Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    What were the sloppy plot re-writes?
    Spoilering this whole post for obvious reasons.

I am 100% certain that due to the general pacing and exposition issue the entire film had that there was probably some internal disagreements over drafts of scripts. Due to this, I believe that Ogrim was originally going to be a Blackrock Orc (like he was supposed to be) but someone, some producer or executive or someone, I don't know, complained that making Ogrim of another clan and of split loyalty might be "too confusing" for audiences. So they made Ogrim a Frostwolf (stupid change but whatever no big deal really), but Ogrim turns on Durotan during the little 'peace talk', later citing he 'couldn't bring himself to betray his own people'. I believe this was originally supposed to be Ogrim being unable to turn against his Chieftain and that originally, it may have even been Ogrim who ratted them out (but this much is speculation). Of course this is nothing but a firmly educated guess but I'm quite certain, based on what I can gather, that this was a plot rewrite that they sort of sloppily changed. One reason for the change being sloppy could be because they made the decision to make Ogrim a Frostwolf (and therefore have no reason to be loyal to Blackhand) AFTER they began some of the 3-D rendering for the scene, meaning the best they could do was write in a sloppy "but I couldn't betray our people!" line to try and explain it. Also I'm sure a lot of the Medivh stuff went through some sloppy rewrites because his stuff is easily the weakest in the film (the whole scene with the black square thing was just fucking terrible, right down to the pitifully fucking generic-as-hell 'darkness is light' thing)

10+ Year Old Account
    The look on Doomhammers face when Durotan was being killed by Gul'dan felt really powerful to me too. You could tell he knew what Durotan was trying to do, but he was struggling not to intervene. Pretty great scene if you ask me.

There is a ton of cringe worthy mentions to go around another one was Gul'dan melee fighting Durotan it was just a face palm it had it's moments but made no sense if Gul'dan was throwing some shadow bolts it would have been a lot better in my books he's a magic user not a brawler.

Deleted
    i have to agree whit previous posts that durotans death was very well done, he even knew after the talk whit ogrim that he was not gonna come back, he went in there just to show all the other orcs what guldan really is, all the orcs care about is honor. even in the fight u can see in durotan that he is doing everything do provoke guldan to use his magic on him, even when hes more or less dead he rises up and calls out guldan, i cried like a bitch but i really enjoyed him, and i love the setup for thrall. and cant wait for the meeting when he recives his fathers tusk from ogrim

Mokgora is a no magic or weapons fight though, hence him getting shit for soul sucking him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kerghan View Post
    We forget... the storyline of the First War is kind of a joke. What's important is that events happen so they can set up future events. Medivh's return for the Third War doesn't have any emotional context without his betrayal here. Thrall's entire character is motivated by atoning for the sins of his father's generation. As it is, they're almost guaranteed to cut the Ner'zhul part of the Lich King story, because he isn't in this movie (though they could reinsert him, technically; the movie starts after his plot arc). You can't do Third War without at least INTRODUCING these characters.
    I strongly disagree with this!

This movie only touches a small part of the events of the first War. The most epic moment, the fall of Stormwind is not even there. The Last Guardian book is a great story that could, by itself, been and awesome film, and very little of it is in the movie. Many memorable moments. It would be a very different story, but one I would've loved to see as a movie. but nope. =/
    Then there's a lot of content from the orc side up to the point that they get to Azeroth.
    There's a lot of material for even 2 great films (not stretched like Hobbit) if they wanted to, just from some time before the opening of the portal to the end of the the First War.

But sure, from here on, things just get better and better up to War3 and then WotlK.

I agree the melee fight with Guldan was pretty stupid, honestly, lol. The death scene was alright, though. One of the stronger points of the film. Honestly, Guldan should have just immediately cheated, I feel it would've been better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    Mokgora is a no magic or weapons fight though, hence him getting shit for soul sucking him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I understand it is "No magic". A weapon is definitely allowed during the Mak'gora.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    There is a ton of cringe worthy mentions to go around another one was Gul'dan melee fighting Durotan it was just a face palm it had it's moments but made no sense if Gul'dan was throwing some shadow bolts it would have been a lot better in my books he's a magic user not a brawler.
    I didn't mind it at all. The take that shows him straight up, and suddenly looking more menacing and taller was really cool.

