Page 96 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I really was hoping this would be better than the trailers made it look. I really was.

2/10

Seriously, it's not the worst movie I've seen this year (hi, Batman vs Superman!), but it's close. Almost every major element of the movie failed. The acting from the human side was mostly bad, especially Khadgar. It's not entirely their fault though, because jesus I don't know how I would have managed to sell that dialogue. The pacing was off. Character development was abrupt where it happened at all. And the narrative felt both threadbare and bloated.

Plus, you know, green moses, who took up a disproportionate amount of screen time and added almost nothing to the narrative at hand.

The whole thing was a long, unfocused mess. I get that it was trying very hard to be earnest, but man it just did not hit the mark on any note.

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    I really was hoping this would be better than the trailers made it look. I really was.

2/10

Seriously, it's not the worst movie I've seen this year (hi, Batman vs Superman!), but it's close. Almost every major element of the movie failed. The acting from the human side was mostly bad, especially Khadgar. It's not entirely their fault though, because jesus I don't know how I would have managed to sell that dialogue. The pacing was off. Character development was abrupt where it happened at all. And the narrative felt both threadbare and bloated.

Plus, you know, green moses, who took up a disproportionate amount of screen time and added almost nothing to the narrative at hand.

The whole thing was a long, unfocused mess. I get that it was trying very hard to be earnest, but man it just did not hit the mark on any note.
    were you expecting shakespeare? good god, the khadgar actor was fine. Lothar was fine. Llayne was fine. Garona was fine.

Can i see your screen actors guild membership card please?
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    were you expecting shakespeare? good god, the khadgar actor was fine. Lothar was fine. Llayne was fine. Garona was fine.
    I'd have to respectfully disagree. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, or even Oscar-bait, just good acting. This didn't have much of that.

Lothar was fine- the actor playing him managed to sell the role. Llane really did not have much to do or say. Garona was not fine and one of her lines got laughter from half of my screening's audience ["I have never felt such pain..."]. And the guy playing Khadgar was just awful. Could not deliver a line to save his life.

Durotan was probably the best performance in the movie, and the guy playing him really nailed the physicality and voicework.

Can i see your screen actors guild membership card please?
    So now we're not allowed to criticize a movie unless we are employed by the industry? By that reasoning, you have no footing to praise it either, unless you can somehow scrounge up your directors guild membership for us to see.

Sadly, 3/10. It just wasn't good. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone. My reasons "heavy spoilers, Duh"

No one got any real character development. I mean, come on! For being one of the stars of the movie, Durotan got no development.

Orc clans were not fully explained as to why they were a thing.

The movie was Way to fast paced. They were trying to cram too much information into too little of a time frame. They needed Much longer imo to do this story Any justice.

The Draenei were never explained at all. Just seen. Same as the Night Elfs. Heard a few lines, but that was it.

Things just seemed out of place at times. Like the start with Zero context. Why even show us the humans and orc getting ready to battle? Saying "it wasn't always like this" Uh, from what we are Literally seeing, yeah, it really was always like that.

Things were never really explained until Much futher along in the story most of the time. Like Garona being a half breed. How the orcs were green and that Brown was their natural color.

Some details were just not added. What was the deal with the guardian? Why did Khadgar renounce his vows? "things no wow fan would even know about, and some wow fans".

Over all, the movie did Not do the story justice at all. Very poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I gave it a 7.5 or 8 because of twist if you rated it lower you are not a warcraft fan it was strictly made for fans who knew the story
    Last edited by Fearsom1992; 2016-06-11 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    Garona was not fine and one of her lines got laughter from half of my screening's audience ["I have never felt such pain..."].
    Do you mean "I'm sorry?"

Quote Originally Posted by ablock View Post
    I know it seems far-fetched to even think about at this time, but I have real trouble imagining a "Warcraft 3" movie.

It seems like entirely too much lore and characters to cram into a movie. The story of Arthas is a movie by itself, so how would you cram in the Burning Legion and the Orcs? Does anyone else think about this? Would this be better as a TV series?
    WC3 realistically needs its own trilogy.

Or at least 2 movies.

US opening weekend projection pulled back to $26.4M. Front-loading from presales had skewed the number upward earlier.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft...ce-1201770307/

Interesting explanation for what happened to the movie (basically, they took too long to get it out and missed the game's peak.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Like Garona being a half breed.
    We are told she is a half-breed in the very first scene she appears.

As a Warcraft player I loved the movie 10/10.

Now if I didn't play I think this movie was a bit of a disaster. Maybe like 4/10. Right down to the green makeup running out on Garona's nose in her last moments of the movie showing her, and her clearly brown nose coming through.

I feel bad for people that know nothing of the Warcraft universe. It throws tons of characters at you. You are in a world of magic, fel-magic, demons, invading orc armies from distant worlds, protectors that aren't. The "other" races which are seriously and after thought, and completely left out of the horde side.. with a glimmer on the alliance side. An utter mess with just a tinge of a linear plot to follow.

