Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warcraft movie in profit as earnings reach $168 million

Warcraft has earned $168 million in ticket sales on the eve of its official North American opening. The movie cost $160 to make so they are already in profit. Do you think this makes a sequel more likely? Out of that $168 million, $91 million was from ticket sales in China. Anything above $300 million and I think sequel's are more or less guaranteed, what do you think?

Deleted
    Noooo...
    1. Marketing costs
    2. They don't get 100% of the revenue (theaters need money too)
    3. They need roughly $450m to breakeven.

Edit: However movie will be at about $240m by the end of Friday and roughly about $360m by the end of Sunday. (These are my own calculations only).
    I expect the movie to earn a total of $550m, but I hope it does way better in the US, than predicted.
    Last edited by mmoca506320b02; 2016-06-10 at 03:56 PM.

Need to make above 320 million which is doable concidering weekend isnt here yet. China tickets count for 40% of what theaters do cause of massive taxes.

Warcraft is expected to reach 600 million thanks to China and international market

We can expect a sequel yas!

Thank you China

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie did cost 160 million to make, don't think that is with marketing included so it is slightly more than 160.
    Also it is not like the studio gets 100% of the movie ticket. They get around 80% of the movie tickets the first few weeks and later on they get 50% of that money.
    So if Warcraft will spawn a sequel it must bring in around 400 million which it might do thanks to the Chinese box office. It is looking grim for the US box office because US is all about thoese reveiws but if word of mouth is good then sure, it might to well in the states as well.
    Just look at Pacific Rim, only brought in 100 million in the US and the rest 311 world wide and it has now a sequel in the works. So yeah around 350-400 million and there will PROBABLY be a Warcaft sequel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixy View Post
    Noooo...
    1. Marketing costs

Edit: However movie will be at about $240m by the end of Friday and roughly about $360m by the end of Sunday. (These are my own calculations only).
    I expect the movie to earn a total of $550m, but I hope it does way better in the US, than predicted.
    450 sounds much considering Pacific Rim cost 190 and brought in 411 and it has a sequel in the works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still has yet to open down here in Australia and it hasn't even opened in Mongolia, Argentina, Chile or Japan so there are still some big markets left to open in.

The director said he would like to do 2 more warcraft movies. I'm praying cuz I totally loved it! Im hyped

Hopefully the US won't listen to the critics and rather go by what regular people think. Would hate for the movie to flop in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    Still has yet to open down here in Australia and it hasn't even opened in Mongolia, Argentina, Chile or Japan so there are still some really big markets left to open in.
    Read that in some countreis it will open the 30th. Don't know if those countries are to count on tough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Hopefully the US won't listen to the critics and rather go by what regular people think. Would hate for the movie to flop in the US.
    The pre sales looks really bad in the US atm, but maybe if they start to hear what the general movie audience thinks about it, it might do well afterwards.

If it makes enough profit even to warrant a sequel, its still up to the studio if they are interested enough in doing one. Its not really worth getting your hopes up and just wait until they make an announcement for a sequel, which they usually like to announce very early.

If they do make a sequel, then I hope they go straight for the Arthas story. If anything they should've started their first movie with him.

I think there will be a sequel, the movie is doing good at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If it makes enough profit even to warrant a sequel, its still up to the studio if they are interested enough in doing one. Its not really worth getting your hopes up and just wait until they make an announcement for a sequel, which they usually like to announce very early.

If they do make a sequel, then I hope they go straight for the Arthas story. If anything they should've started their first movie with him.
    WC2 lore is way too compelling to just skip. It's much better than WC1 story, that's for certain. Obviously doesn't stand up to WC3, but honestly, that game warrants a trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Surely it's Blizzard who decides if they make a sequel, they can pay for it themselves, they would just need a studio to distribute it, I thought thats what they did with this one?

Warcraft is doing better than Star Wars in China. Pretty impressive. I haven't seen it yet but the critics are really ripping the movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixy View Post
    Noooo...
    1. Marketing costs

Where do people get this 450m 'break-even' figure?

That would be to say that Pacific Rim is essentially to be remade on a small loss.

I think they'll make their money back, the critics have people scared to go see movie but once word of mouth starts spreading of the people who seen it more will be willing to go knowing it's not a 0/1/2 star movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    Surely it's Blizzard who decides if they make a sequel, they can pay for it themselves, they would just need a studio to distribute it, I thought thats what they did with this one?
    No, i doubt Blizzard contributed anything significant. There were a myriad of investors though which is why the cost is not as definitive as it may be in other cases.

Deleted
    I am looking forward to seeing it now, A friend took his wife and said she really enjoyed it. She doesn't play WoW, games or anything fantasy related but she thought it was a great story. It's word of mouth reviews like that which give me faith its actually watchable.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just watched the movie. The ratings it got is what it kind of deserves.

Actors did fine, and the fighting carried the film. The movie itself reminded me alot of Michael Bays crap work in transformers.

The movie should have been 3 hours, which would of gave more time for blizzard to work with instead of flopping out characters. For example, thrall was born around 20 min mark and was saved by Gul'dan by sucking out a deers soul and placing it into thrall instead of duraton saying thank you for saving my son. He didn't say anything. Then we go five minutes later into the film "After our first encounter with the big actors." Durotan was like "Gul'Dan killing everything. We must kill him and allie with the humans." Like the plot doesnt even get much better. and the horde dont know anything about the humans with in only 25 mins of the film. Heck, they just watched the humans kill their kind after meeting now the orcs are talking about forming an alliance with the humans. Nothing even made logical sense.

The story From Warcraft lacks more immersion then World of Warcraft. Which says alot, and ruined the movie alot for me.
    Last edited by Haselden; 2016-06-10 at 05:01 PM.

Deleted

Why would they start with Arthas that would be stupid.. no backstory for the joint main race of the story they are just randomly there? now that would be a bad movie.