Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    The Warcraft II Movie should be about Thrall and the 3rd movie should be about Arthas.
    Duncan stated that if he does teh first three movies, Thrall will be the centre of the trilogy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just came back from seeing the movie just now and I'd give it a 7/10 as well. Was really fun to see the game come to life after all these years and I thought they did a fantastic job with the CGI and costumes. I especially loved Gul'dan and Medivh. As a fan, I though the fact they managed to squeeze in so many in game locations was nice as well but I'm not sure it was a good idea for the general audience. Apart from that, the acting was pretty wooden all around imo and the emotional scenes were more likely to make you grin honestly (apart from one specific scene) but I don't take this kind of film seriously, so it didn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I don't understand how people can give such high ratings while admitting pacing was a big problem. Bad pacing can completely kill a movie for me no matter how good its other aspects are.
    Pacing was a problem because of how much they tried to cram in such a short amount of time. Personally that didn't bother me as much as the plot itself. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about WoW lore and have an easy time understanding sic-fi material generally but sometimes this movie had me scratching my head wondering wtf was going on.

Like the 'cube' in Dalaran, what the fuck was that about? Totally came out of left field and, as far as I know, was the only element that had absolutely no basis in lore. Many times it felt as if they were making things unnecessarily complicated to seem cooler but sometimes less is more and this is definitely one of those times. Had they condensed the plot and lore a bit, it would have helped the movie greatly imo.

In any case it doesn't deserve the incredibly abysmal score it has on RT, don't trust that shit. The movie is still a lot of fun to watch, even with all its flaws. I really hope they make bank, so they can make more. Almost had me excited about Warcraft again. Wish they could just reboot the Vanilla/BC days.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2016-06-10 at 08:26 AM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    So many people pulling fake numbers out of their ass trying SO HARD to make the movie look like it's not doing well when it very much is. So many people try so hard to hate the Warcraft movie just because it relates to WoW (Which it doesn't by the way WoW =/= Warcraft) and people hate WoW for whatever irrelevant reason.

Edit:
    Just so i don't look like I'm pulling shit out of my ass too:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm
    Box Office Mojo (a very accredited movie revenue website) shows them already above their production costs and the movie hasn't even opened in the west. The movie's domestic income will most likely make the total increase by 50% AT LEAST since most movies have about half the foreign value in domestic income.

That's is a lot of profit for a movie that is getting A LOT of hate.
    Last edited by Azarak; 2016-06-10 at 08:31 AM.

Is it just me or is it really strange to care a lot about a movie failing. I mean I can see why someone would want it to do well so you could get more. If you enjoyed it. But bad? Are you invested in some other movie that is running now? Just seems like a waste of time to really have an agenda of having a desire to see a movie to poorly and really stand beside it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azarak View Post
    So many people pulling fake numbers out of their ass trying SO HARD to make the movie look like it's not doing well when it very much is. So many people try so hard to hate the Warcraft movie just because it relates to WoW (Which it doesn't by the way WoW =/= Warcraft) and people hate WoW for whatever irrelevant reason.

Edit:
    Just so i don't look like I'm pulling shit out of my ass too:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm
    Box Office Mojo (a very accredited movie revenue website) shows them already above their production costs and the movie hasn't even opened in the west. The movie's domestic income will most likely make the total increase by 50% AT LEAST since most movies have about half the foreign value in domestic income.

That's is a lot of profit for a movie that is getting A LOT of hate.
    so you think the theaters are airing the movie just to send all of the revenue back to the makers?

and the people acting like this is going to make blizzard any money ...go look up who actually financed the film. hint: three major chinese companies. including ones that are state-run (the chinese government.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Is it just me or is it really strange to care a lot about a movie failing. I mean I can see why someone would want it to do well so you could get more. If you enjoyed it. But bad? Are you invested in some other movie that is running now? Just seems like a waste of time to really have an agenda of having a desire to see a movie to poorly and really stand beside it.
    Yea this is basically what I was getting at, there is a LOT of people trying so hard to hate this movie and spread hate about it like the plague. I have never seen that about any other movie (except maybe Twilight to a lesser extent). It's really pathetic. Watch the movie before you say it's terrible and if it's still bad in your opinion, then so be it, but that doesn't mean tell every single person you know how terrible it is and all this shit about how you knew it was going to be bad.

