Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    the only person to say "20minutes of action" is the father. not the defendant nor the defendants lawyer. are you biased in this matter that you would make things up to suit your recollections of said events?
    I can see how my wording was a little ambiguous, but you're misinterpreting me. I'm well aware that was from the father's letter. Although I'm not sure what your point was. That doesn't make him, his rapist son, or the defense any less despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Looking at the case and the evidence presented, this guy should have received the maximum sentence. I am sure the prosecution will appeal or something, and I hope the judge gets the sack.

There are many many cases of high profile rape allegations that turn out to be complete fiction. This isn't one of them, and we shouldn't let those cases cloud our judgement on cases of actual sexual assault or rape.
    Exactly this. I get that false rape allegations do occur and are this scary bogeyman thing that people think about these days. But so many seem to take that phenomenon and just decide rape doesn't exist somehow. It is not possible for anyone genuinely looking at the facts of this case to come to any conclusion but guilty, and likely worth a maximum sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Here's my understanding of the case and the evidence. Any facts I'm missing?

He was caught fingering an unconscious girl behind a trash bin. Both had been drinking at a party and she was blackout drunk. He claimed it was consensual. She claimed... she has no memory of it.

My view of the case is, obviously seems highly likely that he was taking advantage of her.

So, guilty. As to sentence - the reason they have sentencing ranges is because there are different levels of sexual assault. There's forcing yourself on conscious struggling victim who is clearly resisting. Then there's this one, which really could have started out as consensual drunken hookup between two hammered adults. It seems to me to fall on the lighter end of the spectrum.
    The contention is that he dragged her behind a dumpster. From her statement in court, "I had dried blood and bandages on the backs of my hands and elbow." So he had to assault her to get her back there. Essentially kidnapping. Then ran off when two people saw him raping her. This didn't start as a consensual drunken hook-up.

Edit: BTW, the running away part is important. It's an acknowledgment of consciousness of guilt.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2016-06-09 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Here's my understanding of the case and the evidence. Any facts I'm missing?

He was caught fingering an unconscious girl behind a trash bin. Both had been drinking at a party and she was blackout drunk. He claimed it was consensual. She claimed... she has no memory of it.

My view of the case is, obviously seems highly likely that he was taking advantage of her.

So, guilty. As to sentence - the reason they have sentencing ranges is because there are different levels of sexual assault. There's forcing yourself on conscious struggling victim who is clearly resisting. Then there's this one, which really could have started out as consensual drunken hookup between two hammered adults. It seems to me to fall on the lighter end of the spectrum.
    That's it? So she could be easily lying, unless there is missing facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    That's it? So she could be easily lying, unless there is missing facts.
    No, that's not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    No, that's not it.
    Yea just saw your post, my bad bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by cam5778 View Post
    To me, college rape cases shouldn't happen if people were smart about going out and partying. Again, I'm not implying the victim is responsible and had it coming, but if she was prepared, it might have not happened. Maybe we need to grow out of the idea "it can't happen to me."
    Maybe she should understand that every guy is supposed to rape her and be prepared? Is that what you are saying? That every female be prepared to be raped if they go out and have a good time? If they get drunk and go get 3 times past the legal limit that there is no way she could say, with consent, yes or no. She would be shitfaced. If women grow up scared of men, you create future victims. If women think all men are after them, you create prey. If women think all men will attack them because they exist, you have created a creature that has fear to be assertive to any man, even in defense or just to say no to an order of breadsticks. Yes women like this exist, I know one personally. It took her 16 years to gain the strength to stand up for herself and leave.

Before you suggest that women think, "it can't happen to me" ask yourself how many of those women you "protected" were abused growing up or raped. Don't ever tell a victim how she should have done something different. You will never know the shame that society puts on women and men who are raped. I hope you never find out. It is enough to know you are so weak that someone can over power you, then to find out other people think you are weak because you "let" it happen. Don't ever assume you know the extent of what happened. It will always be with her. Always. It morphs you, changes you, changes your relationships.

