Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    we should ban kids from getting hurt. 1 year prison sentence minimum for any kid that scrapes a knee or hurts an arm or leg on the playground.

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    Look at my location
    Yea sorry, kind of caught that after the fact. lol

You'll shoot your eye out.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    we should ban kids from getting hurt. 1 year prison sentence minimum for any kid that scrapes a knee or hurts an arm or leg on the playground.
    Or, you know, we could probably draw the line at deadly weapons and potential firearms.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    Made me instantly think of this lol

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If the gun's functional, it's negligence. And there's really no way to tell whether or not it's functional from the image. So . . .
    How is it negligence to have a child hold a bb gun? explain the how and why to me.
    If the child is unattended sure, but the parent took the picture and is there to supervise.
    So I just don't see it. Like other than in some super leftist butthurt world, (and I don't rep the right, more middle of the road), I find your decry of negligence to be false given current laws.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    How is it negligence to have a child hold a bb gun? explain the how and why to me.
    If the child is unattended sure, but the parent took the picture and is there to supervise.
    So I just don't see it. Like other than in some super leftist butthurt world, (and I don't rep the right, more middle of the road), I find your decry of negligence to be false given current laws.
    Well, I think their argument is based on their country. If that is the case, the law is what the law is. If the Canadian people are OK with said laws, then their country their rules.

Obviously here in the USA, things are a bit different.

Some of my fondest experiences with my daughter (who is under 10) was going out to some farmland and shooting all manner of firearms.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could very well be breaking current laws if that BB gun is considered a firearm. Which it very well may be. No body is yelling for their arrest, only supporting an investigation.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    I think whiny crazies went sick over it because of stupid social media so the rcmp had a bunch of complaints and became obligated to investigate.
    The RCMP are not obligated to do anything if there is no risk of injury or death.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The RCMP are not obligated to do anything if there is no risk of injury or death.
    They are obligated to investigate if there is potential for that bb gun to be classified as a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    I used to take my Big Wheel to the top of our hill and ride down it with out any shoes on.....I just had to let gravity and friction decide when I stopped.
    We used to ride big wheels down the hill of a street power braking and doing 360 spins, we were also like 15 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    That sucks lol. It's minimum year and a half in Ontario but that's only if you take a certified Drivers Education program.
    It does, but I still think my point remains. If it takes training, education, insurance, registration, etc to operate a vehicle which is used for transportation, I feel like similar prerequisites and restrictions should apply to firearms.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    It does, but I still think my point remains. If it takes training, education, insurance, registration, etc to operate a vehicle which is used for transportation, I feel like similar prerequisites and restrictions should apply to firearms.
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with your point. I just disagree with Albert'a licensing system. ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    you don't need to be afraid of firearms to be worried when a 2 year old is handling one. like you don't need to be afraid of kitchen knife to be worried when a 2 year old has one in their hands
    A kitchen knife is far more dangerous to handle than a BB gun unless the BB gun is functional, loaded, pressurized, and the safety is defeated, and even then it is questionable how much more or less dangerous it is than a knife.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Part of "properly supervising a toddler" includes "not letting them play with items they could hurt themselves or others with". I wouldn't let a toddler play with a kitchen knife or a chainsaw, either. That doesn't mean I'm afraid of either, I just recognize that a toddler's too young to be careful enough with them.
    And the toddler was playing with it, how?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    A kitchen knife is far more dangerous to handle than a BB gun unless the BB gun is functional, loaded, pressurized, and the safety is defeated, and even then it is questionable how much more or less dangerous it is than a knife.
    Hence the investigation.

Was it operational?
    Was it loaded?
    Is it classified as a firearm?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    If functioning properly that type should take about 10 pumps and it could then kill a cat, raccoon, or other similar sized animals.
    I was obviously exaggerating with the pumps required but not so much with the power behind it. I wish my old Crosman pump had that kind of power though. A Squirrel, sure, but anything larger than a game bird such as a Partridge or small Pheasant meant you were more likely to piss it off even with good accuracy which is exactly what happened when I tried to use it on a Raccoon before I knew how tough they are and this was even with a pointed pellet which these types of air rifles can fire as well.

For medium animals such as Porcupine, Rabbits, and Raccoons we would step up to the trusty 410 but I still think these pump units are garbage though. Give me a Marksman break barrel or even a cheap lever action Daisy with the plastic stock any day... well... any day back then. Now I just yell at them...
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    All things that are hard to tell from a photo, that's why they investigate.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a weapon. They could hurt themselves. This is really not complicated. Same would apply if it were a power tool or a kitchen knife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    What's there to disagree with?

Photo evidence of that in OP.

The Firearms Act and Criminal Code of Canada says that unless he's licensed he shouldn't be handling a firearm.

Is this kid 12? If not he has no license.

Is this a firearm? Could be considered one. Hence the investigation.

- - - Updated - - -

That sucks lol. It's minimum year and a half in Ontario but that's only if you take a certified Drivers Education program.

Criminal Code 91(4) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to

(a)a person who possesses a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition while the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of a person who may lawfully possess it, for the purpose of using it in a manner in which the supervising person may lawfully use it.

Thus under Canadian law the toddler can legally handle said BB gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    All things that are hard to tell from a photo, that's why they investigate.
    He is also not pointing it at himself.

Unless you're seeing way more pictures, there's no way to tell who is there with the kid, or what the gun actually is.

Again, that is why the RCMP went out to investigate. That is what investigate means.