Unfortunately, so many people have it ingrained in their brain that they will hate it, that they will never like it regardless of its quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    so you think the theaters are airing the movie just to send all of the revenue back to the makers?
    Theaters only take a small percentage of the movie revenue, that's why snack and drink prices are so ridiculous. Try working at a movie theater some time.
    Last edited by Azarak; 2016-06-10 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    That is all well and good. Too bad in the interviews Duncan Jones goes through explaining all that, that there is a reason why they made her the way she is and that there IS an explanation and a scene they had to cut in the movie for its final release.

Sorry you have to become all torn like this but the Warcraft movie and the World of Warcraft game are not similar in their lore, and you can keep denying it all you want.

https://youtu.be/3ngojYD4L3I

0:24

ENJOY.
    You missed the point entirely.

Remove all outside lore knowledge. Remove the "but the director said a thing in interviews that almost nobody who is not a fan likely even heard about". Go just by the movie. There is absolutely NOTHING. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero information exists in the movie that would give any indication at all that Garona is, or even remotely possibly could be, half human. A deleted scene means jack squat if it was deleted......

WE, as the game playing, lore following, geek demographic that this movie was targeted at know the "inside scoop". The average joe movie goer who dropped in to watch the movie because it sounded neat, who has never touched a Warcraft property before? They would look at you like you were a loon if you tried to tell them that the movie says Garona is half human, because there is literally nothing in the movie that would allow anyone to remotely come to that conclusion....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    It did "explain". In this alternate universe Medivh is her father via demonic Sargerasic teleportation whatevers.
    Wat? There was nothing, anywhere in the movie, that even remotely hinted at anything of that nature.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-06-10 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    You missed the point entirely.

Remove all outside lore knowledge. Remove the "but the director said a thing in interviews that almost nobody who is not a fan likely even heard about". Go just by the movie. There is absolutely NOTHING. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero information exists in the movie that would give any indication at all that Garona is, or even remotely possibly could be, half human. A deleted scene means jack squat if it was deleted......

WE, as the game playing, lore following, geek demographic that this movie was targeted at know the "inside scoop". The average joe movie goer who dropped in to watch the movie because it sounded neat, who has never touched a Warcraft property before? They would look at you like you were a loon if you tried to tell them that the movie says Garona is half human....

- - - Updated - - -

Wat? There was nothing, anywhere in the movie, that even remotely hinted at anything of that nature.
    Don't be in such denial.

She is half-orc/human in the movie, wether they directly say it or not. Just because we know the canon lore of her being half-orc/draenei in the game means absolutely nothing movie wise.

The movie and the game are not the same lore.

I don't care how you interpret the movie. She is half-orc/human.

The scene is not deleted either, it was cut from the cinema movie and will be in the extended edition. It's still there, it's still movie canon that she is a half-breed of orc and human.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Garbage numbers? You don't have any clue about marketing movies. There are many huge movies which marketing costs are higher than filming costs. I don't say that's the case with Warcraft but be sure their marketing budget was at least $100 million. That's simply how it is.
    Here is your problem Nyel " I don't say that's the case with Warcraft" you don't say that's the case because you have no fucking clue what money was spent. ZERO KNOWLEDGE. So everything you say afterwards is just you making shit up. Hell, I can do that to. The movie has already made all of it's money back because all marketing was done for free in exchange for beta invites. Yep, prove me wrong. When you know nothing and make shit up statistically, you will be called on it.

If you missed the scene were Medivh talked to Garona, he says to find your true love, you might even have to travel worlds.

With orcs never being on Azeroth before, and Garona being half-orc/human, the obvious set up is that Medivh got himself to Draenor before the orcs came to Azeroth.

Doesn't work with the game lore now does it?

