Page 83 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just saw it. Had some "meh" moments but as I fan I did enjoy myself. I don't blame non-fans for disliking the movie though, it isn't something I'd recommend you show to friends/family who aren't fans of the game. It all makes sense to us players, things like fel and Mak'gora play big roles and they aren't explained in a massive amount of detail.

Basically, if you don't know who these characters are or who they will become, you'd be wondering why it all even matters. Imagine showing someone Star Wars: Episode 3 before they watched 1-2 or 4-6 and expect them to follow along.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Just saw it. Had some "meh" moments but as I fan I did enjoy myself. I don't blame non-fans for disliking the movie though, it isn't something I'd recommend you show to friends/family who aren't fans of the game. It all makes sense to us players, things like fel and Mak'gora play big roles and they aren't explained in a massive amount of detail.

Basically, if you don't know who these characters are or who they will become, you'd be wondering why it all even matters. Imagine showing someone Star Wars: Episode 3 before they watched 1-2 or 4-6 and expect them to follow along.
    A couple of my friends that have never played WoW watched it and loved it. I'm going to bring my kids to see it just so I can watch it again

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    RT doesn't give reviews.
    their review is the review of who they chose to accept for reviewers.

that is their REVIEW!

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    SNIP...

SNIP...

You do as you please, but anyone who has seen the movie in theaters was impressed.
    Well we know thats not true. Hell, just read these forums and you can find that out. I was not impressed and I saw it in the theater. What excuse you going to make up for me not being impressed other than the ones the movie provided?

They shouldn't have allowed the script to be taltered this much. Duncan Jones had a piece of the Warcraft universe to display and how he felt about the script is his own thing. He should've been given the script and if he didn't like how "orcs were the bad guys and how it was a cliche", then he shouldn't have worked on it anyway. There was plenty of room to make up for the "orcs are the bad guys" cliche in a sequel, if one was ever to come, but taking a certain portion of the story and not displaying it correctly is just wrong. Orcs have had their moments to shine in Warcraft and if they wanted to bring some of that in, then they should've taken a different point of time in the story to cover in the movie.

As someone who is very familiar with the universe, I am fairly disappointed with the story wandering away from how it actually was officially in the lore. The movie is great from a technical point of view though.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-06-09 at 03:58 PM.

It's a movie made by a wow nerd, for wow nerds, we'll all like it I imagine. But we knew that in 2007 when it got leaked that there was going to be a wow movie in the first place. I saw some trailer bits at blizzcon 14, and it looked all weird green screen-y and overflowing with exposition then, I can only imagine what it's like as a final product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    now at 86 million and still couple of hours to go

I will be close to estimated 90 Million in 2 days
    Thank the gods for the Chinese

I saw it last night and I have to say the movie exceeded my expectations ,it was AWESOME SOLID 9/10
    Idk what those critics are all about but the reviews from EU were right, its GOOD.

So, orcs vs. Humans(not a fan) (aka Lord of the Rings[which was actually good]) + CGI. Gotcha.

Saw it last night and loved it. As a big fan of the lore the movie was right up my alley. I can absolutely see why non-fans or people just dabbling in WoW wouldn't enjoy it as much. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that, if you aren't privvy to the lore and history of the universe, you just won't get it.

I'm ok with that, though. I still enjoyed LotR despite not knowing anything about it. I sincerely hope it does well enough to get another movie or two, because I *NEED* a WC3 movie.

Signature by Shyama!

Quote Originally Posted by VTerpsichore View Post
    their review is the review of who they chose to accept for reviewers.

that is their REVIEW!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Deleted
    I was wrong about the movie.

After a second view, now in full 3D I upped my score. It now stands at 9.5.

Spectacular graphics, FAR better dwarfs portrayed than in LotR and an incredible speed in both action and story.

The only reason for some low ratings are the usual WoW hater idiots.

These "reviewers" even use troll forum technics on their websites.

The movie is very good indeed. I fell asleep in Avatar and the latest SW. I had no time to be bored 3 seconds in "Warcraft".

My son found it fantastic too btw.

I think low raters are simply idiots. Next time do a review of a black and white French speaking movie with 2 hours of monologues please.

Do you need to be an ex-player? Not at all.

THIS movie IS at least pure Fantasy, not some half baken dwarfs shrunk from humans or wearing ridiculous masks in Star Wars.

Frankly: the CGI in this movie beats Lord of the Rings many times. Lotr looks like kid stuff in this respect today.

Orcs in Lotr are extreme inferior to what we see here in Warcraft.

That's the reality. Giving 0/10 and 1 or 2's is simply trolling.
    Giving it 0 to 2 out of 10 probably is unfair but giving it 9.5/10 and expect to be taken seriously is equally laughable. That would make it a near perfect film and the highest rated ever.

The fact you upped your score after watching it in 3D and talk of "Spectacular graphics" as your opening justification tells me I can safely ignore your opinion when it comes to films.

I'm just going to list a few of my complaints about the movie. I saw it and liked it a lot, but there was definitely some fair critical problems with it. I don't blame critics for not really liking it... But if you're a WoW fan to hell with them, you'll enjoy it.

Some weird parts of the movie...

Duncan does this weird way of transitioning between Orcish and Common that is REALLY confusing. When Durotan meets with Lothar, Garona is translating what the others say. When the camera pans into Lothar, Common turns into English and you hear Durotan in the background speaking Orcish (Zug Zug Lok'tar Goragra yadda yadda) with Garona speaking over Lothar in Orcish. Then mid-sentence the camera pans into Durotan and suddenly he's speaking English, with Garona translating into Common which sounds like gibberish to the audience. This should have been done very early into the film so people are aware they don't both speak the same language of English, not over halfway through the movie.

