Deleted
    There were a lot of "experiments" on Nost regarding specs. Some people tried Boomkins, Shadow Priests, Feral Druids, Arcane Mages, Prot Paladins, Elemental Shamans etc. The problem with most dps specs (and prot paladins) was the mana issues. All of them ran out of mana too fast to be useful in any raid (or required too specific gear, which was usually given to other classes). People tend to forget that mana actually existed back then (for DPSers, too!). It wasn't all that much about competitive numbers, although only mages and rogues (and some warriors) pulled the highest numbers in Naxx and were the only DPSers most guilds took. You COULD take the sub-par specs in raids, but why would you? There was also the 10? debuff limit on targets, so Afflocks were screwed (I don't think they were competitive at one point either); some would say that SPriests were viable for the shadow dmg taken debuff, but Afflocks being what they are, and a single priest could spec into shadow to get that and go full holy anyway. I don't remember if Destro or Demo were viable, I don't think so?
    Last edited by mmoc89b6e6865b; 2016-06-09 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goibonuden View Post
    Most raids used boomkin in AQ/naxx. Very rare in MC/bwl due to going oom without great gear. Did you play vanilla?
    Yes I did. Ofc does a boomy on a "private server" get gear *wink* - now try that live (12 years ago) when you have to compete with 4 other cloth wearers....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    You didn't either then, do you remember stats such as +Nature/Shadow/Arcane damage? No of course you don't, congratulations for (once again) contributing fuck all to the thread.
    Ofc I do silly, whats next you wanna ask for resi? Congratulations for ([b]once again[/b]) contributing fuck nothing to this thread!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You can say whatever you wish in this thread but some of us WERE raiding moonkins back in Vanilla and we remember quite well the shit we had to deal with to try and prove ourselves and get gear.
    Excactly! well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Yes I did. Ofc does a boomy on a "private server" get gear *wink* - now try that live (12 years ago) when you have to compete with 4 other cloth wearers....

Excactly! well said!
    It slays me that the people that only have experience on Nost try and claim it is like Vanilla was 10+ years ago. Everything from Vanilla was known by the time Nost rolled around so of course people had a great idea of what specs were viable, what the best setups were, mods were more advanced and so on. You weren't dealing with the same class/spec bullshit that many of us had to go through in Vanilla. You knew going in how OP warriors/rogues were (look at their breakdown of players, it is fucking funny as hell). So many classes on Nost had pathetic representations and yet they try and make it sound like it is true vanilla.

The problem is that if Legacy was to happen and if few or no changes were made you'd see the same breakdowns in classes/specs that you saw on Nost so in other words better learn how to play a warrior or rogue. I'm not sure that would be great for Legacy but hell I don't think Legacy should happen in the first place.

Only way you got to play boomkin 12 years ago is if you were sleeping with the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Only way you got to play boomkin 12 years ago is if you were sleeping with the GM.
    Even then you'd be limited to dungeons only.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Even then you'd be limited to dungeons only.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure if you were giving out poon, you'd get to at least nef.
    Oh the vanilla drama stories were great. P*ssy for purples. The good ol days.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Nah, I'm pretty sure if you were giving out poon, you'd get to at least nef.
    Oh the vanilla drama stories were great. P*ssy for purples. The good ol days.
    haha yeah reminds me of that one post that made the rounds, think it was some chick on craigslist giving out sex for gold or carries or something.

haha yeah reminds me of that one post that made the rounds, think it was some chick on craigslist giving out sex for gold or carries or something.
    I remember the one who supposedly put out for a flying mount in BC. http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/9...80fe3d1006.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    I remember the one who supposedly put out for a flying mount in BC. http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/9...80fe3d1006.jpg
    Oh goodness, what has this world come to......

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Hahah yeah I think that is the one

Deleted
    I don't remember if Destro or Demo were viable, I don't think so?
    The spec to go in vanilla with warlock for raid was SM/ruin (shadow mastery + ruin), when you didn't need to tank (in that case you went for demonology spec). And yes it was viable, warlocks did good DPS with that spec, never ran OOm, were putting curses on the boss, provided healstone/ Soulstone, ...

There were a lot of "experiments" on Nost regarding specs. Some people tried Boomkins, Shadow Priests, Feral Druids, Arcane Mages, Prot Paladins, Elemental Shamans etc. The problem with most dps specs (and prot paladins) was the mana issues. All of them ran out of mana too fast to be useful in any raid (or required too specific gear, which was usually given to other classes).
    Almost everybody ran Oom fast, mana management was part of the gameplay. You had to take it into account and plan your raid group accordingly. Most hybrids DPS specs were actually support classes back in the day, trading a bit of DPS for utility.

The game wasn't about "bring the player not the class" back in the day. If you want " bring the player not the class" just play retail wow, you re not the type of player who'd enjoy vanilla servers.

At least in later expansions I wasn't really getting shunned for my class/spec choices.
    Yet it actually still happens. FOTM classes are still a thing and will always be.

Yeah NP let me grab my time machine so I try that. Also boomkin (and the druid in general) was actually a support class, if you were making caster groups in your raid you could use a few. While before naxxramas it didn't have innervate, since 1.11 patch it became a much more viable option.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-06-10 at 09:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    3 hunters per 40 man raid - TRANQ SHOT ROTATION, PLAYER **XYX** NEXT!

Also, anything pre naxx didn't require the min/maxing of warrior/rogue stacking. Almost all the encounters could be done with 20 competent players + 10-20 additional warm bodies.