No, because this is the movie lore.

Deleted
    Congratualtions on making the most dumb point ever on this forum.

Movie revenue is ALWAYS counted as how much money was taken at the theatres. Every single movie in history boasting about their revenues uses this figure... why do u think that changing this now is relevant?

Clearly u know nothing about measuring the success/failure of a movie so i suggest u keep out of the discussion.

and the people acting like this is going to make blizzard any money ...go look up who actually financed the film. hint: three major chinese companies. including ones that are state-run (the chinese government.)
    U really are clueless on how movies are funded too...

If u want to see who is in charge of the money for any movie u look at the list of PRODUCERS. They hold the pursestrings. And when u look at the producers on Warcraft u can see there are alot of Blizzard names in there. That means Blizzard DID put up alot of the funding for the film.

She is half-orc/human in the movie, wether they directly say it or not. Just because we know the canon lore of her being half-orc/draenei in the game means absolutely nothing movie wise.

The movie and the game are not the same lore.

I don't care how you interpret the movie. She is half-orc/human.
    I already know the movie and game are not the same lore. Infact, i mention it several times when pointing out that nothing in the movie even remotely hints at garona being half human, that most of that is coming from pre-concieved, game-lore based information.

A: She is easily 20+ years old. How is she that old, if the first time humans ever meet orcs is literally the beginning of the movie, and the movie itself probably covers at most, a year or so? Did her parents send her back in time Terminator style?
    B: The first time we see her, she is on the ORC side of the portal. To the best of our knowledge, which is never contradicted at any point later in the movie, the warband that crosses in the beginning are the first orcs to ever set foot on Azeroth.
    C: When asked where she comes from, she makes it quite clear she is not from azeroth, and the king makes the statement that he is familliar with every race on azeroth. Kind of wierd that nobody knows what an orc is, yet somehow a human managed to get one pregnant?
    D: It is established that Medhiv's strange behaviour has been going on for about 6 years. If that is roughly the maximum allowable time for Medhiv to be world hopping to bang Orc chicks, then Garona is one really well developed 6 year old

Care to explain to me how, just from the movie, anyone could reasonably logically conclude Garona is half-human? Literally the ONLY thing the arguement has going for it is that she looks different. But the Prisoners in the cages at the beginning looked different too, so there goes that arguement out the window.

If you missed the scene were Medivh talked to Garona, he says to find your true love, you might even have to travel worlds.
    Actually, what he said was "if love is what you need, you may have to go to the ends of the earth to find it." Implying that he traveled to other worlds is all you, not him, and not the movie.
    With orcs never being on Azeroth before, and Garona being half-orc/human, the obvious set up is that Medivh got himself to Draenor before the orcs came to Azeroth.

Doesn't work with the game lore now does it?

No, because this is the movie lore.
    That is all based on the supposition that Garona is half-human, which doesnt work with the lore presented by the movie either, as I just pointed out.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-06-10 at 10:41 AM.

Deleted
    Doesnt work with the movie lore either, as I just pointed out.
    Gul'dan talked to a demon. That is obviously Medivh/Sarg/whatever it is in the movie. It's really not a stretch to imagine him travelling to Draenor and finding love there some 20-30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Gul'dan talked to a demon. That is obviously Medivh/Sarg/whatever it is in the movie. It's really not a stretch to imagine him travelling to Draenor and finding love there some 20-30 years ago.
    In terms of the movie, that is a pretty huge stretch, no matter how you spin it.

Deleted
    In terms of the movie, that is a pretty huge stretch, no matter how you spin it.
    It's really not. Especially considering it is Word of God that Garona is half orc half human. Who else could trave lto Draenor?

I already know the movie and game are not the same lore. Infact, i mention it several times when pointing out that nothing in the movie even remotely hints at garona being half human.