The story telling was shit on so many levels i could honestly write them all out for this entire night and into the morning. The movie should have started off in story telling mode explaining things like in LOTR a scene with Mannoroth giving the Fel energy to Gul'dan would have been amazing instead no explaining went into that what so ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    The story telling was shit on so many levels i could honestly write them all out for this entire night and into the morning. The movie should have started off in story telling mode explaining things like in LOTR a scene with Mannoroth giving the Fel energy to Gul'dan would have been amazing instead no explaining went into that what so ever.
    I agree that it would have been cool if they showed some quick clips of Mannoroth, Gul'dan, demon blood, and explaining it in the very start.

I 100% disagree about the rest though. I thought the story telling was awesome.

Warcraft - 8/10 (Very good)

Duncan Jones affectionately doesn't bullshit the audience with extensive setup or over glorification of the story; in the span of ten minutes he establishes the premise, the key characters and then goes straight to the action, no strings attached. The fast paced tone of the film is consistent throughout the film, as the story does not waste time showing a LotR travel montage just to get place to place; the story simply goes there in when it needs to (it's helped by the fact that fast-travel is canonical in the Warcraft universe, so transitions consists of either a quick five-ten second flying mount scene or an outright teleport). The dialogue is not pretentious and tells the audience exactly as much as required in as few words as possible. While this may deprive the story of depth or background lore, ultimately Jones knows the audience isn't here to smell the roses and digs right in to the meat and potatoes. Considering this is Warcraft - a setting that trades melodrama for spectacle - this is a change for the best. Still, it still feels like important scenes were cut, but fortunately this was just a result of a two hour theatrical release and an extended edition will be available on retail release.

Tonally and aesthetically, the Warcraft movie doesn't even bother with realism and embraces it's cartoonish nature in the form of colorful magic hardly seen elsewhere on the big screen and thick, bold equipment and locations. The story is keen to throw in heartwarming and funny moments here and there without losing sight of urgency, but never takes itself to seriously, another great choice.

As someone who hasn't bought a film on DVD in over four years, I will absolutely buy this film no questions asked, and I eagerly await a sequel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Movies with tons of exposition basically assume the viewer is retarded and need their hand held to be able to figure anything out. Like having the subtitle of Paris, France while showing the Eiffel tower. Sometimes you just have to accept that it is and go from there and not be upset cause you don't understand the why.

10+ Year Old Account
    6.5 or 7 out of 10. Liked it but something felt off about the movie . The pace felt weird . Hope there will be more Warcraft to come .
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Pakmanisgod View Post
    Movies with tons of exposition basically assume the viewer is retarded and need their hand held to be able to figure anything out. Like having the subtitle of Paris, France while showing the Eiffel tower. Sometimes you just have to accept that it is and go from there and not be upset cause you don't understand the why.
    It's called depth and creating a world. The entire movie was about Gul'dan and his fel energy and even the cinematic for WoD was Mannorth giving the blood to Gul'dan it's a incredibly bad ass moment. Yet in the movie it's left out entirely not even getting some of that sweet sweet lore and epicness.

It's sad but true...There isn't a single scene in the entire movie that trumped the WoD cinematic.

Deleted
    well i think duncan and co did the right thing, they did an easy story for people to follow witch will attract a larger auidence,
    and tbh the orcs look great but would a pit lord look good in the cinema 3 years ago when they made the movie ?, some orcs look iffy in a few scenes, imagen a big green pig lizzard thing whit a glowing head haha that would have been funny

Quote Originally Posted by IMloreeu View Post
    well i think duncan and co did the right thing, they did an easy story for people to follow witch will attract a larger auidence,
    and tbh the orcs look great but would a pit lord look good in the cinema 3 years ago when they made the movie ?, some orcs look iffy in a few scenes, imagen a big green pig lizzard thing whit a glowing head haha that would have been funny
    Have you even seen the Pit Lord in the WoD cinematic? It was extremely well done and you think it would have looked bad when they had 20X the budget? That's a big no.

10+ Year Old Account
    The orcs were honestly AMAZING.

I really liked Khadgar and Medivh, as well.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Also, that they left out the sacking of Stormwind was pretty awful for a lot of reasons. It was really too bad.

And that's my biggest gripe with the movie. Take Medivh for example, we're thrown into this world and someone's dead and Khadgar just goes "WELL THE GUARDIAN SHOULD TELL YOU." but doesn't explain what the guardians role is or what makes it important for them to be the one to share such news. That along with the lack of origin or even explanation of "The Fel." aside from what's basically "Yeah, it's bad magic." I truly feel a 10-15 minute introduction would have saved the movie from at least some harsh reviews.