Hell, ONE disgustingly-geared warrior as shown below could hard-carry on numerous fights:

We had 5-6 thunderfuries in our guild before naxx came out. Patchwerk died on our first night after we forced our mages to spec fire for rolling ignites (they had all been frost for C'thun and had grown too fond of survivability and control, hehe).
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2016-06-10 at 02:09 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-talks-wor...mor-1781753136

Good discussion at the top of that article about the Nost meeting and legacy server obstacles.
    Last edited by Jerichofr; 2016-06-10 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    The spec to go in vanilla with warlock for raid was SM/ruin (shadow mastery + ruin), when you didn't need to tank (in that case you went for demonology spec). And yes it was viable, warlocks did good DPS with that spec, never ran OOm, were putting curses on the boss, provided healstone/ Soulstone, ...
    This is what I remember as well. Life tap was also a great ability for us as we could limit our OOM (be nice to your healers)

Because of our decent utility Warlocks were wanted for the most part. Plus we had a couple fights we were mandatory.

The debuff limit changed from 8 to 16 pretty early in the raid cycle for normal guilds so it was not that big of a deal for affliction. You could provide coe/cos use corruption and shadowbolt your way to pretty good DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

It slays me that the people that only have experience on Nost try and claim it is like Vanilla was 10+ years ago. Everything from Vanilla was known by the time Nost rolled around so of course people had a great idea of what specs were viable, what the best setups were, mods were more advanced and so on. You weren't dealing with the same class/spec bullshit that many of us had to go through in Vanilla. You knew going in how OP warriors/rogues were (look at their breakdown of players, it is fucking funny as hell). So many classes on Nost had pathetic representations and yet they try and make it sound like it is true vanilla.

The problem is that if Legacy was to happen and if few or no changes were made you'd see the same breakdowns in classes/specs that you saw on Nost so in other words better learn how to play a warrior or rogue. I'm not sure that would be great for Legacy but hell I don't think Legacy should happen in the first place.
    Did pro-legacy people even play 2004-2005 Vanilla or just Nost?

If Blizzard doesn't release 1.12 it will be a shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    This is what I remember as well. Life tap was also a great ability for us as we could limit our OOM (be nice to your healers)

Because of our decent utility Warlocks were wanted for the most part. Plus we had a couple fights we were mandatory.

The debuff limit changed from 8 to 16 pretty early in the raid cycle for normal guilds so it was not that big of a deal for affliction. You could provide coe/cos use corruption and shadowbolt your way to pretty good DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Did pro-legacy people even play 2004-2005 Vanilla or just Nost?

If Blizzard doesn't release 1.12 it will be a shitshow.
    I think that's one of the biggest things. Most "anti" legacy people actually played vanilla, most "pro" legacy people played nost with the broken, bandaged code.

Anyway whatever. I'm sure all the warriors/rogues on nost would've loved vanilla. Prob too many people trying to relive world of roguecraft and pat/maydie fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    I think that's one of the biggest things. Most "anti" legacy people actually played vanilla, most "pro" legacy people played nost with the broken, bandaged code.
    Anti-legacy, and I definitely played Vanilla. I fit your description there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    That's actually an interesting thing to say. I said that because I was a raiding SM/ruin lock back in vanilla, but everyone was displeased that I wasn't Affli. I remember it because my Raid Leader was also a lock and we talked about this extensively (as much as my young mind then could process anyway). I guess he was the one that was in the wrong.

EDIT: No, wait, I was thinking of something else. Ignore the above

Almost everybody ran Oom fast, mana management was part of the gameplay. You had to take it into account and plan your raid group accordingly. Most hybrids DPS specs were actually support classes back in the day, trading a bit of DPS for utility.
    Yes (especially mages from the "pure" DPS), but the situation was worse for hybrids. Boomkins had no way to regen mana, so they had to portion their DPS accordingly, while almost all pure DPSers could go all out all the time (if such a thing was required). The utility that they were bringing didn't outweigh the cons and it was almost no different from what resto/holy could bring. Add that to the fact that most people gave gear to the pure DPSers before the hybrid ones and the gap was immense. There was also the problem that Shadow Priests only had Mind Flay, SW:P and Wand to DPS with, Mind Blast was off limits because it generated a bajillion threat and nothing short of a Taunt could peel the mob/boss off the priest. I'm saying this from the perspective of the standard situation all those years ago, maybe people found a way around those limitations in Nost.
    Last edited by mmoc89b6e6865b; 2016-06-10 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post

Good discussion at the top of that article about the Nost meeting and legacy server obstacles.
    I wasn't expecting much, but this was actually pretty good - some answers get us closer to what happened with WoD, and the specifics of why legacy servers will be hard, and why Nost's code can't be used. Not that the usual suspects in this thread will read that, and of course they'll say they're lying.

Key comment:

Chilton: Yeah, and we certainly hold onto hope that some day we’ll be able to do that.

Translation: there's nothing planned, and they're not committed to doing it at this time. "Soon™" is more concrete than "some day". Blizzcon announcement? Not happening.

The usual suspects will interpret this differently, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I wasn't expecting much, but this was actually pretty good - some answers get us closer to what happened with WoD, and the specifics of why legacy servers will be hard, and why Nost's code can't be used. Not that the usual suspects in this thread will read that, and of course they'll say they're lying.

Key comment:

Chilton: Yeah, and we certainly hold onto hope that some day we’ll be able to do that.

Translation: there's nothing planned, and they're not committed to doing it at this time. "Soon™" is more concrete than "some day". Blizzcon announcement? Not happening.

The usual suspects will interpret this differently, of course.
    Two years from now will be the Legacy....I mean Boat expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post

Yeah, that's a good article about Legacy servers and the upcoming expansion. A very good read in fact. Recommend it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."