Page 82 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    Critics are the worst people to get movie opinions from, unless you know a particular one has your same tastes.

I mean ... Snowpiercer is 95% fresh and it was a steaming pile of shit of a movie (it could not have been more poorly written).
    Trailers are next best, but what if you think the trailers were not good?

Just spend money to find out? naw, no thanks. It will be online in a couple months, no biggie. Time is what I've got.

Deleted
    Just watched it and I did enjoy myself. Critics have been a tad too harsh on this movie, it did have way more to offer than they've lead us to believe. CGI was top notch aside from some models that seemed out of place and/or lower quality than the rest of the CGI but overall it was very visually pleasing. Acting performances were all over the place ranging from amazing to mediocre to outright horrible. They could definitely have chosen their cast better but it wasn't a movie breaker as the better performances managed to carry the bad.

My only real gripe with the movie was character and plot progression. There was no sense of a timeline between scenes at all. You couldn't tell if two weeks had gone by or two years. Characters developed deep relationships seemingly out of nowhere which resulted in me being rather detached from them. It felt very rushed almost as if it was a guided tour and that's a bit sad. I guess it is what it is, a summer flick and in that sense it isn't too shabby but it wasn't amazing either.
    Last edited by mmoc12de78fbb7; 2016-06-09 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    Just saw it in NJ, imax 3D. Went with my friend who doesn't play any videos games. I'm 34 and been playing wow since release. He's 37.

He walked out saying it was a 10/10 and was asking me lore questions the whole ride home. I give it a 8/10 which is high for me. My only gripes were that some of the orcs were impossible to understand. I actually wish the whole movie was close captioned lol. The other gripe is there wasn't enough iconic spells and abilities. I would liked to see more frost and fire magic from the mages.

Cgi was absolutely breathtaking. And all the idiots who said the effects looked like crap are absolutely wrong. It's AWESOME. Acting and story were on par. Over all, it was a really fun movie to watch and not once was I bored or wonder what time it was.
    I find this indeed what's so great about the movie. You keep talking about the Lore AFTER you have seen it. Riding home you discuss things and I looked at the characters being shown on Wowpedia. My son and I even discussed the things one day later and while he only played WoW without experiencing the first Warcraft stories it was amazing how much stories can be explored from this beginning.

Instead of watching it again and again, I wanted to wait for the DVD extended version to see what these extra 40 minutes will bring.

Any way due to the talking about it my wife wants to see it now too ... badly, so I guess I'll have to go once more.

I am quite sure Warcraft will be a hit on DVD too, since it serves as an extremely good intro to this VAST Fantasy Lore.

Oh and btw China expects now a 150 million dollars opening for the first week. Add the 70 million already gathered in Europe and ... the US market is not even open.

So big fat nose to the hater crowd indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

Just spend money to find out? naw, no thanks. It will be online in a couple months, no biggie. Time is what I've got.
    You do as you please, but anyone who has seen the movie in theaters was impressed. If you want your life to be decided by some idiots and their troll ratings while being too cheap to spend 10 dollars to see a Warcraft movie: I wish you the very best in the quality of your further life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    Cant wait to see it, but cant blame Rotten-Tomatoes for that low raiting. Its a game movie and sadly, its not 100% original. I'm sure it feels like watching a copy version of LOTR. But for me, as a WoW fan, is going to be awesome, i'm sure.
    Not at all. Warcraft is DARK, very fast paced and after viewing it, it was the Lord of the Ring movies (certainly the last one) that gives a very pale copycat of a childish good/evil nonense fairy tale.

Warcraft shows a complete different picture from the Fantasy side: much more darker, hectic and even difficult to follow for the spectator.

Its power doesn't lie with the dialogues, its attraction comes from the complete opposite of what we expect from a traditional movie. That is what many find obstructive. NO Dwarfs that are just shrunk actors, NO Orcs that are just beasts. It is a new and even refreshing approach. And that's why the ratings of people who actually SAW it are rather good.

Warcraft disturbs the Hollywood syndrome of good/evil with a nice ending. The movie is on a crash drive with the fairy tale bleakened white industry.

To me it is a pure Cult movie of Dark unstructured fantasy. The Dwarfs and Orcs alone make LotR a copycat of what a Fantasy movie should be.

That's why people are confused if they don't follow the hectic pace, as a spectator you are thrown from one scene to another without much reference to time, space in chronological order. The movie swamps everyone with information at an extremely high pace.

That's why the acting is hardly important. This is raw harsh fantasy as it should be, not an actor wearing a silly Star Wars mask in a bar ...

Some lousy low ratings are the result of lazy critics who really couldn't grasp the fundamentals of what a Dark Fantasy World represents. Hence it is quite a Cult movie for the coming years.

Made by the son of David Bowie indeed.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-09 at 07:14 AM.

