Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    And it being scripted and done as entertainment does not make it not a sport. According to multiple definitions of the word, it is a sport though it's actually billed as "sports entertainment". It's sure as hell more of a "sport" than golf or fishing.
    Which reminds me of discussions\debates we use to have at work years ago The people who didn't like baseball and those who did would argue if baseball is really a sport. I mean, how can it be a sport if you can play 2 games back to back. The anti-baseball crowd said it isn't a sport, it's a highly skilled actitvity

The problem with wrestling today is that it's too corporate and they've forgotten their roots on what makes it fun. Nowadays wrestling has kind of reverted to plain matches with ordinary dudes, and when you compare that to something like the UFC, the UFC is obviously going to look superior because they are really fighting. It doesn't matter that wrestlers on rare occasion may get seriously injured... what they are doing is specifically fake fighting.

The WWE back from the attitude era is a different story though, the fighting was still fake but they incorporated a lot of interesting angles and hilarious stuff mixed in, aka entertainment. Long story short the WWE needs to focus back on the entertainment, not just having small dudes run around the ring like crazy and then talk about the athleticism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    And it being scripted and done as entertainment does not make it not a sport. According to multiple definitions of the word, it is a sport though it's actually billed as "sports entertainment". It's sure as hell more of a "sport" than golf or fishing.
    Is ballet a sport? What about circus trapeze artists? They are athletic people following a choreographed routine, as happens in wrestling.

It is theatre, it is not far removed from a sword fight in a play in form or function.

Subject matter is apropos:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    That's a little weird.
    Given the WWE's stubborn resistance. Rollin's curb stomp is prohibited for some time already now.
    Bryan was cleared by independent doctors, but WWE docs did not clear him.
    Stuff like that..
    Hard to judge whether such law suits have merit or the person just tries to cash in on WWE's wealth.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That's a little weird.
    Given the WWE's stubborn resistance. Rollin's curb stomp is prohibited for some time already now.
    Stuff like that..
    Hard to judge whether such law suits have merit or the person just tries to cash in on WWE's wealth.
    Those actions were done in response to the lawsuits.

That's a little weird.
    Stuff like that..
    They also made Triple H and Rollins change the pedigree. Original pedigree triple h would hold on to their arms the whole time and they couldn't do anything to brace themselves for the fall. Now they've made it so during the pedigree when triple h jumps he lets go of their arms so that they can brace themselves. They made seth rollins do it too. I don't remember when they made the change though.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Is ballet a sport? What about circus trapeze artists? They are athletic people following a choreographed routine, as happens in wrestling.

It is theatre, it is not far removed from a sword fight in a play in form or function.
    In my books acrobats are athletes.
    Dancers, well that depends on the dance type. Classical ballet, nope. Nothing they do on physical preparation, that cannot be accomplished with Yoga.
    And I wouldn't call Yoga a sport.
    Others might, I can see that.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my books acrobats are athletes.
    Does not make trapeze artistry (I have no idea what it is supposed to be called) a sport though and nobody would class it as a sport.

Dancers, well that depends on the dance type. Classical ballet, nope. Nothing they do on physical preparation, that cannot be accomplished with Yoga.
    Have you seen those male ballet dancers spinning those women around? That takes more than the Lotus Position.

10+ Year Old Account
    They also made Triple H and Rollins change the pedigree. Original pedigree triple h would hold on to their arms the whole time and they couldn't do anything to brace themselves for the fall. Now they've made it so during the pedigree when triple h jumps he lets go of their arms so that they can brace themselves. They made seth rollins do it too. I don't remember when they made the change though.
    or that...

On that note...
    Owen. Sucks he fell to his death during a PPV years ago.

or that...

On that note...
    Owen. Sucks he fell to his death during a PPV years ago.
    Yeah I remember that. Only Undertaker and Kane are allowed to do pile drivers now. The tombstone. Nobody else on the roster is allowed to do them.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Does not make trapeze artistry (I have no idea what it is supposed to be called) a sport though and nobody would class it as a sport.
    indeed, correct.

Have you seen those male ballet dancers spinning those women around? That takes more than the Lotus Position.
    You've been reading the Kama Sutra again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't be any worse than people who watch realitytv. Too many of those goober fans think that shit is real for realz.

Yeah I remember that. Only Undertaker and Kane are allowed to do pile drivers now. The tombstone. Nobody else on the roster is allowed to do them.
    That Cena and Punk match where Punk used it was better than the wrestlemania main event that year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Can't be any worse than people who watch realitytv. Too many of those goober fans think that shit is real for realz.
    I beg to differ.
    Wrestling fans know exactly that it is orchestrated.
    They're engaging in very active debates on the internet too, on the various fan sites and forums, discussing dream matches and how the creative departments of the franchises either are good or suck.
    Every wrestling fan knows about WWE creative and their feats on story telling.

Whereas Reality TV shows have plenty of fans that think it's all real.. Because Real comes from Reality lol
    that doesn't mean how all reality tv shows are scripted. But most are, and their fanbase is usually in denial.

Deleted
    maybe because the "actors" are so bad (no really sooooo bad) that it is impossible for most to actually feel immersed. whoa it's really bad. so bad that maybe it induces eyerolling to others. I remember watching the wrestling-related Supernatural episode from the recent season and laughed at the extra cheesy stunts they performed - only to find out later that this was actually an accurate portrayal! By the way, one of the 'fighters' actually gave away his soul to win the 'title' which brings me to another point:

movie actors get out of their role, they do not pretend that their movie is real. (the following might only appear to me, though) but wrestlers seem to want to convince you that their whole business is real. there even is a title to be won, wrestlers "provoke" themselves outside of the ring

watch the related South Park episode (how comes there is always a related South Park episode backing up my opinion?) and tell me how you think about wrestling afterwards.

Another question you might or might not want to answer: Do you think Wrestling fans' IQ/earnings are above, at or below average? Honestly.

That's a little weird.
    Stuff like that..
    To be fair to the WWE doctors they were vindicated when another independent doctor came out and basically realized that Bryan's brain was not going to survive much more impacts meaning he had to retire. Plus they were also being extra careful after CM Punk having that infection that went undiagnosed for 6 months and nearly killed him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneFrostFire View Post
    Another question you might or might not want to answer: Do you think Wrestling fans' IQ/earnings are above, at or below average? Honestly.
    Probably above.
    WWE isn't cheap.
    A lot of merchandise, a lot of PPVs (one every month).
    If you're a hardcore WWE fan, that's quite costly.

Probably above.
    WWE isn't cheap.
    A lot of merchandise, a lot of PPVs (one every month).
    If you're a hardcore WWE fan, that's quite costly.
    I've always wanted to get one of those nice replica title belts that they sell on wwe shop. I Just never had $400 to afford it.

#IStandWithGinaCarano