Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I don't think you should be able to get POTG with your ultimate active.

Feels like 99% of all POTG is either Junkrat or Hanzo wiping the other team with their ultimates.
    It is getting to the point lately that I am lucky to get 2 people with Junkrat as in the games I am playing everyone seems to know to GTFO when you hear an ult cry out. If I get 2 it is usually because I made the tire come from an angle they don't expect or I am right in the middle of them when I launch it killing myself as well (overtime desperation move). I personally don't have a problem with a ult potg, ult potg's can be cool looking if done correctly.

If you are tired of ults showing up as Potg then your team needs to stop feeding ult kill counts by getting the fuck out (GTFO) when you hear an ult cry. It's like people who complain about, "Of course, another bastion potg!" and all I can respond with is, "Well stop feeding his potg footage by running into his bullets."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    I've had a few PoTG's in the last few days that didn't make any sense. Bastion on top of a payload not shooting just looking around got it once. Everyone was very confused on that one. I guess for Objective time maybe? It was weird. I had a torb play of the game where it started with me respawning and then my turret died without killing anyone. It was a PoTG for the dwarf shuffle I guess. I have been noticing more non-ult PoTG's over the last week though, maybe something changed behind the scenes there?
    I got one for Brawl mode when I was on Junkrat defending King's Row. It started like five seconds before the match started because I was standing doing nothing and then I started lobbing bombs over the wall and got two people. And that was it...literally. Everyone was like...what?

Since the last time they patched though I've seen a lot of much stranger PotGs than before. I've seen multiple times where someone got a lucky shot and killed one person during their ult and that took priority for PotG over someone wiping an entire team with an ult the same match. They definitely changed something with the algorithm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    It is getting to the point lately that I am lucky to get 2 people with Junkrat as in the games I am playing everyone seems to know to GTFO when you hear an ult cry out. If I get 2 it is usually because I made the tire come from an angle they don't expect or I am right in the middle of them when I launch it killing myself as well (overtime desperation move). I personally don't have a problem with a ult potg, ult potg's can be cool looking if done correctly.

If you are tired of ults showing up as Potg then your team needs to stop feeding ult kill counts by getting the fuck out (GTFO) when you hear an ult cry. It's like people who complain about, "Of course, another bastion potg!" and all I can respond with is, "Well stop feeding his potg footage by running into his bullets."
    I'm seeing a lot more creative uses of the Junkrat's wheel, it does have to be said; usually by going through buildings, up walls etc. In a similar vein, I'm not sure I've killed anyone with a D.Va ultimate for a while; it seems much more of a diversion tactic these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm seeing a lot more creative uses of the Junkrat's wheel, it does have to be said; usually by going through buildings, up walls etc. In a similar vein, I'm not sure I've killed anyone with a D.Va ultimate for a while; it seems much more of a diversion tactic these days.
    Saw some D.Va (intentionally or otherwise) herd 4 of the enemy team off the objective on Kings Row into a "trap" of McCree, Mei, and Winston by the little room on the left with the 75 Health in it by leaping her ulti onto the point forcing them to run for "cover"; which the team attributed to her even tho she didn't actually do any of the damage per se.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I think they just need to overhaul the entire system. Watching a Bastion hold left-click for 3 seconds isn't very fun, watching a Torbjörn be dead and get 3 kills isn't fun, watching Hanzo use ult and run behind a wall, getting 4 kills isn't fun.

Then again, getting an automated system to pick "fun to watch" moments would be stupidly hard and I'm not sure it's worth all the work they'd have to put in to make it work, even if I'd very much like it if they did.
    I think Torbjorn's turrets should get less weight than Torbjorn's actions himself. So it'll encourage the game to pick a PotG for Toblerone where he's actually actively doing something.
    Putin khuliyo

disable potg option is missing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post

I've seen people just standing still when Hanzo uses his Ult.

Like damn, bitches, move. You can see the fucking dragons coming. Last night I saw a D. Va self-destruct. I ran and hid behind a wall, rest of my team did not. Guess who died? Not fucking me!

Junkrat's wheel? Come on 76! Shoot that shit and ruin his day!
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I don't think you should be able to get POTG with your ultimate active.
    I definitely love seeing Plays that are non-ults but a lot of PotG that are from ultimates are well deserved since it still usually takes strategy and good timing to pull one off and not get killed or interrupted in the middle of it.

Besides, if they prevented ults from getting picked, we'd have a shitton of boringass Plays all the time.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember, PotG isn't just down to kills; it factors in stopping ults, and weighs fights on capture points more heavily to boot. If you kill a High Nooning McCree on the capture point before he fires, that could beat out a triple-kill somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just remember, PotG isn't just down to kills; it factors in stopping ults, and weighs fights on capture points more heavily to boot. If you kill a High Nooning McCree on the capture point before he fires, that could beat out a triple-kill somewhere else.
    I actually have an excellent example of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGAJgblGMk I was recon mode Bastion and took out a Junkrat wheel on the point that otherwise would have killed four people (...who admittedly ate a Hanzo dragon moments later as per the end of the clip, but yes) which got me a Lifesaver PotG.