But again.. as a Warcraft player/fan this was epic and loved every minute of it. I think Lothar stole the show.
    Last edited by slime; 2016-06-11 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    We are told she is a half-breed in the very first scene she appears.
    Not what she is a half breed of. Just that she is one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fearsom1992 View Post
    I gave it a 7.5 or 8 because of twist if you rated it lower you are not a warcraft fan it was strictly made for fans who knew the story
    Warcraft fan. Knew the story. It sucked. Way to fast paced. No character development.

Its Never a good idea to market a movie More towards the fans if you want to gain new fans to the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Unfortunately.

Same here, player since 2007, I really would've wanted to entirely embrace this one with love.

But, the first half of the movie feels more like a series of clips. The scene change is a bit off, actually way off. The second part was pretty good. I enjoyed that.

The fights however, some of them felt dry the moment you started to look at the character in full focus in the middle of the screen doing his moves... I mean I can understand the little ones in some far away edges being weird but the guys gaining the centre picture.

Story wise, a lot of the introductory elements felt lacking. Not the ones in the movie but I mean the ones that weren't there at all.
    The world itself isn't really explained to you.

Overall, as a fan I really loved some moments, would rate it a 7/10, above average okay movie.

But if I'd critically have to review this thing... It's a 5. Average.

Also, NB! All the earlier BS running around the forums about artwork and effects, I call BS on.

The theatrical look of the entire thing was very good. Effects, armor, suits, city etc.

The manner of storytelling felt severely lacking more than once or twice or thrice though.

Deleted
    'D'UCK MURICANS REALLY. THey are going to doom this film by themselves.Freaking pathetic.It was an enjoyable film with its flaws mainly at the hasty first 30 minutes.But overall a very enjoyable fantasy film even for non fans(as my gf)

Great movie, most everyone saying it sucks hasn't even seen it yet lolol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Right down to the green makeup running out on Garona's nose in her last moments of the movie showing her, and her clearly brown nose coming through.
    There was no make up. Her green skin was all post production effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    There was no make up.
    But her alae (wings?) are still suspiciously pink. (And tusks translucent :facepalm

Watched the film today, very decent movie. Some scenes also had my eyes going all watery?! Wtf! Disgrace!

I would have loved to see some slight more background story - who's the king and his family, Draenei, Garona, how Gul'Dan came to be etc. Some kind of narrative voice in the beginning, parhaps?

Really loved Khadgar, and CGI - just wow. Blown away.

As others have mentioned, it suffers a little bit from the world (Azeroth) not feeling quite connected with the respective scenes/zones

Despite the lack of blood, it's surprisingly brutal. Think Legolas dowing orcs with a 1:1 ratio, and well, it's not like that - here you quite clearly see people die

However, it was definitly worth my money. I'd give it 9/10.

Edit: I'm not that fond of long films, but not for a minute did I think "when is it over?". It also didn't have boring and long scenes akin to LotR (I'm skipping that shit )
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

They shouldn't have allowed the script to be taltered this much. Duncan Jones had a piece of the Warcraft universe to display and how he felt about the script is his own thing. He should've been given the script and if he didn't like how "orcs were the bad guys and how it was a cliche", then he shouldn't have worked on it anyway. There was plenty of room to make up for the "orcs are the bad guys" cliche in a sequel, if one was ever to come, but taking a certain portion of the story and not displaying it correctly is just wrong. As far as I'm informed he had something against the script due to orcs being presented as the bad guys, so he changed the script to make it even. Orcs have had their moments to shine in Warcraft and if they wanted to bring some of that in, then they should've taken a different point of time in the story to cover in the movie. They changed Llane's death and the way he died, the way the orcs were summoned to Azeroth(leaving out Black Morass) and so on.

As someone who is very familiar with the universe, I am fairly disappointed with the story wandering away from how it actually was officially in the lore. The movie is great from a technical point of view though.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-06-11 at 01:50 PM.

Deleted
    2/10.

I was crying a lot with seeing "Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug", and cried even more while watching "Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies". But even then I wasn't crying as much, as when I watched "Warcraft".
    They basically had story written in "The Last Guardian" and "Rise of the Horde", it was really hard to ruin this. Instead of this they gave us cheap, weak as hell, boring and dumb movie about LARP in cosplay. Even this music was annoying, I didn't heard Warcraft in Warcraft, I heard only Game of Thrones.

Blizzard, you just... broke my heart with this movie. You destroyed your own child and paid for this.

Good things in the movie:
    - Dark Portal
    - Stormwind Keep
    - Karazhan
    - orcs
    - elves (except asian looking elf, because elves in WoW have strongly caucasian features!)
    - dwarves
    - gryphons

Bad things in the movie:
    - fucking everything else