Page 91 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    I'm not understanding the update MMO-Champion just released; if the movie spent $160million, why does it need triple that to break even?
    Because there are also marketing costs and also the studio doesn't get 100% of the box office.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Just saw it, brief notes on how I felt about it

Cons: The humans city was a bit meh, and some of the armor could use polishing. It is one of the few movies that could do with being longer as you get bits and pieces of characters but it doesn't have the time to go in depth (which also made it feel a bit disorienting as it moved rapidly through scenes).

Pros: The orcs were AMAZING, you could see the feelings, they were visually phenomenal (the best CGI to date), the combat was awesome, and it had the best magic I have ever seen in a movie. The story was enjoyable, not amazing, not something brand new, but good, and it didn't have the typical happy ending.

Overall 8/10, if I wasn't a warcraft player would probably bump it down to 7/10.

Also Daniel Wu as Guldan was fucking amazing, and Ben Foster was a great Medihv too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

As a Warcraft fan it was awesome. As a huge movie fan in general, that shit was soooo messy and just not very well constructed. They should of focused on one faction predominately and worried about making the best film possible, making us care more about certain characters, and shouldn't of been concerned with making the best fan service possible. I don't get how any general person not a fan of Warcraft would give a shit about ANY of those characters or feel bad when they die. There was almost zero character build up or a single dialogue scene that lasted 2 minutes without switching. Awesome action/CGI, below average everything else. Basically, fantasy Transformers.

It got what it deserved. Best video game adaptation yet, but when the genre gets better, it'll be viewed as Fantastic Four (original) compared to Civil War.
    Last edited by merex760; 2016-06-10 at 09:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just watched the movie. The ratings it got is what it kind of deserves.

Actors did fine, and the fighting carried the film. The movie itself reminded me alot of Michael Bays crap work in transformers.

The movie should have been 3 hours, which would of gave more time for blizzard to work with instead of flopping out characters. For example, thrall was born around 20 min mark and was saved by Gul'dan by sucking out a deers soul and placing it into thrall instead of duraton saying thank you for saving my son. He didn't say anything. Then we go five minutes later into the film "After our first encounter with the big actors." Durotan was like "Gul'Dan killing everything. We must kill him and allie with the humans." Like the plot doesnt even get much better. and the horde dont know anything about the humans with in only 25 mins of the film. Heck, they just watched the humans kill their kind after meeting now the orcs are talking about forming an alliance with the humans. Nothing even made logical sense.

The story From Warcraft lacks more immersion then World of Warcraft. Which says alot, and ruined the movie alot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Good to see that Warcraft is crushing the pessimistic projections in the US as well.
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a flock of professional critics suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
    Relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds2vwZzy5gw

The movie has it's flaws, and might not be absolutely amazing, but it defenitely deserves sequels more than most movies out there.

I watched it last night, and at the time/driving back home I thought it was a 6.5-7/10. This morning a little while after waking up though, I got the incredible urge to see it again, so on a personal level I'd say it's a 7.5/10 for me. I am really hoping they release a directors cut with all the footage they had to remove though. I don't think it's a "great" movie, but it's no where near a bad movie, and was entertaining enough for me to want to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The marketing budget was massive(some would call it Legendary...). The break even point, as per all sources(do some googling), is around $450M at the box office. Legendary typically overspends on marketing. It's nothing new.
    Sigh, Why does do they keep doing this?
    They spend double the cost of the movie on marketing... and 99% of it will be completely wasted.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Saw it last week, movie was good solid 7/10 but could have used another 30-40 min for sure to build up the story more and work more on some characters.

The marketing budget was massive(some would call it Legendary...). The break even point, as per all sources(do some googling), is around $450M at the box office. Legendary typically overspends on marketing. It's nothing new.
    What a complete JOKE you are.

First it was 160 million to recoup the production costs, then after the first results of the EU launch came it was 300 million.

When the second day results of China came in (over 90 million for 2 days in the week), stampeding by the haters began: 350 million, nope, 420 million and now this lunatic talks about over 500 million to break even.