Deleted
    Having just seen the movie I'm really struggling to see where so many of these critics are pulling their scores from, as it was just as good as 90% of those superhero movies Marvel has produced, as well as any of those Hobbit flicks.

To me it seems as though that these so-called "professional" reviewers are going into the film wanting to hate it because of Warcraft's background in the gaming industry, therefore they are nitpicking at stuff they'd normal ignore when reviewing other similar films. If they are going into this film with a preset stance then they are failing to do their job properly, as any professional should be going into a movie without a neutral perspective regardless of a movies background or genre.

Saw the premiere with the family and we enjoyed every moment of it. A few script choices of dialogue that could have been reworked if I'm being explicitly harsh for the sake of it but otherwise, I loved it. It wasn't difficult to follow (my 7yr old could explain all the major plot points without trouble), very slug fest/action oriented, had Blizzard appropriate levels of humor with action, and moved with the typical flow of a summer blockbuster while still being able to tell an otherwise rather dense opening story.

The critics who claimed they couldn't follow are either A) really that dense when it comes to a story being told visually/viscerally over lots of dialogue or B) absolutely need hand holding narration to explain all the details they think need to be there.

The critics that found the plot derivative are just retarded for trying to use the word to sound sophisticated having seen Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter and thus "have seen them all"

The critics who sniped the acting have a bit of a leg to stand on depending on who we're talking about here and what scene. The only stand out moment for me was actually fairly easily explained by who was saying it and why and the situation, it just stood out because even in such situations we tend to expect all movie characters to be truly inspiring and epic and quotable at basically all time.

The other critics that pulled in junk like misogyny in geek culture or just were blindsided by the fighting/killing/violence are to be ignored.

The movie isn't Shakespeare, but it is damn fine entertainment and a load of fun. 3D IMAX was very pleasing but I'm actually looking forward to a home release as the 3D made some background details a bit hard to make out. The altered story line works fine within the cinematic universe while still hitting major plot points, and unless there's just no stomach for another I'd love to see another go on the big screen.

Deleted
    In Belgium the promo is end :/

Rotten Tomatoes gave Star Wars: The Force Awakens a 92%. It wasn't that great. Visually pleasing sure. Story garbage.

Ill make my own mind up about the movie

10+ Year Old Account
    slowly going up. It's at 25% now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

Well there is another option: Wait til it is in theaters for a while and look for real peoples review. You get a lot more diverse information since there are way more opinions out. Another way is to ask friends that have been to the movies. There are many more ways than just spend money.... and better ones than to listen to some out of touch with reality, so called "professional movie critic". I have seen the movie an say it is a solid 7.5 maybe even an 8 out of 10, that makes you want to see more.

After seeing the movie i asked myself what those critics that gave a devastating review have been smoking on, or who payed them to do that.... or they have been really clever: they knew there are some controversials about the movie and they knew they could genereate more clicks with a negative review on the site they published. But those really bad critics have been everything else BUT a professional piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

Not at all. Warcraft is DARK, very fast paced and after viewing it, it was the Lord of the Ring movies (certainly the last one) that gives a very pale copycat of a childish good/evil nonense fairy tale.

Its power doesn't lie with the dialogues, its attraction comes from the complete opposite of what we expect from a traditional movie. That is what many find obstructive. NO Dwarfs that are just shrunk actors, NO Orcs that are just beasts. It is a new and even refreshing approach. And that's why the ratings of people who actually SAW it are rather good.

Warcraft disturbs the Hollywood syndrome of good/evil with a nice ending. The movie is on a crash drive with the fairy tale bleakened white industry.

To me it is a pure Cult movie of Dark unstructured fantasy. The Dwarfs and Orcs alone make LotR a copycat of what a Fantasy movie should be.
    I'm not really that interested in the movie either way, don't really care if it fails or succeeds, just wanted to lay that out because I wanted to talk about what you were saying about movies in general.

A PG13 movie with elves and dwarves and orcs, one liners, awkward romances and entire scenes made of talk about having a baby is not dark fantasy, it's your stock standard high fantasy. Warcraft has been high fantasy for over twenty years, a love letter to 80s fantasy/adventure movies/novels/shows (the references still persist to this day in WoW) that's what got me into it.

And what the hell was that about hollywood being a fairytale industry? Where have you been for the last ten years? We've been neck deep in the grimdark hollywood era of movie making, and I'm sick to death of it. I remember walking out of the last franchise movie I was interested in that was given the grimdark treatment where every character is turned into a brooding twat, who only stops hating himself briefly to fight somebody slightly more grimdark than his/herself, then goes back to complaining about how being a hero/prince/god is so hard and nobody understands me... and saying to my friend I'm done with hollywood until this 'everything must be dark and gritty' bullshit has blown over.

edit & TLDR: Don't confuse the current hollywood grimdark obsession with actual genre distinctions. Dark fantasy is not something you take your kids to.
    Last edited by alabaster jones; 2016-06-09 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VTerpsichore View Post
    Im sure RT is very very scientific when it comes to understanding how it work.