A: She is easily 20+ years old. How is she that old, if the first time humans ever meet orcs is literally the beginning of the movie? Did her parents send her back in time Terminator style?
    B: The first time we see her, she is on the ORC side of the portal. To the best of our knowledge, which is never contradicted at any point later in the movie, the warband that crosses in the beginning are the first orcs to ever set foot on Azeroth.
    C: When asked where she comes from, she makes it quite clear she is not from azeroth, and the king makes the statement that he is familliar with every race on azeroth. Kind of wierd that nobody knows what an orc is, yet somehow a human managed to get one pregnant?

Care to explain to me how, just from the movie, anyone could reasonably logically conclude Garona is half-human? Literally the ONLY thing the arguement has going for it is that she looks different. But the Prisoners in the cages at the beginning looked different too, so there goes that arguement out the window.

Actually, what he said was "if love is what you need, you may have to go to the ends of the earth to find it." Implying that he traveled to other worlds is all you, not him, and not the movie.

Doesnt work with the movie lore either, as I just pointed out.
    I never claimed that the movie points out directly anywhere that she is half human, only you seem to be obsessed to get out that the movie doesn't show it.

I don't care how the movie is interpret by you or what you think of "outside movie" interviews. They state over and over again that she is half human, and then it doesn't matter if they show it in the movie or not. They SAY she is, and they even say the reason why they made that change.

If you are obsessed in having right that the movie "doesn't tell you" it still doesn't change the fact that she still is half human in this story.

If anything, there's MORE pointing towards her being half human than draenei in the movie if you have to insist argue over that silly point that the movie doesn't directly tell you.

She's commented on looking more human, she just say she isn't.

Medivh is the only human connected to the Dark Portal and the orcs from the very beginning.

Medivh even comments on his love and what he did to find it.

If anything, if Garona appears 20+ Medivh could have gone to Draenor years before the events of the movie. Khadgar even comments on this book he finds that there's a portal drawn in it before the Dark Portal was built, whether it's a blueprint or other means of going to Draenor we don't know.

We just know Medivh had contact with Gul'dan through Sargeras in the GAME lore, and that's why Medivh opened the portal to send them in.

Who do you think opened the ground portal to Azeroth from Draenor in the start of the movie?

Through any other or the same means Medivh could alone gone to Draenor, and fallen in love during his demonic quest.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is freaking good. 8.5/10 min

I dearly hope a certain Kotaku critic is busy soiling themselves right about now.

This Garona drama is dumb. It's literally confirmed in the novelization of the movie AND in a Duncan Jones interview that she's half-human.

Movie is loads better than I was expecting. Not anywhere near "omg amazing" but good enough that I'd be willing to pay to see a sequel in theaters. First act is all over the place, but the other 2 acts are solid. "Origin stories" and "first movie in a trilogy" movies are always rough around the edges, and get better with time.

The lore that was changed made a lot of sense. Garona was half-human until The Great Draenei ret-con happened, so I welcome her coming back to half-human. The other changes (no-spoilers) also made a lot of sense if you think about it from a long-term standpoint. A lot of lore from WC1-3 was dumb, it seems like the changes were made by Metzen/ect to further the depth and try and make it a real movie universe. I'd honestly like it if they retconned the game to use the lore they added in from the movie. It fits much better. Anyone thinking the changes were bad doesn't understand how lore works and is just grasping at rose-colored glasses "nostalgia" (that's coming from someone who so desperately wants legacy servers.)

Edit: I didn't know about the "half-human garona" novelization or interviews until AFTER I saw the movie and I still pieced it together. One specific scene in the movie (those that have seen it will know the scene, don't want to spoil) all but spells it out. I thought to myself "oh damn, they have Garona as 'X's' (spoilers) kid!)
    Last edited by Anaphaze; 2016-06-10 at 11:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Garbage numbers? You don't have any clue about marketing movies. There are many huge movies which marketing costs are higher than filming costs. I don't say that's the case with Warcraft but be sure their marketing budget was at least $100 million. That's simply how it is.
    The Universal marketing, at least $100M? What? Those crappy posters and awful bad-edited trailers?

Chinese marketing of Warcraft was all done by the chinese investors.

- - - Updated - - -

The makers (investors) owns the theatres. We are looking to a completely new paradigm here.