Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly how WoD has turned out with not just the drought but everything that preceded it has really soured me on Legion.

Legion looks great, but every piece of Legion content I see that looks cool on the MMO-Champ front page is kind of soured by this, I don't know what you'd call it... Little voice in the back of my mind that says [/i]"Your WoD sub paid for this. While you played Facebook games stuck in psychologically-manipulative reward loops and waited over a year they were paying salaries with your sub fee. Get ready to cough up again."[/i]

Beyond that though I honestly think that Blizzard have failed as stewards of the game. An MMO's success and appeal largely revolves around an active and engaged community with other players around to do content with. Not only did they make strategic design decisions that locked people off in their own little bubbles clicking menus, they also gave players sweet fuck-all to do for over a year with has lead to insane levels of sub erosion.

They done fucked it up.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Would you really want them to waste more time on WoD content?

Deleted
    I think it's because the team is already working on the expansion after Legion. Warlords and Legion apparently are just filler expansions and the expansion after Legion is the real deal. They are making the best expansion of all time according to some sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were busy spending money we gave them for shipping unfinished expansion and high fiving each other for selling 2/3 rds of an expansion for price of a full game ^^

Same reason as every other expansion.
    They said they wanted SHORTER EXPANSIONS, not shorter patches.
    Having one less tier made the expansion many months shorter, so that did happen.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Did a single solitary person on all of planet Earth ask for yearly expansions? Or was it more we just don't want a year of sweet fuck-all after the last content drop of an expansion cycle?

From a purely selfish point of view if that year of nothing is inevitable then I'd rather have a longer expansion cycle with 18 months to two years of content.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    what are those numbers representing?
    Days the tier content lasted
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't have to. And they will keep giving the same excuse. I'm sure Legion will have a long content drought as well.

Based on how they handled WoD, isn't it obvious? Sheer incompetence

Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    Wows lack of content is due to the fact that blizzard now has 6 games to deal with. Instead of the usual 3 we use to haveSC2 , wow and Diablo. It seems all the devs get switched over to working on another expansion for another game. After one expansion releases. They might have hired more devs but that doesn't mean there all in the same area of building content. My guess would be is that the new devs are there. To work on wow for other countries. Cause you know they need to translate into other languages. Not to mention change anything in game that is offensive to that area. Wow's lack of content can stem from HoS, Hearthstone, and Overwatch being added. Look back at how much content was given before these were added. They might have hired more devs but it was just to make way for adding these other games.
    The devs don't jump from product to product like that. If you work on Diablo, you work on Diablo. Some of the higher placed devs for WoW get credit for additional work on D3, but they didn't change teams. The devs teams don't have periods of months with nothing to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    I've seen private servers that can churn out more content than blizzard does - and they're usually a team of one guy. Look at any other of the top-10 MMORPGs on the market, f2p or p2p, and check their update schedules. With the exception of blizzard games - No one else stays as stagnant. Tera pushes out fresh dungeons constantly, FF14 puts out TONS of content on a 2-3 month cycle, hell even runescape is finding ways to keep things fresh. Meanwhile, Blizzard takes 6 months to put out twitter integration that was probably done by 1 intern programmer.

I would honestly love to have a peak into the development process that Blizzard applies. I feel like they're doing something horribly wrong.
    You know how they work right? You download the files from a site, that's your emulator core, that someone else has done for you. Then, and "content" you want to add, is available in countless scripts (for instances) that have collaboratively been made by thousands of people over 10 years. No, they don't "Make more content" they heavily edit existing content. New items? That takes litterally 2 seconds in a database, poof, new item. I managed to host a server when I was about bloddy 12, it's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spagetto View Post
    It didn't happen at the end of the expansion, the whole expansion lacked content and Blizzard should make a statement just like Mike Morhaime did when he came out to say Diablo III sucked and they were gonna fix it. One big content update on an expansion that brought make millions of players and then subsequently lost them all and then some. Not to mention it also cost $10 more and followed a long content drought with Siege of Orgrimmar, that was supposedly because WoD was going to be amazing due to the increased size of the WoW team.
    There was plenty of things to do, I had my hands full for the whole expansion, the problem is - That you DIDNT WANT to do the content - that's your problem not blizzards. Most people were happy, it's yet another vocal minority, (just like the pesky legacy lot) If you find yourself actively searching for something to moan about, obviously you will. Just quit the damn game if it dislike it so much... Jesus....

the one I hate most is "the games too easy" you look those people up on the armory, they've done LFR and killed the first boss on normal, then they go moan on a forum because there was only 2 tiers... LFR is not beating the game....
    Last edited by thunterman; 2016-06-09 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Theory: They didn't quite know how to progress from WoD into Legion story wise early enough, and found out that the content had to be focused in Legion to make the transition to make sense, and so they put all the resource there instead, hoping that people will endure the drought to get a better follow-up expansion. Maybe?
    Ehhhh......nah. Gul'Dan bridges the expansions together. It's the story from Highmaul to Hellfire is where they didn't have enough story.

I think they just stopped with explanations, because I mean, how many times do you need to hear an excuse before you just stop believing it? The sad thing is if they did give some BS reason, some people would believe legion won't have a year long content drought too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    No reason that they would or should. It is highly unlikely it is one specific thing too. So trying to list off multiple reasons or factors into it certainly wont happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup that must be it because there is no way they have different teams for different projects.
    Why shouldn't they have? An apology at least..

I remember someone linking this nifty little section in either the EULA or the ToS. I'll paraphrase. Blizzard is under no obligation to EVER patch or add new content to the game. Whether they do, or don't, isn't our business. We pay our sub money to be able to log in and play the game as it is. The end. They don't owe us an apology, that's ridiculous entitlement of the highest level. Don't think you're getting your money's worth? Unsub. Again, the end.

im sure we wont get a good answer until blizzcon

I think it's more they were focusing on other games quite honestly. Vanilla had patches all the way to the release of TBC. TBC was a huge expansion with flying, arenas, new races, all those raids, new professions. it was a huge job and they did it with a smaller staff while pushing patches, fixing bugs, class revamps, pvp additions. they really went all out. So the question becomes are they focused on wow or are they now incompetent. So i'll stick to my premise that they were focusing on all those other games they put out because the alternative is they're incompetent.

Two reasons:
    Because people are just that stupid and keep paying thats why.

Blizzard has made the perfect money scheme where they release an expansion then after 1 year drop everething on it and focus on the new expansion. People will keep paying for them subscription per an aditional year so that blizzard can use that extra money to create the new expansion that they will THEN sell it to you at the price of a full game.
    Not only that but the microtransaction store makes them even more money as people keep buying pets, level up, faction xfer server xfer etc

reason 2.
    Fanboys/out right corporate shills and dev apologists

its next to impossible to organize a boycott. Because honestly if allot of people would cancel their accounts in protest then this will stop happening.
    How ever despite that the vast majority of people are displeased and you can feel free to create a poll on any forum and find out the displeasure of the masses.
    There are a vocal minority of people who will jump in any forum and defend blizzard to the death. They will use insults, curse words and try to derail the topic. Now id assume these people are fan boys how ever judging by the fact that they have 0 consumer awarnes makes me believe they might even be hired by blizzard themselves to sit in an office and do the good old fashion business practice called astroturfing

I can't believe people are still complaining about the content drought. Who the hell cares? A drought happens every expansion.

We should be asking why the expansion had so little content, for $10 more. Why did it stop at 6.2?

Imagine if Wrath of the Lich King ended with the release of Ulduar.