Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Because it's been studied?
    Putting some Spids Nøgenhat on the vinyl, taking a blanket to my headdemock. Be back tomorrow. CHILL WINSTON

Only 300k votes needed to reach 1 million. It already has to be addresed by the current administration because it reached 100k.

https://www.change.org/p/california-...e-aaron-persky
    Last edited by muto; 2016-06-08 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    I did follow this case and it was particularly disgusting. The facts are extremely clear that he is guilty, yet they fought tooth and nail, assassinating the victim's character and making callous statements describing a sexual assault as "20 minutes of action" while lamenting how it has ruined the poor rapist's life. Just really appalling stuff.

While I 100% agree that leniency is absolutely ludicrous in light of the utter lack of remorse or admission of wrong-doing, his life is more or less trashed no matter how long he goes to jail. It's still ridiculous to make any kind of argument for leniency here and the way the media masturbated over his swimming as if that was relevant was low even by their standards. Somewhere in the victim's statement when this was over, she asked why her extracurricular activities weren't reported on. A valid question and point well-made.

The victim blaming in this thread is equally disgusting. No, obviously the victim should not have drank too much. But it should be equally as obvious that drinking too much doesn't mean you give consent for everyone to digitally rape your unconscious body behind a dumpster. This is about as straight-forward as it gets. There's a reason he got 3 unanimous guilty verdicts from a jury of 12 of his peers...
    the only person to say "20minutes of action" is the father. not the defendant nor the defendants lawyer. are you biased in this matter that you would make things up to suit your recollections of said events?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Isn´t that the best sex?

The only thing on your mind upon seeing a helpless drunk girl should be "how can I help"... Not "How can I finger her behind a dumpster and blame it on alcohol" Guess we Danes are to used to dealing with drunk people
    lmao or your shit dont make it to the news/investigation part. i think we all know better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Maybe they shouldn't have to, but if I ever have a daughter, I'll certainly be explaining to her that if she's thinking she might get very drunk, she should always have good friends, people she trusts, with her to help protect her from bad situations. I'll also teach her how to lower her risks in other situations.

You shouldn't have to prepare for these risks, but you should still prepare for these risks.
    On top of that you should maybe teach her not to get drunk at all? Lots of bad things happen when one is drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    On top of that you should maybe teach her not to get drunk at all? Lots of bad things happen when one is drunk...
    It'd be hypocritical of me to do so. I enjoy occasionally getting my drunk on. Every once in a while, it's healthy to cut loose a bit, so long as you're with people you can trust.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Party chick gets drunk and passes out behind a dumpster, ruins top student's life. Sounds fair. No wonder the outrage.
    Last edited by ramjb; 2016-06-08 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It'd be hypocritical of me to do so. I enjoy occasionally getting my drunk on. Every once in a while, it's healthy to cut loose a bit, so long as you're with people you can trust.
    No one says you can't drink, but why do you have to drink to the point of getting drunk?

10+ Year Old Account
    No one says you can't drink, but why do you have to drink to the point of getting drunk?
    Cause being drunk is fun for some people?

Rape is not only just about inflicting life long damage to the girl/woman.
    It also speaks of the personality and character of the offender.

Anyone that can commit such brutal rape is a psychopath.
    Someone who is extremely likely to commit more atrocities in his life simply because he does not care about anyone but himself.

He wanted to stick his wood into that girl, and did not care a single bit about the life long damage inflicted to her.
    He shows ZERO remorse for his actions, in fact he wants to be out as soon as possible so he can continue "getting some action" on more people.

Honestly he should be sterilized/neutered, both to make sure he can't reproduce his vile genes and to reduce the chance of further "getting some action" on victims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Cause being drunk is fun for some people?
    Okay...if people want to roll the dice I don't see them having much right of complaining if things go wrong. Not saying this is all the victims fault, but maybe if the girl wasn't piss drunk she could of resisted or yelled for help...

So fun fact, I actually went to school with this kid. He graduated a year after I did but I know the kind of community he grew up in. Now as a preface, I didn't personally know him but it was a small school (under 500 students between 8-12 grades) so I definitely heard about the stuff he did at the school and saw him around a lot.

There was an article posted (I'll see if I can link it) that he made a statement that he grew up with zero interaction with drugs and alcohol around him, which is laughably incorrect. He was basically a rich white kid within the popular, jock crowd that went to their rich parents homes to drink and such during that time. Yeah, he did great in school and was an awesome swimmer, very much liked by all the faculty.