My apologies for voicing my opinion to harshly if it came across that way. Nerve struck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Actually, yes.

It's what started the milita standoff at the park.
    Judge gave light sentence to militia members for arson.
    Prosecutors were like WTF
    Convicted served their time during appeal.
    Judge granted appeal and enhanced jail time
    Convicted were ordered back to prison.

Y'allqueda ensued.
    Actually in that scenario, the convicted spent less than the mandatory minimum. Judge realized the sentencing was a legal error and ordered them to appear at prison to finish their term to the minimum sentence. They appeared in peace.

Bundy and Friends protested anyways.
    Putin khuliyo

Apparently people are sending the judge death threats, for some reason that doesn't seem to be the wisest thing to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A drag indeed.. when it is the government. Otherwise, one should not care.
    Apparently censorship is not a concern of the MMO-Champ Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Joresh View Post
    Apparently people are sending the judge death threats, for some reason that doesn't seem to be the wisest thing to do
    Ya, he deserves to be recalled, not murdered.

Edit: Although I do think judicial recall elections are for the most part bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Yea just saw your post, my bad bro.
    Don't have to apologize to me, just thought I'd quote so you got a notification and see what really happened. It's cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Lawl, no. Minimum should be 10 years for it and then death penalty as the maximum.
    Holy buckets. I mean, what would the punishment for more serious offenses be? Would a serial killer get the death of himself and his entire immediate family? We can't even prove a lack of consent in this case. Hey, let's just say to hell with it! If we think you did something bad, you're dead! WOO!!!

Six months in prison, a blown education opportunity at a prestigious university, being permanently placed on a list that places limitations on your life in terms of work availability and living conditions...no, that's clearly too lenient. We should just kill the guy.

When you get pulled over for speeding, I hope they lock you away for two years. Sounds an appropriate sentence by your standards.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Her letter is powerful stuff. I could never be defense attorney, no money would make me ask such questions to try to make a new "truth".
    And the guy... as she said, you have basically 36 YES, that you are rapist. And you cannot admit that. This is exactly why you should stay in jail for far more than 6 months.
    P.S.
    20 minutes? Is his father retarded too?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Her letter is powerful stuff. I could never be defense attorney, no money would make me ask such questions to try to make a new "truth".
    And the guy... as she said, you have basically 36 YES, that you are rapist. And you cannot admit that. This is exactly why you should stay in jail for far more than 6 months.
    P.S.
    20 minutes? Is his father retarded too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    We can't even prove a lack of consent in this case.
    Wrong, it is was proven, otherwise - he would not have been sentenced as rapist. Read the files, and what was done, then tell me she agreed to all that.
    But yes, I agree that 10 years minimum up to death penalty - is going overboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    For what he was actually charged and convicted of, his sentencing is actually within the guidelines for the state of California. Even a felony assault conviction has an "Up to a year in prison" portion tacked onto it. He was definitely given an easy sentence, but people saying the judge acted outside the realm of the law are simply not correct. Blame a lack of minimum sentencing for assault cases(or the prosecution for failing to get a higher charge because it didn't look like he was convicted of rape rape but about as close as you can be to it. Actually rape rape has a minimum sentence of several years and assault can include penetration, but not intercourse which is where it becomes rape according to California law).

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/califor...ault-laws.html
    http://statelaws.findlaw.com/califor...rape-laws.html
    What he was convicted of was intent to rape of an unconscious person and several counts of penetration, but that seems very specific without saying flat out rape which is leading to some confusion on my part and the links don't seem to provide any real definition for what counts for intercourse.

From the defendent's perspective why he's appealing at all is boggling my mind. He's getting off so easy, I question his sanity. It's not out of the realm of possibility for him to actually get a harsher sentence in the appeal and he won't have the same judge. His case is really weak overall. There are key witnesses. He was caught fleeing the scene(which shows an awareness on his part of what he did). Yes, he may have been intoxicated himself but that's not an excuse according to the law.
    Last edited by Flutterguy; 2016-06-09 at 02:03 AM.

