Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    BMI was never intended to be a measurement of weight or fitness.... it was just a census tool.

More here > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106268439
    Cool beans. It does not matter as 99.99% of women classified as "obese" by BMI standards are actually obese. Use any other tool for measuring weight/bodyfat and these same women will be considered obese by that metric.

Skinfold calipers are $10, accessible to almost anyone if you want something cheap and "more accurate".

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Because it isn't the 1800's and we're not in Belgium?
    Neither of those points affect the validity of BMI scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Fable View Post
    O woman covet and praise a healthy body like no other. It is just the general way things seem to be going. Fat acceptance is honestly a horrible thing to support these people are killing themselves...
    Let's protest fat acceptance by gorging on McDonald's!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's obese for women. Unless they're professional bodybuilders taking a lot of steroids.

BMI is not as inaccurate as many people make it out to be, unless you have a lot of muscle mass.
    Well, strictly from statistical perspective, I cannot agree with that. People use the argument that "BMI is correct in average", and even if that is true (which is doubtful; I definitely don't see 40% women to be obese in real life), it does not make it a decent scale. Not to mention that even geometrically it is wrong: it relates body mass to the square of body height, while geometrically should be cube of that rather than square. I frankly do not understand why people use such a simple out of the sky formula, expecting to get results having anything to do with reality.

Yes, probably most women with BMI above 30 are obese. However, it differs significantly from the claim in the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I'm really curious as to what you look like, I always imagine a midget she-hulk.
    I'm looking for some pictures. I don't really do the selfie thing because I think I kind of have a derpy face when I take pictures of myself for some reason. I guess to approximate, I look like some of the more muscular/stocky women who compete in crossfit, even though I'm not a participant at all, just an athlete that works in a similar way. Googling around, I look kind of like Annie Sakamoto, who is an inch taller, and 5-10 lbs lighter, mostly because i have a bit wider hips and shoulders, from guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Well, strictly from statistical perspective, I cannot agree with that. People use the argument that "BMI is correct in average", and even if that is true (which is doubtful; I definitely don't see 40% women to be obese in real life), it does not make it a decent scale. Not to mention that even geometrically it is wrong: it relates body mass to the square of body height, while geometrically should be cube of that rather than square. I frankly do not understand why people use such a simple out of the sky formula, expecting to get results having anything to do with reality.

Yes, probably most women with BMI above 30 are obese. However, it differs significantly from the claim in the title.
    40% women? Are you referring to 40% bodyfat? Because that is pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Thought Tennisball was unbanned when I saw this thread - now THAT would be pretty alarming.
    There was no angry face and much less when it comes to US or Canada he/she would probably say it's their right to be fat and calling the writer a bigot for making that article. Plus I don't even think he/she reads anything other than like Huffington Post and Canadian leftist media.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I wonder how much changing the ease of access that people have to sugary drinks would alter these numbers. Anywhere I go I can find sugary drinks as cheap or cheaper then water, and I've mentioned on here in the past, at my son's school barely any kids claim to drink water but nearly all drink multiple soft drinks a day. If the kids are doing that I'm fairly doubtful the parents are chugging water at home, and my work place has plenty of overweight people who chug their soft drinks down.

I'm sure getting less exercise isn't helping anyone keep the weight off, but I know more then a few who think a 2-liter a day isn't much, even though it is 800+ calories of liquid candy.

I think he means 40% of the population of women (ie 4 out of 10).

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I look at it like I do tech support, but the opposite. In tech support, you only hear from people who are unhappy. You don't hear from people who just want to call in and say how much they like you.

Those fit women on Instagram are happy, and want to show it to the world. They work hard to look the way they do, and they want to flaunt it. While those who are unhappy with the way the look, will only have head shots, or head + cleavage. These types of people will only show you what they think looks good, and hide the parts they are ashamed of.
    A former friend dated a fat girl who couldn't take selfies without her mouth wide open for a taco or burger. I don't know why they think that pose is attractive.

