Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    For the right price, I'd buy a 970-980 Ti. Especially since nobody has a 1070 in stock. It's a freakin paper launch.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/...vidia/gtx1070/
    I see the Gigabyte 1070 FE being in stock for €540 or €580 (2 different stores in the Netherlands). Ridiculous price, but it's definitely available right now if you're desperate enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    With a $380 MSRP on the 1070, and the current FEs going for more than that, why would you even buy one of those when you can Crossfire 2 RX 480s and get better than 1080 performance. If the rumors are true of course. We'll see at the end of the month. The 480 is going to be $199, so 2 of them is only $398, not that mush more than a 1070, for far better performance. The 1070s and 1080s seems like really stupid decisions if the 480 rumors are true.
    Amd cards suck in compatibility, durability and performance (not to mention how shit their drivers are half the time).

Even if the price is half and the performance is the same, I will still pick nvidia above amd every single time.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    I'm selling my gtx 980 sli next week and getting 1080 sli instead, gonna be saving around 300-400 eur aswell.
    Spending money is not saving money.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Even if a pair of RX 480 crossfires outperform the 1070 by 30%, it's not worth the hassle over a single card solution.

Extra frame of latency of AF SLI, micro-stuttering issues, games not supporting it at all... Yeah, no thanks.

That said, I might get a single RX 480 and get a different £160 card in two years. Rather do that then go all out on a 1070 and hang onto it for longer because it cost so much more.

Amd cards suck in compatibility, durability and performance (not to mention how shit their drivers are half the time).
    Great, show us some proof to back up these claims. Last I checked Nvidia has had worse driver updates in 2016 than AMD has.

You're going to need to provide some sources for those assertions.

Compatibility in what? All games will run on all graphics cards. Gameworks fucks over nVidia cards just the same as it does to AMD cards.
    Durability? You mean nVidia graphics cards live longer? Where does that come from? Personal anecdotes?
    Performance? They are pretty much exactly the same except for a couple of price-points, where AMD has higher performance.
    You want to talk about shit drivers?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvi.../1100-6435657/ (364.51 which was supposed to fix the issues in 364.47 - see below)
    https://www.vg247.com/2016/03/08/the...rivers-issues/ which led to nVidia recalling that revision and re-releasing the 362.00 driver (see http://wccftech.com/nvidia-users-bew...ers-damage-pc/)

On the other hand, AMD has yet to have had a major issue this year. Their last major issue was a bug in Crimson Radeon Settings when a fan profile was set while also running an Afterburner fan profile (which was fixed within 24 hours).

Nobody should be considering buying any of the last-gen parts. Not nVidia, nor AMD. Not with the new stuff releasing this month. Well, unless you already have one and want to use CrossFire/SLI.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-06-11 at 01:27 PM.

So the 480X Crossfire is better than a single 1080 in only a single game... which is like the AMD paradise when it comes to card performance. Real world performance will hit you hard.

Well I bought the GTX 970 a month or so ago and I am more than happy with it. IMO the 1070 isnt really that good, I would rather use my GTX 970 now because it's all I really need atm and when I am ready to upgrade in two years time I will get the next generation after Pascal, Think it's called Volta and instead of rumours about it having HBM like Pascal did, it will have HBM 2 by then in 2018. My next graphics card will have HBM 2 or to me it isnt rly worth the expense.
    Last edited by druenos; 2016-06-11 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    Well I bought the GTX 970 a month or so ago and I am more than happy with it. IMO the 1070 isnt really that good, I w
    ought rather use my GTX 970 now because it's all I really need atm and when I am ready to upgrade in two years time I will get the next generation after Pascal, Think it's called Volta and instead of rumours about it having HBM like Pascal did, it will have HBM 2 by them in 2018. My next graphics card swill have HBM 2 or to me it isnt rly worth the expense.
    Pascal has HBM. Maxwell 3.0 16nm Finfet edition doesn't.

Seriously though, if you're playing on 1080p a 970 is more than fine until Nvidia wrecks its performance with newer drivers. Good thing you can always use the old ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    The driver argument I've heard plenty of times before, but compatibility and durability? What? What? What? Even the driver nonsense has me scratching my head when Nvidia users update and find themselves having to downgrade drivers. The grass isn't greener on the Nvidia side of the fence.
    Even if the price is half and the performance is the same, I will still pick nvidia above amd every single time.
    This is what I see in my mind when I read this. Serious question, are you employed by Nvidia? If so, how much?

Infracted. Don't post meme images to troll people. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2016-06-11 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

Seriously though, if you're playing on 1080p a 970 is more than fine until Nvidia wrecks its performance with newer drivers. Good thing you can always use the old ones.
    I'm talking about pascal for desktops, why would you even use the Tesla card as part of your argument, A Data Centre GPU doesn't count, we are talking about desktop computers, and cards that cost more than a new car is in a different league altogether. I would have thought people would use just a tiny bit of common sense and realized I am talking about the pascal cards for desktops that have been released so far both of which are not HBM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

Does that happen often?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    Does that happen often?
    In the last 2 - 3 years? Quite a lot actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    I'm talking about pascal for desktops, why would you even use the Tesla card as part of your argument, A Data Centre GPU doesn't count, we are talking about desktop computers, and cards that cost more than a new car is in a different league altogether. I would have thought people would use just a tiny bit of common sense and realized I am talking about the pascal cards for desktops that have been released so far both of which are not HBM.
    I see you didn't get the joke. There are no "pascal for desktops".
    Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    Does that happen often?
    You can use Kepler as an example.

I recently switched to 1440p, which causes some of the newer games (DS3, Witcher 3) to lag at highest settings.
    Guess a single 970 is hardly enough to maintain stable 50-60 fps on 1440p for graphic heavy games.

Also noticed that OW doesn't run at 60fps stable so decided to play it on 1080p.
    The difference in quality between 1080 and 1440 is pretty major.

Wish I either waited for the GTX 1070-1080 or never bought a 1440p monitor in the first place.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-06-12 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    I recently switched to 1440p, which causes some of the newer games (DS3, Witcher 3) to lag at highest settings.
    Guess a single 970 is hardly enough to maintain stable 50-60 fps on 1440p for graphic heavy games.

Also noticed that OW doesn't run at 60fps stable so decided to play it on 1080p.
    The difference in quality between 1080 and 1440 is pretty major.
    OW = Overwatch ?

Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    OW = Overwatch ?
    Correct. 50-70 fps on 1440p medium settings with a big increase in hardware lag, almost no hardware lag on 1080p medium settings.
    Whilst the hardware lag seems to be blizzies fault, the major FPS drop in other games makes me wish I waited for these newer cards.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-06-12 at 01:51 AM.

Correct. 50-70 fps on 1440p medium settings with a big increase in hardware lag, almost no hardware lag on 1080p medium settings
    Jesus I get 100 -120 with a 7970 ghz edition O_O with 1440 thats on high btw

Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    Jesus I get 100 -120 with a 7970 ghz edition O_O with 1440 thats on high btw
    Changed some settings and am also hitting 90-110 on high, hardware lag is very noticeable tho. qq

Changed some settings and am also hitting 90-110 on high, hardware lag is very noticeable tho. qq
    Curious what's your processor and Ram ? also is it on an SSD ?