Watching Torbjorn do nothing in a potg is still funny to me, please don't change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spagetto View Post
    My friend had a play of the game with Roadhog that involved him walking around and then throwing a hook at a Reinhardt that did 1% of his health and killed him, it ended one second later with him shooting a Hanzo with his right click and not even killing him.

A lot of WTF's were thrown out in Match chat.
    Actually a few WTFs of a WM just doing 2 snipes several seconds apart on not very fast moving things. I pointed out that one of those things was a wheel, the other was a "Justice rains from... urgh". Interrupting 2 ultimates that basically saved the entire team, twice over, is actually quite a big deal, however easy it was to actually pull off.

Yeah PotG is pretty wonky. Sometimes the cards are pretty wonky too.

Like when a Torb has 4 gold medals for damage and objective play and they give him a card for armor packs lol.

But it's all just for fun...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People keep saying that the PotG is supposed to be fun to watch. Given the abilities and situations in the game, that may be the case but it also may be where nothing fun to watch happens. I get tired of watching Bastions sit and spin or wildly fire off cannons and kill 4 people as PotG, but it is what it is.

I think the reason it's so 'controversial' is because of the presentation, which they admitted they are working on. For starters, it needs to be in cinematic format, not first person. We should see the whole battlefield, with a good camera angle on the person getting the play. It would help to know more of what was going on. Secondly, it needs to be more upfront about why this was play of the game. Just saying 'Shutdown' or whatever the special ones are isn't good enough.

I would think that actually laying out the points they got during the play as they happen would be awesome. Each time they did something, the points would pop up with the category in real time so you know why this added up to PotG. This would include any late round or on the point bonuses.

I also think it would be nice to see a list of top plays and their point totals on the medal screen. Something like:

Plays of the Game
    1) Bastion - 4x Multikill - Late Game - Payload Defense - 1000 pts
    2) Reaper - 3x Multikill - Payload Offense - 750 pts
    3) Reinhardt - 2x Multikill - 500 dmg shielded - Shutdown - 725 pts

etc, etc.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    People keep saying that the PotG is supposed to be fun to watch. Given the abilities and situations in the game, that may be the case but it also may be where nothing fun to watch happens. I get tired of watching Bastions sit and spin or wildly fire off cannons and kill 4 people as PotG, but it is what it is.

I think the reason it's so 'controversial' is because of the presentation, which they admitted they are working on. For starters, it needs to be in cinematic format, not first person. We should see the whole battlefield, with a good camera angle on the person getting the play. It would help to know more of what was going on. Secondly, it needs to be more upfront about why this was play of the game. Just saying 'Shutdown' or whatever the special ones are isn't good enough.

I would think that actually laying out the points they got during the play as they happen would be awesome. Each time they did something, the points would pop up with the category in real time so you know why this added up to PotG. This would include any late round or on the point bonuses.

I also think it would be nice to see a list of top plays and their point totals on the medal screen. Something like:

Plays of the Game
    1) Bastion - 4x Multikill - Late Game - Payload Defense - 1000 pts
    2) Reaper - 3x Multikill - Payload Offense - 750 pts
    3) Reinhardt - 2x Multikill - 500 dmg shielded - Shutdown - 725 pts

etc, etc.
    I think those things would risk severely promoting degenerate play in pursuit of these things, instead of winning the actual match as a team.

I'd rather watch Torbjorn lying dead for 12s at the end of the match, than play with people who know how to actively pursue their 12s of fame and focus solely on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think those things would risk severely promoting degenerate play in pursuit of these things, instead of winning the actual match as a team.

I'd rather watch Torbjorn lying dead for 12s at the end of the match, than play with people who know how to actively pursue their 12s of fame and focus solely on that.
    Maybe, maybe not. Additionally, ranked play won't have anything like that going on so I don't know that it matters. Quick play should be about having fun once there are more competitive modes. Last night I had a team that silently went along with all choosing Zarya, then all choosing Mei, then all Choosing Winstons. We wrecked first game, lost second game hard, then all switched at the last minute to 'real' comp and defended a payload that had 1m left to it for 7 minutes.

It was probably the most epic time and most fun I've had since the game launched. I don't want to see that every game, but I also don't want that to not happen. Some people would argue that is a place for Brawl, but Brawl is forced for everyone so it's not as interesting.

They have to balance making the game fun and rewarding in various aspects. Sometimes that means highlighting people for their deeds. If someone is actively going for a play of the game, unless they are doing nothing else the rest of the time but hiding then they are still helping your team. Think of it like a BG in WoW. Do some people really just go for max healing or damage without trying to win the game? Maybe, but usually that's going to help you more than hurt you.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, maybe not. Additionally, ranked play won't have anything like that going on so I don't know that it matters. Quick play should be about having fun once there are more competitive modes. Last night I had a team that silently went along with all choosing Zarya, then all choosing Mei, then all Choosing Winstons. We wrecked first game, lost second game hard, then all switched at the last minute to 'real' comp and defended a payload that had 1m left to it for 7 minutes.