I read the letter she wrote, seriously well written and brought me a few tears. I don't know how people could do this to another person, this guy should have fucking admitted to his wrong doing. I'm glad this will follow him for the rest of his life, the fucked up thing is he only got 6 months? 6 fucking months for rape. I had a friend in college that was a pot dealer and he ended up in jail for over a year. What the fuck is wrong with this justice system when someone who rapes another gets 6 months jail time yet pot dealers get longer sentences.

Fuck this kid and his father, this kid will never get a decent job nor a shot at a good life and I hope the fathers life goes down the drain for the stupid shit he's said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I read the letter she wrote, seriously well written and brought me a few tears. I don't know how people could do this to another person, this guy should have fucking admitted to his wrong doing. I'm glad this will follow him for the rest of his life, the fucked up thing is he only got 6 months? 6 fucking months for rape. I had a friend in college that was a pot dealer and he ended up in jail for over a year. What the fuck is wrong with this justice system when someone who rapes another gets 6 months jail time yet pot dealers get longer sentences.

Fuck this kid and his father, this kid will never get a decent job nor a shot at a good life and I hope the fathers life goes down the drain for the stupid shit he's said.
    Your friend isn't any better, actually. Drug dealers are scum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I wouldn't even call him a friend, he was someone in my comp science classes that sold pot (marijuana) to pay his rent, he was more just someone I talked to in class. Regardless selling pot isn't equal to scum level and how you can equate selling pot to rape is beyond me.

“I’ve lost my ability to obtain a Stanford degree. I’ve lost employment opportunities, my reputation and most of all, my life.”

That's right. Because he raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster, he literally lost his life.

“These things force me to never want to put myself in a position where I have to sacrifice everything,” the rapist continued.

“I would make it my life’s mission to show everyone that I can contribute and be a positive influence on society from these events that have transpired. I will never put myself through an event where it will give someone the ability to question whether I really can be a betterment to society. I want no one, male or female, to have to experience the destructive consequences of making decisions while under the influence of alcohol. I want to be a voice of reason in a time where people’s attitudes and preconceived notions about partying and drinking have already been established.”

What is the moral of Brock Turner's rape-to-redemption story?

“I want to let young people know, as I did not, that things can go from fun to ruined in just one evening.”

In addition to his six-month jail sentence, which is insanely lenient compared to the 14-year maximum, Turner will serve three years’ probation and must register as a sex offender.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/08/sta...ck-turner.html

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So apparently Brock's father has a daughter also. If his daughter was raped by a guy like Brock. Would Brock's father agree if the perpetrators father said the same thing? Makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    whoa there buddy... drug dealers are regular people. usually smarter than your average person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Looking at the case and the evidence presented, this guy should have received the maximum sentence. I am sure the prosecution will appeal or something, and I hope the judge gets the sack.

There are many many cases of high profile rape allegations that turn out to be complete fiction. This isn't one of them, and we shouldn't let those cases cloud our judgement on cases of actual sexual assault or rape.
    why would a 1st time offender ever get the maximum penalty? silly the amount of racial and gender bias going on in this. all cause hes a straight white male with money plebs want him to hang.

I say we bring back public executions. Better yet, let's do it during Monday night football, starting with him and dear ol' dad.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    whoa there buddy... drug dealers are regular people. usually smarter than your average person.

- - - Updated - - -

why would a 1st time offender ever get the maximum penalty? silly the amount of racial and gender bias going on in this. all cause hes a straight white male with money plebs want him to hang.
    Maybe the same level of sentencing as non whites that don't have allot of money? You know the average ''Joe''

Whatever you want to call it this guy raped this girl, he admitted it and I'm not sure if anybody has yet not called it rape.

During the entire processes he has gotten any benefit of the doubt and you see people with far less or similar crimes get much harsher punishments. If justice was truly blind then the judge would have ignored the whole ''20 mins action'' argument.

What I also hate about this sentencing is the same group of people that will defend this to their lives will also then probably go around and call minorities criminals and use jail statistics to justify their opinion.