Fast forward to now and I'm not in one bit surprised by the situation he is in. A lot of how this case is being handled echos the community that he (we) grew up in, very 'hush hush, my children can do no wrong, he's going to be rich just like his father and mother' type of place. He actually has a Facebook page (which seems to have been taken down) that was a facade to raise money for his fees for the Olympics but was actually just used to raise the $150k for his bail (and is probably the grossest and most disturbing thing I have ever read). It was scattered with memes that they made, one with a picture of a wet hand with the words 'If she wets the mitt, you mush acquit'...

In my opinion, the kid needs to be behind bars for longer than 6 (or 3) months. The family is trying to promise that he is going to go to college campuses and teach everyone about the side effects of binge drinking, but tbh, I think that's just a sob story to get him out of having to go to jail at all. Was his life going well for him? Yes, it's awesome he was going to representing out community at the Olympics someday. Did he make a mistake? Sure as hell he did. He messed his life up. It happens to people and those people have to pay for their mistakes just like everyone else.

That's my two cents, but if you're reading all of this on the news and such, imagine knowing everyone in the community. It's pretty much splintered the entire community because there are the people who believe the punishment isn't long enough and the people who think he is still an angel that can do no wrong.

TL;DR: Grew up with Brock, not surprised by how this case is handled, deserves more time imo

10+ Year Old Account
    I very rarely do, but on occasion it's fun to just say, "Fuck it, let's see where this takes me." The last time I got drunk was the last time Houston flooded. My favorite restaurant/bar had a speakeasy night (in walking distance), so I went and everyone there seemed to know me, and they were all buying me shots. I don't ordinarily do shots, but it felt like a special night to me, and I was surrounded by people I liked and we were all having a good time, so I said "fuck it, bottoms up!" And I really enjoyed that night. I vomited when I got home, and I was vaguely hungover the next day at work, but once in a blue moon it's worth it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Because it's been studied?
    By people like you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay...if people want to roll the dice I don't see them having much right of complaining if things go wrong. Not saying this is all the victims fault, but maybe if the girl wasn't piss drunk she could of resisted or yelled for help...
    Don't know what this has to do with Reeve talking about getting drunk around people you trust. Getting drunk around strangers isn't smart, I think most people would tell you that. Regardless the victim in every single case has a right to complain, people shouldn't rape and there's never an excuse to rape.

Getting drunk is 100% legal.
    Being drunk does not remove human rights from yourself.
    Being drunk does not mean you can break the law.

Raping someone is 100% ILLEGAL - there is no situation in which rape can be accepted as a legal behavior.
    Regardless of the victim being drunk or poorly clothed, rape is NEVER justified and NEVER acceptable.

People who get drunk or are wearing provocative clothing are being UNWISE, but they are NOT breaking the law.
    It is NEVER acceptable to rape someone regardless of what they ate/drank or are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by cam5778 View Post
    Anyone else been following this case? I think jail time isn't going to matter. This kid's life is over, as it should be. He has lost his scholarship and all his hard work with his success in swim competition. Worse, he is now a registered sex offender, which means he's screwed in the job market and where he can live. I wonder if people consider jail time for this kid is just as bad as his reality outside of jail.
    Of course jail time matters. He was found guilty and should be punished accordingly. Whatever he lost because of his actions shouldn't affect sentencing.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Of course jail time matters. He was found guilty and should be punished accordingly. Whatever he lost because of his actions shouldn't affect sentencing.
    I agree. I think it's beyond insane that the violent criminals friends and family were able to sway the judge into a lighter sentence. Ridiculous.

Also, anyone seeing that Turner himself is appealing his case? Can they increase the sentence in that situation? Does double jeopardy still apply or is it waived by an appeal?

Wasn't that long ago that most women wouldn't drink.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Thankfully I have no skin in the game. Happily married, but my 14 year old has been warned.

Short of having a consent form and a copy of the girl's ID, even after consensual sex they can say ANYTHING and get a male in a heap of life wrecking trouble.

In this girl's case she got drunk, and screwed in an ally. she sure ended up like that somehow.(daddy's little princess is a drunken whore) I doubt he tied her to a chair in the bar and poured a bottle of vodka down her throat.

NOT GUILTY.
    Not guilty? Are you fucking kidding me? You see a girl passed out drunk, that isn't an excuse to finger her vagina or grope her breasts!

Should she have shown more personal responsibility? Sure, but the fact that she was drunk IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO RAPE SOMEONE. He is guilty. He was caught red handed.
    Putin khuliyo

Looking at the case and the evidence presented, this guy should have received the maximum sentence. I am sure the prosecution will appeal or something, and I hope the judge gets the sack.

There are many many cases of high profile rape allegations that turn out to be complete fiction. This isn't one of them, and we shouldn't let those cases cloud our judgement on cases of actual sexual assault or rape.