It was probably the most epic time and most fun I've had since the game launched. I don't want to see that every game, but I also don't want that to not happen. Some people would argue that is a place for Brawl, but Brawl is forced for everyone so it's not as interesting.
    Ranked play is only ever going to be a very minority thing; but in Quick Play, people still want to win. Same in WoW - Arena/RBGs are a tiny proportion of players, while PvP overall is something like 60% of population participate in with some regularity. I've been in a few ridiculous games, with 4 or 5 Torbjorns or 4 Reinhardts; and yes they're amusing for 7 minutes - but if every game was that, it'd get old incredibly fast. The beauty of the game is that people work things like that out, so they don't work for long so it never becomes a norm.

They have to balance making the game fun and rewarding in various aspects. Sometimes that means highlighting people for their deeds. If someone is actively going for a play of the game, unless they are doing nothing else the rest of the time but hiding then they are still helping your team. Think of it like a BG in WoW. Do some people really just go for max healing or damage without trying to win the game? Maybe, but usually that's going to help you more than hurt you.
    I've been in a couple of games where people have pursued those things, and even though they were top damage, they were still pissy about losing. A particular player was bragging about their eliminations on Mei, in spite of my Pharah having done substantially more damage and importantly not been using a wall to block LOS for their team mates.

Mostly POTGs are at this time pretty mediocre, and yes you get some weird ones with Torbjorn's turrets, Hanzo and D.Va especially since the camera is following the player and not the action - although the latter two from a different perspective would most likely look a lot more interesting. But for every one of those, and every Bastion holding left click; there's a Pharah destroying the entire enemy team from behind the Payload, or Junkrat rolling a Wheel over a wall into the middle of the defensive point.

There's room for improvement, but not insofar as to try to encourage it at the expense of other things. A lot of the best ones come as much out of chance as they do from trying to engineer it. And the well engineered ones aren't an attempt to engineer a POTG, but an attempt to win the match.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ranked play is only ever going to be a very minority thing; but in Quick Play, people still want to win.
    But the problem will be that they should be 'encouraged' to move on to ranked if their primary goal is winning games. Kinda like Bovine said, one the real competitive mode is added, it starts to be a little silly to care so much about winning in quick play. People are going to rage about losing no matter what. I mean people freak out in the weekly brawls which are designed to try and force you to have fun. It's just the nature of PvP.

That doesn't really mean the game design should suffer to try and appease that level of player. If people want to go out of their way to be a superstar in quickplay when there is a ranked mode, there's nothing really wrong with that. I don't think the types of people that behave that way need any encouragement to be ridiculous. They will already try to do that, you know?

In any case, I'd prefer more maps and heroes along with bugfixes (though this game has very few) before any special snowflake additions.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    True, but some of that really is misplaced. Once Ranked is out, if someone is still messing around in Quick Play and raging about winning or losing, they're just a victim of their own misplaced expectations. Something that I see constantly in these games.
    I actually see surprisingly little. People get annoyed when they're rolled in 3 minutes or can't even get close to Point A, I totally understand that. Outside of that, most people seem pretty content, get the clock under a minute to go and you're generally pretty happy; get both sides on 99% in the 12th round of Overtime and it's the best game ever, win or lose.

Yeah, one game I had a puggie bitch at me about, "Playing Mei and not ice walling, lol noob" but really...in complete pugs where there's little communication and even less listening, ice walls are just going to end up fucking something up as often as they help.

That and I always wonder why Mei players on defense put up ice walls in front of the payload. It doesn't stop the payload, and aren't you just helpfully covering our advance for us?

I think the only time I really use ice wall in pugs is to do annoying shit like pin myself in a corner on defense points and hold it while my team rezzes or something.
    I've seen good Meis use the Icewall to block off Mercy or Lucio from half their team, or wall in Snipers. But yeah, mostly they're awful and worse than AFK :/

- - - Updated - - -

But the problem will be that they should be 'encouraged' to move on to ranked if their primary goal is winning games. Kinda like Bovine said, one the real competitive mode is added, it starts to be a little silly to care so much about winning in quick play. People are going to rage about losing no matter what. I mean people freak out in the weekly brawls which are designed to try and force you to have fun. It's just the nature of PvP.

That doesn't really mean the game design should suffer to try and appease that level of player. If people want to go out of their way to be a superstar in quickplay when there is a ranked mode, there's nothing really wrong with that. I don't think the types of people that behave that way need any encouragement to be ridiculous. They will already try to do that, you know?

In any case, I'd prefer more maps and heroes along with bugfixes (though this game has very few) before any special snowflake additions.
    That works for team players, I personally wouldn't touch Ranked in anything short of a full team option.

I don't think I've ever seen a potg that I thought was genuinely the play of the game, don't place much stock in it.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh