't mean I'm afraid of either, I just recognize that a toddler's too young to be careful enough with them.

Not true for our country. On private property you can drive a vehicle under 16 in the USA. It is actually quite common on farms.
    Look at my location

- - - Updated - - -

Where are you in Canada where it's 3 years to get your full driving license?
    Alberta

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ddriverlic.pdf

From learners to fully licensed its a minimum of 3 years, 4 years if you're 14 when you get your learners.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Totally disagree as there is evidence he was supervised.
    What's there to disagree with?

There is evidence that there is a toddler handling a potentially deadly weapon.
    Photo evidence of that in OP.

That is more than enough evidence to warrant an investigation.
    The Firearms Act and Criminal Code of Canada says that unless he's licensed he shouldn't be handling a firearm.

Is this kid 12? If not he has no license.

Is this a firearm? Could be considered one. Hence the investigation.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at my location

- - - Updated - - -

Alberta

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ddriverlic.pdf

From learners to fully licensed its a minimum of 3 years, 4 years if you're 14 when you get your learners.
    That sucks lol. It's minimum year and a half in Ontario but that's only if you take a certified Drivers Education program.