Garona's assassination of Llane is really, really lame. She was actually a complex character in the lore. I don't know why Jones changed it so much. Basically the king makes her kill him and she's all teary-eyes not wanting to. Wha?

The high elves look REALLY bad. All the other races looked good in the movie. But the high elves... My god, you know that show Face Off? I've seen better on that show. I swear one of the prosthetic ears didn't even match the skin color of the actor. Dwarves and Orcs looked good though.

There's a token black guy who is friends with Lothar or something, he doesn't even talk with an accent like everyone else and idk of his name is even revealed. He's apparently the only black guy in all of Stormwind. Seemed like his placement in the movie was to have a colored actor in an otherwise entirely white cast. Why not at least give him structure instead of throwing him in for the sake of it?

I think Jones confused Deadwind Pass for Burning Steppes a couple of times. Or they just soft retconned the layout of Azeroth. When Durotan and Lothar have their meeting you see "Mount Doom" in the background. Maybe my lore fails me here, but the burning steppes and searing gorge didn't become scorched and Blackrock Mountain didn't become an active volcano until after Ragnaros' attempted summoning. Prior to the Dark Irons influence those were the Redridge mountains.

The Alodi scene was pretty cringey. It really felt like a low-budget sci-fi here. He enters the cube and an old lady is like "you are the chosen one the guardian betrayed us" and even as a Warcraft fan this was a hard pill to swallow.

Garona gets captured and imprisoned, says a couple words and suddenly the humans are letting her walk up to the king untethered and talk face to face with him. Then they ARM HER with a weapon after she agrees to translate. It's dumb. They suddenly trust her with their lives because she speaks common? Lothar even kisses her and they just met!

The Abyssal. If you saw the movie, you'll know. It's just.. Wow.

15+ Year Old Account
    The movie looks horrible. I'll never bother to watch it.

Games Dead Lol
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

I find this indeed what's so great about the movie. You keep talking about the Lore AFTER you have seen it. Riding home you discuss things and I looked at the characters being shown on Wowpedia. My son and I even discussed the things one day later and while he only played WoW without experiencing the first Warcraft stories it was amazing how much stories can be explored from this beginning.

Instead of watching it again and again, I wanted to wait for the DVD extended version to see what these extra 40 minutes will bring.

Any way due to the talking about it my wife wants to see it now too ... badly, so I guess I'll have to go once more.

I am quite sure Warcraft will be a hit on DVD too, since it serves as an extremely good intro to this VAST Fantasy Lore.

Oh and btw China expects now a 150 million dollars opening for the first week. Add the 70 million already gathered in Europe and ... the US market is not even open.

So big fat nose to the hater crowd indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

You do as you please, but anyone who has seen the movie in theaters was impressed. If you want your life to be decided by some idiots and their troll ratings while being too cheap to spend 10 dollars to see a Warcraft movie: I wish you the very best in the quality of your further life.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all. Warcraft is DARK, very fast paced and after viewing it, it was the Lord of the Ring movies (certainly the last one) that gives a very pale copycat of a childish good/evil nonense fairy tale.

Warcraft shows a complete different picture from the Fantasy side: much more darker, hectic and even difficult to follow for the spectator.

Its power doesn't lie with the dialogues, its attraction comes from the complete opposite of what we expect from a traditional movie. That is what many find obstructive. NO Dwarfs that are just shrunk actors, NO Orcs that are just beasts. It is a new and even refreshing approach. And that's why the ratings of people who actually SAW it are rather good.

Warcraft disturbs the Hollywood syndrome of good/evil with a nice ending. The movie is on a crash drive with the fairy tale bleakened white industry.

To me it is a pure Cult movie of Dark unstructured fantasy. The Dwarfs and Orcs alone make LotR a copycat of what a Fantasy movie should be.

That's why people are confused if they don't follow the hectic pace, as a spectator you are thrown from one scene to another without much reference to time, space in chronological order. The movie swamps everyone with information at an extremely high pace.

That's why the acting is hardly important. This is raw harsh fantasy as it should be, not an actor wearing a silly Star Wars mask in a bar ...

Some lousy low ratings are the result of lazy critics who really couldn't grasp the fundamentals of what a Dark Fantasy World represents. Hence it is quite a Cult movie for the coming years.

Made by the son of David Bowie indeed.
    Perfect post is PERFECT.

Deleted
    Don't your worry most of the sub losses are from China. They don't matter! WoW is fine!!!

Wow! So many people watched a well advertised movie in China and it beat well memoried and highly praised movies like that Avatar and THE Mermai...what? The Warcraft movie is doing splendid now!!!

Kek... whiteknights bending themself again to extremes.
    Last edited by mmoc36f28662f1; 2016-06-09 at 08:10 PM.

The only person that can tell you a movie is good is yourself. I dont think the movie looks good. Im still going to see it tho and I may be wrong.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Just went from the movie. It is AWESOME, I definitely want to go watch it again. The only part I didn't understand was that space-cube part. I know all the Warcraft lore, been playing since 2002 (WC3), have read lots of Warcraft lore novels, but I for 100% don't know who the f*ck was in this cube, and why it was in Dalaran at all.
    All others differs from game lore are completely irrevelant and fit in movie well. I was touched by Llane's death, although it differs from game lore greatly, it had soul in it. Too bad to see Garona and Lothar on the opposite sides in the end of movie. And this Thrall final shots - AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Syero View Post
    slowly going up. It's at 25% now
    It's not going up, it's been fluctuating from 15-28% for a week.