10+ Year Old Account

wtf is with these incorrect movie proffit estimates of warcraft

The Warcraft movie may have a $31M opening in the US. Projections in China now $200M-$250M. The movie needs $500M to break even.
    this is on the main page of this website^

back in mists of pandaria blizzard said the movie budget was 100mill
    but the movie was in production for 3 years so..
    google now shows as of 2016 that the budget was 160mill

if you add all the numbers mmo champ has posted.. they have already broken even when it released in china
    before it released in china it has 129.9mill and after china added 31mill that is 161mill something

so what's with all these incorrect estimates of 500mill to break even? their budget was not 500mill, their budget was 160mill they already paid all their bills for making the movie in 2 weeks

also
    i estimate they can make 250mill this year just from cinema alone i thought of this before reading other people saying the same thing
    as of yesterday blizzard already hit 161mill earnt(i added the numbers mmochamp posted before china release and added china onto it so if mmochamp posted the wrong numbers it's not my fault)
    Last edited by skannerz22; 2016-06-10 at 11:21 PM.
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

The filmmakers won't get 100% of the ticket sales. Also there is something called a marketing budget.

Apparently, marketing and advertising isn't included in the $160 million production cost and China takes 40% tax on movie ticket sales. Marketing can usually double the cost so it's about $320 million to break even plus 40% of say $200 million in Chinese ticket sales is another $80 so about $400 million is needed to break even.

The break even point for most movies is double the production cost. If we go by the original budget of $160M, that'd be $320M. However, Legendary may have spent more on marketing this movie so that's where the $500M figure is being derived. I personally think that figure is a bit high but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    Apparently, marketing and advertising isn't included in the $160 million production cost and China takes 40% tax on movie ticket sales. Marketing can usually double the cost so it's about $320 million to break even plus 40% of say $200 million in Chinese ticket sales is another $80 so about $400 million is needed to break even.
    blizzard just made around 500mill-700mill from overwatch selling 7 mill copies
    pretty sure blizzard already makes enough money to cover advertising
    they already reached the 160 production cost mark

there is no evidence of any numbers of advertising costs being seperate of that 160mill production cost
    100mill was blizzard budget as of 2012/2013 back in mop
    160mill is current known cost on google
    so obviously 60mill IS THE ADVERTISING ontop of that original 100mill budget back in mists of pandaria when it started filming

the original budget was not 160mill
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

10+ Year Old Account
    Post in the existing thread for Warcraft please, no need to make a new topic for everything. Closing this.

CLOSED.