10+ Year Old Account

[IMG]http://image.slidesharecdn.com/health-seminar-final-111017161900-phpapp01/95/health-seminarfinal-5-728.jpg?cb=1318868591[IMG]
    No, I meant the claim in the title that 40% women are obese (4 out of 10) in the US. I definitely don't see it; I don't see even 10% to be obese. 5% - maybe... Maybe I just live in an area that isn't representative, who knows. People here seem to be in a good shape, for the most part; lots of people going to gym and jogging.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    No, I meant the claim in the title that 40% women are obese (4 out of 10) in the US. I definitely don't see it; I don't see even 10% to be obese. 5% - maybe... Maybe I just live in an area that isn't representative, who knows. People here seem to be in a good shape, for the most part; lots of people going to gym and jogging.
    Yeah depending on the area it's more or less noticeable, also the obese tend to be home-bound more.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just checked my BMI and apparently I'm normal now (21.5). I thought I lost too much weight (unintentionally) going from 220 down to 170 and now back to 177. I wasn't trying to lose the weight, but cancer is a bitch. My goal was to get back up to about 190, but maybe I'll stay where I'm at if that's a normal BMI. I am eating much healthier now (in general). I also walk just about every day as far as I feel I can handle. Once I recover from my surgeries, I'll be able to do a bit more exercising as well.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I wonder how much changing the ease of access that people have to sugary drinks would alter these numbers. Anywhere I go I can find sugary drinks as cheap or cheaper then water, and I've mentioned on here in the past, at my son's school barely any kids claim to drink water but nearly all drink multiple soft drinks a day. If the kids are doing that I'm fairly doubtful the parents are chugging water at home, and my work place has plenty of overweight people who chug their soft drinks down.

I'm sure getting less exercise isn't helping anyone keep the weight off, but I know more then a few who think a 2-liter a day isn't much, even though it is 800+ calories of liquid candy.
    Starbucks is really bad, too. Actually I think they're worse in some ways, as the bitterness of the coffee/espresso can mask the taste of the sugar. And some of those Frappuccinos are around 1000 calories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I just checked my BMI and apparently I'm normal now (21.5). I thought I lost too much weight (unintentionally) going from 220 down to 170 and now back to 177. I wasn't trying to lose the weight, but cancer is a bitch. My goal was to get back up to about 190, but maybe I'll stay where I'm at if that's a normal BMI. I am eating much healthier now (in general). I also walk just about every day as far as I feel I can handle. Once I recover from my surgeries, I'll be able to do a bit more exercising as well.
    Good luck, Aoyi.

15+ Year Old Account
    Starbucks is really bad, too. Actually I think they're worse in some ways, as the bitterness of the coffee/espresso can mask the taste of the sugar. And some of those Frappuccinos are around 1000 calories.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck, Aoyi.
    Thanks! ������

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You eat once a day, and the rest is water and coffee?

Hey, if it works for you, keep on keepin on. But it doesn't sound all that healthy to me.
    Ok, I'll bite: What is not healthy about it? And healthy is a pretty ominous Term do begin with. Fasting actually increases insulin sensitivity, reduces carb resistance, increases autophagy, lowers systemic inflammation etc. The more Time the Gut has to fully digest the food, the better. Constantly putting in Food is pretty much pro inflammatory.

Check out some sources: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ (A Blog of a Doctor specializing in treating Obesity and Diabetes with IF)
    leangains.com - Bodybuilding and fasting do work very well together.

/r/ketogains - I combine it with a LCHF Diet, based on real, organic food: I don't consume processed Food at all. I only buy fresh meat from local farmer markets, seasonal vegetables, wild caught fatty fish. Hardly eat fruit and other starches.

Deleted
    at my son's school barely any kids claim to drink water but nearly all drink multiple soft drinks a day.
    Such a shame. Schools should simply NOT be selling soft drinks, give out free water, free fresh fruit once day or few days, and inform parents that the school does not tolerate soft drinks.

It's simple, it all starts at home, but a school should just 'enforce' it.

Sometimes I find it hilarious with the anti smoking, drinking, soft/hard drugs blablabla. And all that wile chugging down a 2L Coca Cola bottle and getting a new one.

The more Time the Gut has to fully digest the food, the better. Constantly putting in Food is pretty much pro inflammatory.
    Problem is, if you only eat once a day, your body will 'hold' that food a lot longer as a safety measure and you will actually gain weight instead of losing weight after a while.
    Last edited by mmoc7722091d43; 2016-06-09 at 08:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Problem is, if you only eat once a day, your body will 'hold' that food a lot longer as a safety measure and you will actually gain weight instead of losing weight after a while.
    Complete myth disproven in several studies

Starvation mode doesn't occur even in a few days, let alone within a day, there is no metabolic slowdown from skipping meals at all

The first thing to slow down from intermittent fasting is appetite, making it easier to eat less and achieve satiety

Intermittent fasting is probably the easiest way to lose weight for most people, whether it's making a short eating window within a day every day, or something like a 5 days eating 2 days fast per week, the result is the same: appetite suppression and calorie restriction

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    This is so disgusting.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.