The point stands, that RT really doesn't know dick about anything. They give good review for bad movies and bad for good movies. its all about the OPINION of the people doing. not for the "greater good" so to speak.

I would trust the morons who post the Entertainment Weekly ratings over RT.

Slamming RT is about slamming RT not being a little pussy bandwagon jumper.
    RT doesn't give reviews.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alabaster jones View Post
    I'm not really that interested in the movie either way, don't really care if it fails or succeeds, just wanted to lay that out because I wanted to talk about what you were saying about movies in general.

A PG13 movie with elves and dwarves and orcs, one liners, awkward romances and entire scenes made of talk about having a baby is not dark fantasy, it's your stock standard high fantasy. Warcraft has been high fantasy for over twenty years, a love letter to 80s fantasy/adventure movies/novels/shows (the references still persist to this day in WoW) that's what got me into it.

And what the hell was that about hollywood being a fairytale industry? Where have you been for the last ten years? We've been neck deep in the grimdark hollywood era of movie making, and I'm sick to death of it. I remember walking out of the last franchise movie I was interested in that was given the grimdark treatment where every character is turned into a brooding twat, who only stops hating himself briefly to fight somebody slightly more grimdark than his/herself, then goes back to complaining about how being a hero/prince/god is so hard and nobody understands me... and saying to my friend I'm done with hollywood until this 'everything must be dark and gritty' bullshit has blown over.

edit & TLDR: Don't confuse the current hollywood grimdark obsession with actual genre distinctions. Dark fantasy is not something you take your kids to.
    Warhammer is dark fantasy. Warcraft is far from that, even with all murder, gore and torture in it. There are some things which separate Warcraft dwarves from LOTR dwarves or Warhammer dwarves, but they all share a bunch of topics which makes them quite similar. Warcraft orcs on the other hand have developed to be very different from LOTR orcs or Warhammer orcs. Their shamanistic culture definitely makes a difference, also they have females of importance, and there are both good and evil orcs of either sex (Warhammer orcs reproduce like mushrooms and I cannot remember that anybody mentioned female orcs, so even if there are any, they are not important at all; both kind of orcs are purely evil and boring).

I would say that Warcraft is pop-art fantasy. There are too many pop culture references in there, also a mix of high fantasy themes (like the high magic enviroment with many kinds of spellcasters everywhere) with steampunk elements and quite a modern understanding of gender roles (like shown in the movie, both Humans and Orcs have had their share of women fighting along men in their armies, also orc women being quite independent in chosing their mates, which probably goes as well for Human females, even if not shown in the movie as blatant as with Garona).

Anyway, my 7/10 rating is fixed and I will definitely buy the extended version of the movie.

Really I think a lot of the movie's come from the cut 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Warhammer is dark fantasy. Warcraft is far from that, even with all murder, gore and torture in it. There are some things which separate Warcraft dwarves from LOTR dwarves or Warhammer dwarves, but they all share a bunch of topics which makes them quite similar. Warcraft orcs on the other hand have developed to be very different from LOTR orcs or Warhammer orcs. Their shamanistic culture definitely makes a difference, also they have females of importance, and there are both good and evil orcs of either sex (Warhammer orcs reproduce like mushrooms and I cannot remember that anybody mentioned female orcs, so even if there are any, they are not important at all; both kind of orcs are purely evil and boring).

I would say that Warcraft is pop-art fantasy. There are too many pop culture references in there, also a mix of high fantasy themes (like the high magic enviroment with many kinds of spellcasters everywhere) with steampunk elements and quite a modern understanding of gender roles (like shown in the movie, both Humans and Orcs have had their share of women fighting along men in their armies, also orc women being quite independent in chosing their mates, which probably goes as well for Human females, even if not shown in the movie as blatant as with Garona).

Anyway, my 7/10 rating is fixed and I will definitely buy the extended version of the movie.
    What a joke of a post.

First, there is not even a movie out for Warhammer. Zero, nada. Go back to pushing miniatures on a green table...

Secondly Warhammer is the product of Games Workshop, the most incoherent, commercial and dumb ass company in the entertainment sector over the last decades.

In fact Warhammer Fantasy Lore is changed every 3 years and the last incarnation of the Fantasy branche is so screwed up, they even are abandoned by their greatest fans. Ulric's Lore with its Teutogen Guards were simple scrapped a decade ago "because the tin miniatures were no longer produced". Scrap one of hundreds over the two decades these guys sold figurines.

Reading a book of Warhammer Lore is pure torture really as every 6 sentences you will see a non meaningful yell with 6 exclamation marks. It would be like reading a Warcraft book with "For the Horde !!!!!!" plastered 8 times on one page...

