Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    As I am getting SPAMMED with quotes from this thread alone, I will not be responding anymore. Too many people do not want to have an actual discussion...
    Run away Little girl, run away

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    He's just proving a point. Huge movies tend to have a marketing budget that's as big as the filming budget.
    He is not proving anything.

He tells with a straight face that a 160 million production cost movie (that took 4+ months to shoot with a giant staff , and 20 months of in studio CGI tuning) ... needs an extra 240 million just to be promoted.

Anyone who believes that is an idiot ... or a Warcraft hater.

You choose. Btw: since obviously you can read/write, I simply know in which category you stand ...

It is quite obvious China ALONE will make up for all production and promotion costs, as it set all records in Chinese movie history ... for the first .... 2 days. So it is rather simple: any extras will be pure win, as even most of the cinemas in China are ... owned by the owner of Legendary.

WHY does that make me happy ?

Because after watching this movie I want a sequel with Thrall in it SO BAD.

And that will happen.

Simple.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-10 at 07:03 AM.

He's just proving a point. Huge movies tend to have a marketing budget that's as big as the filming budget.
    Only issue is that this is not a "HUGE" movie with a "HUGE" marketing budget. You people are the same ones who try to analyze subscriber numbers to prove how horrible Blizzard is doing. If you don't like the game anymore just STFU and get out. Hanging around like a crazy stalker is pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Just to add, in almost every interview that involves Garona they say half-orc/human.
    That is all well and good. Too bad the movie makes absolutely no attempt to explain how Garona (an easily 25+ year old person) could possibly be half human, especially considering that the portal literally JUST opened, and nobody on either side had ever bet at that piont. The first orcs through the portal were literally the first. Her first appearance is on the orc homeworld side of the portal, where she is specifically referred to as a Half Breed. Assuming no "outside" lore contamination, nobody, at any point anywhere in the movie, is ever given a reason to think she would be anything but a halfbreed from from the Orc homeworld.

As game lore fans, we know in the "game" world that Garona was artficially aged and messed with by Guldan. The movie world is not the game world. There is absolutely nothing in the movie that would support her being half human. Literally nothing.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-06-10 at 07:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Here the burden is with you. I am not trying to prove anything here. What I said is until you can prove otherwise your opinion means nothing to me because people who respond the way you did generally can't be taken seriously anyhow. You saying 'lol no' doesn't prove I am wrong about anything. Its just you who most likely know next to nothing thinking you do. Prove me wrong. Even if I am wrong about an estimate I made, guess what? It doesn't really matter. I have no vested interest in seeing the Warcraft movie fail or succeed but if you want to adjust the marketing cost for the movie down to $70m it still needs to make $460m to turn a profit just from box office.
    Oh goodness. You're apparently impervious to reality, talking crap out of thin air.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    He is not proving anything.

He tells with a straight face that a 160 million production cost movie (that took 4+ months to shoot with a giant staff , and 20 months of in studio CGI tuning) ... needs an extra 240 million just to be promoted.

Anyone who believes that is an idiot ... or a Warcraft hater.

You choose. Btw: since obviously you can read/write, I simply know in which category you stand ...

It is quite obvious China ALONE will make up for all production and promotion costs, as it set all records in Chinese movie history ... for the first .... 2 days. So it is rather simple: any extras will be pure win, as even most of the cinemas in China are ... owned by the owner of Legendary.
    I don't say it has a marketing budget of $240 million but I say that $300 million won't be enough for a break even. So if you can do some math my suggested amount of marketing costs is somewhere between $100-150 million (and that's quite likely to be true).

And no, China won't bring $300 million lol.

I don't say it has a marketing budget of $240 million but I say that $300 million won't be enough for a break even. So if you can do some math my suggested amount of marketing costs is somewhere between $100-150 million (and that's quite likely to be true).

And no, China won't bring $300 million lol.
    It brought already 90 million in 2 ... WEEK days... Shattering all previous records....

