Page 92 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just got done watching it and....I absolutely loved it! Awesome and absolute must watch for any Warcraft fan. Sets up a sequel nicely too.

Just awesome how they brought WoW to life. Loved seeing Stormwind, Ironforge, Karazhan, Blackrock Mountain, etc. Even laughed at Curator making an appearance.

The fight scenes were badass. The acting was great(although guy playing King Llane was kinda wooden). Music/sound was fantastic(stick around to the final credits ).

Overall Im very happy. HIGHLY reccomend for any WoW fan. I dont understand why the ratings on RT are so low. Even if youre not a Warcraft fan I dont see how the narrative coulda been confusing. My only complaint was the pacing through the first act was a bit too fast.

Duncan failed his goal of making the world both exciting for the fans and interesting to the non-fans.

As a fan I enjoyed myself through most of it, some of it cringey, some of it downright awful, but overall I did enjoy it. It's Warcraft, after all, cheesiness is what we've come to expect.

For people who aren't familiar to the universe... Wow, I just feel bad for them. The movie must have been a mess. Duncan doesn't explain half the shit happening and what is explained is quickly rushed through in a few sentences of dialogue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDRage View Post
    Watched it... Loved it... Screw the critics! The elves did look a bit weird though...
    Did anyone else notice the elf at the council had prosthetic ears that didn't match the actor's skin?? It was SO OBVIOUS!

I had fun watching it personally. Wasn't perfect, but still just a good, fun, and exciting movie. Loved the murloc too!

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it. Favorite was all of the little easter eggs. Loved the summoning stone they passed

sig made by BeastyBeauty

I think I missed the LEEROY moment though. When was it shouted?

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of the CGI was goofy - like when Blackhand snapped that soldiers neck in the final battle...looked so bad. But otherwise Orcs all looked very good.

Quote Originally Posted by BladedDingo View Post
    Uuuh, movie theaters don't take a cut, they actually pay studios for the right to show movies, and the studios sent the theater promotional materials to display.
    I don't believe this is true for overseas distribution.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got out of the theater. I give the movie an 8.5/10.

The magic effects and combat were superb. There were some truly brilliant moments that should stir the hearts of any Warcraft fan. I have a few minor problems with a couple lines of dialogue,but I really enjoyed the chemistry the main characters had when interacting in group combat. It takes me back to what I enjoy about five man dungeons with friends.

I really like the visual style of the movie. They went with bold and colorful and nice visual flair. No washed out Harry Potter blue/green filter on the lens and no ultra gritty stuff. It felt like WoW to me.

I feel that there's a couple places in the film that were fatiguing because of slow pace mixed with dark visuals during a depressing turn of events where another locale would've helped.Another familiar setting or two to keep that great vibe they had going for much of the film.

They had balls to take it high fantasy without the cheese factor that could bury a movie like this. I also respect the music. I was worried it'd be typical overboard action soundtrack stuff/overly loud and over scored,but it wasn't. The music was fantastic and fit perfectly.

The presentation of everything was just fantastic. The Orcs look better than any CGI characters I've seen in film to date,so that was very nice to see for myself.

A solid effort and well done. You know they cared when they made this. I enjoyed watching this with a group of WoW players I'd never met.

8.5/10

I really enjoyed the movie, it's great fun seeing the Warcraft universe come to life in movie form.
    I do understand how people can get seriously confused and overwhelmed by it though, especially if they don't know the lore. It looked like they just tried rushing as much as possible through everything that happens and it just barely connects. Let's hope for a better sequel where they can learn and improve upon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    I think I missed the LEEROY moment though. When was it shouted?
    In the director's cut

I enjoyed the movie but I can see how people not familiar with Warcraft would have a different opinion. There was practically no backstory on what was going on or any character development so idk how someone new to the story would be anything but confused as hell.