At above also:

As to the Dark Fantasy side of things I compare Warcraft with Lord of the Rings kind of movies or even Star Wars where the Good vs Evil has become a Hollywood white knight joke.

At least in Warcraft you see Orcs/Dwarfs as a complete different kind of species where the kinds of grey are spread over all the featured "heroes" or anti heroes.

Not many movies let their heroes die, in Warcraft almost everyone dies and the movie is no exception. Dark Fantasy is not related to young viewers either. Sex or violence as such have nothing to do with it.

And ... next time ... go see the movie first. The way the Orcs are portrayed in their villages or even the humans are shown in their city stands milesabove the "typical shiny white knight Hollywood productions of good vs evil.

That last remark was immediately apparent when viewing Warcraft the movie. You don't need violence or sex to show a really Dark movie.

One thing is sure: this movie can be reviewed many times because the pacing is so fast no one can see it all in one view and it is quite clear a pure Cult movie, both for fans of the franchise as those who just got their feet wet in Warcraft Lore.

Hence the very good feedback of both Warcraft players and the casual visitors. It is refreshing after SW7 or The Hobbit for many.

Of course the movie demands attention from its viewers or you risk to only see a B movie or trivial summer picture with some fighting scenes.

But Duncan Jones' Warcraft is far more than that and history will prove it.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-09 at 10:33 AM.

What a joke of a post.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos
    First, there is not even a movie out for Warhammer. Zero, nada. Go back to pushing miniatures on a green table...
    Dude, listen to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    https://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraf...ts-1201769124/

46Million in the first day in China, breaking all previous records.
    now at 86 million and still couple of hours to go

I will be close to estimated 90 Million in 2 days

The sequel will be made, the movie will profit.
    And the critics will be critics.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Deleted
    What a joke of a post.

Secondly Warhammer is the product of Games Workshop, the most incoherent, commercial and dumb ass company in the entertainment sector over the last decades.

In fact Warhammer Fantasy Lore is changed every 3 years and the last incarnation of the Fantasy branche is so screwed up, they even are abandoned by their greatest fans. Ulric's Lore with its Teutogen Guards were simple scrapped a decade ago "because the tin miniatures were no longer produced". Scrap one of hundreds over the two decades these guys sold figurines.

Reading a book of Warhammer Lore is pure torture really as every 6 sentences you will see a non meaningful yell with 6 exclamation marks. It would be like reading a Warcraft book with "For the Horde !!!!!!" plastered 8 times on one page...

At above also:

As to the Dark Fantasy side of things I compare Warcraft with Lord of the Rings kind of movies or even Star Wars where the Good vs Evil has become a Hollywood white knight joke.

At least in Warcraft you see Orcs/Dwarfs as a complete different kind of species where the kinds of grey are spread over all the featured "heroes" or anti heroes.

Not many movies let their heroes die, in Warcraft almost everyone dies and the movie is no exception. Dark Fantasy is not related to young viewers either. Sex or violence as such have nothing to do with it.

And ... next time ... go see the movie first. The way the Orcs are portrayed in their villages or even the humans are shown in their city stands milesabove the "typical shiny white knight Hollywood productions of good vs evil.

That last remark was immediately apparent when viewing Warcraft the movie. You don't need violence or sex to show a really Dark movie.

One thing is sure: this movie can be reviewed many times because the pacing is so fast no one can see it all in one view and it is quite clear a pure Cult movie, both for fans of the franchise as those who just got their feet wet in Warcraft Lore.

Hence the very good feedback of both Warcraft players and the casual visitors. It is refreshing after SW7 or The Hobbit for many.

Of course the movie demands attention from its viewers or you risk to only see a B movie or trivial summer picture with some fighting scenes.

But Duncan Jones' Warcraft is far more than that and history will prove it.
    What are you smoking and why are you attacking me if we agree that the movie was good? oO

I was just giving the comparison to a setting which intends to be dark fantasy, and which funnily was the reason warcraft even came into existance.

Anyway, Dark Sun would of course be more dark fantasy, but there is no movie about it, either, so you would not listen, would you?

*shakes head in disbelief*

So, now it is so evident that it's the Chinese how have prevented WoW from going full dive into dog. It was very weird that a game like this could still hold millions of players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dkkf5NEIo0

Quote Originally Posted by kamil84 View Post
    So, now it is so evident that it's the Chinese how have prevented WoW from going full dive into dog. It was very weird that a game like this could still hold millions of players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dkkf5NEIo0
    A game "like this". Do you mean the best, and to be honest the only, MMORPG atm ? Because there is no other MMORPG in the market right now that can compete with WoW. It's not weird that a game "like this" can hold millions of players. It's weird how people still love to post on forums of a game that they pretend to dislike.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.