Chinese First week Friday, saturday, sunday are not even up. By the end of the coming weekend, it will be at least around 250 million world wide as EU and US will be added.

I don't care what follows. The movie simply returned its production costs already, including some promotions which NEVER EVER could be above 100 million dollars.

I mean, you may HATE a product, but at least stop posting garbage arguments.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-10 at 07:12 AM.

As to the movie itself, it was decent. I would give it probably a solid 7 out of 10. Pretty amazing job bringing the World of Warcraft to life, and capturing the aestetic feel of things. Gul'dan is kickass all the way through. Visuals are stunning. Everybody who bitched about the CGI based on watching tiny trailers on their PC can go stuff it, I saw it in IMAX, and it was glorious.

That being said, if there was one major beef I had with it, it would be the lack of a proper exposition for the whole Medhiv / Guldan / Sargeras connection. (Spoiler not spoiler incoming) They drop hints through the movie, and you find out that Medhiv is somehow responsible for the orcs coming to Azeroth, but you never find out why. What corrupted medhiv? who knows? How did he become possessed? Who knows? Why did he bring the orcs to azeroth? Who knows? Obviously, anyone familiar with the game lore knows, but any non game fan who went to watch the movie is going to be left feeling that there is this giant gaping hole in the plot that never got resolved, or even properly explained to begin with.

They literally had the perfect scene in the movie to properly get all that exposition out of the way, they could have done it in 3 or 4 minutes tops, and it would have been a perfect setup for a sequel should they want one, and they just tossed it all for some Metaphysical Dark vs Light, Yin/Yang balance magical mcguffin shit.

One other tiny gripe I would have is that they really needed to make the end scene just a tiny bit different, to properly show the formation of the Alliance, so that the audience actually knows that an "alliance" was formed, as the way it was done in the theatrical cut, you pretty much dont even notice the Elves at all, only remember the Dwarves because they had a 2 minute cameo in the beginning of the movie, and really dont get any strong impression of there actually being an "alliance" when the movie ends.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-06-10 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saafe View Post

fix'd 10/10
    The film was fine, but not a 10, Id give it a 7.5/10, my buddy whos not a Wow guy gave it a 7 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    As to the movie itself, it was decent. I would give it probably a solid 7 out of 10. Pretty amazing job bringing the World of Warcraft to life, and capturing the aestetic feel of things. Gul'dan is kickass all the way through. Visuals are stunning. Everybody who bitched about the CGI based on watching tiny trailers on their PC can go stuff it, I saw it in IMAX, and it was glorious.

That being said, if there was one major beef I had with it, it would be the lack of a proper exposition for the whole Medhiv / Guldan / Sargeras connection. (Spoiler not spoiler incoming) They drop hints through the movie, and you find out that Medhiv is somehow responsible for the orcs coming to Azeroth, but you never find out why. What corrupted medhiv? who knows? How did he become possessed? Who knows? Why did he bring the orcs to azeroth? Who knows? Obviously, anyone familiar with the game lore knows, but any non game fan who went to watch the movie is going to be left feeling that there is this giant gaping hole in the plot that never got resolved, or even properly explained to begin with.

They literally had the perfect scene in the movie to properly get all that exposition out of the way, they could have done it in 3 or 4 minutes tops, and it would have been a perfect setup for a sequel should they want one, and they just tossed it all for some Metaphysical Dark vs Light, Yin/Yang balance magical mcguffin shit.

One other tiny gripe I would have is that they really needed to make the end scene just a tiny bit different, to properly show the formation of the Alliance, so that the audience actually knows that an "alliance" was formed, as the way it was done in the theatrical cut, you pretty much dont even notice the Elves at all, and really dont get any strong impression of there actually being an "alliance" when the movie ends.
    Actually, the movie has a tremendous PACE in its story telling. I liked that.

Time flew past so quick we thought the movie lasted 40 minutes or so. I fall asleep with each viewing of a Lotr film...