You have to factor in the production costs, the marketing costs, the distribution costs, the sales tax, etc.. Obviously, the film has already recouped the production costs, so without any additional facts, I would assert that they need to make an additional $100,000,000-$200,000,000 to turn a profit. Regardless, they're already in the process of smashing the records for game films, e.g. the Resident Evil series - which is the highest grossing game-based series - only grossed over $900,000,000 (which includes multiple films). To put things into perspective, Warcraft: The Beginning could top out at $500,000,000.

P.S. In my opinion, they went overboard with the CGI, but to each their own.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2016-06-10 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    Apparently, marketing and advertising isn't included in the $160 million production cost and China takes 40% tax on movie ticket sales. Marketing can usually double the cost so it's about $320 million to break even plus 40% of say $200 million in Chinese ticket sales is another $80 so about $400 million is needed to break even.
    posted by me before topic was locked blizzard just made around 500mill-700mill from overwatch selling 7 mill copies
    pretty sure blizzard already makes enough money to cover advertising
    they already reached the 160 production cost mark

there is no evidence of any numbers of advertising costs being seperate of that 160mill production cost
    100mill was blizzard budget as of 2012/2013 back in mop
    160mill is current known cost on google
    so obviously 60mill IS THE ADVERTISING ontop of that original 100mill budget back in mists of pandaria when it started filming

the original budget was not 160mill
    here is a glimpse into the past
    .....................blizzard has already broken even as of yesterday 161mill total earnt
    500mill is not broken even that's just greed
    Last edited by skannerz22; 2016-06-10 at 11:33 PM.
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    so obviously 60mill IS THE ADVERTISING
    Sweet summer child

.....................blizzard has already broken even as of yesterday 161mill total earnt
    Facepalming so hard.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

We spotted the fanboi.

There's all sorts of costs you aren't counting.
    -marketing
    -theaters aren't going to run a movie out of the goodness ouf their hearts without taking their share
    -everything else

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    I just got out of the theater. I give the movie an 8.5/10.

The magic effects and combat were superb. There were some truly brilliant moments that should stir the hearts of any Warcraft fan. I have a few minor problems with a couple lines of dialogue,but I really enjoyed the chemistry the main characters had when interacting in group combat. It takes me back to what I enjoy about five man dungeons with friends.

I really like the visual style of the movie. They went with bold and colorful and nice visual flair. No washed out Harry Potter blue/green filter on the lens and no ultra gritty stuff. It felt like WoW to me.

I feel that there's a couple places in the film that were fatiguing because of slow pace mixed with dark visuals during a depressing turn of events where another locale would've helped.Another familiar setting or two to keep that great vibe they had going for much of the film.

And who really cares how much money they spent and all that? They're in business to make money and I'm sure they'll cut enough of a profit to make a sequel. Beyond that, who gives a shit?

They had balls to take it high fantasy without the cheese factor that could bury a movie like this. I also respect the music. I was worried it'd be typical overboard action soundtrack stuff/overly loud and over scored,but it wasn't. The music was fantastic and fit perfectly.

The presentation of everything was just fantastic. The Orcs look better than any CGI characters I've seen in film to date,so that was very nice to see for myself.

A solid effort and well done. You know they cared when they made this. I enjoyed watching this with a group of WoW players I'd never met.

8.5/10
    Yep this is pretty much how I view it as well.

I think 90% of the people that are shitting on it are just straight up haters, or they went in already pre determined to hate on the movie so it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not saying its gonna win Oscars or something, but its a fun and overall really well made film. Perfect? Of course not, but what is?

Thanks to the old Gods the movie is a success.

For Azeroth!

that part broke my heart ngl

Quote Originally Posted by Exhuman View Post
    Thanks to the old Gods the movie is a success.

For Azeroth!

that part broke my heart ngl
    When they were honoring the dead King, I definitely felt something. Almost felt like tearing up. All those years of playing Alliance, that Ally pride just shot up I guess.

One thing people are failing to take into account is that while, yes, the chinese company that bought legendary gets a 40 percent tax from the chinese government, they also own most of the theaters the movie was shown in. This means that the company received all the movie ticket prices and the price of any food the people ate.