I tell you what: Warcraft needs 3.3467 Billion dollars to break even. Anything else is a loss.

oh ... and btw ... You DO know that the vast majority of theaters are OWNED by the same firm that owns Legendary in China ...

I tell you the worst thing in this world is a Warcraft hater.

15+ Year Old Account
    So is Alodi a girl now or did I miss something

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    So is Alodi a girl now or did I miss something
    Alodi is a complete deux ex machina because the writers forgot that Aegwynn (Medivhs mother) exists and is the one who actually warns the King about Medivh in the canon story.

I understand pretty much all the changes to the original story (even tho I dont agree with most) but this one.
    This one makes no sense.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Alodi is a complete deux ex machina because the writers forgot that Aegwynn (Medivhs mother) exists and is the one who actually warns the King about Medivh in the canon story.

I understand pretty much all the changes to the original story (even tho I dont agree with most) but this one.
    This one makes no sense.
    Yeah, seriously. Aegwynn would've made much more sense, and IF IT HAD TO BE ALODI for whatever reason..why female?

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    Because obviously the movie theaters take a cut, cost for the marketing etc is huge, but yes 500 sounds a bit high.
    Uuuh, movie theaters don't take a cut, they actually pay studios for the right to show movies, and the studios sent the theater promotional materials to display.

theaters take a very small cut of the ticket sales, but the majority of the ticket sales go back to the studios to cover the rental fee for the movie, which for large blockbuster movies can be millions of dollars.

this is also how a studio can calculate how much money they made opening weekend, by counting the theaters ticket returns.

all of the above is the reason why you pay 30 bucks for a 10 oz bag of popcorn, because the popcorn is how the theater pays their bills and staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    I have to say, I'm very surprised it has to reach 500m to break even. How the hell do movies like this expect to turn a profit.
    it's called Hollywood accounting (no really, google it)

movies that cost 160m to make, and get 500m from ticket sales technically do make a profit, but studios then inflate their costs or do crazy underhanded stuff that makes means the movie actually took a loss, like creating a shell company owned by the studio to actually make the movie, and when the shell studio bills the main studio, the bills exceed the actual cost of the movie itself, meaning the main studio didn't make a profit, but since the shell company is owned by the main studio, and it receives the payment, the main studio sees all the profit anyway.
    Last edited by BladedDingo; 2016-06-10 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Yeah, seriously. Aegwynn would've made much more sense, and IF IT HAD TO BE ALODI for whatever reason..why female?
    Perhaps she was supposed to be Aegwynn but in the last minute the studio said it was too complicated of a name, so Blizzard suggested Alodi as an alternative.

The budget was 160 million, where is the 500 million coming from? Even at high estimates it would break even before 320 million. While in reality for a movie like this the marketing is more likely to lie around 100 million.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2016-06-10 at 10:52 PM.

Watched it... Loved it... Screw the critics! The elves did look a bit weird though...

Only morons ever said it would take as much as it cost to make the movie to recoup production costs. I was saying $400+ since before the movie opened. I'm not a hater, I want a sequel. Are you confusing me with someone else? If the film cost $160M to make and only made $300M at the box office(and best case is they get 50% of that) then they wouldn't recoup that cost... Add in marketing and it's easily over $400M to recoup their costs. $450M is what's reported by professionals, not people on a message board...

- - - Updated - - -

Marketing costs... Reportedly they spend close to $100M just in China.
    Then you are suggesting they would have spent 140 million more in Europe and America, which is an extremely high number, especially when most of their marketing has been viral.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    Or get over yourself.
    I guess your the type of person that just wants to see the world burn am i right ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDRage View Post
    Watched it... Loved it... Screw the critics! The elves did look a bit weird though...
    They had the wrong eye color. Should have been blue but was purple. That bugged me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XDRage View Post
    Lol, especially the Asian one...

Critics are fucking horrible, they have no idea what a good movie is.