Duncan already said that the DvD version will include an extra 40(!) minutes footage.

Even there he succeeds: grab the action in the IMAX version at an incredible speed and deliver to the FANS of the franchise the extra punch for their home cinemas.

Perfect work. I gave it a 9.5 because I lived in Azeroth for 7 years and it was perfect to look back and saw an epic story telling of the world I gamed in for so long.

It met 95% of my expectations: fast and bringing Azeroth to life.

My 23 year old son was with me and we shared our experiences. It was a magnificent father's gift really.

I will never foget it. A 9.5 more than deserved ....

Thank you Duncan.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-10 at 07:27 AM.

The Warcraft II Movie should be about Thrall and the 3rd movie should be about Arthas.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

That is all well and good. Too bad the movie makes absolutely no attempt to explain how Garona (an easily 25+ year old person) could possibly be half human, especially considering that the portal literally JUST opened, and nobody on either side had ever bet at that piont. The first orcs through the portal were literally the first. Her first appearance is on the orc homeworld side of the portal, where she is specifically referred to as a Half Breed. Assuming no "outside" lore contamination, nobody, at any point anywhere in the movie, is ever given a reason to think she would be anything but a halfbreed from from the Orc homeworld.

As game lore fans, we know in the "game" world that Garona was artficially aged and messed with by Guldan. The movie world is not the game world. There is absolutely nothing in the movie that would support her being half human. Literally nothing.
    That is all well and good. Too bad in the interviews Duncan Jones goes through explaining all that, that there is a reason why they made her the way she is and that there IS an explanation and a scene they had to cut in the movie for its final release.

Sorry you have to become all torn like this but the Warcraft movie and the World of Warcraft game are not similar in their lore, and you can keep denying it all you want.

https://youtu.be/3ngojYD4L3I

0:24

ENJOY.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    They can say whatever the hell they want.
    The movie they created implies she is half orc and half draenei.
    No, it doesn't even imply that lol.

Staring at a draenei for 15 seconds doesn't imply anything over the countless interviews and where they have said she's half-orc/human.
    Last edited by Tome; 2016-06-10 at 07:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it last night at my cinemark. some places are showing it early? was surprised when I saw the date. But yeah, I watched it, and it is very, very, good. Highly recommend on reading up on your lore before so you dont get confused.

Moive was great 8/10. Pacing being the worst thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzek View Post
    Moive was great 8/10. Pacing being the worst thing.
    I don't understand how people can give such high ratings while admitting pacing was a big problem. Bad pacing can completely kill a movie for me no matter how good its other aspects are.

Not the worst movie I'd ever seen, but I couldn't get into it at all. All the changes to the story and the feel of the characters kept ripping me right out of the movie. Not sure why they changed it to a worse storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I mean, you may HATE a product, but at least stop posting garbage arguments.
    Garbage numbers? You don't have any clue about marketing movies. There are many huge movies which marketing costs are higher than filming costs. I don't say that's the case with Warcraft but be sure their marketing budget was at least $100 million. That's simply how it is.

Deleted
    That is all well and good. Too bad the movie makes absolutely no attempt to explain how Garona (an easily 25+ year old person) could possibly be half human, especially considering that the portal literally JUST opened, and nobody on either side had ever bet at that piont.
    It did "explain". In this alternate universe Medivh is her father via demonic Sargerasic teleportation whatevers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    It did "explain". In this alternate universe Medivh is her father via demonic Sargerasic teleportation whatevers.
    They seem too set on the orcs making the first entrance, while it was Medivh visiting Draenor first in this movie lore.

Deleted
    Gotta say that I find the movie awesome! I was very sceptical, I actually didn't even want to go see it, but after watching it, I feel like I've fallen in love with WarCraft all over again! I also don't understand people who say pacing is too fast, it most certainly isn't. It's a typical action movie, maybe that's why I find it so awesome, because I took it as a simple action movie and didn't expect LotR or Star Wars.

Great movie! So hoping for the next installment!