10+ Year Old Account
    RIP Mr. Hockey

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    RIP Mr. Hockey
    I don't think I've ever come across someone so willing to say hello to fans. Saying that I was glad I was able to meet Gordie Howe. Although the player I wanted to be when I started playing hockey was Jean Beliveau (who I also got to meet). Most older people I know have a story that involves him.

That being said, 2016 is the year of death for people who contributed to society. I'm afraid to see who else dies this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    I don't think I've ever come across someone so willing to say hello to fans. Saying that I was glad I was able to meet Gordie Howe. Although the player I wanted to be when I started playing hockey was Jean Beliveau (who I also got to meet). Most older people I know have a story that involves him.

That being said, 2016 is the year of death for people who contributed to society. I'm afraid to see who else dies this year.
    Living here in Detroit I met him a few times, surprise of your life is seeing Mr. Hockey walk casually into the grocery store and start talking to you about the selection like he's known you a long time. Everyone here loved him, such a genuine guy and ambassador for the game, he lived one hell of a life. RIP.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post

He was such a great guy. I work for NBCSports and have gotten to meet countless players and ex-players. Gordie Howe was by far the most willing to just shoot the breeze about anything, from hockey to the traffic getting into the arena. He always had time for everyone, from fans to players to coaches. I remember setting up for interviews back when I was just a cameraman, and Gordie was sitting there getting mic'd up. There was a parade of people wanting to come in and have a word with him. And the best part was his wife was right there every step of the way, and everyone wanted to talk to her too.

Never a good day when an icon passes, and even worse when he was genuinely an amazing human being.

He was such a great guy. I work for NBCSports and have gotten to meet countless players and ex-players. Gordie Howe was by far the most willing to just shoot the breeze about anything, from hockey to the traffic getting into the arena. He always had time for everyone, from fans to players to coaches. I remember setting up for interviews back when I was just a cameraman, and Gordie was sitting there getting mic'd up. There was a parade of people wanting to come in and have a word with him. And the best part was his wife was right there every step of the way, and everyone wanted to talk to her too.

Never a good day when an icon passes, and even worse when he was genuinely an amazing human being.

One of my favorite commercials.
    Just crazy how long the dude played.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I have a cousin (2nd cousin) who used to play for the Rangers, he has been retired for at least 25 years now though. I doubt you would have ever met him but who knows. I know he runs a business helping players represent themselves rather than having agents in the NHL out of New York. He nearly killed Al Iafrate when he launched him into the stanchions at Maple Leaf Gardens. I know he has done some broadcasting work in the past as well, so maybe you have heard of him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Laidlaw

Gordie was a legend though, I wish I had been around to see him play in his prime. I don't think anyone today could match what guys like him have done for hockey.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2016-06-13 at 12:50 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Martin Jones is a monster, every one of these saves has been huge tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Martin Jones is a monster, every one of these saves has been huge tonight
    Not so sure he doesn't deserve the Conn Smythe even if they lose this game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bit of a joke, this would have been a blowout sweep if it had not been for Martin Jones. His team couldn't score worth shit on a shaky goalie the last 2 games but he made huge save after huge save. The ice was completely tilted this entire series outside of maybe? 5 periods. Crosby had a good series but fuck, he didn't ever score a goal. He was what, 11 points behind the leading scorer in the playoffs? Offense isn't everything but it should mean something that he could not solve Martin Jones. I don't know what happened to San Jose here, they played terribly this entire series. I think the first 2 games they were trying to play Pittsburgh's game and got burned, then didn't get back to their roots that got them here. Pavelski played like hot garbage and not many of the Sharks actually did play a great series besides Jones.

Also Phil the Thrill wins the cup immediately after being traded from Toronto. It's almost as if he is NOT a coach killer like fuckwit Steve Simmons says. Happy for him, and so happy all these moronic media members from Toronto get to eat crow after roasting the guy his entire stay in Toronto.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2016-06-13 at 03:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In regards to Phil the Thrill. He's more comfortable when he isn't the centre of attention.

I'm just glad hockey is over. It's nicely spaced out, the draft and then free agency. That was probably the last time we see Fleury in a Pens jersey.

Frankly I think San Jose buckled under the pressure, which is why they played poorly. Face it, the leadership of San Jose hasn't been there, and say what you will about Crosby, but he has at least been there before.

San Jose to me just never adjusted to how they were being defend. When they did get chances they just tried to be too perfect or they let the moment get them.

They also kept trying to cycle out high and blast it, Pittsburgh just sat in shooting lanes and blocked those shots. San Jose just never adjusted to that.

At least they took it to 6 after game 4. Feelsbadman, and fuckin' Jones. Is he a UFA yet? lol
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Carolina signed a 3 year rookie deal with Sebastian Aho!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Also Phil the Thrill wins the cup immediately after being traded from Toronto. It's almost as if he is NOT a coach killer like fuckwit Steve Simmons says. Happy for him, and so happy all these moronic media members from Toronto get to eat crow after roasting the guy his entire stay in Toronto.
    Our sports media is an embarrassment second to only Philadelphia, but you know now they'll just say "Kessel had it easy, was only up against 3rd or 4th liners while Crosby and Malkin did the harder job" because they will never be able to admit they are complete and utter idiots who have less business being in their field than an average blogger.

I think this might be the first time I watched less than 1 period of the Stanley Cup Final. I was all over round 1 (as is tradition), and parts of round 2, but I just got stupid busy the last month or so :/ Sad about Howe, but it's nice to see a guy still so beloved by hockey fans all over the world.

As for the Conn Smythe, did Crosby win it because there were 3 Sharks ahead of Kessel and Murray's #s (while good) were not mind-blowing like Thomas 5 years back? Did he really deserve it? I have no clue (again, didn't watch hardly any of it).

Draft is in 11 days. Hurray something to look forward to.

So in a year where the Capitals have the best record, best Goalie, and have the league's leading goal scorer, we still have to watch our hated archnemesis win a Stanley Cup after firing their coach midseason.

Think I'm done with Hockey. Not gonna watch a game next season.

15+ Year Old Account
    Carolina signed another young Finn, Aleksi Saarela. o_O
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any awards predictions? I think Holtby will win the Vezina, Kane gets the Hart, Panarin for Calder, Norris to Karlsson, and Jack Adams has to be Barry Trotz. Washington was downright dominant in the regular season, by far the best team from game 1 to game 82. I don't think this one should even be close, tired of it going to the most improved team every year as much as I loved Bob Hartley getting it last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    All is pretty much the same. The only issue I have is Karlsson getting the Norris. Since Lindstrom has retired the Norris has become the best offensive defenseman award. Aside from Chara winning the one year. Jack Adams has to be Barry Trotz. He took an already good team and turned it into a titan of a team. Where every single night they played they were expected to win. That's pretty ludicrous, I mean the only other comparable team in recent history has to be Germany (national football) or the Golden State Warriors of this year.

I don't think there was really a team that was most improved this year. I mean the case could be made for Mike Sullivan. But most people expected the Panthers to do better than they did last year. Every other team preformed to expectations or they fell short (in the case of LA, Anaheim, St Louis, Chicago).

I figured the only teams disappointed with their results are western teams that were expected to be juggernauts in the playoffs that ended up being eliminated early.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normally I'd agree but Karlsson was insane this season on a very poor Senators team. He carries whichever guy he is partnered with and drives possession better than every single player on the team except Mark Stone. He played nearly half the game too. And the fact that he scored 82 points cant be ignored, that's the most by any D since Leech 20 years ago iirc. If the Sens had made the playoffs he would have been nominated for the Hart.